Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Will The Pats Attack Our Offense?

krunk

Their secondary is nothing special though. We will have to see how Talib does in their defense.

I might have this backwards, and please correct me if I do, but I believe most NFL defenses work by trying to expose the holes in your offense. However, Belichick works his defense by trying to remove the strengths of your offense.

Their secondary is nothing special though. We will have to see how Talib does in their defense.

I might have this backwards, and please correct me if I do, but I believe most NFL defenses work by trying to expose the holes in your offense. However, Belichick works his defense by trying to remove the strengths of your offense.

Yes, but the strength in our offense is our QBs ability to move in the pocket and find the open receiver. I suspect Krunk is correct, they'll play a lot of dime and dare us to run. I hope Brown can play, we'll need all three RBs.

I'm not really worried about our O. I just hope our D lets our Offense get their time on the field.

Yes, but the strength in our offense is our QBs ability to move in the pocket and find the open receiver. I suspect Krunk is correct, they'll play a lot of dime and dare us to run. I hope Brown can play, we'll need all three RBs.

I'm not really worried about our O. I just hope our D lets our Offense get their time on the field.

Yeah, but I hope is clicking, and lets out D to stay off the field.

10 - 14 play drives are in order, with an occasional deep ball to Avery/Hilton when their D gets cozy.

Also, let their LBs chase our TEs, and swing it out to our RBs.

We've got options, just gotta execute.

Much like Sean Payton and the Saints attacked Romo and the Cowboys when they whipped them in Cowboys stadium in 2006, I think - keep Romo in the pocket and not let him get outside because he is more dangerous outside the pocket because things break down on defensive discipline and Romo is very accurate outside the pocket. Luck is similarly accurate outside the pocket and makes more plays than not.

So, I expect Belichick to play coverage, keep Luck in the pocket and dare us to run against their front 7 with no extra men in the box. He will vary his press coverages on the outside WRs and throw in an outside blitzer every now and then but mostly, it will be zone coverage.

The Patriots have become a different beast over the last handful of years. While they are still a difficult team to beat and still an elite team, their defense isn't what it was from 2001-2004. They have become an offensive team, that more often than not beats teams by putting up alot of points and not by completely shutting other teams offenses down. However, that doesn't mean this won't be an interesting matchup, because their defense still does a good job of capitalizing on mistakes. But I don't think the Colts have to completely change their offensive strategy for the Patriots and they really shouldn't. They just need to work on continuing to improve their execution and minimize their mistakes. If the Colts overthink this matchup they will play right into Belichick's hands and I really believe that was the mistake Manning made against them in alot of the early losses against them.

I think a more important question is how does Luck handle playing in Gillette stadium? The Colts two ugliest losses were on the road and this is one of the hardest places to win on the road. While the Colts have away wins at Tennesee and Jacksonville, the question is will he maintain the mentality he had in those games, or will he crumble like at New York and Chicago?

I think - keep Romo in the pocket and not let him get outside because he is more dangerous outside the pocket because things break down on defensive discipline and Romo is very accurate outside the pocket. Luck is similarly accurate outside the pocket and makes more plays than not.

So, I expect Belichick to play coverage, keep Luck in the pocket and dare us to run against their front 7 with no extra men in the box.

The Patriots have become a different beast over the last handful of years. While they are still a difficult team to beat and still an elite team, their defense isn't what it was from 2001-2004.

I think a more important question is how does Luck handle playing in Gillette stadium?

Excellent points Chad72 & Corndog! Keep Luck contained in the pocket, avoid letting him scramble, & keep your DB's deep in coverage...Think Big Ben...His best plays are made by broken plays/collapsed pockets. Yeah, it is kind of amazing how the Patriots were known for stellar defensive prowess in 2001 and by 2007 they were an offensive machine who didn't stop you they simply outscored you by 25-30 points. I still can't wrap my head around that stark transformation with NE now. Gillette is a tough place to play just like Seattle at home. A good test for Luck I agree 100% gentlemen! Nicely written posts as well fellas. :thmup:

Excellent points Chad72 & Corndog! Keep Luck contained in the pocket, avoid letting him scramble, & keep your DB's deep in coverage...Think Big Ben...His best plays are made by broken plays/collapsed pockets. Yeah, it is kind of amazing how the Patriots were known for defensive prowess in 2001 and by 2007 they were an offensive machine who didn't stop you they simply outscored you by 25-30 points. I stilled can't wrap my head around that stark transformation with NE now. Gillette is a tough place to play just like Seattle at home. A good test for Luck I agree 100% gentlemen! Nicely written posts as well fellas. :thmup:

The major difference between Luck and Ben is Ben becomes an average passer when contained in the pocket, while Luck is still a dangerous passer even if he is forced to remain in the pocket.

