Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney wants to stay in Indy

Playoffs2013

Well he better get three or four sacks against brady

A best game of career from a soon to be 33 year old playing a new position? Hey I hope it happens, that would be great but chances are overwhelmingly against that unless NE plays without there LT

I've been watching Mr.Freeney and even though it's called a 3-4 now he is still playing on the end of the line like years before and with his hand in on the ground, so he's doing what he did before and he is not doing the spin like he used to so age is creeping in there, but if he wants to stay and the price is right I say I'm good on him staying, he's very loyal and hard worker at his job and those you keep if they are still productive.

Go Colts and beat NE this Sunday!!!!!

I hope he will have Brady-O's on Sunday afternoon!

That would be for a 4:25 PM EST-7:25 PM EST FEAST....................Go get em D Free.....(Havoc) and Mathis (Mayhem)

And please someone put that imbecile Gronk out of MY misery! Somebody hit him into next week.....He has the IQ of a Dead Squirrel! :spit: Get em Colts......

That would be for a 4:25 PM EST-7:25 PM EST FEAST....................Go get em D Free.....(Havoc) and Mathis (Mayhem)

And please someone put that imbecile Gronk out of MY misery! Somebody hit him into next week.....He has the IQ of a Dead Squirrel! :spit: Get em Colts......

That depends. If the squirrel isn't quite brain dead, then he would have the higher IQ than Gronk. But if he is medically brain dead, then yes, I would say they are even.

I have been impressed that, even though he's clearly hurt..he's played during this win streak..

He STILL draws a double team...even I can see that...

...I'm sure he knows he's overpaid and he sounds like he'd settle for something like $4 mil like SH said

If he doesn't resign here I would bet the farm that New England ends up going after him BIG TIME and he actually signs with them.

There are a few teams I could see him looking at

Bengals

Jags

Falcons

Titans

Bears

Panthers

Freeney will have a year under his belt in the new defense come the end of the year, I could see him being brought back for cheap in a rotational role on pass rushing downs

I thought that he refused to rework it. Would an extention be diferent than a rework?

We couldn't "rework" his contract because it's in the final year. We could have extended his contract, and in that process adjusted his cap hit for 2012.

All reports are that we never offered him an extension. He didn't even have an agent until a few weeks before the draft, and that happened around the time that reports surfaced that we were going to either trade or release him. Based on what he's saying in this interview, he wants to finish as a Colt, so I don't know why we couldn't have agreed to an extension. If there had been talks, and they just never got close, I'd get that; that would probably mean he wanted more money/guarantees than the team was willing to offer. But all reports suggest there were never any negotiations.

As I've said a hundred times, I think this is the biggest misstep Grigson has taken this year. The damage would be compounded if we turned around and re-signed him after this season is up.

We couldn't "rework" his contract because it's in the final year. We could have extended his contract, and in that process adjusted his cap hit for 2012.

All reports are that we never offered him an extension. He didn't even have an agent until a few weeks before the draft, and that happened around the time that reports surfaced that we were going to either trade or release him. Based on what he's saying in this interview, he wants to finish as a Colt, so I don't know why we couldn't have agreed to an extension. If there had been talks, and they just never got close, I'd get that; that would probably mean he wanted more money/guarantees than the team was willing to offer. But all reports suggest there were never any negotiations.

As I've said a hundred times, I think this is the biggest misstep Grigson has taken this year. The damage would be compounded if we turned around and re-signed him after this season is up.

I didn't know that was a restriction. Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that was a restriction. Thanks for the info.

Yup. Restructuring or reworking a contract basically means taking part of the player's base salary for the current year and spreading it out over the remaining years on the contract. Since there were no remaining years on Freeney's contract, there was nothing to restructure. We technically could have converted his base salary of $14m into a bonus, but it still would have counted against the 2012 cap. Unless we extended the contract, which is what I always thought we should have done/were going to do. Alas.

He could still have gotten his money, and maybe a bit more. And had a contract beyond this season.

Yes but why do that in a defense that he didn't know nothing about at the time, I think he could learn to change his instincts in this defense but time is not on his side

Yes but why do that in a defense that he didn't know nothing about at the time, I think he could learn to change his instincts in this defense but time is not on his side

That's a different topic entirely. I was just saying that he could have still gotten his money this year.

With that being said, he'll have to produce more than he is currently and sign for relatively cheap. I'd like to see him finish his career here, but there's no room for sentimental value in the NFL.

You are right there is no room for sentimental value in the NFL but their is room for good business in the NFL, the decision lies with Freeney, we will try and get him resigned but we can't afford the same kind of salary cap hit so if Freeney is willing to play for us for a cheeper prise we will retaine his services, alot of people make him out to be money hungry but he's not and he is worth resigning it was Bill Polain that through Freeney all that money as he did with everyone so dont blame Freeney, his sacks are down but he is still creating havoc on the line as long as he stays healthy I look forward to seeing him on next years 53 man roster,remember this is his first year in this new scheme he will be much better next year and will look more like the Freeney of old but if we let him walk understand who ever we bring in my not have the impact Freeney has right now and Hughes is very raw he deserves to be the 3rd or 4th stringer.