Photo

NFL fines referee for swearing on open mic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6033 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

The NFL doesn't appreciate obscenities being broadcast over the airwaves, even when it happens by mistake.

The NFL announced Friday that referee Tony Corrente has been fined a game check for his actions Nov. 4 in Indianapolis when the Colts faced the Miami Dolphins.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ing-on-open-mic

Preseason Live: Indianapolis ColtsColts Football Starts Now. Don't Miss a Moment!

#2 ReMeDy

ReMeDy
  • 2032 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

And then Goodell behind closed doors says to the ref, "Deception success! We strive for league parity! Oh, here's your money back."

Posted Image

Charles "Chuck" Pagano ~ Master Defensive Tactician.

#3 krunk

krunk
  • 3375 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I suppose this fine is justifiable, but in general I am getting quite sick of all the fines the NFL is handing out now days. I'm more upset with the amount of the fines for plays that when you watch them seem so silly. Assessing fines of $30,000 or more for very mild helmet to helmet contact is just robbery to me. Especially when a player is making a very good tackle, and the contact is made due to hustle and not purposefully flagrant. These fines are definitely very serious on players who are not making the top tier pay in the NFL.

A player who is making $300,000 a year who gets 4 $30,000 fines in one year has lost $120,000. That is some serious cash, and they make the process almost impossible to appeal, or get the fine significantly reduced. I think they need to do a heck of a lot better job with how they arrive at what deserves a fine, and how much they should assess for the fine. The current process sucks to me, and it discourages players from executing their job properly because they are afraid of being fined.

#4 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13131 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

I suppose this fine is justifiable, but in general I am getting quite sick of all the fines the NFL is handing out now days. I'm more upset with the amount of the fines for plays that when you watch them seem so silly. Assessing fines of $30,000 or more for very mild helmet to helmet contact is just robbery to me. Especially when a player is making a very good tackle, and the contact is made due to hustle and not purposefully flagrant. These fines are definitely very serious on players who are not making the top tier pay in the NFL.

A player who is making $300,000 a year who gets 4 $30,000 fines in one year has lost $120,000. That is some serious cash, and they make the process almost impossible to appeal, or get the fine significantly reduced. I think they need to do a heck of a lot better job with how they arrive at what deserves a fine, and how much they should assess for the fine. The current process sucks to me, and it discourages players from executing their job properly because they are afraid of being fined.

An excellent point Krunk! Not every player in the NFL has a $5 million dollar contract and you are paid to hit, tackle, & stop your opponent by any means necessary. If you don't, you get cut, & replaced usually within 1 week. These fines are getting ridiculous IMO. So all swearing is finable now? Um did Goodell have a swear jar in his office during CBA negotiations too? I highly doubt it. haha
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#5 krunk

krunk
  • 3375 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

An excellent point Krunk! Not every player in the NFL has a $5 million dollar contract and you are paid to hit, tackle, & stop your opponent by any means necessary. If you don't, you get cut, & replaced usually within 1 week. These fines are getting ridiculous IMO. So all swearing is finable now? Um did Goodell have a swear jar in his office during CBA negotiations too? I highly doubt it. haha

I've hated almost every last minute of his time as commissioner. Football was real when Rozelle, and Tagliabue where running things. I liked the game much more. Goodell just makes you want to throw up with all of his stubborn ways and heavy handedness!

#6 Bogie

Bogie
  • 2135 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

They'll fine a ref for that, but pay them on the back for missing calls or making bad calls.

okv09w.jpg

#7 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13131 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've hated almost every last minute of his time as commissioner. Football was real when Rozelle, and Tagliabue where running things. I liked the game much more. Goodell just makes you want to throw up with all of his stubborn ways and heavy handedness!

I used to kind of admire his attempt to crack down on discipline and player unruliness until I saw how Goodell's sloppy rush to judgment on the NO Saints.

Sorry Bogie & all Saints fans you deserve better than this as a fan base. :facepalm: :sigh:

Posted Image
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#8 Stephen

Stephen
  • 2642 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

im sure the ref sweared again wen he heard this news

#9 Indyfan4life

Indyfan4life

King Optimistic

• 1312 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

They have to crack down on things like this. The NFL, mainly Goodell is so concerned with PR and safety (off topic) that they'll do what they must. Not to say a player caught swearing on the field will get fined, but a ref who has full control of what is said during the game should be fined. If I opened my mic on accident or purpose and said the things like that, I'd expect to be fined as well.

#10 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 15111 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

not a smart move
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      01 Sep
    T Y Goodbye

JOES LEAGUE..I am getting sick, and not feeling well..I'll try to be on as much as possible to help with fixing the draft errors..I need you all to cooperate and rop the players you actually didnt draft and then in a day or 2 put in a waiver request for those you did draft...I may not be on but i['ll try...sorry guys

View All Updates