Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Willis McGahee has fractured leg; torn MCL/placed on IR [Merge]

bayone

Next man up or are they on the phone to Addai? I wish Edge had 10 or games left in him.

Hillman , ball & N Moreno still around but none have his power drive nor stamina

Jeremiah Johnson on their practice squad

I am off for today guys , u discuss, this sickens me

Next man up or are they on the phone to Addai? I wish Edge had 10 or games left in him.

I would not be shocked if they go with Addai if he is in good physical shape. He will protect Peyton well, and when given the blocking, gains decent yardage though not as powerful as McGahee. With Jake Scott and Tarik Glenn in the line up, he did well in a part time role. In a full time role with Glenn gone, that is when the wheels fell off with injuries. Then our O-line on the run blocking front went south after Jake Scott left, IMO.

The questions are, is it too late in the season and is Addai in shape?

Hillman , ball & N Moreno still around but none have his power drive nor stamina

I am off for today guys , u discuss, this sickens me

I would not be shocked if they go with Addai if he is in good physical shape. He will protect Peyton well, and when given the blocking, gains decent yardage though not as powerful as McGahee. With Jake Scott and Tarik Glenn in the line up, he did well in a part time role. In a full time role with Glenn gone, that is when the wheels fell off with injuries. Then our O-line on the run blocking front went south after Jake Scott left, IMO.

Broncos work out Steve Slaton

also others that are unnamed

http://www.milehighr...-willis-mcgahee

Those are two big questions. I want to say that I read a report in the last two weeks that the Giants brought Addai in for a look based on their injuries to backs.

Those are two big questions. I want to say that I read a report in the last two weeks that the Giants brought Addai in for a look based on their injuries to backs.

Another name of a guy who still keeps himself in shape is our own Dominic Rhodes. I think he plays in the CFL and whenever his number has been called, he has surprised me more often than not. But he may be long in the tooth w.r.t age unlike Addai. RBs dont last that long in this league, I am surprised McGahee has lasted this long.

Slaton, Hillman, Ball - only Lance Ball has starter body type. Addai does as well to take punishment and is definitely better than McGahee on the ball security front.

Another name of a guy who still keeps himself in shape is our own Dominic Rhodes. I think he plays in the CFL and whenever his number has been called, he has surprised me more often than not. But he may be long in the tooth w.r.t age unlike Addai. RBs dont last that long in this league, I am surprised McGahee has lasted this long.

Slaton, Hillman, Ball - only Lance Ball has starter body type. Addai does as well to take punishment and is definitely better than McGahee on the ball security front.

I could be wrong, but I think Dom might be facing a 4 game suspension if he is signed...

Though the stats show a decent YPC, watching Denver's run game in action hasn't been all that impressive to me. Usually the run game doesn't exist until the fourth quarter when the D eventually gets gassed.

In McGahee's case, he's fumbled five times (so far) on top of it. I don't think this is all too significant a loss.

Still wishing Willis a speedy recovery.

That puts a damper on things, makes yesterdays win that much more important \\

6-8 weeks = mid playoffs

http://www.milehighr...ter-tearing-mcl

Wow, this is terrible news. It's a big loss. He was a reliable back who earned Peyton's trust. I'm seriously bummed.

Ronnie Hillman hasn't shown that he can run between the tackles and Lance Ball is not a good option.

Do you think Adai is a viable possibility? Personally, I would want to see if Knowshon Moreno can step in. I don't know what the issue is with him for the Broncos, but he was a great back in Georgia only several years ago. Why do we keep him around if we had completely given up on him? This can be an opportunity for him to revive his career.

Wow, this is terrible news. It's a big loss. He was a reliable back who earned Peyton's trust. I'm seriously bummed.

Ronnie Hillman hasn't shown that he can run between the tackles and Lance Ball is not a good option.

Do you think Adai is a viable possibility? Personally, I would want to see if Knowshon Moreno can step in. I don't know what the issue is with him for the Broncos, but he was a great back in Georgia only several years ago. Why do we keep him around if we had completely given up on him? This can be an opportunity for him to revive his career.

Should have gone after Doug Martin in the draft or DeAngelo Williams during the trade deadline.

Mcgahee was to big an issue not to report, another link said its tues when will try out other backs including slaton

addai maybe viable, knows Peyton , also gets health issues though , if gets some room can hit line hard , catches and great blocker but was back few years

====================

I always said get Martin at 29 & not give to tampa and great chance could still get wolfe, Also always said no Brock this year

u want to win now get player to help peyton now, were other backs still there before Hilman

above is my opinion right or wrong, know others feel otherwise regarding Brock, all opinions welcome

Now finishing a vital e-,mail; & getting off ,

will only post if important if notice , must take care of my own recurrent injuries

Babs did u get my PM, dont need a responce to it , was a lengthy copy & paste , but just wanted to know if u got it as did it as an extra reply to last pm u sent me from before and dont know if this site then tells via e-mail of such

Pass protection key for candidates to replace Broncos' McGahee

when Broncos coach John Fox mulls his options to replace injured starting running back Willis McGahee, blocking in pass protection becomes paramount.

