Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HarassedOffTheSite

We Are Who We Thought We Were

61 posts in this topic

...a middle of the pack 8-8 team (9-7, 7-9).

We can compete but we still have many holes to fill (talent wise) on the Offensive & Defensive line, LB corps and Defensive backfield.

Our QB can ball out but he is a rookie. Our WRs & TEs can play. We did well running and stopping the run. But our Defense is mediocre at best. The DBs aren't good enough to press and hold their own and force good QBs to have to 5 or 7 step it. We did not get any push up the middle that would've required a double team and free'd up our LBs to get any consistent pressure. Our Ordinary teams punt, kickoff return and coverages were anything but Special.

Ehhhh. I hear people trying to continue the playoffs mantra. And I understand. But we'll be on the road against a good team (like last night). We just don't have the horses yet. We can compete so that is a victory when compared to last year. And I guess that'll be enough for me this season.

True, but a middle of the pack team is still a lot better than anybody logically would have guessed. Mediocre D is a compliment considering our DBs and D line are probably a D+.

Yet, the AFC is so bad we may make the playoffs but default by winning three more games.

Uhmm... Expecting more success than this is just being stupid.. People around here seem to think "Oh, we won last week, we must be REALLY, REALLY good now". It was the Patriots, HOF QB & coach.

I admit the Colts played very bad, but this is getting out of hand, because the offense is filled with rookies, our 2 starting CBs are injured and yes the rest of the defense needs help, but you have to put this into perspective; a lot of "reloading is going on and the NFL is not an easy league. Look at a team like Carolina; had great progress last year, but this year not so much..

I think we are headed in the right direction and I am not suprised we got wooped by a team from the last Super Bowl.

2 people like this

Pats fans are who we thought they were. The worst.

I mean, why were they booing Adam Vinateri the entire game? How many SB's did the guy win for you?

3 people like this

I wouldnt say that...

I dont want to knee jerk....

We arent great when we win....we arent stupid to expect success when we lose...

Absolutely NOTHING changed Sunday.....

we have 4 winnable games where we can make the post-season...which is the only goal you can have during the regular season, to me..

Sunday's game was very similar to the opener at Chicago...

There is no 'direction'......you just have to give effort that i thuohgt we lacked at the end of the game

I mean, why were they booing Adam Vinateri the entire game? How many SB's did the guy win for you?

Lolly.....didnt the Pats let him go because of the money..Do I remember that right....Why were they booing him???

1 person likes this

Lolly.....didnt the Pats let him go because of the money..Do I remember that right....Why were they booing him???

Yes. Colts gave him more money so he came to us.

They should boo Belichick for leaving Gronk in and breaking his arm lol.

Incorrect. The Patriots actually did offer him the same amount of money as the Colts did at the end. He chose to go to the Colts to kick in a dome (well, that's what most think, anyway).

I wouldn't have booed him, but I understand why some did. It's like when Johnny Damon went to the Yankees.

Incorrect. The Patriots actually did offer him the same amount of money as the Colts did at the end. He chose to go to the Colts to kick in a dome (well, that's what most think, anyway).

I wouldn't have booed him, but I understand why some did. It's like when Johnny Damon went to the Yankees.

Interesting. And by "interesting" I mean "completely untrue." There was no contract offered by NE.

The Pats snubbed Adam by refusing to sign him to a deal and instead franchising him the previous year. Since the Pats had no interest in signing him to a deal after that franchise year, he left. The only thing Adam did was not ask the Pats if they wanted to match the Colts offer. The Pats had already shown Adam they didn't want him (read his quotes in the article where he clearly refers to this). They pushed him out. Why would he then go back and say, "hey, do you want to match this offer from Indy?"

So, Adam "chose" the Colts over the Patriots (as you put it) only if you seriously think it's choosing to leave by not begging a team to re-sign you when that team made it clear they did not want to do so.

At a press conference March 23 introducing him to the Colts media, Vinatieri did not offer particulars of how he landed in Indy. Earlier this week here at the Rose-Hulman Institute, where the Colts train, Vinatieri confirmed he did not give the Patriots the chance to match Indianapolis's offer, and explained how he came to leave the only franchise he had ever played for.

