Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR for 2013 Season

PatMcAfeeFan

Avery should be back, he has had more consistent hands to this point then anyone on the team (it seems without actually looking at the drop numbers) not named Wayne, in my opinion he stays, Collie is let go and Whalen has a chance to move into the slot if healthy

Golly, when did it become a great idea to spend a bunch of money for other teams players that they consider not worth it.

There are very few gems, a lot of underacheivers, and a slew of lazy's in that pool. I'll take development through the draft...with FA being used as a last resort.

Oh ya.....1500 posts!

I think Avery is resigned and that will about do it for the skill positions on the offensive side of the ball. I don't think Wallace makes this team any better than what it already is. And no he wasn't a target of the Colts just like MJD wasn't. That was already confirmed multiple times.

2 upgrades on the line O-line (RG/RT) would do absolute wonders for this offense. Keep Luck clean and allow the running game ~125ypg and the need for a high priced WR goes right out the window.

Just because the Colts are going to have 40Mil+ doesn't mean I want to see them spend it all. I don't think they have to, and yes I'm aware of the 90% rule, but I wouldn't mind seeing them save some for a rainy day. Come the end of the season I have feeling there are going to be less "needs" than are thought to be now.

Ask yourself this question....

The Steelers are a very well run organization. They do not have a reputation for being cheap. They pay their guys.

And the Steelers might be willing to let Wallace walk. What does that tell you?

And they signed Antonio Brown to a big deal, I think it's $8.5 Mill per year for 4/5 years..... and yet, not Wallace. To me, that's a big red flag warning. The Steelers typically don't make mistakes like that. Maybe it's not a mistake.

The Steelers let Plaxico Burress go and he won a Super Bowl....no, I mean he literally won the Super Bowl for the Giants. They let Santonio Holmes go as well. They were both trouble guys but the Steelers will let a talented person go just like they let their talented OC go and we got him now.

The Steelers let Plaxico Burress go and he won a Super Bowl....no, I mean he literally won the Super Bowl for the Giants. They let Santonio Holmes go as well. They were both trouble guys but the Steelers will let a talented person go just like they let their talented OC go and we got him now.

I understand your point, except that the Steelers won a Super Bowl after letting go of Plax... and they were willing to trade Santonio for a measly 5th round pick to the Jets. The Jets signed Holmes to a 5yr/$50 Mill dollar deal and he's been a royal pain ever since. Think the Jets are happy with that.

I think the Steelers know what they're doing. All of their WR's were 3rd round picks or lower. I note that for all the fans here screaming for a WR in the 1st round. Talent can be found in later rounds as teams like the Steelers and Packers (just to name two) have shown.

If we do decide WR is a good idea in the draft then I think it would be a good idea to take a look at WR's who may be around later in the draft and probably should add a little size as well, possibilities COULD include (in my opinion)

Emory Blake 6'2" 193lbs-5th or 6th comp pick if we get one there

Marquess Wilson 6'4" 183lbs 5th maybe

Conner Vernon 6'2" 195lbs 5th

Dan Buckner 6'4" 215lbs 6th

Keenan Davis 6'2" 215lbs 5th-6th

Quinton Patton 6'2" 195lbs 5th-6th

Alec Lemon 6'2" 202lbs 6th-7th

ummm ok..... so u r saying we don't need a future #1 WR? Reggie is probably in his last contract as an NFL player...

Quite possibly true but unless my brain is total mush today I think he's got more than a year left so doesn't have to be this draft we look at a WR to replace him if that's your biggest concern. I'd almost be willing to be a large amount of money they won't take a WR in the first round next time around unless it's Jerry Rice reborn.

Whose to say too that someone else in the current crop doesn't step up, Reggie didn't start out as the #1 here...

Talent can be found in later rounds as teams like the Steelers and Packers (just to name two) have shown.

No doubt you are right about this. Except that we have a roster chuck full of later round talent, and I for one am very comfortable with the group we have. What is missing is that big, fast, sure-handed, perfect route running future #1 guy. I agree with the camp that says Wallace isn't that guy either.

We are fine with what we have, but I could see Grigson getting a WR in the draft if by some miracle "that guy" falls to us. I don't know who it might be... I haven't been able to watch much college ball this year. Unfortunately, while I appreciate Gavin's list of candidates, seldom do later round WRs have the combo mentioned above. In fact, seldom do they fall past #10 or so in the first round.

