Photo

Can the "rivalry" die please?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 ConBro

ConBro
  • 1137 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I know this seems like a "falling sky" sort of thread this close to ground zero, but man oh man... can we quit with the "rivalry" talk?
The talking heads make this sound like Luck and Brady have 15 years of facing each other. Manning is gone. So is the rivalry. We are no longer an AFC East team.

When they flexed this game, I knew what happened today would happen. We would get beaten and then the headlines would pile up regarding us and our "Luck" running out. Ha-ha.... clever pun. I hope we have a new "rivalry" soon. Without the Patriots.

:blueshoe: 2013 AFC South Champions :blueshoe:

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 15646 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Why?
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#3 Fx Stryker

Fx Stryker
  • 5641 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

We won't play them next year. Happy?

#4 trueblueblood

trueblueblood
  • 815 posts

Its OK, we'll spank them next time

#5 Jules

Jules
  • 7506 posts

Oh it's dead. And sadly I don't even feel it's that fun with Denver either since Brady owns the head to head matchup vs. Manning and owns that Broncos D.

But, they had to create some story lines for this game. Brady vs. the new kid in town blah blah. I kinda wish they kept it at as early game though.

#6 TMPHBITEU

TMPHBITEU
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Just because Manning isn't here anymore, and Brady isn't playing for 15 years to come, does not mean that several years of hatred and grudges will simply die down.

I hate the Patriots, and I love beating them more than any other team in the league. The rivalry may change, it may even fade: But old, rooted emotions doesn't simply just "die".
He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic. Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.

#7 BleedingBlue

BleedingBlue
  • 1010 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

The rivalry precedes you as a fan probably, but you have to understand that some of us remember when the Colts and Pats were in the same division. I've been watching the pats vs the colts since Bert Jones was the QB.

And its not just Tom vs Peyton, but I can how those that became fans during the Manning era could see it that way.
Calvin Johnson drops 2 passes in the 4th Quarter? Really?

#8 Snowglobe

Snowglobe
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

The rivalry was always lopsided anyways. I think Luck v. Locker or Tanne makes more sense.

Peyton Manning - 12 playoff losses - most in NFL history

#9 Jules

Jules
  • 7506 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think they said Luck was in the 6th grade when the Pats beat the Rams in the SB.

God that made ME feel old.

#10 Demon

Demon
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

The rivalry was always lopsided anyways.

No, it wasn't.

#11 LJpalmbeacher

LJpalmbeacher
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

The rivalry will be renewed later this season when we meet again in playoffs which we will once again hold patriots to under 60 points.

#12 Fx Stryker

Fx Stryker
  • 5641 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

The rivalry precedes you as a fan probably, but you have to understand that some of us remember when the Colts and Pats were in the same division. I've been watching the pats vs the colts since Bert Jones was the QB.

And its not just Tom vs Peyton, but I can how those that became fans during the Manning era could see it that way.

Wish we never left the East.

Dolphins should have been thrown in the South.

#13 Coltsman1788

Coltsman1788
  • 2264 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

The rivalry was always lopsided anyways. I think Luck v. Locker or Tanne makes more sense.

Pats were our nemisis until we started smacking yall down in 05 and broke your hearts in the AFCC in 06 on the way to our Lombardi. 06 was when Colts became a rival and Pats stopped being our nemesis. We went back and forth for awhile until the last couple of seasons without Peyton.

Historically, the Pats have owned the series record by a comfortable margin though.

Colts fans of the Manning era will never have any love for the Patriots but as time goes by I think the Luck era Colts will forge new more relevant rivalries of their own.
The Colts...Imprinting horse shoes on kicked butts since 1953.
Colts.com posts: 1,115

#14 SOMDColtsfan

SOMDColtsfan
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Why? Because Peyton left? This is great for football in general and a tribute to Peyton that even though he`s no longer a Colt his legacy lives on. I look forward to many more years of this matchup long after Brady has retired.

#15 NorCalColt

NorCalColt
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

No, it wasn't.

It really is pretty lopsided. All time, I think the numbers in the regular season are like 47-29, Patriots ahead, and 2-1 Patriots in the playoffs. Or thereabouts. That's lopsided. Especially since they played each other twice a year for a long time... Just for some perspective, the Bears Packers are 92-87-6 all time, Bears leading.

#16 ConBro

ConBro
  • 1137 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

The rivalry will be renewed later this season when we meet again in playoffs which we will once again hold patriots to under 60 points.

This made me smile-- thanks! :D

:blueshoe: 2013 AFC South Champions :blueshoe:

#17 Andy

Andy
  • 8887 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

The media will always keep hyping it up, so no, it probably won't die.

Andy
Writer for: The Montreal Gazette, and various other websites

Posted Image

#18 chad72

chad72
  • 9251 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Oh it's dead. And sadly I don't even feel it's that fun with Denver either since Brady owns the head to head matchup vs. Manning and owns that Broncos D.

