Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

“The game is over...Our total and complete focus is on Buffalo.”

corgi

Yesterday was rough...but alas the sun came up this morning and we still have Buffalo on Sunday. This can be a discussion about the Bills Colts game Sunday, but I want to say just how proud I am of Dwayne Allen, and how lucky we are to have him on this team. There is a really good star article up right now about Dwayne Allen and the thread title is just one of many wonderful quotes that shows wisdom beyond years from our rookie TE. These others caught my attention...

.“The game in its entirety told everyone that we are not good enough yet to beat a championship contending team.” “The best thing about that is that we have six weeks to get better and prove we are a playoff team.”

So lets not dwell on what can't be changed, and lets look forward to hopefully a thrashing of Buffalo in Indy on Sunday!

Of all the games on the schedule, this is the one I thought we had the least chance to win....

........a loss to Buffalo, a Pitt win at Cleveland (likely) and a Cincy win over Oakland (likely) and we lose our hold on that last playoff spot.

Its a must-win.

We'll see if we can re-focus and regain confidence.....I thought we gave up defensively at the and of the game Sunday

Its a must-win.

none of the games are "must win". people have to realize something: we are not seriously competing this season for anything significant. It will be a serious struggle to win 9 games this year. If we end up winning 9 games, that is quite the achievement.

If we make it to the playoffs, amazing and improbable. If we somehow don't make it one and done and actually get through to the second round, complete overachievement, and a team like the Pats or Texans will blow us out of the water in the playoffs. I'll reference the Broncos from last season as an example.

I'll be at the Bills game and I look forward to us learning from our mistakes yesterday and making progress. The Bills will be a tough opponent...they have a pretty good QB and RB.

I'm excited about my first visit to LOS in over 2 years. GO COLTS!!!

Everyone keeps saying we made mistakes against the Pats and we will learn from them. We made many of the same mistakes against lesser teams than the Pats but we were bailed out by dropped interceptions, missed fumbles, and referees. We finally ran into a much more superior team. Obviously, someone isn't learning from those mistakes.

Luck continues to force the ball to receivers and Arians continues to call long developing pass plays with a porous O line. At this point, and with the level of talent we have on the team, there is not much left to learn. If we have learned enough 10 games into a 16 game season the we are what we are. Luck was clearly uspet more so than we've seen him all season.

Many people complain that RGIII is successful only because they run a very simple offense for. If running a simple offense was that easy then why isn't every QB successful and why isn't every team doing it?

Of all the games on the schedule, this is the one I thought we had the least chance to win....

........a loss to Buffalo, a Pitt win at Cleveland (likely) and a Cincy win over Oakland (likely) and we lose our hold on that last playoff spot.

Its a must-win.

We'll see if we can re-focus and regain confidence.....I thought we gave up defensively at the and of the game Sunday

you do know we dont lose the 6th seed even with a loss and cinci win right??? we own the tie breaker over cinci. based off of win % in the conference. the Bengals are 3-5 in conf. as for the colts who are 4-3 in conference. that one extra loss by the bengals gives us the edge still.

Everyone keeps saying we made mistakes against the Pats and we will learn from them. We made many of the same mistakes against lesser teams than the Pats but we were bailed out by dropped interceptions, missed fumbles, and referees. We finally ran into a much more superior team. Obviously, someone isn't learning from those mistakes.

Luck continues to force the ball to receivers and Arians continues to call long developing pass plays with a porous O line. At this point, and with the level of talent we have on the team, there is not much left to learn. If we have learned enough 10 games into a 16 game season the we are what we are. Luck was clearly uspet more so than we've seen him all season.

Many people complain that RGIII is successful only because they run a very simple offense for. If running a simple offense was that easy then why isn't every QB successful and why isn't every team doing it?

Simple offenses are great in terms of helping rookies adjust to the speed of the NFL. The problem is a defense can adjust a lot easier to a simple offense than say a complex offense. There is a reason Washington has won 4 games, and got smacked in the mouth by Pittsburgh. Simple offense also contribute to the dreaded Sophomore slump.

Ugly loss, but I wasn't expecting a win anyway,so 1 point or 100 points, didn't matter.

Thing is, this season is "fun", but the team isn't yet ready to compete with the best on the road. I'm not posting much right now, because many of "us" aren't simply enjoying the fact that this thing is on the right track. That's it.

