Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The defense needs to step up!

superrep1967

Were past the halfway point and I got a few observations. The defense hasn't really been very good at all. Because of the lack of getting turnovers. The defense has been terrible against the pass. The run defense actually has been very good. I would like to see Darius Butler out there instead of Powers because Powers is having a bad year overall. At least Butler got some turnovers but granted against Jacksonville but none the less. I like everyone else am worried about the New England game because we are so bad against the pass. I think we can score some points against the Pats but can we score enough? I think we can if Mathis plays and we get some pressure on Brady. I do believe that's our best shot. What does everyone else think? By the way I think our offense is really playing well overall.

Regardless if Mathis is playing or not I think we can get pressure with Hughes and Freeney and if Mathis does play he will be coming off of a back injury which means I bet he wouldn't be 100 percent, Butler deserves another shot as our #2 Corner, Butler is by far the more physical of the 2 (Powers or Butler) and gets a much better jump on a ball. Thats not to say our answer is Butler because he has only played one game but he has made a serious case for #2, I dont believe it to be luck that he has almost half as many Pass Breakups in 1 game as Powers does in 8 and 1 more Pick in 1 game then Powers does all year. I really believe Powers is best in a Cover 2 thats it. We have to force turnovers while having some form of balanced offensive attack. We have to get pressure up the middle. we also have to keep Brady off the field

I think our run has been very good. It's the pass that we've struggled with.

its not so much as our defense having to step up as it is our offense needing to put points on the board EVERY possession especially when we force 3 and outs. we dont do that we wont stand a chance. as i said in another post, our offense has to be almost if not perfect with their possessions and they need to manage the clock. we got to keep running the ball, taking time off the clock, pick up first downs, dont get put in 3rd and long situations alot. basically keep brady off the field. if we can limit his possessions we should win.

basically we need to play the manning offense against brady and the patriots.

im eager to see what manusky does to stop Gronk.... i dont hink any of our LB can cover him...maybe freeman? bethea?

Has to be Bethea. Because that is how Dick LeBeau beat the Pats last year, playing Polamalu on Gronk one-on-one and Ike Taylor on Wes Welker. The others, he played zone and once he accounted for Welker and Gronk for most of the time, he could let his pass rush get to Brady and minimize the scoring.

They've held teams to 20 points or less in 5 out of the 9 weeks and as someone else pointed out they've been outstanding in the 2nd half in limiting teams to virtually nothing.

To be honest its the offense that needs to step up and start finishing drives.

We do need to improve our RZ TD %.

You know, I'm one of the chief nitpickers around here. There's a ton that our defense could be doing better, and I hope they do. I've expressed that a hundred times already.

But opponents have averaged 14 points a game against us over the past four games. That's elite. The Niners are giving up 14.1 ppg this season. The Steelers gave up 14.2 last season. Our opposition hasn't been elite, that's for sure. But it's to the positive that our defense is limiting points against below average teams.

Has to be Bethea. Because that is how Dick LeBeau beat the Pats last year, playing Polamalu on Gronk one-on-one and Ike Taylor on Wes Welker. The others, he played zone and once he accounted for Welker and Gronk for most of the time, he could let his pass rush get to Brady and minimize the scoring.

Im guessing some double coverage also.

Not sure about Welker, I mean he is shifty i dont think anyone can cover him for long because of the amount of option routes he runs... ill be more inclined towards press zone coverage on him, dont give him a free release disrput the timing.

but maybe Vontae can take him out if we go press man like you said...it will be fun

Im guessing some double coverage also.

Not sure about Welker, I mean he is shifty i dont think anyone can cover him for long because of the amount of option routes he runs... ill be more inclined towards press zone coverage on him, dont give him a free release disrput the timing.

but maybe Vontae can take him out if we go press man like you said...it will be fun

I think you forget Welker. Give him 30 receptions if you want, as long as they're all underneath receptions and you tackle well. You just can't let the Patriots outside receivers and tight ends get big plays and put them in scoring position every possession. You also have to contain their suddenly potent rushing attack.

I think you forget Welker. Give him 30 receptions if you want, as long as they're all underneath receptions and you tackle well. You just can't let the Patriots outside receivers and tight ends get big plays and put them in scoring position every possession. You also have to contain their suddenly potent rushing attack.

i mean sure but eventually on third down you need to take welker away otherwise the whole dink and dunking will mean lots of time on the field

i mean sure but eventually on third down you need to take welker away otherwise the whole dink and dunking will mean lots of time on the field

To me, that's asking for a headache. Welker has over 600 receptions over the last five and a half seasons; I believe that's tops in the NFL over that stretch, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the most productive stretch in league history. Out of that ridiculous stretch of over 600 receptions, 57% of them have been good for first downs.

The person who can figure out how to "take Welker away" deserves a Nobel.

