Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chapman playing Sunday?

Greenoughrunner

Glad he is finally going to dress. I'm hopeful this game inspires Josh to develop a deep-rooted hatred towards NE for many years to come. Can't wait for the Colts to turn the table on ol' BB and his band of slimy characters. Would love for Luck to drive BB wacko and make him do a Woody Hayes. He's dirtball enough don't you think? Ooops, sorry for the BB rant - the OP is about Josh Chapman. Happy hunting Josh, eat up as many of those Patriots as you would like. No limit.

I hope he gets to play. BA keeps being so closed lipped about him playing. Every time he is asked about whether or not he will play, he keeps saying Chapman is able to play, but it's a game time decision based on need.. I hope we don't get to Sunday, and find out Arians decided to sit him. In my opinion I think they are going to play him because all week long the players have been echoing the sentiment that they need to stop the run and make the Patriots one dimensional. No better way to do that than with your 316 pound nose guard who bench presses 600 plus pounds!

I have to say that I too am curious to see him play but not against a opponent like the Patriots.

I don't think a green rookie who has yet to see any action what so ever should have playing time when we are fighting for our playoff lives. Surely there are less worthy opponents coming up for him to get playing time.

Glad he is finally going to dress. I'm hopeful this game inspires Josh to develop a deep-rooted hatred towards NE for many years to come. Can't wait for the Colts to turn the table on ol' BB and his band of slimy characters. Would love for Luck to drive BB wacko and make him do a Woody Hayes. He's dirtball enough don't you think? Ooops, sorry for the BB rant - the OP is about Josh Chapman. Happy hunting Josh, eat up as many of those Patriots as you would like. No limit.

I totally agree

Chap will play you are right three weeks isn't enough time, but we will not throw him out there for the whole game and see what happens, he will play but his time will be limited. Chapman has to get use to NFL speed,and you can't do that in practice. Trust me the coaching and training staff will have a close eye on him but we want to get his feet wet and see were he is at, they feel his leg is good so its time to test the waters so to speak...

I still dont understand why so many say Nose Tackle is so hard to pick up and learn (I know that its taxing on the body thats not what I mean) we play a two gap system, its not like playing Corner

Personally i agree with you. Granted not every college team plays a pro style defense but alabama does. Plus chapman was a multiyear starter in that defense. I think it probably has more to do with getting used to the speed of the pro game plus, especially for a nt, the strength of the players he'll be going against.

Because of his experience in the bama defense and his well documented elite strength i think chapman was the nt most prepared to play early in the nfl and i still truly believe he would have been the first nt off the board had he not been injured.

Personally i agree with you. Granted not every college team plays a pro style defense but alabama does. Plus chapman was a multiyear starter in that defense. I think it probably has more to do with getting used to the speed of the pro game plus, especially for a nt, the strength of the players he'll be going against.

Because of his experience in the bama defense and his well documented elite strength i think chapman was the nt most prepared to play early in the nfl and i still truly believe he would have been the first nt off the board had he not been injured.

I agree 100%. People who don't really watch college or Alabama games for that matter don't realize how their defense plays. Bama probably has the most NFL ready/style defense in all of College football. They aren't as good this year obviously since they lost most of their starters after last season, but still a very good defense. I don't imagine Chapman playing the entire game by any means, though I do expect to see him in at least a couple of times per series.

I still dont understand why so many say Nose Tackle is so hard to pick up and learn (I know that its taxing on the body thats not what I mean) we play a two gap system, its not like playing Corner

The proof's in the pudding. First year NT's are rarely impact players mainly because NFL centers and guards are much better than college interior linemen- even SEC ones. In college, people large and athletic enough to play NT can get away with a ton of bad habits that'll get them exposed in a heartbeat against NFL talent. Not saying that's the case with Chapman, but that's the main reason NT's take a little while to develop, not necessarily because the scheme's that difficult.

I figure we'll manage Chapman's reps the same way we did for Angerer's return, and that's the right way to handle it.

The proof's in the pudding. First year NT's are rarely impact players mainly because NFL centers and guards are much better than college interior linemen- even SEC ones. In college, people large and athletic enough to play NT can get away with a ton of bad habits that'll get them exposed in a heartbeat against NFL talent. Not saying that's the case with Chapman, but that's the main reason NT's take a little while to develop, not necessarily because the scheme's that difficult.

I figure we'll manage Chapman's reps the same way we did for Angerer's return, and that's the right way to handle it.

agreed. Arians said on the radio show this week if he plays it would be for 10 plays or so. He said he's not in shape with missing all that time to do more.

i don't think it's learning that's the issue. I think most rookie NT are just flat out not big enough and or strong enough coming out of college.