Every game from here out will be a major challenge for the squad because there is a real chance of postseason play. The Bills and Lions are going to both be very difficult for the Colts, but I do have a prediction. They will score 24 points.

none of the games are "must win". people have to realize something: we are not seriously competing this season for anything significant. It will be a serious struggle to win 9 games this year. If we end up winning 9 games, that is quite the achievement.

If we make it to the playoffs, amazing and improbable. If we somehow don't make it one and done and actually get through to the second round, complete overachievement, and a team like the Pats or Texans will blow us out of the water in the playoffs. I'll reference the Broncos from last season as an example.

its not as improbable as you make it seem. If they beat the bills Sunday they just need to beat the titans at home a team they already beat on the road and beat KC one of the worst if not the worst team in football and they are at nine wins. Is it a sure thing? No but it is something that can be accomplished.

The Pats are a good team and are beginning their run. I hate their team, the players, fans and coach (but it unfortunately is one of my favorite parts of the country). The good news for me is very few injuries, Luck has showm he can shake it off and Buffalo will be a challenge, but the game is entirely winnable.

This is when we get to see what the team is made up of. We will get to see their character by how they bounce back.

(This will be my last post for a while as apparently I need to get approved to be able to post more and I am at my posting limit for November.)

WE are comp;eting for something very significant.

Success. As opposed to failure...

Making the playoffs in the NFL is THE minimum barometer of success...

...One-and-done is not failing...

Not making the playoffs is failure........lets not predict what will happen in the post-season...when we dont even know who we're playing

I dont believe in the Pats....they got completely turnt up for the Colts as usual....but without Gronk for a month and half they will not be the same team.....Good Luck fools

What?? sorry break your delusion they were more MAD about their bad performance a week earlier against Buffalo than worried about the colts. If anything the Colts set themselves up by not changing the snap count! The Pats were jumping the snap count ALL day!

As for Gronk he will def be missed but IF Hernandez comes back team will be fine on the O side.

I disagree about none of the games being a must win game and I disagree with you saying we are not playing for anything significant. We play to win I can't make it any more simple then that. That's why they practice all weak and make sacrifices before taking the fiel, all of that effort apnd hard work can't be in vain.

Even if it's mathmatically impossible to get into the playoffs from here on out, they are still playing for something significant which is the pride of their city and fanbase. I dont think they should not play with any less intensity for the rest of the year even if the playoff spot is shut, the name of the game then becomes fijish with pride.

Even if they DO make the playoffs and make a first round exit, I would still be proud! Now lets destroy buffalo!

I disagree about none of the games being a must win game and I disagree with you saying we are not playing for anything significant. We play to win I can't make it any more simple then that. That's why they practice all weak and make sacrifices before taking the fiel, all of that effort apnd hard work can't be in vain.

Even if it's mathmatically impossible to get into the playoffs from here on out, they are still playing for something significant which is the pride of their city and fanbase. I dont think they should not play with any less intensity for the rest of the year even if the playoff spot is shut, the name of the game then becomes fijish with pride.

Even if they DO make the playoffs and make a first round exit, I would still be proud! Now lets destroy buffalo!

Why are people acting like the season is completely over and the playoffs are a pipe dream!? It's true, the Colts got destroyed by the Patriots and it's more than obvious this team is not ready for a championship, but at the current moment the Colts are the top wild card team.

What?? sorry break your delusion they were more MAD about their bad performance a week earlier against Buffalo than worried about the colts. If anything the Colts set themselves up by not changing the snap count! The Pats were jumping the snap count ALL day!

As for Gronk he will def be missed but IF Hernandez comes back team will be fine on the O side.

Now you're on the team and know everyone's thoughts...get outta here dude....either way Gronk>>>Hernandez and you know that as well....You'll probably lose to the Jets on Thursday.

Ha, what a joke. We are what are record says we are. You have such a defeatist attitude built on not getting your hopes up cause you act like we are last years team or the team that was predicted to pick in the top 5 of the draft again. We are a team with a shot at the playoffs. It will be dissappointing if we do not make the playoffs. Who cares if we get blown out in the playoffs. I would rather lose 100-0 to the patriots in the playoffs than to have the guys sitting at home watching the wild card round. We are competing for something serious and that is setting the tone for next season and building confidence back into this team.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - rude

Spell check much? Guess not.

