Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: If You Can't Can't Make It As A Corner For The Colts, You're 'A Leper'

Jules

Awesome.

http://www.stampedeb...r-the-colts-you

When [Darius] came into my office, I showed him my actual college report. I'd never done that with a player before. But I really felt he was a talent as well as did Chuck. Chuck was like, when I first brought his name up, he was like, "Heck yeah. He was one of my highest rated guys coming out of the '09 draft." So, I just basically broke it down for Darius that, you know man, you don't make it here - and this was a time where everyone still thought we flat out stunk, and we had no chance, and a terrible secondary, blah, blah, blah- I told him that you don't make it here, we're talking doomsday scenario for you, Darius. We're talking UFL. We're talking other leagues because if you don't make it with the Colts as a corner, you're gonna basically be a leper. So, he took that to heart pretty well because [sic] that day at practice, the first day of practice, he had two picks. We hadn't had any hands on balls for, like, a week prior to that.

Being as how we have only had 1 season with Grigson and couple that with the fact that his hands have been tied behind his back with regards to the salary cap for this year, he has made many great personnel decisions. I am really excited to see what he does in next years draft.

The man seems to always be making the right moves. I think Jim scored a great GM in Grigson!

Way to go Jim!

He had to be honest with D.Butler, need a verbal kick in the butt, he's been cotteled all his life and needed to be put in his place and told the truth, you can't make it here your off to Canada or AFL, with the Colts D.Butler could be on a super bowl contender team for years to come and possitive production and with that a bigger paycheck!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

steelcitycolt quote: Great story, can't remember who the commentator was on the Jags game, but he said he'd spoke to Darius pre-game and basically said you've got the talent and this your last chance don't waste it

I believe that was Dion Sanders that told him that!!!!!

Figures! Don't know why but Sanders rubs me up the wrong way as an analyst, great player though. Don't mind if he wants to mentor one of CBs :D

Love him or hate him, they didn't call him prime time for nothing, I loved watching him play no matter what team he was on, and he's been mentoring D.Butler for a few years and in the game they met up on the side line and I think fist bumped if I'm not mistaken, he told him Colts is his last shot, lets see if it sinks in from both Grigson and Sanders told him, he's got the talent so lets see if the head can be changed, would be the greatest pick up of any team this year and might make Grigson GM of the year ;}

Go Colts!!!!!

As a manager I was a straight shooter....who in the world does not want someone laying out the job right in front of your face? When I told an employee what they needed to do to make it, it was face to face....straight to the point. What I love about Grigson is my personal philosophy:

"Leave no room for misinterpretation on what the expectations are for the job, as well as the expected results."

Yes the secondary is still a work in progress. Darius Butler gave us a lift last week......keep it up Darius!!! We need everyone this week.....

Love the post Jules. Thanks for sharing!!!! :thmup: GO :colts: :colts: :colts: !!! Grigs....keep 'telling it like it is!!!!'

steelcitycolt quote: Great story, can't remember who the commentator was on the Jags game, but he said he'd spoke to Darius pre-game and basically said you've got the talent and this your last chance don't waste it

I believe that was Dion Sanders that told him that!!!!!

No, it was Mayock

I am in awe at what Grigson has accomplished here, and this story just enhances that feeling.

Also worth noting: Despite all the controversy, all the criticism, and all the vitriol spiraling around Jim Irsay during this past offseason, the man has done an amazing job assembling the right pieces to return this club to elite level in short order.

Kudos to JI for sticking to his guns and doing what he knew was right for his club!

He's just called out the rest of his CB's. What's good about that?

I didn't take it that way at all. I took it to be Butler specific - a third team for Butler since being the 41st player picked in the 2009 draft. For Butler, this could be his last chance to make it in the NFL, prove he can play at this level. Especially on a team which was in desperate need of DB help for multiple reasons, which include injury and talent/depth for sure. The other side to this, of course, is if Grigson said he believes the Colts need to improve the talent and depth in the secondary, would any of us disagree?

I didn't take it that way at all. I took it to be Butler specific - a third team for Butler since being the 41st player picked in the 2009 draft. For Butler, this could be his last chance to make it in the NFL, prove he can play at this level. Especially on a team which was in desperate need of DB help for multiple reasons, which include injury and talent/depth for sure. The other side to this, of course, is if Grigson said he believes the Colts need to improve the talent and depth in the secondary, would any of us disagree?