``Everybody knows I had a great run in New England," Vinatieri said. ``I enjoyed my experience there, but this is a business.

``The Patriots clearly expressed to me that it was a business by the decisions they made. So I had to examine my options."

Vinatieri said he became concerned about his long-term future in New England as far back as the end of 2004, a year in which he nailed 93.9 percent of his field goals (31 of 33) and 100 percent of his PATs (48 for 48) in the regular season, then was a perfect 5 for 5 in field goals and 10 for 10 in PATs in the playoffs.

``I saw it coming," Vinatieri said. ``I had a real nice season [in 2004], but the negotiations for a new contract were not going the way we thought they would. I don't know . . . I told my agent [Jonathan Hurst], `I don't need to know the day-to-day details. Call me if they offer me something decent.' They ended up franchising me.

``I understand the business. I'm not naive. But [2004] was a good time to get a long-term deal done. I wish they had."

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/08/10/vinatieri_shunned_patriots/?page=full

2 people like this

Does ViriLudant post anything you can trust?

Says the guy who said that Brady is a systems QB.

Weird as it sounds, we actually did some positive things yesterday amidst getting shredded by the Patriots' elite passing attack and Julian Edelman channeling his inner Percy Harvin.

We ran the ball well before we had to abandon it, and we contained the Pats run game with the exception of the Edelman play later on. We also made some great plays in the passing game, but turnovers and drops killed us. There's never such a thing as a good 5 TD loss, but we have more positives we can take out and build on than most teams that get blown out.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty upbeat about the Buffalo game.

2 people like this

Yeah, there were some great pluses, I thought, for the Colts. The running game looked good, until the Patriots started getting momentum defensively. The fake reverse worked very well.

Luck is going to be an outstanding QB. Once he and his weapons mesh, things will be good. Of course, the team will need to become as balanced defensively, as we saw during Peyton's time here.

Oh, and the run defense looked very, very solid yesterday.

2 people like this

The difference I saw was that early, the line was holding up well.

Luck had time and we had a few holes open for the run.

When the Pats D tightened up, luck was in hurry mode and with no run threat, the Pats were able to do whatever they wanted.

I think if we can get the line solidified and add a playmaker on D, we are going to be in good shape.

1 person likes this

At 6-4, the Colts are better than I thought they'd be. It's Thanksgiving, and the Colts are the 5 seed in the AFC. Seriously? The last place schedule has and will help, but I still think at the core this team is closer to the 2-14 team than they are a 14-2 team. There are glaring needs, in lots of places still. And I wish the losses at Chicago, NY, and NE weren't as ugly. But this turn around, the optimism I feel, has made this year awesome. 2-14 to playoff contender? The Colts are not what I thought they'd be, they are far better.

Brady is a system QB.

And everyone (who isn't a Patriots* fan...or a contrarian troll) knows it. Take away the victories directly resulting from the Patriots* Cheating Scandal and he is a system QB with the same number of Super Bowl wins as Luck.

If it weren't for the typical rookie mistakes (turnovers) a QB with 10 NFL games under his belt (27/50/334yds/2TD/3int) went blow for blow with the veteran system QB Brady (24/35/331yds/3TD).

We are exactly where I thought we'd be.

This team isn't as chock full of rookies as folks on these boards will have you believe. winning wasn't something that was so far fetched. there are a lot of players on this teams defense and some parts of the offense that remember the days of winning, and know how to win.

Did we win some games I thought we'd lose? yes. Did we lose some games I thought we'd win? Yes.

Yes, we have a new GM, new coaches, new schemes etc. But at the end of the day all we did was replace a constant with a variable, and for the most part the variable has been pretty good.

Either way, we are in the weakest division in the weakest conference with the easiest schedule.

If you enter the season with expectations of anything other than winning a super bowl, then you are doing it wrong.

1 person likes this

Brady is not a system QB. I tried for years to hate the guy. But the fact of the matter is, he's great. Simple as that.

