Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts vs Patriots* Rivalry Gets Magnified If...

HarassedOffTheSite

There used to be many, many Patriot fans on here.

All of whom posted every day.

Now? This site is a ghost town compared to '04-'07.

Ask any of the long time posters. There aren't many left, but they can tell you .

I know, I remember, I was here. I'm not here to enforce an opinion on you, just calling out some slight irony.

It probably is over in terms of being "the rivalry of the decade" and I am fine with it. However, I am not convinced it was JUST Manning vs. Brady. If you say that then you are just flat out also admitting that "Brady won" then considering his teams have more wins in the regular season and postseason vs. the Manning Colts. I always thought of it as Pats vs. Colts too, not just Brady vs. Manning but thats now how the media and fans often built it. Considering the QBs are a year apart too it was a good fit. And Manning was the first overall pick in the draft and Brady was the Cinderella story who came from the 6th round. People LOVED it and still do.

And it's funny, when I look back at a lot of those old Pats teams I don't just think of Brady either. I think of all those defensive players long gone too......

I am fortunate to had gone to Pats/Colts 2006 in NE since honestly that felt like the real last year to me. After that year Brady and that offense turned into a power house themselves with Moss/Welker. I just felt like a lot changed in 2007 and so did the Pats identity at times in the coming years as they slowly started to rebuild their D.

It wasn't the same for me with Denver vs. NE this year. It was almost a watered down version of the old days. Still nice, but not the same.

But, the times, they are a changin. Houston is the top dog now in the AFC after years of being laughed at, Ray Lewis is out for the season in Baltimore, Steelers are not the feared defensive powerhouse they once were IMO, Luck is the Colts QB for the future and Manning/Brady are going to try their best to snag more records, MVPs or rings before their time is up.

The Patriots game is still big but the rivalry moved with Manning, didn't the coverage for the Broncos/Pats game prove that with all the quarterback duel comparisons? Even the NFL tried to keep the rivalry issue down when they moved the Colts into the newly formed AFC South and put the Miami Dolphins in the AFC East when it should have been the other way around. Great rivalries are divisional-Cowboys/Redskins, Bears/Packers, Steelers/Ravens, there are many more examples so the rivalry with New England was brought on by having two of the best quarterbacks in the game play each other every year and making boatloads of money from it.

It probably is over in terms of being "the rivalry of the decade" and I am fine with it. However, I am not convinced it was JUST Manning vs. Brady. If you say that then you are just flat out also admitting that "Brady won" then considering his teams have more wins in the regular season and postseason vs. the Manning Colts. I always thought of it as Pats vs. Colts too, not just Brady vs. Manning but thats now how the media and fans often built it. Considering the QBs are a year apart too it was a good fit. And Manning was the first overall pick in the draft and Brady was the Cinderella story who came from the 6th round. People LOVED it and still do.

And it's funny, when I look back at a lot of those old Pats teams I don't just think of Brady either. I think of all those defensive players long gone too......

I am fortunate to had gone to Pats/Colts 2006 in NE since honestly that felt like the real last year to me. After that year Brady and that offense turned into a power house themselves with Moss/Welker. I just felt like a lot changed in 2007 and so did the Pats identity at times in the coming years as they slowly started to rebuild their D.

It wasn't the same for me with Denver vs. NE this year. It was almost a watered down version of the old days. Still nice, but not the same.

But, the times, they are a changin. Houston is the top dog now in the AFC after years of being laughed at, Ray Lewis is out for the season in Baltimore, Steelers are not the feared defensive powerhouse they once were IMO, Luck is the Colts QB for the future and Manning/Brady are going to try their best to snag more records, MVPs or rings before their time is up.

Jules,

You know that I have a great deal of respect for your commentary. It was purely a Manning Vs Brady head to head matchup. 2 brilliant field generals moving chess pieces on the football field trying to outwit the other sides secondary. Oh sure, individual players made remarkable plays: Dallas Clark, Wes Welker, Bob Sanders, Tedi Bruschi, Gary Brackett, Corey Dillion, Joseph Addai, Mike Vrabel, Marvin Harrison, Rodney Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Austin Collie, Troy Brown, the list of play makers in the old Colts/Pats rivalry is endless.

"It wasn't the same for me with Denver vs. NE this year. It was almost a watered down version of the old days. Still nice, but not the same." This statement directly correlates to the value, influence, and impact of the Manning/Brady rivalry. The scenery had changed, the uniforms had changed, the fan base had changed; It was completely different though like a stranger in a strange land. They both spoke the same football verbiage, lingo, and language as always, but the players on the roster were different and the dialect was a tad bitter off and peculiar. The fact that you are even pointing this reality out at all proves how significant the intellectual capacity of both HOF generals really truly was IMO.