Grigson was simply repeating to Butler the same mantra the rest of the league and fans were saying. "You know Darius they say we stink so if what they say is true, then you will be a leper if you can't become a starter in a secondary that supposedly stinks."

Grigson was simply repeating to Butler the same mantra the rest of the league and fans were saying. "You know Darius they say we stink so if what they say is true, then you will be a leper if you can't become a starter in a secondary that supposedly stinks."

Motivating pros has to be amongst the hardest things. I love the approach, as simple as it may seem. But if the Patriots couldn't make Butler produce, and they are regarded as amongst the best in the front office and on the field (at least Belichick), it would be awesome to see Grigson et al find the right combination to get Butler going. I agree with you, there is a lot of 'everyone doubts us', 'little train that could' kind of feel to this season, and people are clearly buying in. Add Pagano, and there is plenty to keep focus, plenty to play for. There are a lot of teams with lots more talent who simply stink right now.

Good point sir. I clearly misinterpreted his comments. Beer kicking in already.....

I think motivation and realization comes to people at different times. It could be the scheme and expectations that has Butler playing better. Look at Tim Jennings, I was never a huge Jennings while he played for the Colts, but he's an excellent corner for the Bears. He has the same talent, but why is he now a better player? I don't know if it's scheme, personnel, or he had an epiphany about the position. If Butler can undergo the same type of transition this year he will be a great NFL comeback story. With Powers out we are going to find out quickly if he had a one game fluke or has turned the corner.

Its a motivation tactic but its all the truth, Our Corners have gotten abused this year, and from years passed none of them have showed well except for Gordy's 3 picks year in St. Louis. Someone is going to have to step up, why not Butler? Hey if Mayock sees something there the guy has to have talent

So true. Pretty much every corner we've gotten rid of this offseason is presently unemployed. We traded Kevin Thomas, a player I thought would show some improvement this season, to the Eagles. They released him during the preseason, and he hasn't been picked up by anyone since then. Chris Rucker, Cameron Chism and Antonio Fenelus were part of the final cut before the season, and none of them are on rosters. Terrence Johnson was also a final cut, and he signed with the Falcons, but has only played in 2 games and hasn't done anything. DJ Johnson was cut, signed to the practice squad, cut a month later, and is now on the Redskins practice squad. Brandon King was cut in August, and just signed with the Jaguars practice squad yesterday.

None of these guys had Butler's pedigree; the majority of those guys were just camp fodder, but some of them were serious prospects at one time. And to a man, none of them are a factor anywhere else in the league. So if a corner gets cut from the Colts, that's kind of it for him, fair or not. And someone like Butler, who has been released by other teams, is already getting close to being a pariah. Grigson was straight-up with him, and Butler seems to have responded. I'm not over the moon about his performance in the Jags game; he still got beat a few times. But he made some big plays, and hopefully he continues to show why he was so highly rated in the first place.

Awesome article.. should send Grigs my highlight tape of me in my flag football league i would at least garner a tryout. lol the speed is there! i would be like Deion on defense though once the guy is down on the ground i would dive in and act like i made the tackle.

Grigson, according to interviews, is a man possessed with the long term goals...meaning our future success depends on him making the right decisions now. He can't afford to keep a player on just out of sentiment. He has been brutal and honest, but most of all, he looks as if he has been right.

Grigson, according to interviews, is a man possessed with the long term goals...meaning our future success depends on him making the right decisions now. He can't afford to keep a player on just out of sentiment. He has been brutal and honest, but most of all, he looks as if he has been right.

his method is right and outlook as well in my opinion(The produce or be gone mentality is a rough one but the right one) but I wouldnt say every move he has made has been the right move. Most but not all

Being as how we have only had 1 season with Grigson and couple that with the fact that his hands have been tied behind his back with regards to the salary cap for this year, he has made many great personnel decisions. I am really excited to see what he does in next years draft.

The man seems to always be making the right moves. I think Jim scored a great GM in Grigson!

Way to go Jim!

Eggsalent post. :thmup: