Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts vs Patriots* Rivalry Gets Magnified If...

HarassedOffTheSite

If IFs and BUTs....you can complete the sentence. :)

When making predictions, you can count the number of "ifs" you need for each team to win. The team with the lesser number is your winner.

IF Davis and Mathis play... IF Butler can play another decent game...IF any of our LBs can hang with their TEs...IF we can get to Brady... Then I'm pretty sure we can beat them. IF anyone asks...

...the Colts win (and the Nation pauses) or the Patriots* stomp us something ugly (thereby ticking off Colts fans even more).

The rivalry is over. It's not Brady-Colts or Brady-Luck, it's Brady-Manning, and NE played that game already this year. This is a good game between a division leader and a team that's right in the thick of a playoff hunt, but it's not a rivalry anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the Colts be relevant again, and they're playing some truly inspired ball for their coach. You'd have to be a truly cold-hearted SOB to not like what Indy is doing for "Chuckstrong."

But this ain't what it used to be. Those days are gone.

The rivalry is over. It's not Brady-Colts or Brady-Luck, it's Brady-Manning, and NE played that game already this year. This is a good game between a division leader and a team that's right in the thick of a playoff hunt, but it's not a rivalry anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the Colts be relevant again, and they're playing some truly inspired ball for their coach. You'd have to be a truly cold-hearted SOB to not like what Indy is doing for "Chuckstrong."

Do Celtics fans still hate the Lakers? I could have sworn I've heard the "Beat LA" chant several times in recent memory. Rivalries exist in part because of the fan bases. I can tell you that Colts fans everywhere will still circle the Patriot game on their schedules for years to come because of what that rivalry meant to them and also the league.

If the Colts win the rivalry might be resurrected.

But it won't be sustained... Brady's only got a handful of years left, while Luck is just getting started. The rivalry was always about having the two best QBs in the game. It always had the "feel" of Russell-Chamberlain, Ali-Frazier, Bird-Magic... guys in their primes going up against each other. Know what I mean?

Do Celtics fans still hate the Lakers? I could have sworn I've heard the "Beat LA" chant several times in recent memory. Rivalries exist in part because of the fan bases. I can tell you that Colts fans everywhere will still circle the Patriot game on their schedules for years to come because of what that rivalry meant to them and also the league.

Yes, sure, but those two teams met in the finals twice in recent years.

I think the problem here is that Indy fans still dislike NE fans but NE fans are a little indifferent toward you guys now. I haven't had "hard feelings" about the Colts in a long time anyway, just a grudging respect, lol...

Sorry that GoPats position on rivalries so misses the point.

The depth of the disdain towards the Pats has Much More to do with our COLTS losing Big games to the Belichick Pats than to the Media HYPED QB`s dueling.

Personally, I will enjoy a Colts Win over the Pats more than Most Other wins, long after Brady & Beli are gone.

But it won't be sustained... Brady's only got a handful of years left, while Luck is just getting started. The rivalry was always about having the two best QBs in the game. It always had the "feel" of Russell-Chamberlain, Ali-Frazier, Bird-Magic... guys in their primes going up against each other. Know what I mean?

Your probably right but a Colts loss will stomp out the embers of what used to be a fire.

But we don't.

Believe me, Patriot fans care about Jets' games, and now Bronco games, along with Dolphin games, etc., well before they even care about Indy games.

There is no rivalry anymore. Pretty much dead.

you all do realize the patriots have the 29th ranked pass defense in the NFL right??? avg 285 yards given up a game??? Fitzpatrick for Buffalo who is just an avg QB in both games this year against new england has tallied 687 yards 6 TD's and 5 INT's against new england this year right???

Luck - 375 yards 3 TD's 1 INT

i actually predict this to be a high scoring game.

I think the problem here is that Indy fans still dislike NE fans but NE fans are a little indifferent toward you guys now. I haven't had "hard feelings" about the Colts in a long time anyway, just a grudging respect, lol...

Bingo! My friend GoPats nailed it! By the time Luck is feeling comfortable and at ease in Pagano's schemes, playbook, and weapons overall Brady will be done and hanging up his cleats. Yes, it was primarily a Manning vs Brady rivalry. Right again. :thmup:

Now, could Luck develop a rivalry with the next Pats QB heir in waiting Ryan Mallett as my other friend VL stated? Absolutely! This is why I like GOPats and VL. They have fresh eyes and see the Colts/Pats rivalry exactly right. Playing the Pats always has value though just on an intellectual challenge level alone IMO. The very definition of patience and precision in my book.

One last thing: Give us your best shot NE please no Pagano cancer sympathy here; I wanna see exactly where my Colts are talent wise, endurance wise, and execution wise.

No shortcuts NE. Run up the TD score if you want to. It's the defenses responsibility to stop you. I wanna see where we are at mentally and physically too. How tough are we right now? How far do we have to go to return to division title form? Playoffs form? and SB contender form?

How far is the road back for the Blue Horseshoe? Make us earn everything we get Foxboro. Thank you New England.

Sorry that GoPats position on rivalries so misses the point.

