Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jerry hughes

coltfaninnewyork

http://indiana.sbnation.com/indianapolis-colts/2011/7/17/2280094/colts-de-jerry-hughes-arrested-early-sunday-morning-in-dallas

Colts 2010 First Round draft pick Defensive End Jerry Hughes was arrested early Sunday morning at a Dallas night club, according to WFAA-TV in Dallas (via Pro-Football-Talk). Also arrested were former TCU teammates Stephen Hodge, a former Dallas Cowboy, and current TCU senior DT Cory Grant

The three athletes were taken into custody at The Bank nightclub, 1313 Main Street, for public intoxication at around 2:30 a.m.

Police say officers working nearby noticed a disturbance in the nearby nightclub and saw it continue outside on the sidewalk. The men were taken to the City Detention Center.

--

Public intoxication is a pretty broad term, it could mean any number of things. Jerry, keep your head screwed on straight, don't do stupid things.

I'm actually somewhat surprised there haven't been more instances league-wide like this during the lockout. These young guys have so much more free time on their hands than they normally would, and the huge money from their contracts, and the temptation is there. Add that to the fact that Hughes wasn't a big part in the gameplan last season and he probably felt like he was twiddling his thumbs. Unfortunately, he needed to use that as MOTIVATION for this season. He can overcome this, just as McAfee overcame his swim last season, but he needs to realize and admit his mistake and use it as a springboard. These things can go either way...I hope he takes this and makes something positive out of it.

The article didn't say what the 'disturbance' was.

This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. It's not like he was driving or anything.

Drinking is legal........drinking too much happens,

Only difference for these guys is when they do that, it's national news.

I don't think it's any reflection on his potential as a player

I just saw about his arrest on Channel 13 last night. Sigh!!! Hope he will learn from this and try not to make the same mistake again. He is professional athlete. He needs to know the media is tracking his every move and so is the NFL. He is not some average joe that gets arrested for being drunk and not having his name thrown around the news and sports news. I guess he lived and learned his lesson. Or I hope he lived and learned it. As of I know this his is first mistake? We all make first mistakes in life.

I'll chalk this one up to "kids will be kids" but he'd better grow up fast.

He's 23 years old (or will be in about 5 week). Is that still a kid in America? That to me, is adulthood. Not saying drinking and getting drunk is a crime, but this is not about age (as people of all ages get pretty drunk most of the time). This is about making the correct (or should I say incorrect) choices as a professional footballer.

He's 23 years old (or will be in about 5 week). Is that still a kid in America? That to me, is adulthood. Not saying drinking and getting drunk is a crime, but this is not about age (as people of all ages get pretty drunk most of the time). This is about making the correct (or should I say incorrect) choices as a professional footballer.

I'm 39 so ya....thats a kid. 23 year olds are prone to doing things like havin a few drinks and creating a few fusses. What he did is no higher a degree of crime than speeding or jay-walking.

He had some drinks with his college buddies. I'm not excusing his arrest, I just think we're often really quick to throw judgments around.

He had some drinks with his college buddies. I'm not excusing his arrest, I just think we're often really quick to throw judgments around.

The only judgement I'm throwing around is he shouldn't have got done. Not a big deal, but it will not help his already dodgy career one little bit. He pays his money he takes his chance. He's not a kid, so he can't blame anyone else.

Hopefully he will get his chance to prove all the doubters (including me) wrong.

The only judgement I'm throwing around is he shouldn't have got done. Not a big deal, but it will not help his already dodgy career one little bit. He pays his money he takes his chance. He's not a kid, so he can't blame anyone else.

Hopefully he will get his chance to prove all the doubters (including me) wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying he's not to be held accountable, just that he's young and prone to have lapses in judgment, like almost any other 22 year old "kid." I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of it; it's always worthy of concern when someone has an alcohol-related infraction on their record. On the other hand, it's not nearly serious enough to say "get rid of him."

I also don't think this has anything to do with his so-called "dodgy career." It doesn't help it, but that's true whether he's a bust or a home run pick.

A lot of people are eager for Jerry Hughes to fail so they can say "look, Polian screwed that pick up," because they either didn't agree with the pick or because they just don't like Polian. I certainly didn't agree with the pick, but I don't think Hughes' subpar rookie year means he's never going to be a good player. And I think it would be a HUUUUGE mistake to cut him at this point, especially over this issue. Suspend him for a game, just like we did McAfee (this is less serious than that was), and then move on. People are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't think anyone is saying he's not to be held accountable, just that he's young and prone to have lapses in judgment, like almost any other 22 year old "kid." I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of it; it's always worthy of concern when someone has an alcohol-related infraction on their record. On the other hand, it's not nearly serious enough to say "get rid of him."

I also don't think this has anything to do with his so-called "dodgy career." It doesn't help it, but that's true whether he's a bust or a home run pick.

A lot of people are eager for Jerry Hughes to fail so they can say "look, Polian screwed that pick up," because they either didn't agree with the pick or because they just don't like Polian. I certainly didn't agree with the pick, but I don't think Hughes' subpar rookie year means he's never going to be a good player. And I think it would be a HUUUUGE mistake to cut him at this point, especially over this issue. Suspend him for a game, just like we did McAfee (this is less serious than that was), and then move on. People are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think we basically agree on this. I'm sure you know I'm not a Polian fan, but I want every player to be pro-bowl calibre for us! I'm not really a 'cut off nose' sort of guy.