Learning from mistakes doesn't mean you don't make mistakes. It doesn't mean you don't turn the ball over, or that you change your gameplan moving forward.

Luck forcing the ball to receivers didn't cost us any chances yesterday. It was getting hit while throwing, and a bad throw. Good quarterbacks have to make throws through tight windows. You don't stop throwing between defenders just because you throw a couple interceptions. When you do that is when you become Matt Cassel or Kevin Kolb -- completely ineffective at moving your team down the field.

We were cut down by a much better team yesterday, and that's just the way it goes. It's not the end of the world, though. I think everyone knew that we weren't as good as the Pats before the game, but we were hopeful that we wouldn't just give the game away. Most fans will acknowledge that we're not as good as the Packers, even though we beat them. The point in learning as the season goes on is that it helps you refine your talent and get better. It doesn't mean you'll never get beat again.

Another thing, we have a ton of first and second year players playing a big role on this team right now. I'm surprised we've played as well as we have, in particular when it comes to finishing close games. True, it's been done against mediocre teams, and we've had the benefit of some calls, but that doesn't change the fact that we've won five games by less than a touchdown. That's something that will translate into more wins as time goes on. I'll take it.

The thing that did not work vs the Pats can work vs the Bills.

Fitzpatrick makes way more mistakes in the passing game than Brady (duh :)).

So, if we contain the run like we did vs the Pats against the Bills, we can pick Fitzpatrick off 1 or 2 times, and that is how the game will be won. Another close scrappy one like we played vs the Dolphins, IMO.

On offense, we have to run the rock 30+ times against the worst rush D in the league, that is a no brainer to me.

If we somehow don't make it one and done and actually get through to the second round, complete overachievement, and a team like the Pats or Texans will blow us out of the water in the playoffs. I'll reference the Broncos from last season as an example.

If, as yesterday, they turn the ball over and give up big special teams plays, yes. If, however, they play a clean game and finish drives, they can beat anyone. They move the ball as well as anyone in the league. This team, as it is currently constituted, can beat anyone or lose to anyone. Are they winning the Super Bowl? No. But if you get their clean game one day in the playoffs, I wouldn't want to play them.

The thing that did not work vs the Pats can work vs the Bills.

Fitzpatrick makes way more mistakes in the passing game than Brady (duh :)).

So, if we contain the run like we did vs the Pats against the Bills, we can pick Fitzpatrick off 1 or 2 times, and that is how the game will be won. Another close scrappy one like we played vs the Dolphins, IMO.

On offense, we have to run the rock 30+ times against the worst rush D in the league, that is a no brainer to me.

Exactly think i said this same thing in another thread... whatever happened to being a run focused team "power run" Ballard has gotten better we need to run a lot more than we have. even when we were beating the Jags... we didn't commit to the run as we should have. hope we focus on buffalos D avgs and come in with a game plan to take advantage.

its not as improbable as you make it seem. If they beat the bills Sunday they just need to beat the titans at home a team they already beat on the road and beat KC one of the worst if not the worst team in football and they are at nine wins. Is it a sure thing? No but it is something that can be accomplished.

I think what he's getting at is that the Colts have already overacheieved this season. They've already won more games than were expected. Nobody would judge them harshly for missing the playoffs after coming off such a terrible season last year while trying to rebuild the team. The Playoffs would just be icing on the cake. I don't think we should expect it and we shouldn't expect to advance through the playoffs. If we do, that's just a little more icing.

I think what he's getting at is that the Colts have already overacheieved this season. They've already won more games than were expected. Nobody would judge them harshly for missing the playoffs after coming off such a terrible season last year while trying to rebuild the team. The Playoffs would just be icing on the cake. I don't think we should expect it and we shouldn't expect to advance through the playoffs. If we do, that's just a little more icing.

I agree it's icing on the cake but if you look at what they have already done and what is left you can honestly look at things and go hey this team should make the playoffs. Now if they don't is it a reason to blow up the whole team and start over? Clearly not but it's getting to the point based on what they have done and what is left it's a very realistic possibility.

I dont believe in the Pats....they got completely turnt up for the Colts as usual....but without Gronk for a month and half they will not be the same team.....Good Luck fools

I would guess that one of BillyB's learnings from that game is that next time he's at 58, and running up the score, ignore the point-after kick, and try a 2-point conversion with Gronk off the field - isn't a chance at 60 better anyway?.

