Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR for 2013 Season

PatMcAfeeFan

I just looked through our roster and saw that Avery is only signed for this season. I see us bringing him back. Then I look and could see this as the depth chart for WR for next year:

Starting WR- Wayne, Avery, and Hilton

Back-up- Brazil and Whalen

I only say that Whalen will be back with the club because I doubt Collie will be and Whalen was on fire in preseason before re-aggravating his foot injury.

Thoughts?

I just looked through our roster and saw that Avery is only signed for this season. I see us bringing him back. Then I look and could see this as the depth chart for WR for next year:

I only say that Whalen will be back with the club because I doubt Collie will be and Whalen was on fire in preseason before re-aggravating his foot injury.

Thoughts?

Looks right. Whalen looked great in his limited play. He also seems to play 'bigger' than he is, if you know what I mean.

I'd like to see us bring in a big guy to compliment the water bugs. But then I think how Marvin did fairly okay for us for a few years...

Thoughts?

honestly i wouldnt mind seeing us let Avery walk and Collie go after the season, Mike Wallace is a FA after the season and he has made it known he dont want to be in pittsburgh anymore since they pretty much treated him badly by not giving him the contract he wanted but gave the same contract to antonio brown. Mike Wallace opposite of Reggie Wayne and Hilton/Brazill in the slot position on top of Allen or Fleener at TE. and the way our running game is improving each game this could be a top 5 offense next year. the Guard position needs to be fixed and possibly the center position also since satele cant stay healthy.

so my prediciton: i think we sign wallace i may be mistaken but wasnt the colts looking to trade for him during the off season when it all started up between him and pittsburgh??? i could be wrong...either way i believe Grigson offers him a contract he wont refuse.

other WR options:

Dwayne Bowe (big body, decent speed, good hands)

Victor Cruz (prob will resign with the Giants)

Josh Cribbs (can KR,PR, Receive, Run, good hands...him and Hilton receiving Kick offs would be lethal,kickers wont know where to kick)

Tedd Ginn Jr( can do the KR and PR game, fast, good hands.)

Wes Welker ( played with Brady, good vet. WR with playoff and superbowl experience to go alongside Wayne)

Greg Jennings( Superbowl and playoff experience. Good hands and has speed. really good when healthy and with the emergance of Cobb, Jones, and Nelson they really dont have to keep Jennings)

if we can lure one of those guys in, it could go along way in improving the offense

Wes Welker ( played with Brady, good vet. WR with playoff and superbowl experience to go alongside Wayne)

Greg Jennings( Superbowl and playoff experience. Good hands and has speed. really good when healthy and with the emergance of Cobb, Jones, and Nelson they really dont have to keep Jennings)

No to all of these.

haha to the bold.

honestly i wouldnt mind seeing us let Avery walk and Collie go after the season, Mike Wallace is a FA after the season and he has made it known he dont want to be in pittsburgh anymore since they pretty much treated him badly by not giving him the contract he wanted but gave the same contract to antonio brown. Mike Wallace opposite of Reggie Wayne and Hilton/Brazill in the slot position on top of Allen or Fleener at TE. and the way our running game is improving each game this could be a top 5 offense next year. the Guard position needs to be fixed and possibly the center position also since satele cant stay healthy.

so my prediciton: i think we sign wallace i may be mistaken but wasnt the colts looking to trade for him during the off season when it all started up between him and pittsburgh??? i could be wrong...either way i believe Grigson offers him a contract he wont refuse.

other WR options:

Dwayne Bowe (big body, decent speed, good hands)

Victor Cruz (prob will resign with the Giants)

Josh Cribbs (can KR,PR, Receive, Run, good hands...him and Hilton receiving Kick offs would be lethal,kickers wont know where to kick)

if we can lure one of those guys in, it could go along way in improving the offense

bowe good hands are u serious he has some of the worst hand all ways drop big key plays

I see Avery coming back.... Collie not.... and Whalen on the bubble...

I see us going for another WR in FA, but I'm guessing not one of the Big Names. Those guys want 5 years/$50 Mill +...

I suspect that's going to be more than we're interested in...

Just my hunch....

I agree.

Our #1 replacement for Wayne probably comes from the 2014 draft and not 2013 draft, IMO.

Skill positions - draft them, those WRs and RBs are more hungry and once they get their big contract, unless they have excellent work ethic, their production does not remain the same after being paid. It is slim pickings for the ones with the best work ethic and talent, hence the draft is better for the same.

We will draft a WR in the 1st round to eventually take over for Reggie as Luck's #1.