Mcgahee was injured when tackled low by Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer.

Hillman did more running than blocking in two seasons at San Diego State, rushing for 3,234 yards and 36 touchdowns.

"I have to work on it," Hillman said of pass protection. "Coming from college, it's obviously a different feeling."

bal;l fumbled a pass but piked a blitzer perfectly on an important throw last game if remember right

Fox said Moreno has "looked good" in practice recently. Moreno says he feels great — and obviously fresh.

Read more:Pass protection key for candidates to replace Broncos' McGahee - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...e#ixzz2Cl8yDown

BTW as of monday night San fran Aldon smith has 15 sacks to millers 13, entire 9'r D had another good game

& now that bears dropped 2 in row and same record as packers , now talk to give rodgers the MVP & ashe beat bears earlier in year packers now lead division with tiebreaker

to slow to edit & ran out of time

& now that bears dropped 2 in row and same record as packers , now talk to give rodgers the MVP & as he beat bears earlier in year packers now lead division with tiebreaker

(( Bears without Cutler are now fell to only 5th seed wildcard team ))

& Rodgers has 1 point better rating than peyton

but check out QBR & see how low he is compared to peyton 80.6 ( # 2 ) Vs 69.5 ( # 11)--- Braady # 1 with 81.6

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr put mouse over category of each stat going into QBR to see explanation of what it means , LUCK UP THERE DO TO HIS SCRAMBLING called run epa & its better than RG3

above is your homework ( LOL )

thats it for am, if here news on RB will report if near computer

They need to call Addai up. The young guys they have just don't cut it.

Is there any other RBs on the market?

TELL IT TO FOX

Broncos reportedly set at RB without Willis McGahee

story & video

Video - Fox feels good with who they have , they may discuss later in week about it

Hillman , ball & Moreno

, we may or may not decide to look for another player but ​we feel good about people we have right now, we will see how practice goes to see who is active, usually have 3 by committee so must likely Moreno

TELL IT TO FOX

Broncos reportedly set at RB without Willis McGahee

story & video

Video - Fox feels good with who they have , they may discuss later in week about it

Hillman , ball & Moreno

, we may or may not decide to look for another player but ​we feel good about people we have right now, we will see how practice goes to see who is active, usually have 3 by committee so must likely Moreno

So Knowshon is going to get another chance. We shall see if he can do anything. If not, he was a massive bust. Here is to hoping he can be the back we believed him to be back in in 2009. I'm going to stay optimistic. For now.

(Prison's locked down, so I'm here instead :) )

Just when the Broncos were beginning to gel and really starting to click McGahee goes down with a serious injury. Not good. #18 will make the best of a bleak situation like he always does...

Hey John Elway, Executive VP of Football Operations, call up the NY Jets; get Tim Tebow back, and use him as your short yardage RB since Rex Ryan is barely using him at all. Just Kidding!!! haha

ELWAY

While Denver’s win made it five consecutive victories, one difficulty as the team looks to make it six in a row will be the loss of McGahee to a knee injury. With McGahee, the team’s leading rusher, out with a torn knee ligament, the Broncos will be down a veteran leader, making it important that the rest of Denver’s backs step up in his absence.

“It’s kind of a day-to-day situation, but any time you lose a veteran like Willis that has been a great influence not only on the field but in the locker room in teaching those young guys,” Elway said. “Plus, he’s having a good year, too. He’s going to be missed, but Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball and now Knowshon (Moreno) is going to be active and hopefully he can pick up the slack. Hopefully we don’t lose too much with Willis gone, but it’s hard to replace his leadership and experience that he has in this game.”

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-discusses-defense-mcgahee/

But thats with designation to return , and iif goes as espected article says would be for AFC Champ game

so who knows maybe if right RB comes along in free market or if current ones dont do a thing Broncos may decide to look for 1 now as that is 1 reason to do this move

the article below was slightly earlier than the jay glazer twitter thats 2 hrs old hr used as reference for rotoword

Broncos consider Willis McGahee for injured reserve, but he could return

The team initially reported McGahee would be sidelined six to eight weeks, but that no surgery would be required. Coach John Fox was not ready to put McGahee on injured reserve, but on second thought, the designation maneuver would allow McGahee to be activated in eight weeks anyway, while also opening a roster spot.