You can say Adam V won those SBs(he did) or Bill B is the best coach (he is) or they have/had some of the best weapons in the NFL (they have/do) but the bottom line is Brady is great. He's accurate, consistent, a leader, makes smart decisions, and is arguably the greatest QB of our generation. I will always be biased towards Manning, but Brady is right there with him in every respect.

Look no further than that first TD pass to Gronk. In the seem, ball on a rail, into Gronks hand. That's an All Pro play, one that Brady makes all the time. Props to him.

1 person likes this

We can compete but we still have many holes to fill (talent wise) on the Offensive & Defensive line, LB corps and Defensive backfield.

Our QB can ball out but he is a rookie. Our WRs & TEs can play. We did well running and stopping the run. But our Defense is mediocre at best. The DBs aren't good enough to press and hold their own and force good QBs to have to 5 or 7 step it. We did not get any push up the middle that would've required a double team and free'd up our LBs to get any consistent pressure. Our Ordinary teams punt, kickoff return and coverages were anything but Special.

Ehhhh. I hear people trying to continue the playoffs mantra. And I understand. But we'll be on the road against a good team (like last night). We just don't have the horses yet. We can compete so that is a victory when compared to last year. And I guess that'll be enough for me this season.

Depends.

We are not who I thought we were at the beginning of the season, which was at best a 3-5 win team in my mind.

We are who I thought we were on Saturday just before this game, which is a team that would get routed by the Pats, finish with around 9 wins and could possibly sneak into the playoffs, where we get beat in the first round. I would be thrilled with this sceanrio.

Depends.

We are not who I thought we were at the beginning of the season, which was at best a 3-5 win team in my mind.

Oh no. I called 8/8. I thought we were better than 3 wins on Andrew Luck alone.

We are who I thought we were on Saturday just before this game, which is a team that would get routed by the Pats

I thought so.

...finish with around 9 wins and could possibly sneak into the playoffs, where we get beat in the first round. I would be thrilled with this sceanrio.

It is definitely an improvement on last season.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I am very proud of this team. Very surprised that Mr. Grigson could put together a collection of players, castoff from other teams and FA's that would play football this well. New coaches, new system, and we have a winning record???? WOW, I would never have believed it. Having Andrew Luck is a big plus, but he is still a rookie. Still hasn't learned to throw the ball away instead of trying to make a completion when it isn't possible. Polian left this team buried in dead money. Next year, with another draft and a bunch of room under the salary cap and this will be a team to be reckoned with. A second year in the new system, coach Pogano back, and an influx of new talent. I'll enjoy any success we have this year and look forward to next year with anticipation.

3 people like this

Weird as it sounds, we actually did some positive things yesterday amidst getting shredded by the Patriots' elite passing attack and Julian Edelman channeling his inner Percy Harvin.

We ran the ball well before we had to abandon it, and we contained the Pats run game with the exception of the Edelman play later on. We also made some great plays in the passing game, but turnovers and drops killed us. There's never such a thing as a good 5 TD loss, but we have more positives we can take out and build on than most teams that get blown out.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty upbeat about the Buffalo game.

we gave up 100+ rushing yards, what are you talking about? It was a tick poor game by the players and especially the coaches(defensive coordinator actually)

Oh no. I called 8/8. I thought we were better than 3 wins on Andrew Luck alone.

I thought so.

It is definitely an improvement on last season.

I was just speaking for what I thought they were going to be prior to the season. So for me, they are definitely better than I thought they would be.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the eastern seaboard mentality,sad but true :spit: not all of them act like that but a good portion do,this comment is not meant to offend anyone but if it does step back take a deep breath count to ten and look in the mirror :Yikes::funny::hat:

We ran the ball well before we had to abandon it

We ran the ball well early, but in the second quarter, the Pats started to shut it down. It was before we had to abandon it.

What does this personal shot at BC have to do with the fact that what you said concerning Vinatieri and the Patriots offering him a contract was entirely false? It is a fact that there was no contract offered Adam. You vs. BC on whether or not Brady is a system QB is a matter of opinion unless Brady were to light it up in another system.

We are exactly where I thought we'd be.

This team isn't as chock full of rookies as folks on these boards will have you believe. winning wasn't something that was so far fetched. there are a lot of players on this teams defense and some parts of the offense that remember the days of winning, and know how to win.