We need the next franchise WR and no one has named anyone who could be that guy. We need the next AJ Green

oh sure...while you're at it throw in the next deon sanders, lawrence taylor, and steve hutchinson

I'm totally content with Reggie, Avery, Hilton, Brazill, and whoever wins between Kris Adams/Nathan Palmer/Griff Whalen. It seems nice on paper to shell out some money for Wallace, but I don't think it's necessary and I like a more 'bang for your buck' approach. Plus if you do that, you may never know what you have on your own roster. Griff Whalen might be as good as Danny Amendola. Nathan Palmer may be the next Victor Cruz. We'll never find out if we throw 10 mil per year at Mike Wallace.

I don't see a pick up of WRs in FA, I still see us bringing in guys for the offensive and defensive lines.

We may draft another WR in the first 3 rounds, i suspect.

WRs is something I don't think we need to worry about.

Bring back Avery and we can still have Wayne, Hilton, and Brazil

It's not like we don't have the money to do both, we'll have 40+ million in cap space free next season and if we let Freeney walk, that number is amplified by a ton.

It's almost impossible for us to NOT sign multiple FA's, unless we just don't want to spend the money, which has the odds of about 0.

It's not like we don't have the money to do both, we'll have 40+ million in cap space free next season and if we let Freeney walk, that number is amplified by a ton.

It's almost impossible for us to NOT sign multiple FA's, unless we just don't want to spend the money, which has the odds of about 0.

I wasn't saying that we wouldn't sign anybody at all.

I was just stating that we should use the money on other needs. Offensive and defensive lines are big ones. Secondary is a huge concern. I would even put finding another kicker before WR needs. WRs are a dime a dozen, just like RBs.

2013 draft needs to be focused on CB/OLB/S IMO, FA can be used for any gaps on O, though as stated above you might not get bang for your buck. I would like to see more of a true vertical threat to help in the red zone, I think it would compliment the TEs nicely. To that end surprised no team looked at Buress.

I'd be happy with Avery back for the right money, and we have depth at WR compared to other positions. As for finding the next AJ Green, is there one in the 2013 draft?

I wasn't saying that we wouldn't sign anybody at all.

I was just stating that we should use the money on other needs. Offensive and defensive lines are big ones. Secondary is a huge concern. I would even put finding another kicker before WR needs. WRs are a dime a dozen, just like RBs.

There aren't enough OL and DL FA's that would make an impact to spend even half of that Cap space.

I would rather spend it on guys in the trenches that can get the job done than a flashy WR that won't make any more impact than the guys we already have.

I'm just not sure who you want to spend this $$ on.

If you say you want to get a shutdown CB in addition to OL and DL then I can see your argument.

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-50-2013-nfl-free-agents/

I can see the F.O. paying Avery a fraction of what Mike Wallace would want. I think Arians has already made comparisons of the 2, they play the position very similarly.

I can't agree more. There is just one more thing that Avery has that Wallace doesn't seem to have and that is Avery is a decent route runner and only getting better with Reggie helping him develop.

bowe good hands are u serious he has some of the worst hand all ways drop big key plays

im sorry but 3 seasons of 1,000+ yards with a possible 4th season this year out of 6 years is pretty good concidering the QB situation. and when i say good hands im meaning he dont fumble. 4 fumbles and 1 lost in his 6 year career isnt bad. everyone has dropped passes. you cant be perfect sorry its impossible even in " big key play situations ".

I'm just not sure who you want to spend this $$ on.

If you say you want to get a shutdown CB in addition to OL and DL then I can see your argument.

http://nfltraderumor...fl-free-agents/

I never said spend it just on one position.

$40 million would be a lot to spend on one particular area.

First, both offensive and defensive lines are bad. Those positions are usually cheap compared to others.

We need another CB to compliment Vontae and another SS to replace Zibby.

Then after that maybe get a WR, but you can find good WRs anywhere. Luck could make a lot of them look good, or bad, depending on the throw.

I never said spend it just on one position.

$40 million would be a lot to spend on one particular area.

First, both offensive and defensive lines are bad. Those positions are usually cheap compared to others.

We need another CB to compliment Vontae and another SS to replace Zibby.

Then after that maybe get a WR, but you can find good WRs anywhere. Luck could make a lot of them look good, or bad, depending on the throw.

I believe the WRs on this roster are fine for this year and next, but then next year in the draft we need to get a #1 WR to replace "Old Reliable" Wayne. I think we have two great deep threats with Avery and Hilton and we have a good slot man in Whalen, as someone pointed out during preseason Whalen is the poor mans Wes Welker.

O-Line and D-Line will be priorities in this FA period. I think we look at some CBs to be number 2. Now, I think we will be looking at the draft to find a SS.

There is one more position we need to address and that is Rush LB if we let Freeney walk we need to find a compliment to Mathis either in the draft or FA.

I'm OK with paying him big $$$ He deserves it.

Ask yourself this question....

The Steelers are a very well run organization. They do not have a reputation for being cheap. They pay their guys.

