Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 NFL Free Agency: Corner Backs

DS3

With Powers on IR, And His Possibility of being Cut Going Up What Corner Do You Think Colts Are Most Likely To Make A Run For If They DON'T RESIGN Powers ?

Brent Grimes (ATL) - After a couple of All-Pro caliber seasons under his belt, Grimes was unable to reach a long-term extension with the Falcons. A season-ending injury such as this often gives merit to camp holdouts, but with an increased importance at the position and diminishing number of true top flight corners, Grimes should still hold value this offseason. His contract situation with the Falcons may depend on the teamÕs season unfolds and GrimesÕ contract ballpark may depend on how fast he heals.

Tracy Porter (DEN) - After being unable to find a long-term home for himself, Porter accepted a 1 year, $4 million deal to start opposite a waning Champ Bailey on the other side. Through the early stretch of the season, Porter has played well. If only he can stay healthy, an issue that haunted him in New Orleans, Porter should be able to cash in after a successful Òprove itÓ season.

Sean Smith (MIA) - After trading another up-and-coming corner and former first round pick in Vontae Davis, the Dolphins showed confidence and placed a lot of stock in their long corner Sean Smith. If there's anything his career has shown so far, it's been inconsistency. If Smith gets everything to click for an entire season, he surely has Pro Bowl capability. Miami seems almost a lock to retain Smith, but the quality and consistency of his 2012 season will go a long way in determining the size and length of his contract

Quentin Jammer (SD) - For the past 7+ years, Quentin Jammer has been among the most underrated defensive backs in the league. As one of the most consistent cover corners, he's hardly gotten so much as a Pro Bowl mention to his name. Now with a contract expiring, Jammer will be 34 as the 2013 season begins. He's signed his last big contract, but despite struggling a bit last year, there is still quality play in front of Jammer.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (PHI) - After trading for him in the infamous Kevin Kolb trade (which is now being re-evaluated), the Eagles traded their Pro Bowl corner Asante Samuel, propelling DRC into a start boundary corner position. He has the length and speed to challenge top receivers downfield, but has struggled consistently covering more polished receivers. He's hardly a top flight corner, but he's the only starting corner the Eagles have opposite Nnamdi Asomugha.

Derek Cox (JAC) - Though struggling to stay over a full 16-game schedule, Cox has been a strong starter when on the field. Averaging just 6.4 YPA against him over the past two years, allowing completions against him less than 50% of the time, the Jaguars will definitely look to re-sign him to maintain continuity in a middling, but improving defense.

Aqib Talib (TB) - Besides finishing among league leaders in boneheaded decisions and off-field incidents, Talib has turned in seasons as one of the better corners in the league. With size, athletic ability, and ball skills, he's brings tremendous value to a defensive backfield in today's game. However, Coach Schiano and the new regime may be less tolerant of Talib's off-field distractions.

I Would Love If We Could Get DRC From Philly. Great Speedy Tall Corner With Lots of Potential. Would Pair Nicely With Davis. With All the Money We Can Spend This Off Season... Maybe a 3yr 18 Million Dollar Deal ? I know We Still Have To Get Davis Long Term As Well. I Think After This Season or The Next We Lock Him To a 5yr Deal.

Thoughts ?

Cary Williams from the Ravens, Pagano connection.

Keenan Lewis from the Steelers, a promising young prospect like Brandon Carr of the Cowboys was with the Chiefs.

DeShean Goldson, S (49ers) or Jairus Byrd, S (Bills)

If we get all 3, our secondary would be miles better.

Keenan Lewis from the Steelers, a promising young prospect like Brandon Carr of the Cowboys was with the Chiefs.

:scorebad:

:scorebad:

The Only Person I'd Take Off that List Would be Deshean Goldson

I'm assuming that, given the title of this thread, all of them will be FAs? If so, yes that would be a coup.

Also, since we know how this regime feels about injury prone players, I'm guess Powers is gone.

I agree with Chad...i much rater take someone who has potential like Cary Williams or Lewis and Byrd/Goldson than an over rated DRC who it seems everyone wants just because we know his name. he has potential cant deny that since he was a 1st rounder but cmon, i have seen him play a lot and i dont see that all mighty CB that some people see.

for the price he would command i much rather get a S and a cb

I agree with Chad...i much rater take someone who has potential like Cary Williams or Lewis and Byrd/Goldson than an over rated DRC who it seems everyone wants just because we know his name. he has potential cant deny that since he was a 1st rounder but cmon, i have seen him play a lot and i dont see that all mighty CB that some people see.

for the price he would command i much rather get a S and a cb

I got it from this site, a site Superman recommended a while ago:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cornerback/

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/safety/

Sorry, it is DaShon Goldson, I got the spelling wrong :)

I'm now on the "Powers is gone" train. I figured he'd be re-signed, but not now. And definitely not at starting CB money. Two years, $10 million, at best. And that's being generous. Just can't stay healthy. This is the third year in a row he's been placed on IR.

Especially when he's not exactly shown that much more than the other CBs when he can take the field.

Especially when he's not exactly shown that much more than the other CBs when he can take the field.

Yup. Early on, I thought Powers was doing okay, and after the Green Bay game, he seemed to be ready to break out. Since then, though, he was mostly underwhelming, and in the past couple of games, he was really getting picked on.

The Only Person I'd Take Off that List Would be Deshean Goldson

And you'd take him off the list because..... why?

I saw a story in the last 10-14 days that said Goldson was playing at a very high level, near pro bowl caliber.

I think the only reason not to have him on a list is because he might not be able to play opposite Bethea, their games might be too similar? Not sure. But otherwise, I'm interested....

And you'd take him off the list because..... why?

I saw a story in the last 10-14 days that said Goldson was playing at a very high level, near pro bowl caliber.

I think the only reason not to have him on a list is because he might not be able to play opposite Bethea, their games might be too similar? Not sure. But otherwise, I'm interested....

He meant "take off that list" as in signing him. Off of that list, he's the only one I would take, for example.

No, its a priorities proposition. And one that CB advocates perpetually fail.

Agreed, those that do advocate for Corners (like myself) usually do fail and we continually wind up in the bottom rung of teams when it comes to playing the pass because of it, we have had Freeney and Mathis for years first in a 4-3 and now in a 3-4 yet very little improvement has been made in completion percentage wise and yardage, we are 14th in passing yards given up with isn't bad but another Corner would improve that, not that I am advocating for 1 in FA cause Im not in this case

Yup. Early on, I thought Powers was doing okay, and after the Green Bay game, he seemed to be ready to break out. Since then, though, he was mostly underwhelming, and in the past couple of games, he was really getting picked on.

That's how I see it, about that point he would have been a priority to get resigned for next season, now not so much. If you could get him for Nickel money maybe but I doubt it. I think the ability is there but as you say 3 IRs in 3 years is not good.

Totally agree with this.

If Powers could be resigned for very little money, he could be used in nickel maybe. But that's it.