Did we win some games I thought we'd lose? yes. Did we lose some games I thought we'd win? Yes.

Yes, we have a new GM, new coaches, new schemes etc. But at the end of the day all we did was replace a constant with a variable, and for the most part the variable has been pretty good.

Either way, we are in the weakest division in the weakest conference with the easiest schedule.

If you enter the season with expectations of anything other than winning a super bowl, then you are doing it wrong.

I don't understand what you're saying. It seems like you didn't expect us to be all the good, but you make it sound like you expected us to contend for a Super Bowl.

1 person likes this

What does this personal shot at BC have to do with the fact that what you said concerning Vinatieri and the Patriots offering him a contract was entirely false? It is a fact that there was no contract offered Adam. You vs. BC on whether or not Brady is a system QB is a matter of opinion unless Brady were to light it up in another system.

Pretty good info on Vinatieri's decision to leave the Pats: http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/08/10/vinatieri_shunned_patriots/?page=full

Anouncers were saying Luck was giving away snap count,Lol it was Satelle bobbing his head on passing downs,Im sorry think we are far better with Shipley in the middle

1 person likes this

Pretty good info on Vinatieri's decision to leave the Pats: http://www.boston.co...iots/?page=full

yeah that's the very article I quoted and linked towards the top of the page. The title is totally misleading because he didn't "shun" them; they didn't offer him a deal and so he went elsewhere and then didn't beg them to bring him back. That's hardly "shunning."

Brady is a system QB.

And everyone (who isn't a Patriots* fan...or a contrarian troll) knows it. Take away the victories directly resulting from the Patriots* Cheating Scandal and he is a system QB with the same number of Super Bowl wins as Luck.

If it weren't for the typical rookie mistakes (turnovers) a QB with 10 NFL games under his belt (27/50/334yds/2TD/3int) went blow for blow with the veteran system QB Brady (24/35/331yds/3TD).

brady is anything but a system qb. the guy has gotten done under a more dink and dunk offense under charlie weis, the air it out vertical attack of of josh mcdaniels, and then the two te end attack of obrien. i'm sure there were some similarities, but brady has proven he can get it done however the offense wants to attack.

yeah that's the very article I quoted and linked towards the top of the page. The title is totally misleading because he didn't "shun" them; they didn't offer him a deal and so he went elsewhere and then didn't beg them to bring him back. That's hardly "shunning."

Im with you my freind,should he have been beating the Crafts door down to stay,heck no.,At least he has some pride in himself.Im outta those dreaded LIKES
1 person likes this

This is absolutly correct, IMO we have ALREADY beaten my expections of the season win wise & we are competative. Honstestly I see maybe 1 or 2 wins more with the remaining schedule.

So you predicted 8-9 wins .. pre season.... ???

And an 8-8 type team is exactly who Indy is right now.

Ah. It's written by a Boston outlet, so of course it's going to sensationalize in favor of the team.

I wasn't linking it to say you were wrong. I think there's truth in what both of you are saying. Either way, the split seemed mutual to me.

I predicted 6 or seven wins,were there id agree 8 and 8 possibly 9 and 7 ,and probably a one and out in the wildcard game,but in all honesty it all happens one game at a time

So you predicted 8-9 wins .. pre season.... ???

And an 8-8 type team is exactly who Indy is right now.

I don't see us going 2-5 to finish this season. I'd be disappointed in anything worse than 3-4. The Bills are beatable, the Titans are beatable, the Chiefs are beatable, the Lions are beatable (I'd rather play them now than the Bills, to be honest). And we might get a gimme in Week 17.

1 person likes this

I don't see us going 2-5 to finish this season. I'd be disappointed in anything worse than 3-4. The Bills are beatable, the Titans are beatable, the Chiefs are beatable, the Lions are beatable (I'd rather play them now than the Bills, to be honest). And we might get a gimme in Week 17.

Yep.... IMO only a total collapse would be very disappointing...

But in reality... This team cannot afford any more injuries... but I think KC, Buff @ home, and the last Hou game will be near sure bets.