Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wow.... Andrew Luck draft rights trade

Playoffs2013

In the weeks leading up to the 2012 draft, one team called Indianapolis and actually told it to name its price, to come up with a package it wanted in return for the No. 1 pick. That team was willing to ship off all its picks, plus players, for the chance to draft Luck. It would surrender one of the richest, if not the richest, packages in NFL history. But Indianapolis never even responded with a proposal. It wanted Luck.

From Schefter on Espn.com

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the weeks leading up to the 2012 draft, one team called Indianapolis and actually told it to name its price, to come up with a package it wanted in return for the No. 1 pick. That team was willing to ship off all its picks, plus players, for the chance to draft Luck. It would surrender one of the richest, if not the richest, packages in NFL history. But Indianapolis never even responded with a proposal. It wanted Luck.

From Schefter on Espn.com

is that from another one of Schefter's unnamed sources?

For some reason I thought that they both were in dresses for this cover... :)

rwilliamsdress_i.jpg

Either way, dreadlocks & neckbeards don't mesh well with wedding dresses.

I love Edge more every time I see that mag cover. Poor Ditka. Oh well, a great pork chop at his restaurant, Hall of Fame, a Super Bowl ring will have to do, huh? Can't do it all right.

I love Edge more every time I see that mag cover. Poor Ditka. Oh well, a great pork chop at his restaurant, Hall of Fame, a Super Bowl ring will have to do, huh? Can't do it all right.

You can't discount the ever popular halloween/costume party/game day attire.

151640232_dc64157e42.jpg

My main knock on Ditka was not feeding the ball to Payton in the Super Bowl for a TD.

151640232_dc64157e42.jpg

My main knock on Ditka was not feeding the ball to Payton in the Super Bowl for a TD.

There was also his insistence that the players stop doing commercials so as not to loose their focus, while, all along, shilling everything in sight himself.

On a more serious note, the lack of due diligence is not surprising.

Doesn't seem like any due diligence was required. The offer came to them, and they didn't bite. If that report is anywhere close to accurate, the Colts front office knew what they could get for that pick. They wanted the player instead. Right or wrong, they had the information they needed to make their decision.

I'm pro-Luck, but I have to admit, any package similar to what is being reported would be tempting. I didn't expect the team to be in the playoff hunt this season, even with a record-setting rookie year from Luck, so a package that would allow a talent-starved team to add several highly rated players in one offseason might have been seriously considered if I were making the decisions. What it likely comes down to, though, is that Irsay wanted Luck all along, and that's what pushed him toward the Manning decision. He was committed, and wasn't going to be bought off.

On a more serious note, the lack of due diligence is not surprising.

What's that mean? Due diligence for trade options, due diligence in scouting college QBs, or due diligence in all areas related to the Manning to Luck transition?

I'm assuming once the decision to cut Manning was made by Irsay, Luck became untouchable. I have no problem with that. It is interesting to ponder trading the pick and keeping PM, which I'm sure they did. Just becuase they didn't heavily consider trading the pick doesn't mean there was a lack of due diligence.

What's that mean? Due diligence for trade options, due diligence in scouting college QBs, or due diligence in all areas related to the Manning to Luck transition?

I'm assuming once the decision to cut Manning was made by Irsay, Luck became untouchable. I have no problem with that. It is interesting to ponder trading the pick and keeping PM, which I'm sure they did. Just becuase they didn't heavily consider trading the pick doesn't mean there was a lack of due diligence.

Based on the article that was posted is that they didn't even bother getting back to whatever team made the offer. To me that is a lack of due diligence even if your mind is 100% made up. I'm sure Grigson/Irsay have unlimited minutes. Make an absurd offer that no team should dare touch. You never know.

In my opinion Irsay's mind was made up in August when he was erroneously lead to believe that Manning wouldn't/shouldn't play again.

There isn't a finite answer to the game of football.

There are many routes to any specific destination. Many work.

I'm suspicious of that report.

Ditka wasn't even coaching last year.

BTW, could you picture Ditka with a neck beard?

No, it's true. They offered the entire NHL, rights to the Twilight franchise and the ingredients for McDonalds secret sauce (mayonnaise and ketchup). Irsay also wanted Marshall Manning in the trade, and that was the deal breaker.

Hey, you don't see anyone denying that report either, right?

I think if you're Irsay/Grigson, you have to say to yourself, that even if the players/picks are enticing and much more than you could expect the bottom line would be this....

Whatever the team could've offered, they couldn't offer you a QB that would do much for you. If that team had such a QB, it's not likely they'd move it. Or, hypothetically, let's say it's New England and the team is offering Brady as a part of the deal, or it's New Orleans and the team is offering Brees as part of the deal. No matter how nice that is, those guys only have so many quality years left. Let's say less than 5.

While Luck plays the most important position and he should have 12-15 quality years.

It's a Quarterback driven league and how often do you get to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck.

It's like going from Michael Jordan to LeBron James.

You've won the lottery twice in a row. You can't take another offer and watch Luck become great for another franchise. You just can't. I'm not upset they didn't kick the tires on this offer.

Just my two cents....