I agree it's icing on the cake but if you look at what they have already done and what is left you can honestly look at things and go hey this team should make the playoffs. Now if they don't is it a reason to blow up the whole team and start over? Clearly not but it's getting to the point based on what they have done and what is left it's a very realistic possibility.

Yes, based on their record they probably should make the playoffs. But, it shouldn't have been expected. That's what I was saying. And we shouldn't be expecting them to win a playoff game. At this point in their development, they are probably not ready to take on the AFC elite in an elimination game. Of course, any given Sunday and team could defeat any other. I'm just saying that logic would dictate otherwise.

The other thing that all of us new to remember is that while the record still looks strong at this point, this is still a largely a young team and that is a very precarious 6-4 record. We should probably expect some more growing pains. This is not a team built for immediate, all or nothing, success. They are rebuilding for long term success. We need to expect success down the road. I wouldn't find it shocking if we get knocked out of the playoff picture, not would I be upset. I am already happy with success I've seen and the promise that the young guys are showing.

Yes, based on their record they probably should make the playoffs. But, it shouldn't have been expected. That's what I was saying. And we shouldn't be expecting them to win a playoff game. At this point in their development, they are probably not ready to take on the AFC elite in an elimination game. Of course, any given Sunday and team could defeat any other. I'm just saying that logic would dictate otherwise.

The other thing that all of us new to remember is that while the record still looks strong at this point, this is still a largely a young team and that is a very precarious 6-4 record. We should probably expect some more growing pains. This is not a team built for immediate, all or nothing, success. They are rebuilding for long term success. We need to expect success down the road. I wouldn't find it shocking if we get knocked out of the playoff picture, not would I be upset. I am already happy with success I've seen and the promise that the young guys are showing.

I don't think anyone said anything about expecting a playoff win I know I am not. I also think we agree for the most part. I was just pointing out that if you look at what the Colts have done so far and what is left on the table the playoffs aren't as much of a long shot at they were say at the start of the season. No question the Colts have surpassed most expectations this year.

I'll be at the Bills game and I look forward to us learning from our mistakes yesterday and making progress. The Bills will be a tough opponent...they have a pretty good QB and RB.

I'm excited about my first visit to LOS in over 2 years. GO COLTS!!!

I'll be there too... my first game at LOS so I'm all :excited: about it... (labels out)

I would guess that one of BillyB's learnings from that game is that next time he's at 58, and running up the score, ignore the point-after kick, and try a 2-point conversion with Gronk off the field - isn't a chance at 60 better anyway?.

I think the NFL should do away with extra point kicks. They are far too dangerous. :sarcasm:

Get a gripe off yoursefl. Go join a speling be if thgat what flaots you're boat.
Grammar Police, reporting to duty!

"Spell check much? Guess not."--ColtStrong

I agree fellas. Spelin...Speling...Spallings...Spelling is overrated.

As long as I can piece together the bulk of a person's reply, that's all that matters to me. True, a person's vocabulary and mastery of prose and the English language matter, but come on ColtStrong we all make mistakes right? Heck, even William Shakespeare, the greatest playwright who ever lived, often spelled words out phonetically by how they sound vs rigid rules of grammar.

No one needs to diagram sentences here. This isn't Freshmen English 250. Thank you. No disrespect intended ColtStrong. Have a pleasant evening sir.

Why do people make this unfounded claim anyway? It's the defense's responsibility to stop the offense period. This isn't pee wee football; It's the National Football League. This argument has no merit, no legs, and no validity IMO.

Bill Belichick is a fine HOF coach who manhandled the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. Lick your wounds, dust yourself off, and move on please. We will see them again, but right now we have some heavy lifting to do as a team. We are in no position to mock, criticize, or condemn the Patriots right now willysp plain and simple. They crushed us; give NE props and go to work IMO.

Yesterday was rough...but alas the sun came up this morning and we still have Buffalo on Sunday. This can be a discussion about the Bills Colts game Sunday, but I want to say just how proud I am of Dwayne Allen, and how lucky we are to have him on this team. There is a really good star article up right now about Dwayne Allen and the thread title is just one of many wonderful quotes that shows wisdom beyond years from our rookie TE. These others caught my attention...