Yes, sure, but those two teams met in the finals twice in recent years.

I think the problem here is that Indy fans still dislike NE fans but NE fans are a little indifferent toward you guys now. I haven't had "hard feelings" about the Colts in a long time anyway, just a grudging respect, lol...

Well said Go Pats. With regards to the Patriots I have alot of respect for the team. I don't like some of the old players but they have long since been retired(Harrison,Bruschi) and to be truthful the reason for the dislike is because of what those two players always used to do to us. While i still will crack a smile when I see NE get thumped, I can't help but respect when NE thumps someone else.

Yes, mutual hatred that evolves into respect because both teams are evenly matched. That is what a rivalry requires ultimately...2 evenly matched teams and the Colts are nowhere near that yet. Can we shock the world by beating the Patriots? Doubtful, but it is possible. Rivalries evolve through good to great consistency of QB play, pass rush ability, tackling prowess, and special teams execution over a sustained period of time. We just aren't there yet that's all. Yes, we will play a competitive game, but at the end of the day this is our buzz saw game. I use it as my benchmark game to see how far we have to go to return to prominence again.

Is the Colts/Pats game a rivalry right now? Nope, not even close IMO.

Sorry Buddy but just because a team isn't very good doesn't mean a great rivalry can exist. Heck look at us vs. Jags or even TN. Heck last year when we were downright awful the NE game was our SB......

I understand what you are saying but I would think the rivalry can exist for a long time regardless of W's and L's :thmup:

Sorry Buddy but just because a team isn't very good doesn't mean a great rivalry can exist. Heck look at us vs. Jags or even TN. Heck last year when we were downright awful the NE game was our SB......

I understand what you are saying but I would think the rivalry can exist for a long time regardless of W's and L's :thmup:

You do have a point my friend. Redskins will always hate the Cowboys, Bears always wanna stomp the Packers, & the Browns always wanna get the upper hand on Pittsburgh. Records don't matter. Just beat your chief division rival. Well stated coltsfanmilyman! :hat: So yes, from a purely symbolic perspective, defeating your arch nemesis can make a team's entire year. Go Colts! :colts:

Ask any of the long time posters. There aren't many left, but they can tell you .

True VL, a franchise must be relevant in a head to head contest to legitimately compete for SB rings and Lombardi Championships. If you are not an annual Playoffs contender year after year, you largely get ignored as an organization by other proven franchise NFL winners. No argument there VL. :thmup: Just ask the NY Jets what they'd rather have right now headlines or a ring? They haven't won a SB since Joe Namath beat the Baltimore Colts in 1969, a drought of 43 years. So much for your inaugural press conference in NY Rex Ryan....

"I didn't come here to kiss Bill Belichick's rings." Bill has 5 rings Rex. 2 as DC of the Giants & 3 as HC of the Patriots to your 1 ring as DC for the Baltimore Ravens. Who's laughing now Rex? Bill that's who. haha

Very true. Lots of posters from those days aren't around anymore... Krafty Bob, Dynasty, PF09, etc-etc. Some banned, some just moved on, hahaha....

No,PF09 is here..you just replied to him:)

I think the rivalry still exists abiet burning cinders.

There are two kinds of rivalries---team and fan.

Team not so much as the players are gone.

Fanbase I would say yes. It was never just Brady and Manning. It goes back to the mugging and BB of course. hate hate hate:)

It's lightened up for sure but I say the embers are there and it wouldn't take much to stoke it up again.

What happens if NE knocks Indy out of the playoffs......oooo

Patriots stomp us will=All the talking heads jumping off the bandwagon and claim they were right in the beginning

Classic. Just when I thought i've read the most absurd thing ever on these forums.

Just so I get this straight.... Let me see if I understand this.

A bunch of gullibles fall for a soft 6-3 and proclaim us "good", but its not their fault when reality comes crashing the party?

Colts pats goes back to the early 70s...but you hoosier fans wouldn't know about any of that.

Fanbase I would say yes. It was never just Brady and Manning. It goes back to the mugging and BB of course. hate hate hate:)

It's lightened up for sure but I say the embers are there and it wouldn't take much to stoke it up again.

See that, I learned something new today!

Hey guys! LOL...

What's that saying about playin' with fire and you get what again JJ? I forget...Ouch! :D ;) lmao Just Kidding!!!

Manning vs Brady was a decade long debate and war on the field... It was maybe the most popular NFL rivalry EVER.

It's over.