Oddly enough, Brady's last 3 playoff games vs both Peyton and Eli have not turned out well for him though the one with Peyton was 6 years ago. :)

Eli has the luxury of Brady not playing the Giants D often and there in lies the difference with the Giants D being able to win more battles vs the Pats' O-line. We will find out when Peyton plays Brady again in the playoffs. Kinda like a last hurrah between those two (Peyton & Brady) in the playoffs. Despite being in playoff contention consistently, they have met each other just 3 times in the playoffs and more times in the regular season in the last decade.

#19 Vltrophy1

Vltrophy1
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

There's always the next game. Granted it took Peyton about 7 games to get his first win over Brady then won the next 5. Luck might be able to get the W after the 3rd or 4th game

#20 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL

Off IR and into the PUP

• 3161 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

58 or bust!

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.”       -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

#21 Brooklyn Colt

Brooklyn Colt
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

not unless the Patriots franchise do first..

#22 krunk

krunk
  • 3604 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Something tells me at some point Bengals vs Colts will become a nice rivalry. Luck Vs Dalton, two Texas high school products.  The Bengals have put together a pretty nice little team.  Stout defense, and they have added some nice young weapons on offense. Especially A.J. Green, Sanu, and some of the other guys.  Even right now I feel like they may wind up winning the 2nd wildcard spot over the Steelers.  Honestly I think if we some how ran across them in the playoffs(not likely) they'd put up a pretty good fight.

#23 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13424 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Something tells me at some point Bengals vs Colts will become a nice rivalry. Luck Vs Dalton, two Texas high school products.  The Bengals have put together a pretty nice little team.  Stout defense, and they have added some nice young weapons on offense. Especially A.J. Green, Sanu, and some of the other guys.  Even right now I feel like they may wind up winning the 2nd wildcard spot over the Steelers.  Honestly I think if we some how ran across them in the playoffs(not likely) they'd put up a pretty good fight.

Excellent post krunk!

I see a lot of similarities between Dalton & Luck as well: veins of steel ice water, no desire to become media superstar showboaters, good WR's & TE's on both squads, both have selective amnesia & can forget interceptions the moment after they throw them, & both are capable of winning games in under a minute. Don't let their "Aw shucks Mr." interview tactic fool you...Both men have a killer instinct when the circumstance on the field demands it. Plus, the Bengals defense will be good to fine tune or ground game against as well IMO.

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#24 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13424 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I wouldn't say always Snowglobe, but I will concede that 1 man alone took away 2 Colts Championships from us: Ty Law... :sigh:

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#25 krunk

krunk
  • 3604 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Excellent post krunk!

I see a lot of similarities between Dalton & Luck as well: veins of steel ice water, no desire to become media superstar showboaters, good WR's & TE's on both squads, both have selective amnesia & can forget interceptions the moment after they throw them, & both are capable of winning games in under a minute. Don't let their "Aw shucks Mr." interview tactic fool you...Both men have a killer instinct when the circumstance on the field demands it. Plus, the Bengals defense will be good to fine tune or ground game against as well IMO.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Bengals on our regular season schedule next year.  If the league is paying attention like I think they probably are.

#26 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13424 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Just because Manning isn't here anymore, and Brady isn't playing for 15 years to come, does not mean that several years of hatred and grudges will simply die down.

The rivalry may change, it may even fade: But old, rooted emotions doesn't simply just "die".

Yes, I will always deplore and despise the Dallas Cowboys with the venomous poison of a thousand cobras and 10,000 jellyfish tentacle toxins regardless of how well my beloved Colts are doing. 

#27 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 13487 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

It will never be the same without Peyton but I think there isn't a Colts fan alive that doesn't enjoy when the Pats lose.  I view it much like the Pacers/Knicks rivalry.  It wasn't the same after Reggie and Ewing were done playing but I think fans on both sides still enjoy seeing the other side lose. 

Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#28 Tsarquise

Tsarquise
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="krunk" data-cid="360469" data-time="1355632574"><p>
It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Bengals on our regular season schedule next year. If the league is paying attention like I think they probably are.</p></blockquote>

The schedules just go through a cycle.... no one picks our opponents.

#29 coltsrule91

coltsrule91
  • 8329 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

well you dont have to worry. unless we win the division we wont play the patriots next year

its not T.Y its T.watttttttttt WHAT DID T JUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 15646 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

agreed

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#31 SilentHill

SilentHill

Next Man Up

• 3536 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

post-254-0-00371800-1342605236.gif

“What he does on the field – he’s an assassin…Class with cruelty.” – Jim Harbaugh on Andrew Luck

"It's okay to be smarter than everyone else, but you can't go around pointing it out!" – Mary Cooper

#32 Snowglobe

Snowglobe
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I wouldn't say always Snowglobe, but I will concede that 1 man alone took away 2 Colts Championships from us: Ty Law... :sigh:

Yup and oddly enough Manning had a lot of success when Ty Law left. 2005, 2006 specifically. 

Peyton Manning - 12 playoff losses - most in NFL history

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Sep
    Bogie

South Saturn Delta - Oh my an actual Hendrix cash in with good material. Midnight/Midnight Lightning are real winners on this record.

View All Updates