Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoColtsGo5150

Nnamdi asomugha

51 posts in this topic

He is junk, getting touched at CB, not worth the money the Eagles signed him for....And that's coming from Eagles fans(not me)

2 people like this

That's probably because he has played in a zone based defense but our system is more focus on man coverage, which nnamdi is good at ( as he showed in oakland)

4 people like this

I wouldn't offer him near what he makes now, but we are sitting pretty with cap money next year. Plus Grigson being a Philly guy.....hmmm.

He hasn't done crap all year. No thanks

Well, Grigson would know best in that regard.

Part of Asomugha's problem is the team he plays for, FWIW. If we think he can do well in our system, it make sense to go after him - for the right price, of course.

Would be a good pick up for us if it came to it, with us quite thin at CB at the moment.

No, it wouldn't. He SUCKS and is perpetually beaten and misses tackles. My Girlfriend is an Eagles fan so I have to watch them. And both their CBs are poor to mediocre. She calls them "prostitutes" because they're always getting used......and she's correct. No to him and DRC.

Well, Grigson would know best in that regard. Part of Asomugha's problem is the team he plays for, FWIW. If we think he can do well in our system, it make sense to go after him - for the right price, of course.

Ok fine. Vet minimum then. Chance to resurrect his career.

Guys, we shold know this better than anyone. Jerraud Powers did really well in our Cover 2 zone based defense. Then this year we switched to a man-to man defense and he sucked. It's all about what skills you have and how they match up in the system that you are in.

In Oakland, Asomugha played in a man based defense and was a stud. He was highly sought after. But he went to the Eagles, who play a zone defense. It doesn't match his skill set. He would do much better here and it may be worth looking into.

6 people like this

Some people dont realize the eagles play zone. We play man. Hes a man corner and was the best man corner in the league when in the right system. Just.look at powers playing out of place. He went from a good zone corner to complete garbage at man

The only problem with the change in defense argument is that most people (accurately) believe that if you can play lights out Man coverage (because you are a physical beast), you should easily handle zone. If he can't handle zone coverage (the easiest DB coverage) then you really have to be lacking in the brains department.

1 person likes this

Guys, we shold know this better than anyone. Jerraud Powers did really well in our Cover 2 zone based defense. Then this year we switched to a man-to man defense and he sucked. It's all about what skills you have and how they match up in the system that you are in.

In Oakland, Asomugha played in a man based defense and was a stud. He was highly sought after. But he went to the Eagles, who play a zone defense. It doesn't match his skill set. He would do much better here and it may be worth looking into.

And if playing in the wrong system significantly decreases his value, all the better if he wants to play here.

The only problem with the change in defense argument is that most people (accurately) believe that if you can play lights out Man coverage (because you are a physical beast), you should easily handle zone. If he can't handle zone coverage (the easiest DB coverage) then you really have to be lacking in the brains department.

When it comes to man, you will know who you're covering so you can soley focus on that man. But with zone you have to cover everyone and anyone it can be hard to distingush where your zone ends and anothers begins. Some people will be better at zone, some at man, and nnamdi is better at man.

That's just an assumption, and it definitely does not accurately depict Asomugha who happens to be extremely inteligent. If you've ever heard him speak, you would know what I'm talking about. He is known for having high football IQ as well, so I'm not sure if that's it. I think it's just that the system does not put him in place to make the plays that he would normally make while in man coverage. Basically, while in man coverage, he can shut down his man and not worry about making plays or tackles. In zone, he would have certain assignments to cover a certain portion of the field and cover those who are in that zone. This allows for a cushion for the receiver, and the DB is asked to make a play while the ball is in the air, or make a play after the catch. Asomugha is not a great tackler and this is not playing to his strength.
1 person likes this

I doubt they get rid of him this year anyway. I like his game, but I don't like the fact that he's not a good tackler. You can tell Pagano, Grigson, and Manusky put a premium on tackling. I guess he could possibly improve in Indy if we made that move because we have a system he is more accustomed to, and a good football environment here. It's not an environment with a whole lot of media hoopla and foolishness. The players and coaches take the game seriously and they are focused on winning.

1 person likes this

in otherwords we should switch powers and nnamdi

He's already been switched with Butler! We've probably seen the last of Powers I bet.

