Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the "rivalry" die please?

ConBro

I know this seems like a "falling sky" sort of thread this close to ground zero, but man oh man... can we quit with the "rivalry" talk?

The talking heads make this sound like Luck and Brady have 15 years of facing each other. Manning is gone. So is the rivalry. We are no longer an AFC East team.

When they flexed this game, I knew what happened today would happen. We would get beaten and then the headlines would pile up regarding us and our "Luck" running out. Ha-ha.... clever pun. I hope we have a new "rivalry" soon. Without the Patriots.

Oh it's dead. And sadly I don't even feel it's that fun with Denver either since Brady owns the head to head matchup vs. Manning and owns that Broncos D.

But, they had to create some story lines for this game. Brady vs. the new kid in town blah blah. I kinda wish they kept it at as early game though.

Just because Manning isn't here anymore, and Brady isn't playing for 15 years to come, does not mean that several years of hatred and grudges will simply die down.

I hate the Patriots, and I love beating them more than any other team in the league. The rivalry may change, it may even fade: But old, rooted emotions doesn't simply just "die".

The rivalry precedes you as a fan probably, but you have to understand that some of us remember when the Colts and Pats were in the same division. I've been watching the pats vs the colts since Bert Jones was the QB.

And its not just Tom vs Peyton, but I can how those that became fans during the Manning era could see it that way.

The rivalry precedes you as a fan probably, but you have to understand that some of us remember when the Colts and Pats were in the same division. I've been watching the pats vs the colts since Bert Jones was the QB.

And its not just Tom vs Peyton, but I can how those that became fans during the Manning era could see it that way.

Wish we never left the East.

Dolphins should have been thrown in the South.

The rivalry was always lopsided anyways. I think Luck v. Locker or Tanne makes more sense.

Pats were our nemisis until we started smacking yall down in 05 and broke your hearts in the AFCC in 06 on the way to our Lombardi. 06 was when Colts became a rival and Pats stopped being our nemesis. We went back and forth for awhile until the last couple of seasons without Peyton.

Historically, the Pats have owned the series record by a comfortable margin though.

Colts fans of the Manning era will never have any love for the Patriots but as time goes by I think the Luck era Colts will forge new more relevant rivalries of their own.

No, it wasn't.

It really is pretty lopsided. All time, I think the numbers in the regular season are like 47-29, Patriots ahead, and 2-1 Patriots in the playoffs. Or thereabouts. That's lopsided. Especially since they played each other twice a year for a long time... Just for some perspective, the Bears Packers are 92-87-6 all time, Bears leading.

Oh it's dead. And sadly I don't even feel it's that fun with Denver either since Brady owns the head to head matchup vs. Manning and owns that Broncos D.

Oddly enough, Brady's last 3 playoff games vs both Peyton and Eli have not turned out well for him though the one with Peyton was 6 years ago. :)

Eli has the luxury of Brady not playing the Giants D often and there in lies the difference with the Giants D being able to win more battles vs the Pats' O-line. We will find out when Peyton plays Brady again in the playoffs. Kinda like a last hurrah between those two (Peyton & Brady) in the playoffs. Despite being in playoff contention consistently, they have met each other just 3 times in the playoffs and more times in the regular season in the last decade.

• 4 weeks later...

Something tells me at some point Bengals vs Colts will become a nice rivalry. Luck Vs Dalton, two Texas high school products.  The Bengals have put together a pretty nice little team.  Stout defense, and they have added some nice young weapons on offense. Especially A.J. Green, Sanu, and some of the other guys.  Even right now I feel like they may wind up winning the 2nd wildcard spot over the Steelers.  Honestly I think if we some how ran across them in the playoffs(not likely) they'd put up a pretty good fight.

Something tells me at some point Bengals vs Colts will become a nice rivalry. Luck Vs Dalton, two Texas high school products.  The Bengals have put together a pretty nice little team.  Stout defense, and they have added some nice young weapons on offense. Especially A.J. Green, Sanu, and some of the other guys.  Even right now I feel like they may wind up winning the 2nd wildcard spot over the Steelers.  Honestly I think if we some how ran across them in the playoffs(not likely) they'd put up a pretty good fight.

Excellent post krunk!

I see a lot of similarities between Dalton & Luck as well: veins of steel ice water, no desire to become media superstar showboaters, good WR's & TE's on both squads, both have selective amnesia & can forget interceptions the moment after they throw them, & both are capable of winning games in under a minute. Don't let their "Aw shucks Mr." interview tactic fool you...Both men have a killer instinct when the circumstance on the field demands it. Plus, the Bengals defense will be good to fine tune or ground game against as well IMO.

Excellent post krunk!

I see a lot of similarities between Dalton & Luck as well: veins of steel ice water, no desire to become media superstar showboaters, good WR's & TE's on both squads, both have selective amnesia & can forget interceptions the moment after they throw them, & both are capable of winning games in under a minute. Don't let their "Aw shucks Mr." interview tactic fool you...Both men have a killer instinct when the circumstance on the field demands it. Plus, the Bengals defense will be good to fine tune or ground game against as well IMO.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Bengals on our regular season schedule next year.  If the league is paying attention like I think they probably are.

Just because Manning isn't here anymore, and Brady isn't playing for 15 years to come, does not mean that several years of hatred and grudges will simply die down.

The rivalry may change, it may even fade: But old, rooted emotions doesn't simply just "die".

Yes, I will always deplore and despise the Dallas Cowboys with the venomous poison of a thousand cobras and 10,000 jellyfish tentacle toxins regardless of how well my beloved Colts are doing. 

It will never be the same without Peyton but I think there isn't a Colts fan alive that doesn't enjoy when the Pats lose.  I view it much like the Pacers/Knicks rivalry.  It wasn't the same after Reggie and Ewing were done playing but I think fans on both sides still enjoy seeing the other side lose. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="krunk" data-cid="360469" data-time="1355632574"><p>

It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Bengals on our regular season schedule next year. If the league is paying attention like I think they probably are.</p></blockquote>

The schedules just go through a cycle.... no one picks our opponents.

agreed

post-254-0-00371800-1342605236.gif