I think you meant the Indy-Manning vs Brady-Patriots rivalry is over. The rivalry is still alive, it's just that it has passed on to the Broncos now. Their is a Broncos/Pats rivalry, it just wasn't that big of a deal though. Adding Manning has magnified it though and in some ways, the Broncos fans are picking up where the Colts fans have left off with the Manning vs Brady debate/rivalry. They faced each other this year, and have a good chance of facing each other again in the playoffs. With both teams likely to win their division, it looks like they're set to face each other again next year. Same old story, just a new uniform for Peyton though.

I will miss the Colts/Pats rivalry. They've played some of the best games the past 8 years. It can be ignited if Luck continues to play well and keep this team in playoff contention year after year. Otherwise, it will die if these two aren't facing each other every year like the Manning led Colts against the Brady led Patriots.

I'll put it like this, the Bills gave the Patriots a run for the money and the Patriots OWN the Bills for over a decade! Even the Jets, who are a skeleton crew of no names right now, gave the Jets a run for the money too in overtime until Rex Ryan got soft and decided to play not to lose. I see the Patriots are already in decline because I judge them by their division in which they OWN!

The division teams they use to push around seem to give them a lot of trouble this year which tells me the Patriots are weak right now. They never started a season in a hole before in something like a decade! The Colts CAN pull off an upset if they

1) PRESSURE BRADY! You don't have to sack him on every down, but make the pocket uncomfortable and stay in his face!

2) DON'T FALL BEHIND! Keep the game close, don't let the Pats slip away, they have a history of running up the score on teams!

3) RUN THE BALL! Their defense sucks! Ask the NY GIANTS!

Me vs another glass of wine. I hate that rivalry. The wine always wins, dangit. If fact, I think I need to go to the basement and get

another...........

The real question WH: Do you see this rivalry from the perspective that the glass is half full or half empty my friend? Go down to the basement, talk it over, and get back to me on that 1 okay. Only teasing of course. :D

The real question WH: Do you see this rivalry from the perspective that the glass is half full or half empty my friend? Go down to the basement, talk it over, and get back to me on that 1 okay. Only teasing of course. :D

I actually did just go down to the basement and brought up a 10 year aged bottle of Presidential Tawny Port. Since I am pouring small amounts, the glass is definately half empty. The flavour and 20% by volume is "glass totally full".

I actually did just go down to the basement and brought up a 10 year aged bottle of Presidential Tawny Port. Since I am pouring small amounts, the glass is definately half empty. The flavour and 20% by volume is "glass totally full".

Thanks WH! I really appreciate your clever and "spirited" response there. No need to send me "a message in a bottle" here. haha

I don't think it's a stretch to say this could be a statement game for us. Prove we can hang with the big boys

If we pull the upset....... I don't know what I'd do

I disagree. If we lose this game I don't think it will serve as an indictment against the team because we have proven we can win big games (GB was a statement if there ever was)... Nor will it be the end of the world. A win will certainly help, and I think we can pull it off. The bottom line is that this will be exciting to watch.

The whole rivalry would be much more interesting if some of the Pats fans were not such regulars around here. It seems like most of the fun has been taken out of the discussion because it has been discussed ad nauseum.

Classic. Just when I thought i've read the most absurd thing ever on these forums.

Just so I get this straight.... Let me see if I understand this.

A bunch of gullibles fall for a soft 6-3 and proclaim us "good", but its not their fault when reality comes crashing the party?

Colts pats goes back to the early 70s...but you hoosier fans wouldn't know about any of that.

I was just talking about how the media says before the season that the colts would be horrible again this season. Now that they have won a few games they jumped on the band wagon and believe they are a good team once again. But if they lose to the Pats by a big margin then they will say that the record was a product of a weak schedule and are not a good team. Sports reporters do stuff like this every year with a lot of teams. And I do understand the Indy colts and Bmore Colts since I was bron in delaware and my grandpa was a colts fan. It all I heard about growing up.

Very true. Lots of posters from those days aren't around anymore... Krafty Bob, Dynasty, PF09, etc-etc. Some banned, some just moved on, hahaha....

I remember DaPatsTroll, and John_Locke. Honestly I thought some of the Pats fans were among the better posters, of course not as good as Jules and some of the other Colts fans... :thmup:

I was just talking about how the media says before the season that the colts would be horrible again this season. Now that they have won a few games they jumped on the band wagon and believe they are a good team once again. But if they lose to the Pats by a big margin then they will say that the record was a product of a weak schedule and are not a good team. Sports reporters do stuff like this every year with a lot of teams. And I do understand the Indy colts and Bmore Colts since I was bron in delaware and my grandpa was a colts fan. It all I heard about growing up.

I agree. They sure did jump on quick.