The depth of the disdain towards the Pats has Much More to do with our COLTS losing Big games to the Belichick Pats than to the Media HYPED QB`s dueling.

Personally, I will enjoy a Colts Win over the Pats more than Most Other wins, long after Brady & Beli are gone.

Well, that's kind of my point, actually. I have virtually no ill feelings toward Indy anymore. And I think, with a rivalry, that the vitriol needs to be mutual.

Overall I think rivalries start off that way... with a good degree of animosity that eventually evolves into a mutual respect. I'm kind of still hung up on the mutual respect phase when it comes to the Colts. I don't dislike your team and what's happened this season has only solidified my respect for the organization. It's been a long time since that 2006 AFCCG, and there have been more painful losses to endure since then!

you all do realize the patriots have the 29th ranked pass defense in the NFL right??? avg 285 yards given up a game??? Fitzpatrick for Buffalo who is just an avg QB in both games this year against new england has tallied 687 yards 6 TD's and 5 INT's against new england this year right???

Luck - 375 yards 3 TD's 1 INT

i actually predict this to be a high scoring game.

Neither pass defense has anything to write home about. New England has allowed their collection of opponents to play on par with Brady and the Colts defense have allowed their collection of opponents to play at a higher level than Luck, from an efficiency point of view.

One other thing you guys have going for you is that the Patriots only have a half season's worth of game film on Luck.

The more I think about this game, the more I see the Colts pulling off an upset somehow. And I'm not trying to do some kind of crazy reverse-jinks thing here. I was actually talking to my buddy at lunch about it, and we both are thinking this one could reasonably go either way.

But we don't.

Believe me, Patriot fans care about Jets' games, and now Bronco games, along with Dolphin games, etc., well before they even care about Indy games.

There is no rivalry anymore. Pretty much dead.

Well, that's kind of my point, actually. I have virtually no ill feelings toward Indy anymore. And I think, with a rivalry, that the vitriol needs to be mutual.

Overall I think rivalries start off that way... with a good degree of animosity that eventually evolves into a mutual respect. I'm kind of still hung up on the mutual respect phase when it comes to the Colts. I don't dislike your team and what's happened this season has only solidified my respect for the organization. It's been a long time since that 2006 AFCCG, and there have been more painful losses to endure since then!

Yes, mutual hatred that evolves into respect because both teams are evenly matched. That is what a rivalry requires ultimately...2 evenly matched teams and the Colts are nowhere near that yet. Can we shock the world by beating the Patriots? Doubtful, but it is possible. Rivalries evolve through good to great consistency of QB play, pass rush ability, tackling prowess, and special teams execution over a sustained period of time. We just aren't there yet that's all. Yes, we will play a competitive game, but at the end of the day this is our buzz saw game. I use it as my benchmark game to see how far we have to go to return to prominence again.

Is the Colts/Pats game a rivalry right now? Nope, not even close IMO.

The other thing...In order to be a true rivalry of significance, both sides must be competing for an equal prize of merit like an AFC Championship Game. If we beat the Pats, are we going to the SB? Nope. Does beating NE next week knock them out of the Playoffs or derail their own SB aspirations? Nope. My point is both the odds and the prize you are fighting for must be even. They are not right now at this very moment.

This will be a great game and hopefully we pull it off but if we don't, I won't be shocked. BB and TB are smart veterans and they should be able to devise and execute a good enough game plan to beat a very solid rookie qb that is surrounded by a lot of young players with a very bad OL.

Now to expect Luck to have a 3 td game, has he thrown 3 in any game this year yet? I don't see it against a BB tactician. We will be better served if our running game has 150 yards than Luck having a 375 yard game IMO.

As for the rivalry, I have been disgusted and do not like the pats for the unsportsmanlike play BB preaches. The game where the Colts were driving in a hurry up style and the players kept faking injuries and laying down to get a rest, that was the thing that made me super dislike the pats. One play in particular where the lb went to the ground looking for a bailout at the goaline stand sealed it for my dislike. Plus Boston fans are mostly arrogant jerks, not all but was a large portion. I still dislike the pats.

Regardless of all the talk...the rivalry takes a break next season unless we finish identically with the Pats in our respective divisions..which isn't likely unless we somehow can win the South. It has been a great matchup over the years. 2003, 2004, 2005 when the Colts broke through and pasted the Pats, 2006 reg. season and AFCC, 2007 "Game of the Century" (man I wish we could have won that one, we had it in the bag! Plus that game cost us 7 starters and really derailed our season, IMO), and 2009 4th and 2...That was the last great one, though the comeback in 2010 was cool since we were playing with a JV, 4th string skill-group on offense.

...the Colts win (and the Nation pauses) or the Patriots* stomp us something ugly (thereby ticking off Colts fans even more).

I clicked Like instead of quote...

This rivalry will NEVER be the same.... Manning is gone, Dungy is gone... Brady and BB will soon be gone.

Manning vs Brady was a decade long debate and war on the field... It was maybe the most popular NFL rivalry EVER.

It's over.