.“The game in its entirety told everyone that we are not good enough yet to beat a championship contending team.” “The best thing about that is that we have six weeks to get better and prove we are a playoff team.”

So lets not dwell on what can't be changed, and lets look forward to hopefully a thrashing of Buffalo in Indy on Sunday!

I love the positive attitude here corgi! I ran out of likes. Grrr! An awesome post BTW! :thmup:Corgis are fantastic dogs too. ;) I had a neighbor who had one where I used to live. I like your slogan too: "I'm the Colt of personality." Nice!

corgi.jpg

Its a must-win.

An interesting perspective oldunclemark...Buffalo is a hard team to get a read on. HC Chan Gailey has a good feel for a balanced air and ground attack, DC Dave Wannstedt won a SB in Dallas and I liked him as HC of the Miami Dolphins too. He will keep Mario Williams alert, fundamentally sound, and motivated. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick & RB CJ Spiller can be a lethal tandem when they are on fire too.

Buffalo is the only NFL team actually located in NY & they seem to get less media attention than Seattle in the Pacific Northwest. Odd...Anyway, the Bills are very dangerous squad to me in an "under the radar" kind of way. How could they be under the radar considering that they almost beat NE at home recently & NE never loses in Foxboro period. Our D must show up all 4 quarters in this game no question about it. Score: Colts 24 Buffalo 21 IMO.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - off topic

I get what you are saying Phil. My logic side says that our squad just isn't quite ready to come out on all cylinders with our full arsenal of weapons and guns blazing just yet. My diabolical mayhem side says ride the dark horse, underdog gravy train and play team spoiler all year exceeding expectations and knocking established veteran teams on the turf, tundra, and field grass as often as possible. No team is a Champion on paper baby!

Be a playoffs thorn in every NFL opponents backside. Being the villain is always more fun than being the noble and self righteous saint. With diminished league expectations for the BLUE Horseshoe comes...organized chaos and chaos can be very enticing, liberating, and exhilarating...

Be a controlled, contained, and an unstable "Basket Case" and make your opponent's head spin. :devil: Bring the HEAT... :rawr::Nuke:

"Simple Me Complex You"...

I would say that we all have different levels of hope, expectations, and accomplishment that we attach to our team. Mine are personal to me. Telling someone they are unrealistic about their levels of these concepts seems like a waste of time as well as undermining to a vibrant forum atmosphere. I have wallowed around in that puddle many times since 97'. Just my view on it.

I had an acceptance of the future for this year when the whole scope of change throughout the franchise was realized. It was a new team in so many ways that I knew I would be setting myself up for failure if I expected unreal levels. I also know that if I forget what I originally saw of this team's future and raised the level of expectations after a couple of wins, that was just the same as doing it before the year started. (doesn't mean that I didn't reeeeeally want to beat the Pats).

But to answer the OP, I like D Allen and he gets it. I relate to the message that gets displayed to the fans through the average Colt player.... hard work, respect for the game and each other, and belief.....that is where the victory is achieved every Sunday.

We are 10 - 0 in my book. :cheers:

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, November 21, 2012 - off topic

I would say that we all have different levels of hope, expectations, and accomplishment that we attach to our team. Mine are personal to me. Telling someone they are unrealistic about their levels of these concepts seems like a waste of time as well as undermining to a vibrant forum atmosphere. I have wallowed around in that puddle many times since 97'. Just my view on it.

I had an acceptance of the future for this year when the whole scope of change throughout the franchise was realized. It was a new team in so many ways that I knew I would be setting myself up for failure if I expected unreal levels. I also know that if I forget what I originally saw of this team's future and raised the level of expectations after a couple of wins, that was just the same as doing it before the year started. (doesn't mean that I didn't reeeeeally want to beat the Pats).

But to answer the OP, I like D Allen and he gets it. I relate to the message that gets displayed to the fans through the average Colt player.... hard work, respect for the game and each other, and belief.....that is where the victory is achieved every Sunday.

We are 10 - 0 in my book. :cheers:

I like you wine & glass celebration icon guy there WH. :thmup: Now, if you could just train Mr. Blue Happy Hour to retrieve bottles of wine from the basement for you WH you'd have it made in the shade my friend. Bottoms up...Just Kidding!!!

Keep up the :blueshoe: optimism man!

http://youtu.be/5wiHFpGfb88