Wow... awesome i would not have taken anything for the pick. but has me thinking what team would do that... and now i am thinking what coach in the NFL knows him best... could afford with his Defense to not really need to draft this year but had his QB situation in doubt...

Just crazy the possibility of what team it was.

Based on the article that was posted is that they didn't even bother getting back to whatever team made the offer. To me that is a lack of due diligence even if your mind is 100% made up. I'm sure Grigson/Irsay have unlimited minutes. Make an absurd offer that no team should dare touch. You never know.

In my opinion Irsay's mind was made up in August when he was erroneously lead to believe that Manning wouldn't/shouldn't play again.

There isn't a finite answer to the game of football.

There are many routes to any specific destination. Many work.

I see what you are saying, and agree with your analsis of the "decision." However, to me, this is not the Colts not doing their due diligence. I'm fairly certain that Irsay and the FO, like the rest of us uninformed fans, knew they could get pretty much whatever they wanted from a team who seriously wanted the pic and there obviously was at least one team who did. However, they chose to keep it with that knowledge. There is no need to make an offer to deal the pic if you really aren't interested in dealing the pic. What if they said OK and they had to be like, uh, we were just kidding. One is free to disagree with the decision but it should not be shed in some negative light that makes it look like Irsay and the FO didn't make a informed, calculated, well-thought out decision, which is what saying they didn't do their due diligence sounds like to me.

Also, I have no proof of this, but I truly believe that Polian was fired, in no particular order, because 1) the team's performance in 2011; 2) he was unwilling to admit Chris (and Caldwell) was a mistake; and 3) he wanted to keep PM and trade the pic.

151640232_dc64157e42.jpg

Could not agree more FJC. William the Refrigerator Perry scores in a Super Bowl blowout and Walter doesn't. Why didn't McMahon audible to a play for the greatest Bear ever to score on the grandest of stages. Never has sat well with me either.

It's not Edge ha. Ricky Williams.

Right, it's Ricky and Ditka. And my reply was I love Edge every time I see that picture - of Ricky and Ditka. Ricky was available at 5 because the Colts took Edge at 4, leaving the Skins to trade with the Saints for all their picks that year. That picture reminds me how much I love Edgerrin James, how great a pick that was in the face of the more obvious pick in Williams.

It was Mike Holmgren, I bet. News is Holmgren did call Irsay about it, it was in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, not for long.

http://www.cleveland...veland_b_1.html

Just dont know the details other than the fact that it was for trading Luck.

Yeah, I remember that report. It's the only one I remember that had a name attached to it. And the Browns had a lot of picks in this draft after the Julio Jones trade, including two firsts.

Right, it's Ricky and Ditka. And my reply was I love Edge every time I see that picture - of Ricky and Ditka. Ricky was available at 5 because the Colts took Edge at 4, leaving the Skins to trade with the Saints for all their picks that year. That picture reminds me how much I love Edgerrin James, how great a pick that was in the face of the more obvious pick in Williams.

I can remember how shocked a buddy and I were when that pick was made. We were so sure that it would be Ricky and we were like

:Yikes:-omg-:omg::facepalm:.....................what the (*)? .......who the heck is Edgerrin James??????????

Happy to say that we found out.

I see what you are saying, and agree with your analsis of the "decision." However, to me, this is not the Colts not doing their due diligence. I'm fairly certain that Irsay and the FO, like the rest of us uninformed fans, knew they could get pretty much whatever they wanted from a team who seriously wanted the pic and there obviously was at least one team who did. However, they chose to keep it with that knowledge. There is no need to make an offer to deal the pic if you really aren't interested in dealing the pic. What if they said OK and they had to be like, uh, we were just kidding. One is free to disagree with the decision but it should not be shed in some negative light that makes it look like Irsay and the FO didn't make a informed, calculated, well-thought out decision, which is what saying they didn't do their due diligence sounds like to me.

Also, I have no proof of this, but I truly believe that Polian was fired, in no particular order, because 1) the team's performance in 2011; 2) he was unwilling to admit Chris (and Caldwell) was a mistake; and 3) he wanted to keep PM and trade the pic.

I'll start from the end, and work my way back. If i had to rank those, I would say 2, 1, 3. I think the biggest thing was his son. I think Irsay would have preferred BIll taking a larger role back as opposed to a smaller one, but I do agree his attachment to Caldwell/Chris had a lot to do with it. The performance itself would be easy to over look when you consider Manning was out. Obviously it was a horrible year, but I don't think it was a huge factor. I'm not sure about the 3rd one. I think Polian wanted to set his son up with a franchise QB sort of a parting gift if you want to call it that. I don't think he was in the mindset to keep them both(18&12), and auctioning off the pick and keeping Manning sure was an alternative.

That is why I said make an absurd offer. Either 5-6+1st rounders, the rest of the 2012 draft class, maybe a player. If they don't hang up on you then maybe you fleece them the way Dallas did Minnesota. Just like any negotiation. You don't bring your lowest offer to the table to start with. I just feel they could have done more from a due diligence point of view just be checking on it.

The route they chose seems to be working, various other routes would have worked, some routes would have failed. One or two might have been even better than the route that was selected, but we will never know.