Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deion Branch released by New England Patriots

krunk

Is Talib good to go today, or is he still banned?

He is playing... Though I doubt he'll make much of an impact if any. He hasn't been able to practice or learn the Pats defense. If anything he'll be floating around just trying to make plays. I'd love to see Avery burn him a couple of times.

Why did they cut him then? Was it to save money?

It was just a roster move, consistent with how the Patriots managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest. The cut made room for defensive lineman Alex Silvestro, who probably was added to replace injured Rob Gronkowski on special teams.

I believe Branch will be re-signed as soon as he is healthy. He has stated he wants to retire a Patriot. The move was made simply because Wes Welker has a bad ankle and Brandon Lloyd has a bad knee so that leaves Julian Edelman as the only healthy WR. Salas was added for depth.

I understand the move. It'd be different if they cut Welker or something.

Sure, that is great and all, but it's not the same thing. If I told you you had a chance to play in a Super Bowl or to get a ring no matter what, I think you'd take playing in the Super Bowl.

Wasn't Underwood on the team win they won the AFCCG? He was deserving of that ring anyway. I doubt if Belichek really gave him a choice. I still don't know of any other coach who would cut someone the night before a Super Bowl.

It was just a roster move, consistent with how the Patriots managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest. The cut made room for defensive lineman Alex Silvestro, who probably was added to replace injured Rob Gronkowski on special teams.

Understood. I was just curious.

On another note, and not just for Pats fans, anyone know a good Pats board? I like to get opposing teams fans POV. I usually go to their SB Nation site.

Understood. I was just curious.

On another note, and not just for Pats fans, anyone know a good Pats board? I like to get opposing teams fans POV. I usually go to their SB Nation site.

Link removed. Please do not link to another forum per board rules.

Edited by Coltssouth
Link to another forum

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Did you miss Buckner's new extension? The one with the large signing bonus and void years? 
    • I like Latu, but don't you think there's a significant number of teams that are scared off by his medical? And then a couple more who will downgrade him because of his age?
    • yeah pretty much what I figured.  If they are going to start mixing up coverages and running more man coverage, then sure grab a CB in the first.  If they're going to continue being a mostly zone team regardless, then no, no round 1 CB.
    • The mission is to build something that has us competing with the best of the best. This is a season for AR to get tuned up.  Who do you think will be the right guys on our roster now to take us to an AFC Championship game?  It's not Smith, Fries, and we likely can't get there with more than 2-3 of our current back seven.  I would offer Buckner to the Bears as part of a trade for 9. Eberflus wants to have a great D so maybe he bites.  Then hopefully trade back 2-3 spots for a good pick.  I'd love to come out of the draft with Latham and the Byron Murphy II. And come out of the draft with RG Bebe.
    • I think he's a little overrated as a corner prospect. Doesn't mean I don't like him, I do. But I was hearing about how incredibly athletic he is, people were talking about him like he was a lockdown defender, then I watch him for a couple games and I don't see that. So at first I was pretty down on him. Then I went back and watched him with my expectations much lower, and I see what he has to offer.   He's definitely athletic, but not the standout, premier athlete people were making him out to be at first. Watching his high school basketball videos helped me contextualize his athleticism, there's plenty of burst there. He has some struggles flipping his hips and staying connected late in the down. He's feisty and physical, plays the run with enthusiasm, tackles well, and he has explosiveness. He's better in shorter areas when he doesn't have to try to keep up with a receiver with elite speed. I know he ran 4.43, but it wasn't a pro day, it was a private workout. I discount timed speeds at pro days, and definitely at private workouts. To me, he's closer to 4.5 than 4.4, and that's what I expected when watching him play.   To me, he's a safety/nickel prospect, not a boundary corner. And if he were looked at as a boundary corner, I think his arm length would probably disqualify him for the Colts, at least in the first round. And I think the Colts already view corner as a Day 2 position. He's said all the right things about playing multiple positions. And while I don't know how the new rules will affect kickoffs, I think it makes sense to have good options at returner, so that helps his stock as well. But I think the second round is the right range for him. If we drafted him, I think we still need a boost on the outside.
  • Members