I agree, most DT/NT in college dominate because of sheer athletic ability. In the NFL all the players have it, some just at a higher level than the next guy. In the NFL, they learn a lot about football and not just rely on their gift that made them elite amongst the other teams 11 guys on the field.

Another factor in the college ranks vs the NFL player is the ability to sub in and out and be more rested to make plays. College teams have 1000 players on the roster while the NFL has 53 players and only 48 to dress (I think). So a big fat NT will wear out faster and a rookie NT doesn't have the conditioning factor in yet, that takes a few seasons. Chapman will be situational I would guess today. 3rd and short in critical field position or goaline stands. Allow space to be eaten and allow the other player to focus on other things and not worry about up the gut responsibilities as much. 10 plays I hope is enough to do this with. Win or lose, can't wait to see what this big kid offers.

He probably plays, but won't see the field. A week of practice isn't enough time.

I think he should see the field in the next few weeks, but not now.

Remember, he's a longterm project.

Where do you get this stuff? How is Chapman considered a "long term project"? Maybe we have differing views on what a project player means, but I thought the widely accepted definition of a project player is one who possesses raw physical skills, but lacks fundamental training and/or game experience. Dontari Poe was more of a project than Chapman. Chapman was a risk due to his injury, but that's not the same thing. He was a "hey this guy is ready to play and was playing at a high level but he got injured. If he heals completely and returns to his previous form then he should be a great addition to the team". That, to me, is not a project. As I said, Poe was more of a project. He possesses uncanny physical skills but did not have a lot of playing experience in college, played for a small school, and even against the mediocre teams he played, his performance was still somewhat inconsistent. However, he possesses all the skills that would be required of the position, but he will need coaching to be taught how to properly utilize those skills in the pro game.

Chapman, on the other hand, was a multi-year starter in a very pro-oriented defense run in Alabama, and he dominated against even the top competition the school played against being in the SEC. His performance only came into question after he got hurt, but since no one knew he was hurt due to him not disclosing the injury, no one knew why his performance was not as dominant as it had been the year before. Was he regressing? Was he getting lazy? No one knew, and that's why he started to drop. However, prior to that, he was widely considered to be the most pro-ready NT coming out last year. So he was not really in any way a "longterm project". They simply took the chance and spent a 5th round pick on a guy who could become a great player so long as he returns to pre-injury form.

Big deal, 3 weeks still isn't enough.

Classy as always. My point was still right and you know it.

First, based on your comments in the "Deion Branch was released" thread, we clearly have differing opinions on what "classy" means. Second, no, your point was not still right. You clearly said he had only one week of practice, which wasn't enough. However, you also said that he should see playing time in the next few weeks. Now let's imagine for a moment that your initial comment about him only having one week of practice was correct, which it wasn't, you clearly said he should see playing time in the next few weeks. In that case, in the next few weeks he would have been through 2-4 weeks of practice. Since that was when you determined that he should see playing time, then there's no reason he should not see playing time now since he actually has already been through 3 weeks of practice, which is right in the middle of where he should be for you to feel him worthy of getting playing time. So, no, your point is not still right since your initial information was wrong.

I highly doubt he sees a lot of playing time. For one, they'll want to ease him back in to test out how the knee is holding up. For another, I'm sure for the most part of the game we'll be playing our best pass rushers. I doubt Mookie, Tevaseu nor Chapman see many snaps. JUst wanted to nip that in the bud before you continue trying to claim that Mookie is slowly being replaced if he sees limited playing time. I have no doubt he'll see limited playing time, but he'll still see far more snaps than Chapman or Tevaseu (just like in the recent Jags game that you claimed Tevaseu played in at least 60% of the snaps when PFF listed him as being on the field for 2 snaps <thank you coltslegacy for looking up that information>). :)

3 weeks is still 3x as much as you said.

Chap will come in, get some snaps, come out, and increase his workload as the season goes on.

agreed with the last point but the first part is more nitpicking than dealing with the main point which is that he hasn't had enough time to be full go yet.

agreed with the last point but the first part is more nitpicking than dealing with the main point which is that he hasn't had enough time to be full go yet.

I dont think anyone has said he's full go. Rather that he'll likely be in for a limited number of plays just to start getting him some real game experience. We'll find out tomorrow though it wouldnt surprise me one way or another. The only thing that would surprise me would be for him to get 15-20 or more snaps. Im sure if he plays at all it will be very limited.