Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if the colts broncos and ravens finish 13-3 who would own tie breaker

Stephen

There is far too much football left to play to even begin to accurately address a hypothetical question like that. The likelyhood of anything close to that happening is really slim.

One key thing to consider is that Denver/Baltimore play, so if each of those finish 13-3 the winner of that game would own the head-to-head tie-breaker. If that miraculous scenario played out the Colts would likely own the tiebreaker, but it's not worth the time to break it down.

But for those wanting to spend time dissecting that at this point here you go:

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

• The division champion with the best record.
  • The division champion with the second-best record.
  • The division champion with the third-best record.
  • The division champion with the fourth-best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the best record.
  • The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best net points in common games.
  • Best net points in all games.
  • Best net touchdowns in all games.
  • Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

• Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best net points in common games.
  • Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

• If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  • If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

• Head-to-head, if applicable.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best net points in conference games.
  • Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

• Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  • Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best net points in conference games.
  • Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

• Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
  • In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
  • To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
  • To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
  • To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

• Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
  • The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
  • The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
  • The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.

If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

The Liberty Bell Rehab Center....he had a crack in him :).......(Just say no) :spit:

@FireJim:

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures: We knew we could count on you...that is why I decided to joke around a little bit. Thanks as always!!!!

:offtopic: ................................... :topic: ..................Go :colts: :colts: :colts: !!!

Colts would hold the tiebreakers with both... With Common games Colts would end 4-0 with the 4 like games. And Denver would have the edge over Baltimore with Head to head win. or Denver would fall to 12-4 if they lost to Baltimore.

If Denver Beats Ravens, and Colts lose 2 to Texans most likely Broncos, but first off iF Texans win division then that puts Colts automatically behind any division winner in the playoffs

If Denver Beats Ravens, and Colts lose 2 to Texans most likely Broncos, but first off iF Texans win division then that puts Colts automatically behind any division winner in the playoffs

Colts would hold the tiebreakers with both... With Common games Colts would end 4-0 with the 4 like games. And Denver would have the edge over Baltimore with Head to head win. or Denver would fall to 12-4 if they lost to Baltimore.

sorry My answer made no sense in regards to question , i put in error in comment # 15 but above posted anyway

as u were answering as if Colts win out, would be nice but doubtfull, as of now my heart breaks no matter how the wildcard weekend plays out as Denver hoasts Colts as of right now and if thats the case no matter who wins I will be happy as heart breaks

Its like Peyton & Elis parents watching them play Vs eachother, u r gald and sad at end no matter what

If they all finished 13-3 then the Colts would have the #1 seed, Broncos #2, and Ravens #3.

The Broncos have lost to New England, and if the Colts finish 13-3 that means they beat New England. Then if the Broncos finish 13-3 it means they have beaten Baltimore. Then New England would be in fourth, The Texans in fifth, and the Steelers in sixth.

If they all finished 13-3 then the Colts would have the #1 seed, Broncos #2, and Ravens #3.

The Broncos have lost to New England, and if the Colts finish 13-3 that means they beat New England. Then if the Broncos finish 13-3 it means they have beaten Baltimore. Then New England would be in fourth, The Texans in fifth, and the Steelers in sixth.

So what you're saying is that the Colts will host the Broncos in the AFC Championship game? Forget waiting until the 2013 regular season, lets get this drama started in January. ESPN will be all over this with every angle being used to hype Peyton's return to Indy lol.

that would be interesting

Dude, I can't believe you actually think that even a possibility. You need to learn to face reality.

Now, excuse me, I have to get ready for the end of the world, which we all know is going to happen on Dec 21. I read it on-line so it must be true.

So what you're saying is that the Colts will host the Broncos in the AFC Championship game? Forget waiting until the 2013 regular season, lets get this drama started in January. ESPN will be all over this with every angle being used to hype Peyton's return to Indy lol.

Hypothetically it can happen, but a lot has to align for that to happen.

Dude, I can't believe you actually think that even a possibility. You need to learn to face reality.

Now, excuse me, I have to get ready for the end of the world, which we all know is going to happen on Dec 21. I read it on-line so it must be true.

Lots of bottled water and canned goods are highly recommended....milk curdles....... :yes: .......also canned goods are overrated....they taste like cans...not good when expecting a :Nuke: or other world ending event......just sayin.

Since December 21 is the first day of winter......there must be a Humpty Dumpty connection from that ever-so-horrific fall he had......and here we thought from Bayone's astute assessment that Mr. Dumpty had sprang up from 'said fall'.....we may have a crisis on our hands.......OK forget it all....Lets just beat the :pcsmash::censored2: Patriots :brady: :flyingelvis: on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!! :td: :td:

Hypothetically it can happen, but a lot has to align for that to happen.

Hypothetically, I could back out of the mall parking space and bump into Anne Hathaway and we fall head-over-hills in love and spend life happily ever after. But we know both know that's not going to happen either.

Yo Stephen.. Make it happen!

Hypothetically, I could back out of the mall parking space and bump into Anne Hathaway and we fall head-over-hills in love and spend life happily ever after. But we know both know that's not going to happen either.

Yo Stephen.. Make it happen!

I think that has a better chance of happening than this. haha