If the Broncos place McGahee on injured reserve, he could be replaced by running back Jeremiah Johnson, who is on the team's practice squad.

The Broncos worked out running back Steve Slaton on Tuesday, but he left Dove Valley without a contract.

Read more:Broncos consider Willis McGahee for injured reserve, but he could return - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...n#ixzz2CsgDZOtM

Not suprising. It hurts, but such is life. Knowshon, here is your chance.

That makes McGahee eligible to return to practice on Wednesday, Jan. 2 — three days after Denver's final regular-season game against the Kansas City Chiefs -- and to play in any games after Jan. 16, which leaves only the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl on the NFL schedule.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/McGahee-Placed-IR-Designated-for-Return/7575e3a7-88f4-4c5d-9f31-acdaa3a42530

The IR designation means McGahee will be sidelined six weeks before he can return to practice Dec. 31, which would mark the first day of the postseason.

Injured reserve designation rules then allow McGahee to play in a game in eight weeks — which would be the week of the AFC championship game.

IR or no IR, McGahee would be out six to eight weeks. Basically, this is a common sense procedural move that enables the Broncos to not waste a roster spot the next eight weeks.

For the Broncos, losing McGahee is a potential blow, both to the Broncos and his career. The Broncos' offense features a systematic passing game directed by quarterback Peyton Manning, but the running game has been a significant component because McGahee has proven to be an effective enough alternative to keep defenses honest.

McGahee has run especially well against nickel packages, which in turn has helped freeze defenders a split second during Manning's play-action pass attempts.

The Broncos don't really have another back like him. Ronnie Hillman is an outside, speed runner. Lance Ball is a solid back, but doesn't match the authority McGahee runs with between the tackles. Knowshon Moreno runs hard between the tackles, but doesn't have McGahee's strength.

Ball, Hillman and Moreno are all effective as runners off screen passes.

Read more:Broncos put Willis McGahee on IR, not available until AFC championship game - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...n#ixzz2CtFO9iv5

For the Broncos, losing McGahee is a potential blow, both to the Broncos and his career. The Broncos' offense features a systematic passing game directed by quarterback Peyton Manning, but the running game has been a significant component because McGahee has proven to be an effective enough alternative to keep defenses honest.

McGahee has run especially well against nickel packages, which in turn has helped freeze defenders a split second during Manning's play-action pass attempts.

The Broncos don't really have another back like him. Ronnie Hillman is an outside, speed runner. Lance Ball is a solid back, but doesn't match the authority McGahee runs with between the tackles. Knowshon Moreno runs hard between the tackles, but doesn't have McGahee's strength.

Ball, Hillman and Moreno are all effective as runners off screen passes.

I realize that McGahee is eligible to return for the AFC championship game (!) but I figured it's pretty safe to assume that he is done for the season. I'll treat it like a bonus if he is able to return and if we are still alive then.

It's unfortunate to lose him. He will alos be missed off the field. It's true we don't have a back like him, but this is how it goes in the NFL. I'm going to keep an open mind as to what our plan B is.

I realize that McGahee is eligible to return for the AFC championship game (!) but I figured it's pretty safe to assume that he is done for the season. I'll treat it like a bonus if he is able to return and if we are still alive then.

It's unfortunate to lose him. He will alos be missed off the field. It's true we don't have a back like him, but this is how it goes in the NFL. I'm going to keep an open mind as to what our plan B is.

Brock is no plan B for Peyton, they should have well u know my feelings on draft Broncos should haver done, then would be no worries at all and if anything more potent & most likely same D pick in wolfe

“For this week, I think we feel very comfortable with who we have,” Head Coach John Fox said.

“That can change based on anything we might do but I think it’s fair to say, and pretty obvious, that we’ll pull from guys that we have that know our system.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Filling-the-Void/821f31cc-7aaa-4ffe-8bba-4f007f5180af

Questions remain as to whether McGahee's replacement will be filled by a Free Agent or will Denver simply promote Jeremiah and find another player for the Practice Squad. Steve Slaton had a tryout at Dove Valley on Tuesday and Jacob Hester came in for a look Wed.. At the very least, the Broncos are exploring their options

A LIST OF FREE AGENTS ARE GIVEN & DISCUSSED

http://www.milehighr...-willis-mcgahee

before willis placed on IR just found this note

RB Steve Salton had impressive workout w/DEN today. Have 3 RBs so no room on 53 right now but if McGahee goes to IR he'd be signed

http://RB Steve Salton had impressive workout w/DEN today. Have 3 RBs so no room on 53 right now but if McGahee goes to IR he'd be signed

Jeremiah Johnson - RB - Broncos

The Broncos aren't expected to sign a free agent running back unless Willis McGahee is placed on injured reserve at some point.