And the Steelers might be willing to let Wallace walk. What does that tell you?

And they signed Antonio Brown to a big deal, I think it's $8.5 Mill per year for 4/5 years..... and yet, not Wallace. To me, that's a big red flag warning. The Steelers typically don't make mistakes like that. Maybe it's not a mistake.

Donnie Avery 519 yards/1 TD

Mike Wallace 539 yards/6 TDs

Yeah, you can look at the TDs and say that's a pretty big discrepancy, but Ben is just throwing for more TDs while Luck takes a lot of the goal line TDs on the ground. I think people are overrating Wallace based on his theoretical big-play ability. Avery can put the burn on Corners just as well as Wallace, but Wallace gets all the credit since he has more continuity in his career. Give Avery a chance to prove himself and he's almost on pace for a 1,000 yard season.

I believe the WRs on this roster are fine for this year and next, but then next year in the draft we need to get a #1 WR to replace "Old Reliable" Wayne. I think we have two great deep threats with Avery and Hilton and we have a good slot man in Whalen, as someone pointed out during preseason Whalen is the poor mans Wes Welker.

O-Line and D-Line will be priorities in this FA period. I think we look at some CBs to be number 2. Now, I think we will be looking at the draft to find a SS.

There is one more position we need to address and that is Rush LB if we let Freeney walk we need to find a compliment to Mathis either in the draft or FA.

I agree with all that.

I actually think Jerry Hughes has been playing than Freeney. Hughes should have Freeney's job. I would like to bring Hughes back instead of wasting a pick or money on a guy, that we could sign for less money and already knows the system.

Ask yourself this question....

The Steelers are a very well run organization. They do not have a reputation for being cheap. They pay their guys.

And the Steelers might be willing to let Wallace walk. What does that tell you?

And they signed Antonio Brown to a big deal, I think it's $8.5 Mill per year for 4/5 years..... and yet, not Wallace. To me, that's a big red flag warning. The Steelers typically don't make mistakes like that. Maybe it's not a mistake.

That tells me that they do not have enough money to sign him, which we all know is the case. The Steelers want to keep Mike Wallace, they simply just don't have the cap space free to pay him.

They are actually already OVER the cap for next season with the scheduled contracts by about 8-10 MIL

Here is a good article on it http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/43083/steelers-only-temporarily-capping-problems

Donnie Avery 519 yards/1 TD

Mike Wallace 539 yards/6 TDs

Yeah, you can look at the TDs and say that's a pretty big discrepancy, but Ben is just throwing for more TDs while Luck takes a lot of the goal line TDs on the ground. I think people are overrating Wallace based on his theoretical big-play ability. Avery can put the burn on Corners just as well as Wallace, but Wallace gets all the credit since he has more continuity in his career. Give Avery a chance to prove himself and he's almost on pace for a 1,000 yard season.

Two of Wallace's TD's are from within the red zone.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/situationalstats

That tells me he has big play potential, especially starting off the season slow due to his holdout.

im sorry but 3 seasons of 1,000+ yards with a possible 4th season this year out of 6 years is pretty good concidering the QB situation. and when i say good hands im meaning he dont fumble. 4 fumbles and 1 lost in his 6 year career isnt bad. everyone has dropped passes. you cant be perfect sorry its impossible even in " big key play situations ".

When u say hands u mean catching if I last remember fumbling is not one of or wr problems

That tells me that they do not have enough money to sign him, which we all know is the case. The Steelers want to keep Mike Wallace, they simply just don't have the cap space free to pay him.

They are actually already OVER the cap for next season with the scheduled contracts by about 8-10 MIL

Here is a good article on it http://espn.go.com/b...apping-problems

Good find....

But, please note, that story was from late February.... and since then, they went ahead and signed Antonio Brown.

Wallace may be worth 10+ a year to some team -- and maybe even the Colts too with the connection to Arians -- I'm just not convinced that's what Grigson wants to do. To invest that much money in a WR. My hunch is what Wallace wants is too rich for the Colts and we'll invest our money elsewhere...

Again, just my hunch.... I know plenty of people here disagree with it....

Good find....

But, please note, that story was from late February.... and since then, they went ahead and signed Antonio Brown.

Wallace may be worth 10+ a year to some team -- and maybe even the Colts too with the connection to Arians -- I'm just not convinced that's what Grigson wants to do. To invest that much money in a WR. My hunch is what Wallace wants is too rich for the Colts and we'll invest our money elsewhere...

Again, just my hunch.... I know plenty of people here disagree with it....

I'm inclined to agree with you NCF. I just don't see Wallace happening.

My feeling is the Colts will go strictly BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE in the draft, and fill holes and shore up the lines in free agency. IMO, the only way another receiver is added will be if a STUD falls into the teams lap in the draft.