Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is a tipped pass on the quarterback or just good 'D'?

oldunclemark

Is a tip a good defensive play ...a bad QB decision..throwing into coverage ..luck or all 3..

Some times?..most of the time?....more than half the time?

When I see a tipped pass intercepted..I tend NOT to blame the thrower..Is that wrong?

....Anything that the QB lets go is ultimately his reponsibility, right?

Is a tip a good defensive play ...a bad QB decision..throwing into coverage ..luck or all 3..

When I see a tipped pass intercepted..I tend NOT to blame the thrower..Is that wrong?

It depends IMO. If the ball is placed right in the receivers hands and they let it go, then that isn't on the QB. Anything else I would account to being on the thrower.

Peyton Manning says the quarterback signs the check on every pass, but I believe that when it comes to tips and deflections you have to look at them on an individual basis to say whether it was a poor throw/decision by the QB or an outstanding play by the DB.

Yesterday was a good example of a defensive game plan IMO. Knowing an opponents routes, and having your LB`s drops set accordingly.

And Andrew consistently NOT Leading his receivers at a high level. A game of inches. Brady throws Hard and precise. Be interesting to see the jugs speed on both of their throws. I think Andrew will strengthen his arm and throw harder in time.

It's a good question. I think that it's more situational. Did the QB pump the ball? Did he look off the defense? Did he not pay attention to where the defensive lineman/LB was?

Sometimes it's just an incredibly athletic play, and other times it's the QB being too predictable.

I thought the Bears interceptions vs/ Andrew Luck opening day were great defensive plays....

FJC is right...in interception totals.....there should be stats for clean picks and tipped picks....and you should subtract Hail Mary's like pitchers dont count intentional walks

Some coaches on 3rd & long go even deeper, to test a defense and if it is picked off it as basically as good as a punt. Turnovers are not always equal. I don't think that any is ever considered good, but some are much worse than others based on D&D, field position/time/score/etc.

I would say they are 95% of the time on the Qb simply because you have to fit it into tight coverage alot or take risk. Its the nature of the game. And since he is usually the highest paid player on the team and the leader.I would say since he delivers the ball he should be responcible. jmo.....

It's a good question. I think that it's more situational. Did the QB pump the ball? Did he look off the defense? Did he not pay attention to where the defensive lineman/LB was?

Sometimes it's just an incredibly athletic play, and other times it's the QB being too predictable.

And Andrew has not yet mastered the pump fake nor the look off. He definitley needs to incorporate them into his game, but once he does he'll be that much more dangerous.