I just hope he doesn't try to play hero ball on Sunday feeling like he has to will everything himself. He should be okay because he normally learns pretty quick from his mistakes.

For me, it has less to do with Luck versus how patient we are with the running game. You have to run in the 1st 3 quarters so that by the 4th quarter you wear the Pats defense down. If we are throwing more than 50-60 times, we will lose do to a lack of balance on the ground. Run the ball well and stop the run consistently. I'm old school football that way. I always have been and I will always be.

For me, it has less to do with Luck versus how patient we are with the running game. You have to run in the 1st 3 quarters so that by the 4th quarter you wear the Pats defense down. If we are throwing more than 50-60 times, we will lose do to a lack of balance on the ground. Run the ball well and stop the run consistently. I'm old school football that way. I always have been and I will always be.

We definitely will have to keep the running game going. I think it's definitely part of the plan because Arians has spoken more than once this week about keeping Brady off the field.

The major difference between Luck and Ben is Ben becomes an average passer when contained in the pocket, while Luck is still a dangerous passer even if he is forced to remain in the pocket.

No argument there krunk. Luck has nice touch on the deep ball vs Big Ben whose security blanket, when he is healthy, always seems to be TE Heath Miller especially on critical 3rd downs.

We definitely will have to keep the running game going. I think it's definitely part of the plan because Arians has spoken more than once this week about keeping Brady off the field.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. 40-55 touches on the ground and 35-40 touches through the air. Whatever it takes to keep Brady replenished with Gatorade on the sidelines. Let's not forget Special Teams either. Pin the pats deep every chance we get and tackle well too. The 1st man cannot miss their assignment or alignment responsibilities either.

1 last point: Do whatever you have to in order to contain DT Vince Wilfork. Do NOT allow this man to implode Luck's pocket at all costs. Vince is lighter and quicker now than I have seen him in years and he has great hands for catching blocked footballs. I marvel at this man every year. I swear he gets better and better and leverage and body control. Wow!

They will try and get to Luck with consistant presure, Talib will play man on Wayne all game and in cover 2 and nickel will dare us to run.... Good Luck with that Pats...We need the D to step up. Key players on O that have to bring it in order for us to win:BROWN,BALLARD,CARTER,ALLEN,HILTON,AVERY,LUCK and the oline as a whole.

I expect Belicheck and the D Coordinator are going to throw the kitchen sink at Luck and our O Line with all kinds of disguised blitzes and coverages, Time of Possession with this team is key, throw short to go long, dink and dunk some, get under there skin, set up play action and test there secondary that way, But none of that will happen, Arians is going to use the try to get on them early throw it down the field approach, He cant seem to help himself, I just hope we can complete those long ones, if we do then we will be fine, if not then 3 and out will be a familiar phrase Sunday followed by Brady to......Whoever....TOUCHDOWN! We can score plenty on this team we dont have to try to beat them early, 60 minutes will be 60 minutes regardless of how we play, It can be a smart 60 minutes or a mistake filled one which could lead us to getting blown out

Arians always gave New England fits when he was with Pittsburgh. I'd imagine he would deploy some of the same tactics tomorrow as well. It always seemed like no matter how good they called a game against the Pats, they always found a way to win against them. Typically due to penalties IE roughing the passer, or some kind of * call that 99% of the time benefited New England in some way.

If we try to run for the first 3 qtrs the game will be over by the 4th qtr,probably a lot sooner. Our offense has to score early & often to keep up with Brady & co. We can't try to do something(running) we are not good at and get away from what we are best at(passing).

And remember their pass D is ranked near the bottom of the league.

Pass happy because thats NEs biggest weakness and our biggest strength. It only seems like the obvious choice. Ryan fitz carved that defense up with IMO less weapons. We should not abandon the run, but if its anything more even than 60% pass 40% rush id be highly disappointed. Let's not beat ourselves here.

Let our offense loose, they make mistakes so be it, its a learning process. But to not try and expose NEs biggest weakness early and often is just blasphemous.