If we do decide WR is a good idea in the draft then I think it would be a good idea to take a look at WR's who may be around later in the draft and probably should add a little size as well, possibilities COULD include (in my opinion)

Emory Blake 6'2" 193lbs-5th or 6th comp pick if we get one there

Marquess Wilson 6'4" 183lbs 5th maybe

Conner Vernon 6'2" 195lbs 5th

Dan Buckner 6'4" 215lbs 6th

Keenan Davis 6'2" 215lbs 5th-6th

Quinton Patton 6'2" 195lbs 5th-6th

Alec Lemon 6'2" 202lbs 6th-7th

Do you know of any Reggie's in the next couple drafts at a skill position? I'm not talking about a guy like Reggie I mean a guy named Reggie. I would hate the Reggie chant to die once he retires.

On the one hand, they are 4th in the league in passing with these receivers and Luck is on pace to throw for 4700 yards. On the other hand, I haven't seen our receivers getting a ton of separation. He's throwing into tight coverage quite a bit, leading to turnovers and a lower completion percentage. Things could be made easier on him. If you're looking to build a dynamic offense, I'm sure you would want more talent in Avery's spot. It just all depends on what their philosophy is moving forward. I would be inclined to go with these receivers in the immediate future and shore it up elsewhere. Hilton, Fleener and Allen all have the potential to make a significant leap, lessening the need to upgrade your passing game.

On the one hand, they are 4th in the league in passing with these receivers and Luck is on pace to throw for 4700 yards. On the other hand, I haven't seen our receivers getting a ton of separation. He's throwing into tight coverage quite a bit, leading to turnovers and a lower completion percentage. Things could be made easier on him. If you're looking to build a dynamic offense, I'm sure you would want more talent in Avery's spot. It just all depends on what their philosophy is moving forward. I would be inclined to go with these receivers in the immediate future and shore it up elsewhere. Hilton, Fleener and Allen all have the potential to make a significant leap, lessening the need to upgrade your passing game.

I agree with much of what you have said. I do think, however, that Avery has been able to get seperation, especially on the deep routes. As we all know, Luck hasn't been able to connect with Avery on may of the deeper routes. That connection has gotten better recently, with the exception of the dropped deep pass by Avery this past game. As you've mentioned, aside from Wayne, the other receivers could work on getting more speration, but overall, the receiving corps has come together nicely. I don't think that it's an area of immediate concern.

I understand your point, except that the Steelers won a Super Bowl after letting go of Plax... and they were willing to trade Santonio for a measly 5th round pick to the Jets. The Jets signed Holmes to a 5yr/$50 Mill dollar deal and he's been a royal pain ever since. Think the Jets are happy with that.

I think the Steelers know what they're doing. All of their WR's were 3rd round picks or lower. I note that for all the fans here screaming for a WR in the 1st round. Talent can be found in later rounds as teams like the Steelers and Packers (just to name two) have shown.

I agree with much of what you say. My main point is that just because the Steelers lets go of a player, it doesn't mean they have leprosy. It just means they are being efficient. Specifically, Mike Wallace can still be a good receiver, he just doesn't fit into the Steeler's plans anymore.

I hope they sign one of the big name WR guys this off-season.

Some guys like Avery, Hilton and the like have done ok this year....but that's with Wayne being the focus of the passing game. Without him, I don't know that those guys would have looked as good as they have.

Wayne is getting up there and will only have 2 years left after this one.

I'd like to sign the stud WR to be here the next 5 years to team with Luck as his #1 guy going forward.

I agree with much of what you say. My main point is that just because the Steelers lets go of a player, it doesn't mean they have leprosy. It just means they are being efficient. Specifically, Mike Wallace can still be a good receiver, he just doesn't fit into the Steeler's plans anymore.

I agree that he can be a good receiver. And I like him a lot. And I wouldn't mind if he comes to the Colts.... but only up to the right price.

Obviously, I don't know what that price will be for the Colts. But if I were the GM, I wouldn't be interested at his asking price which I believe is in the $10 Mill a year range for 5 years. Too rich for my blood. But, your mileage may vary.....

Quite possibly true but unless my brain is total mush today I think he's got more than a year left so doesn't have to be this draft we look at a WR to replace him if that's your biggest concern. I'd almost be willing to be a large amount of money they won't take a WR in the first round next time around unless it's Jerry Rice reborn.