And the thing about it is that, even if you do neutralize him, they have really freaking good tight ends, very fast outside receivers, and one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

Sometimes you have to pick your poison, and I'd rather take a heavy dose of Welker all day than give up big plays to the other receivers. Thing is, Welker will eventually run out of real estate, especially in the red zone. But that's where the tight ends do the most damage. I'd rather let Welker go, keep the tight ends out of rhythm, and hope you can force their offense to kick field goals in the red zone. Sounds a lot like "bend but don't break," but it's what you have to hope for when you're playing a top notch offense. And it's a lot better than the "bend and then break" that we played last season.

I'd rather let Welker go, keep the tight ends out of rhythm, and hope you can force their offense to kick field goals in the red zone. Sounds a lot like "bend but don't break," but it's what you have to hope for when you're playing a top notch offense. And it's a lot better than the "bend and then break" that we played last season.

Welker between the 20s, TEs in the red zone, that has been the Patriots mantra for a while!!!

There is not enough recovery time and ground for a reacting safety or LB vs those TEs in the red zone, if you do let them get there, it will be counter productive, IMO. If you apply pressure and take the first quick read of Welker away on 3rd downs, given the fact that a play up the field will take slightly longer, you have a greater chance of your pass rush getting to and stopping Brady and that offense, thus limiting their production, IMO.

So, in essence, I do not agree with the "give Welker his catches" philosophy, not when they use that to keep chains moving for years now. Gronk does not kill you with short dump passes, he either kills you with his run blocking or a little more up field. Welker kills you underneath more. Take the underneath ones away as much as possible and stop the run. Yes, Brady might connect on one long one every now and then but we might get him more times than not if he has to rely on going upfield more due to our pass rush.

I dont think it is possible to stop Welker, it is possible to minimize Welker. Minimizing Welker and the run is the key to winning this game.

Tom Brady can be rushed ... and rattled..

Indy has got to stop NE from running the ball. That is what they WANT to do.

Stop them from cramming it down our throat... Then Indy has a great chance of putting some pressure on Tommy.

I find it interesting that Chapman is active this week... .. just in time.

Welker between the 20s, TEs in the red zone, that has been the Patriots mantra for a while!!!

There is not enough recovery time and ground for a reacting safety or LB vs those TEs in the red zone, if you do let them get there, it will be counter productive, IMO. If you apply pressure and take the first quick read of Welker away on 3rd downs, given the fact that a play up the field will take slightly longer, you have a greater chance of your pass rush getting to and stopping Brady and that offense, thus limiting their production, IMO.

So, in essence, I do not agree with the "give Welker his catches" philosophy, not when they use that to keep chains moving for years now. Gronk does not kill you with short dump passes, he either kills you with his run blocking or a little more up field. Welker kills you underneath more. Take the underneath ones away as much as possible and stop the run. Yes, Brady might connect on one long one every now and then but we might get him more times than not if he has to rely on going upfield more due to our pass rush.

I dont think it is possible to stop Welker, it is possible to minimize Welker. Minimizing Welker and the run is the key to winning this game.

They do that because it works. Welker is super effective between the 20s, but not so much inside the 20s. That's because he does his damage underneath, weaving through zone coverage or beating defensive backs quickly. But in the red zone, there is no "underneath." It's all underneath down there. So Welker is automatically limited.

But those big tight ends aren't, because that's what they're good at, is working in limited space and beating smaller defenders. It might be as useless trying to limit them in the red zone as it is trying to stop Welker outside the red zone. But I think if you can keep them off balance and out of rhythm for the majority of the game, you have a better shot at forcing a mistake later on.

Either way, the Patriots are a super dangerous and super potent offense, and I don't think we can stop Welker or their tight ends. I hope we can get pressure on Brady, and maybe force a turnover or two, and maybe get some big plays on offense. But Brady and his receivers (and their run game, which we haven't really had to worry about since 2004) will be productive, just like they are every week.

To me, that's asking for a headache. Welker has over 600 receptions over the last five and a half seasons; I believe that's tops in the NFL over that stretch, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the most productive stretch in league history. Out of that ridiculous stretch of over 600 receptions, 57% of them have been good for first downs.

The person who can figure out how to "take Welker away" deserves a Nobel.

And the thing about it is that, even if you do neutralize him, they have really freaking good tight ends, very fast outside receivers, and one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

Sometimes you have to pick your poison, and I'd rather take a heavy dose of Welker all day than give up big plays to the other receivers. Thing is, Welker will eventually run out of real estate, especially in the red zone. But that's where the tight ends do the most damage. I'd rather let Welker go, keep the tight ends out of rhythm, and hope you can force their offense to kick field goals in the red zone. Sounds a lot like "bend but don't break," but it's what you have to hope for when you're playing a top notch offense. And it's a lot better than the "bend and then break" that we played last season.

isnt like the only real deep threat lloyd?

For whatever it's worth, I heard this morning that New England is #1 in the NFL in points, and #1 in total offense (yards)....

So, if our defense was ever going to rise up and play over their heads, well, this is the week!!

For whatever it's worth, I heard this morning that New England is #1 in the NFL in points, and #1 in total offense (yards)....

So, if our defense was ever going to rise up and play over their heads, well, this is the week!!

Just sayin.....

That's the reason for the tread the defense needs to step up

Just sayin.....