Pass happy because thats NEs biggest weakness and our biggest strength. It only seems like the obvious choice. Ryan fitz carved that defense up with IMO less weapons. We should not abandon the run, but if its anything more even than 60% pass 40% rush id be highly disappointed. Let's not beat ourselves here.

Let our offense loose, they make mistakes so be it, its a learning process. But to not try and expose NEs biggest weakness early and often is just blasphemous.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

True. 60-40 would still mean we wont abandon the run and if the situation calls for it, 65-35 wont be bad either, IMO. Most importantly, staying on the field on 3rd downs, and keeping the 3rd down yardage manageable is the key. The Patriots are next only to the Bills for worst 3rd down pct. at 45%, Luck converting at least half his 3rd downs to stay on the field would be necessary for us to keep Brady off the field.

On the flip side, the Pats are highest on offense in 3rd down pct. conversion at 50% (no surprise to me).

3rd downs is where the battles would have to be won for the Colts when presented on defense and offense.

in my humble opinion, the Pats have kind of morphed into the Colts of days past over the last couple years. Almost exclusively using quick no huddle - score fast and often - and a defense conceptually weaker in a couple of areas than in the Pats' past - but kind of like the Colts were - built to play with a lead.

However, one of the more striking differences is that Mathis and Freeney have always brought it in terms of a pass rush, while they continue to struggle in this area.

Just my 2 cents.

ColtsHappy

True. 60-40 would still mean we wont abandon the run and if the situation calls for it, 65-35 wont be bad either, IMO. Most importantly, staying on the field on 3rd downs, and keeping the 3rd down yardage manageable is the key. The Patriots are next only to the Bills for worst 3rd down pct. at 45%, Luck converting at least half his 3rd downs to stay on the field would be necessary for us to keep Brady off the field.

On the flip side, the Pats are highest on offense in 3rd down pct. conversion at 50% (no surprise to me).

3rd downs is where the battles would have to be won for the Colts when presented on defense and offense.

3rd and long yes pass the ball thats obvious but third and short then you have to be able to run the ball, if we cant run on 3rd and short then we dont deserve to win, 3rd and mediums should be optional, maybe a good time for a play action, Just my opinion of course

in my humble opinion, the Pats have kind of morphed into the Colts of days past over the last couple years. Almost exclusively using quick no huddle - score fast and often - and a defense conceptually weaker in a couple of areas than in the Pats' past - but kind of like the Colts were - built to play with a lead.

The Pats of current are built to play with a lead because they can run the ball and not because they have the pass rush to stop the other person like you said.

One thing the Colts did not have is a stout run D to put Peyton back on the field, the Pats have that. Personally speaking, the Pats have opted to put Brady back on the field faster because of a porous pass D than porous run D, quite the opposite of a Peyton led offense.

With Talib in the mix, he will be playing man on man against Reggie Wayne.. This will give Bill Belichick a little more time to bring the pressure. Constant and consistant blitzes will now start to come because he has a very good corner now, two of them. It hasn't been so much of McCourty messing up as it has the Safeties being injured or not performing. McCourty is actually pretty good, especially when he has help from the back end . It's just that poor safety play makes him look bad. But with both Chung and Gregory healthy, that should change. Alphonzo Dennard and Kyle Arrington will be covering slot and the opposite corner spot alongside Talib. Also Vince Wilfork will be playing both Tackle and Defensive end due to more blitzes.. So things could get interesting.. Talib just may be that one extra piece they need not so much because of talent but because of component and flexibility. Have a feeling you all could see a whole other defense out there.

With Talib in the mix, he will be playing man on man against Reggie Wayne.. This will give Bill Belichick a little more time to bring the pressure. Constant and consistant blitzes will now start to come because he has a very good corner now, two of them. It hasn't been so much of McCourty messing up as it has the Safeties being injured or not performing. McCourty is actually pretty good, especially when he has help from the back end . It's just that poor safety play makes him look bad. But with both Chung and Gregory healthy, that should change. Alphonzo Dennard and Kyle Arrington will be covering slot and the opposite corner spot alongside Talib. Also Vince Wilfork will be playing both Tackle and Defensive end due to more blitzes.. So things could get interesting.. Talib just may be that one extra piece they need not so much because of talent but because of component and flexibility. Have a feeling you all could see a whole other defense out there.

If they are stupid enough to cover Wayne one on one I feel sorry for Bellichick. I really do. The Packers had to give Charles Woodson help on Wayne and they still couldn't stop him.