Well, it depends. Would we be getting the Eagles Nnamdi, or the Raiders Nnamdi. If we get the Raiders one, sure give him a Shot. Give him like Minimum wage though

1 person likes this

I hope not, as although he hasn't played well this year, I would like to see powers resigned ( for a small fee of course) but imagine our CB unit next year if we had vontae, nnamdi on the outside and powers or butler at nickel

He's already been switched with Butler! We've probably seen the last of Powers I bet.

In no way would I pay him what he's making now, but I think a mid-ranged 2-10 or 3-15 deal would be ideal. Get him back into the role like he had with the Raiders and I think he goes back to his old self. Him and Vontae could be pretty deadly.

I am usually inclined to scoff at most "we should get player X" threads, but this one has some merit.

I get that some (like Brian Casserly) think he has lost it, but what is easier to believe: that he was considered one of the best in the league (as recently as about 15 months ago) and had it go away at the flick of a switch, or that he might be getting used in a way that doesn't suit his talent?

I'm inclined to think the on/off scenario is the less plausible one.

If I remember, wasn't it this guy that everyone on this board wanted about 2 years ago when he became a free agent? I also think that a lot of people on here were calling for the front office heads when we didn't sign him. Oh, how the times change...Look, if he is better in man-to-man coverage and would be better in our system, then why not. I don't think he would be any worse than what we already have.

I don't want him. Not because he lacks the talent to play man to man, but he is just on the wrong side of 30. Let's give Butler a chance and see if he can keep repeating his AFC Defensive Player of the Week performance from against the Jags. If he keeps playing like that and Davis gets healthy and plays at his full potential I am fine with our CB for next season. We need an SS and Linemen on both sides of the ball.

I'd be overjoyed with the pickup, honestly. And you can't tell me we wouldn't be a very attractive team for him.....great FO, tough coaching staff, strong culture, a ridiculously promising future, and he'd get to use his skillset.

Bring him here.

At this point anything of Nnamdis caliber would be a significant upgrade over what we have.

I fully expected us to grab Routt after his dismissal and with the IRing of Powers. But that failed to happen so I suspect this wont happen.

However a Davis/Aso/Routt DB combo would be pretty heavenly to have.

Just watch the Patriots grab him and coach him up. :(

Personally, I look at both Ladarius Webb and Josh Wilson who were not household names when Pagano and his staff got them with the Ravens, and they got a lot out of them. That is why, to me, if the price is slashed in half, it is a chance I am willing to take, given our coaches' secondary coaching pedigree.

If an ex-OC can be made DC and then fired by Andy Reid, I am not confident about their defensive staff in the first place to utilize their talents the right way.

1 person likes this

Just watch the Patriots grab him and coach him up. :(

Personally, I look at both Ladarius Webb and Josh Wilson who were not household names when Pagano and his staff got them with the Ravens, and they got a lot out of them. That is why, to me, if the price is slashed in half, it is a chance I am willing to take, given our coaches' secondary coaching pedigree.

If an ex-OC can be made DC and then fired by Andy Reid, I am not confident about their defensive staff in the first place to utilize their talents the right way.

As I indicated in earlier posts, I'm all for pursuing Awesome-Wah, but only with the understanding he is getting up there. He's most likely only a couple-four years away from retirement at this point. But I'm fine with him playing out what's left of his career in Indy.

Now I'm being swayed. The notion of the Patriots* being able to resurrect his career makes me want to sign him and shelve him. haha I guess I can be amenable to bringing him in. Regardless, having a NT rotation that draws double teams (thereby freeing up LBs to make plays & create pressure) will do more for our pass defense than signing another DB could.

Yes I'd take him. He was a beast in Oakland playing man and Philly is using him wrong (in the zone). He'd be good in our defense playing man.

Don't want to spend too much on him, though.

Yes I'd take him. He was a beast in Oakland playing man and Philly is using him wrong (in the zone). He'd be good in our defense playing man.

Don't want to spend too much on him, though.

In retrospect since we do have confortable cap room, it shouldn't be too hard to sign him and we will be able to buy others with the kind of money we have

Oh my goodness. Nnamdi is still one of the best corners in the game. He's not going to be available for vet minimum. He'd be worth a lot more than that on the open market, and to our team. We've seen dozens of corners look plain awful in the wrong system over the last few years, and he's one of them.

2 people like this

We've seen dozens of corners look plain awful in the wrong system over the last few years, and he's one of them.

All we need to do is look up our recent "Tim Jennings" threads to know how coaching and to an extent variations in scheme can get different results from a CB.