Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NT Ta'amu Waived By The Steelers

HarassedOffTheSite

Yeah, kids make mistakes. If the FO thinks this will interrupt what we have going in the locker room, then stay away, but I like to think Redding and co. could help him. I'm not so sure about the Steelers' locker room influence. Would like a guy that many had us taking round 2 or 3.

hmm...well I really don't think he'd be an answer at NT for us. I was never impressed with him at Washington as a NT. However, I do think he could play either 3 tech or 5 tech and possibly wind up being an upgrade over Guy and Geathers. Ta'amu has a huge frame and that misleads a lot of people into thinking he's a prototypical NT but he's really not, imo. His play style is that of a penetrator so, especially with Nevis having just gone to IR, this could be an intriguing pickup, so long as people don't expect him to go in and be a run stopper like we think Chapman will be, which is actually intriguing because, as more of a penetrator, then he may be able to help provide more of an interior pass rush.

I'm not so much worried about what he did that got him suspended, as I am about what he DIDN'T DO... namely, play well and likely not be in shape.

If a team like Pittsburgh, who wanted this guy and needed this guy has cut this guy..... well... I'm a bit queasy about considering him. Seems like something -- some Big Piece of the Puzzle -- is missing here.

The following is what he did:

"The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://bit.ly/T22HQI ) reports that authorities allege that 22-year-old Alameda Ta'amu of Kent, Wash., was driving a sport utility vehicle the wrong way on Pittsburgh's South Side at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. Police say the 6-foot-3, 348-pound Ta'amu fled officers and crashed into four parked cars, injuring a woman, then tried to flee on foot before he was restrained.

Charges against him include felony fleeing police, aggravated assault and aggravated assault by vehicle."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/alameda-taamu-arrested-steelers-police-chase_n_1965174.html

He did a bit more than drinking. You decide........

I hope no one who was against signing Janoris Jenkins is okay with this signing.

and apparently he has a mental disorder.

"The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://bit.ly/T22HQI ) reports that authorities allege that 22-year-old Alameda Ta'amu of Kent, Wash., was driving a sport utility vehicle the wrong way on Pittsburgh's South Side at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. Police say the 6-foot-3, 348-pound Ta'amu fled officers and crashed into four parked cars, injuring a woman, then tried to flee on foot before he was restrained.

Charges against him include felony fleeing police, aggravated assault and aggravated assault by vehicle."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1965174.html

I hope no one who was against signing Janoris Jenkins is okay with this signing.

need to look at him if we get the chance and if we do sign him make sure there are strict guidelines he has to follow but a 1 year deal wouldnt hurt to see if he can right the ship, what he did was stupid and careless but he is still young, I'd give him a shot if he is healthy and can act like a grown adult, 1 screw up and he is gone, with that said it seems to say something and maybe alot about the guys character if the Steelers are willing to cut there 4th round pick loose

http://www.huffingto..._n_1965174.html

Kids make mistakes...assault on police personnel and a woman was injured (perhaps when crashing into a car)

No thanks...we are thin at NT, still we shouldn't sign problematic persons...

Too bad, an other talented young player who wastes his talent. What punishment can he count on? We wouldn't make much use of a player serving it's sentence.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

Not knowing what scouts & coaches may know, I'd sign him tonight. We NEED legitimate 3/4 NTs. Short of killing somebody, I don't care about his actions after getting drunk. Let the locker room sort out his personal stuff. We need run stuffing NTs who require double-teams.

Then we dont need ta'amu

Nahhh... we don't need guys like him on the team.

Plus, I doubt he starts with Chapman coming back and Tevaesu slowly becoming the starter (Mookie only had 18 snaps last game).

*sigh* i highly doubt tevaseu is slowly becoming the starter. The jags had virtually no running game. They were playing more wide sits because they were trying to win with their passing game. Therefore we were playing our pass rushers more than the run defenders. Tevaseu is not a better run defender at this point than mookie, id even say its not even close. Chapman will likely eventually be the first string nt but the only way tevaseu becomes #2 is if mookie does not get re-signed when his contract is up.

Without wishing to sound a hypocritical fence sitter, I don't think you can dismiss talent or potential if it had been a minor misdemeanour People, especially young men make mistakes in life, I should know ;). However this is a bit beyond the pale and it's telling the Steelers released him after having a close up view of his overall personality.

Drinking and driving.... ok snap bad judgement, fleeing from the police, again snap bad judgement especially under the influence. Aggravated assault with and without a vehicle... no thanks.

We've got something good going on here right now, let's not upset the karma, we've got a good reputation as a ball club let's not sully it.

Ta'amu does have 7.5 sacks playing Nose at Washington while starting 42 of 50 games, so I'd say he does provide some pass rush, certainly more then any Nose Tackle we have, He also had 16.5 tackles for loss. I expect we will kick the tires, its only the smart thing to do to take a look

Id say at least check him out. Some people make dumb decisions and learn from them, and some never learn. Everyone deserves a second chance but the question is do the Colts give him that second chance. If he could provide good pass rush from the NT spot or play 5 tech you have to at least look into him.

*sigh* i highly doubt tevaseu is slowly becoming the starter. The jags had virtually no running game. They were playing more wide sits because they were trying to win with their passing game. Therefore we were playing our pass rushers more than the run defenders. Tevaseu is not a better run defender at this point than mookie, id even say its not even close. Chapman will likely eventually be the first string nt but the only way tevaseu becomes #2 is if mookie does not get re-signed when his contract is up.

Not the permanant starter, for the short term that seems to be the case.

He is not the answer longterm, but for now he may be.

I hope we pick him up for some depth, knock on wood but if chapman goes down then it would be wise to have made that move

Big Joe was saying today that Nevis was IR'd by Indy just to bring Chapman up... I wonder if he is on the IR that one can return from? Was Nevis PS eligible? Was he IR's so Indy would not be forced to outright release him?

Oh well Lets hope Chap stays healthy.