Whose to say too that someone else in the current crop doesn't step up, Reggie didn't start out as the #1 here...

we drafted Reggie as a #2 to learn from Marvin. After seeing us win a Superbowl and Reggie turning into a HOF WR, I think that may be the right formula.

I like Amendola too, but don't see how we need any more smurfs, unless Grigson finds better VALUE with someone not currently on the team.

Just because the team has cap room next year is not a good reason to lose sight of value, and the high upside vs. salary ratio we have with our current crop of smurfs is much better than anything we could get through free agency. The only thing we are missing right now that would make sense to find in FA or the draft is Mr. Big & Reliable. IMO.

I agree with all that.

I actually think Jerry Hughes has been playing than Freeney. Hughes should have Freeney's job. I would like to bring Hughes back instead of wasting a pick or money on a guy, that we could sign for less money and already knows the system.

I think Freeney's presence does a lot for our defense. Just him being out there usually sets up a double team and can free someone else up. With Freeney and Mathis on the field I feel great with the defense. Hughes just doesn't have the pass rushing presence as they do. I have seen him one on one with lineman all the time and he just doesn't have the footwork. Yes, he may be better in coverage and at the linebacker position but definitely not as a pass rusher.

I think Freeney's presence does a lot for our defense. Just him being out there usually sets up a double team and can free someone else up. With Freeney and Mathis on the field I feel great with the defense. Hughes just doesn't have the pass rushing presence as they do. I have seen him one on one with lineman all the time and he just doesn't have the footwork. Yes, he may be better in coverage and at the linebacker position but definitely not as a pass rusher.

two different spots though and responsibilites, Hughes is better from Mathis's spot and there would be no way would I put Freeney in Mathis's spot, Hughes has shown he can do both in this system even if his pass rush is not at elite level, I think it could be in this system but it doesnt have to be if we strike gold in the draft

I agree Freeney's presence is BIG for the defense, even at the tail end of his career, he is still considered one of the best pass rushers.

I personally just feel Hughes is better at the position because he has performed better. I know Freeney has been injured but Hughes naturally fits being a 3-4 OLB.

Unfortunately, I just don't think Freeney will be here next year anyway because of the money.

honestly i wouldnt mind seeing us let Avery walk and Collie go after the season, Mike Wallace is a FA after the season and he has made it known he dont want to be in pittsburgh anymore since they pretty much treated him badly by not giving him the contract he wanted but gave the same contract to antonio brown. Mike Wallace opposite of Reggie Wayne and Hilton/Brazill in the slot position on top of Allen or Fleener at TE. and the way our running game is improving each game this could be a top 5 offense next year. the Guard position needs to be fixed and possibly the center position also since satele cant stay healthy.

so my prediciton: i think we sign wallace i may be mistaken but wasnt the colts looking to trade for him during the off season when it all started up between him and pittsburgh??? i could be wrong...either way i believe Grigson offers him a contract he wont refuse.

other WR options:

Dwayne Bowe (big body, decent speed, good hands)

Victor Cruz (prob will resign with the Giants)

Josh Cribbs (can KR,PR, Receive, Run, good hands...him and Hilton receiving Kick offs would be lethal,kickers wont know where to kick)

Tedd Ginn Jr( can do the KR and PR game, fast, good hands.)

Wes Welker ( played with Brady, good vet. WR with playoff and superbowl experience to go alongside Wayne)

Greg Jennings( Superbowl and playoff experience. Good hands and has speed. really good when healthy and with the emergance of Cobb, Jones, and Nelson they really dont have to keep Jennings)

if we can lure one of those guys in, it could go along way in improving the offense

Why do that when Avery and Wallace are neck and neck in stats this year? Wallace is beating him currently in TDs, but that can change for Avery as the season moves along. Wallace is going to come with a significant paycheck. Offense will be sharper next year just by virtue of everyone being in sinc after having played together for a year.

TEs are big red zone targets love allen in redzone are u serious.Did you forget about TEs?

TE are great in the red zone cause they work the middle or can release on roll outs and that kind of play. A big WR lets you put him a lone on an island and just go up for a jump ball... i don't think you can do that with either allen or fleener. those big WR only come along every few years tho. see fitz, megatron and a.johnson