Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Covers Gronkowski?

Smonroe

Or how will he be covered? We're not sure if Hernadez is also playing, but that doubles the question. Our LBs aren't the greatest in pass coverage.

I can see us bracketing Welker but he'll still get his catches. I just don't see an obvious defense for Gronkowski.

Opinions?

Going to have to be a mix of coverages to try and confuse Brady. In man my guess would be Bethea, Freeman, Angerer, Fouku, Mathis, pretty much everyone will have a shot.

Seriously? You're saying we can confuse Brady? More likely our DBs are going to be confused enough with base coverages. Except for Bethea we don't have a lot of experience back there.

Out of the LB group you mentioned Freeman is the only one with the speed to cover him. I'm going to assume they tag him at the line on every pass play. No free releases.

Seriously? You're saying we can confuse Brady? More likely our DBs are going to be confused enough with base coverages. Except for Bethea we don't have a lot of experience back there.

Out of the LB group you mentioned Freeman is the only one with the speed to cover him. I'm going to assume they tag him at the line on every pass play. No free releases.

Brady is human. Even the best get confused at times. You thing Peyton has never threw a pick because of a confusing coverage?

Brady is human. Even the best get confused at times. You thing Peyton has never threw a pick because of a confusing coverage?

Maybe when he was 12. Just kidding, I know the best teams threw the book at him, and he'd usually figure it out. When we were good (like the Pats O is now) Peyton wasn't fooled too often. Think back to our last AFC championship game where the Jets tried every trick in the book and just ended up frustrated.

My point is that you need the talent and experienced personnel to pull that off on a guy like Brady. I suspect we'll play the same D that we've played all season. I'd rather we play aggressive, even if we give up the big play, than play safe and let them dink and dunk for long drives.

Or how will he be covered? We're not sure if Hernadez is also playing, but that doubles the question. Our LBs aren't the greatest in pass coverage.

I can see us bracketing Welker but he'll still get his catches. I just don't see an obvious defense for Gronkowski.

Opinions?

You are correct.... Think Buffalo..

Spike his Saturday night pre game drink at the dance club. only way we are covering him is if Zbi puts his jock on a little tighter, tightens his chin strap, reminds himself Im a big boy now and goes out and lays some wood on Gronk for going over the middle or trying to go deep on him, and where the heck is Betheas hands? the man has never been known as a heavy hitter but someone left his skills in the Cover 2

Spike his Saturday night pre game drink at the dance club. only way we are covering him is if Zbi puts his jock on a little tighter, tightens his chin strap, reminds himself Im a big boy now and goes out and lays some wood on Gronk for going over the middle or trying to go deep on him, and where the heck is Betheas hands? the man has never been known as a heavy hitter but someone left his skills in the Cover 2

Someone could always invite him to a dance club. He seems fond of that.

....get to Brady! Get to Brady! Get to Brady..........problem solved! LOL

Amen! Put Brady on the ground a few times and he will start checking down or throwing it away. Pretty boy does not like to be touched. The Giants have already shown everybody the blueprint for beating the Pats. the question is, can we get consistent pressure? Our pass rush has been spotty this season.

Call me nuts but for some reason I'd probably want S. Brown on Gronk most of the game just because of his size, speed, and physicality. He will need some help from Bethea when Gronk is running up the seam. Hopefully he can at least keep Gronk's YAC contained.

Have you seen his drunken dance moves? Our defenders won't want any part of those spinning fists of fury.

Interior penetration is the key. We don't have anyone who can cover Gronkowski one on one, especially in the red zone. Maybe Bethea can handle him, but not in jumpball situations. We don't have anyone who can cover Welker, either. We're outmatched against their receiving corps, no doubt about it. We have to collapse the pocket, stay disciplined against the run, and stay patient.

and where the heck is Betheas hands? the man has never been known as a heavy hitter but someone left his skills in the Cover 2

They have been gone ever since Ron Meeks left. He used to play center field when Bob could play close to the line of scrimmage. He was the only guy who got INTs vs Brady in 2006, 2007 & 2009 in consecutive games (Cassel played in 2008).

Once Coyer came in, it was Bethea playing the safety in the box. That has continued and he does not get to play center field as much. I also think he has lost a little step, IMO. He makes more tackles by being closer to the box since we more often play single safety high. So, it has been Melvin Bullitt, Aaron Francisco, and now Zbikowski that plays single safety high since we do not play 2 deep safety formations too often. So, the play is normally behind him when he has to retreat from the box, and is not in front of him to play center field as much, IMO.

If we stop the run with just our front seven, Bethea's center field options may go up.

The Colt defenders should share the abuse......but on a more serious note the Colt defenders should hit him as hard as they can on every play especially when the ball doesn't come his way. Bill said that you have to plan to block Freeney on every play even if he does drop into coverage occasionally and that would be my philosophy too.Plan to have somebody hit gronk hard on every play and take turns doing it.