•  

Photo

Is a tipped pass on the quarterback or just good 'D'?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 13138 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Is a tip a good defensive play ...a bad QB decision..throwing into coverage ..luck or all 3..

Some times?..most of the time?....more than half the time?

When I see a tipped pass intercepted..I tend NOT to blame the thrower..Is that wrong?

....Anything that the QB lets go is ultimately his reponsibility, right?

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Indyfan4life

Indyfan4life

King Optimistic

• 1303 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Is a tip a good defensive play ...a bad QB decision..throwing into coverage ..luck or all 3..

When I see a tipped pass intercepted..I tend NOT to blame the thrower..Is that wrong?

It depends IMO. If the ball is placed right in the receivers hands and they let it go, then that isn't on the QB. Anything else I would account to being on the thrower.

#3 IndyTrav

IndyTrav
  • 2856 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

At the end of the day, all INTs are on the QB and its a shame. I'd really wish that statistically they get broken down by instance.

Hail Mary Int

Tipped Pass Int

Hitting the WR Int.

The rare "miraculous" int.

All get counted against a guy, and prob shouldn't.

I like to argue. 

#4 FireJimCaldwell

FireJimCaldwell
  • 6076 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Peyton Manning says the quarterback signs the check on every pass, but I believe that when it comes to tips and deflections you have to look at them on an individual basis to say whether it was a poor throw/decision by the QB or an outstanding play by the DB.

#5 FireJimCaldwell

FireJimCaldwell
  • 6076 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

At the end of the day, all INTs are on the QB and its a shame. I'd really wish that statistically they get broken down by instance.

Hail Mary Int

Tipped Pass Int

Hitting the WR Int.

The rare "miraculous" int.

All get counted against a guy, and prob shouldn't.

You could add QB/WR Mis-communication to that list as well.

#6 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 3486 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I wonder how J.J. Watt answers this question?

#7 throwingBBS

throwingBBS
  • 2583 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Yesterday was a good example of a defensive game plan IMO. Knowing an opponents routes, and having your LB`s drops set accordingly.
And Andrew consistently NOT Leading his receivers at a high level. A game of inches. Brady throws Hard and precise. Be interesting to see the jugs speed on both of their throws. I think Andrew will strengthen his arm and throw harder in time.

#8 ViriLudant

ViriLudant
  • 1143 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

It's a good question. I think that it's more situational. Did the QB pump the ball? Did he look off the defense? Did he not pay attention to where the defensive lineman/LB was?

Sometimes it's just an incredibly athletic play, and other times it's the QB being too predictable.

#9 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 13138 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I thought the Bears interceptions vs/ Andrew Luck opening day were great defensive plays....

FJC is right...in interception totals.....there should be stats for clean picks and tipped picks....and you should subtract Hail Mary's like pitchers dont count intentional walks

#10 FireJimCaldwell

FireJimCaldwell
  • 6076 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

I thought the Bears interceptions vs/ Andrew Luck opening day were great defensive plays....

FJC is right...in interception totals.....there should be stats for clean picks and tipped picks....and you should subtract Hail Mary's like pitchers dont count intentional walks

Some coaches on 3rd & long go even deeper, to test a defense and if it is picked off it as basically as good as a punt. Turnovers are not always equal. I don't think that any is ever considered good, but some are much worse than others based on D&D, field position/time/score/etc.

#11 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL
  • 2608 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'm of the mind most are on the QB. Even throwing into lanes occupied by lineman that jump to deflect it. However, there are time incredible plays are made. Fantastic ones by the DB's/LB's or unbelievably bad one's by WR's/RB's.

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.”       -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

#12 SIXTHOBJECT

SIXTHOBJECT
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I would say they are 95% of the time on the Qb simply because you have to fit it into tight coverage alot or take risk. Its the nature of the game. And since he is usually the highest paid player on the team and the leader.I would say since he delivers the ball he should be responcible. jmo.....
CHUCK STRONG!!!

#13 No 1 Manning Fan

No 1 Manning Fan
  • 806 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

It's a good question. I think that it's more situational. Did the QB pump the ball? Did he look off the defense? Did he not pay attention to where the defensive lineman/LB was?

Sometimes it's just an incredibly athletic play, and other times it's the QB being too predictable.

And Andrew has not yet mastered the pump fake nor the look off. He definitley needs to incorporate them into his game, but once he does he'll be that much more dangerous.

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      24 Apr
    MOB

Opening against the Broncos. Maybe this is a sign of destiny?

Show comments (3)
View All Updates