Steve Slaton reportedly had an impressive workout on Tuesday, but the Broncos are more likely to turn to practice squad RB Jeremiah Johnson if they need depth at the position.

Source: Jason LaCanfora on Twitter

Nov 20 - 7:42 PM

http://www.rotoworld...s/nfl/football/ need to put in Broncos as team and look for said date

this is good news now they dont have to worry bout him fumbling the game away

This.

The receivers have cured their fumbulitis in recent weeks, but the running game continues to cough it up. McGahee is a decent back, but usually Denver's run game is a no show until the fourth quarter when the opposing D is gassed. The run blocking isn't great, but it's not terrible like ours is.

Looking forward to seeing what Moreno and co. have to offer in the coming weeks, and wishing Willis a speedy recovery.

This.

The receivers have cured their fumbulitis in recent weeks, but the running game continues to cough it up. McGahee is a decent back, but usually Denver's run game is a no show until the fourth quarter when the opposing D is gassed. The run blocking isn't great, but it's not terrible like ours is.

Looking forward to seeing what Moreno and co. have to offer in the coming weeks, and wishing Willis a speedy recovery.

I picked up Ronnie Hillman. Hopefully, because he has been used much less than McGahee, and has gotten reps with the first team offense all along, he could have a lot of gas left in his tank. Reminds me of a Joe Addai situation in his rookie year when Addai was coming off the bench behind Rhodes and once the playoffs started, it was Addai starting. The only difference is Hillman is much less of a between the tackles runner like Addai who was bigger, and maybe it wont matter if he is in a timeshare.

On a separate note, didn't Steve Slaton use to fumble the ball too as a Texan? Isn't that why Arian Foster got the chance in the first place?

On a separate note, didn't Steve Slaton use to fumble the ball too as a Texan? Isn't that why Arian Foster got the chance in the first place?

Pretty spot on, yes.

Back to McGahee, his pass blocking ability seems a notch above the rest. However, I don't see his absence being too big an issue with #18 as the QB and a good pass blocking line overall. Besides, if Manning could survive behind Indy's line the past 3-4 seasons he was there he can survive Denver's.

Pretty spot on, yes.

Back to McGahee, his pass blocking ability seems a notch above the rest. However, I don't see his absence being too big an issue with #18 as the QB and a good pass blocking line overall. Besides, if Manning could survive behind Indy's line the past 3-4 seasons he was there he can survive Denver's.

Slaaton did fumble thats why texans gave up on him

correct, Hillman hasnt shown much at all in blocking, Ball picked up a blitzer nicely last week

Teams respected the Colts wr & TE more than the few Broncos have so even when couldnt run they bited on the playaction, we will have to see about denver

Broncos may have to change offensive alignment to protect Peyton

McGahee, at 235 pounds, was the Broncos' big-back option in an offense that does its best work running right over the center. The Broncos have had 34.9 percent of their carries over center this season, almost three times as many as any other spot across the offensive front.

The Broncos have also averaged 4.5 yards per carry in those runs, far better than their 3.9 yards per carry overall.

McGahee was clearly the Broncos' best option on those inside runs.

Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball and Knowshon Moreno have not shown they can consistently make those runs work, especially if the Broncos continue the offensive approach they used with McGahee in the lineup. And that was to run out of a three-wide receiver set.

As a result, the Broncos may have to make some concessions to McGahee's torn knee ligament. They may like to work out of the three-wide look, but they may now have to work more out of two tight-end looks or two-back looks in run-down situations.

Manning needs an effective run game to keep the pass rushers out of the middle of the field and to keep play-action as an offensive option. No quarterback in the league is better at play-action and it's always been a big part of whatever offensive playbook he's used through the years.

None of those things happen, though, if defenses are simply teeing off on a three-wide receiver set, knowing the Broncos will not run the ball with any consistency.

The Broncos will likely bring in a bigger back at some point in the coming weeks, however, and took a look at 235-pound Jacob Hester in recent days. They also looked at Steve Slaton, a 5-foot-9, 208-pounder who rushed for over 1,200 yards as a Texans rookie in 2008, but hasn't topped 100 yards rushing in his previous three seasons

But no matter who comes in, the Broncos will need the backs already here — Hillman, Ball and Moreno — to be more decisive in the middle of the field, because if the Broncos can't run between the tackles they'll have a lot more difficult time protecting Manning there too.

Read more:Without Willis McGahee, Broncos have a running riddle to answer - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...r#ixzz2D2kldESX