Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we went RG3 instead of Luck would we still be 6-3?

Tony Sullivan

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um because we see what luck has done and what he may become? Real Rosie. Or the ones wearing the rosé colored classes because we support what irsay and company has done in the off season. So I guess we are either rg lovers, peytonites or have rose colored glasses cause we believe in our team and luck.

Lol what..? That's one heck of a generalization you made out of my comment.

Where did I say I didn't like Luck? Or didn't agree with Irsay's decision. I'm completely happy with both, but I'm not some Pro-Colts fan whose completely Anti-everythingNonColts.

Based off the TITLE of the thread I gave my opinion, but I guess because I feel like we wouldn't be any worse with the "other" qb, god forbid I say his name, I shall be shunned. Ha..

Lol what..? That's one heck of a generalization you made out of my comment.

Where did I say I didn't like Luck? Or didn't agree with Irsay's decision. I'm completely happy with both, but I'm not some Pro-Colts fan whose completely Anti-everythingNonColts.

Based off the TITLE of the thread I gave my opinion, but I guess because I feel like we wouldn't be any worse with the "other" qb, god forbid I say his name, I shall be shunned. Ha..

Maybe I miss understood you. Thought you were one of the many rg lovers. My best bet is just to stay away from all the stupid rg3 and we should of kept manning topics ;)

Find it rather confusing and at times humorous how and why a Texan fan would post 16-times on a "Colts Forum" thread. Since the Texan's are having such great success this season, why in the world are you wasting your time over on an AFC's opponent's forum?

maybe it has something to do with the fact that some of us "out of towners" enjoying discussing topics regarding football, our rivals, etc., that we can not entertain locally among our friends in person or on our own teams boards . . . or just simply want to get both sides of the spectrum . . .not many colts fans up my way, so need to come here to chat . . .

also topics like "RGIII v. Luck", "is SF for real again this year", "what up with the NFC West", "CPOY", "Is X divisions the best in he NFL", and so on might be something we want to talk about but can't find elsewhere except on the boards of the teams related to the topic . ..

as for the RGIII v. Luck . . .I think Luck fits in better with the colts system and is the one who I would of drafted as a colt . . . but seeing that the colts have a stronger franchise that Washington (most regular season wins in the 2000s) I would venture to say that Luck has a stonger supporting case, and I am not so sure if RGII would not have at least 4 wins with the colts and maybe 5 or 6 . . .

You don't THROW for 4700 yards in a read-option offense. That offense was a completely spread style offense.

I'm a Colts fan by the way. I just don't own a pair of those fancy rose colored glasses that a lot of people seem to wear around here.

Well youre wrong and right. Baylor's offense was a spread offense but theyre running game was heavily based off zone read and Baylor was a pretty good running team (averaged over 235 a game). Its why Washington has used quite a bit of it.

Arians' offense is really nothing like Baylors offense either. Arians' offense is pro style which revolves around the QB primarily taking snaps under center and running out of single back and I formation sets. Baylor's offense was ran out of almost entirely 3 WR, 4 WR or 5 WR shotgun sets and involved heavy use of shotgun running plays (zone reads, etc..).

Almost every modern NFL offense uses quite a bit of 4 WR shotgun sets but most of them dont utilize it much for the running game outside of the occasional draw play and you barely see much play action passing from it because of that. 95% of the time in the NFL, when a team is in shotgun with 4 WRs...its a pass. Thats not the case at all in college..including Baylor. Watch Baylor this year. They run the same offense with Nick Florence that they ran with Robert Griffin.

I would put steelers, texans, pats and broncos against any NFC team, so I think the demise of the AFC is a bit premature. Also, the NFC east is almost weak. Cowboys and eagles were embarrassing today and giants and redskins have been anemic for weeks. So let's quit bragging on them for a change. Every guru says luck has the harder task than rg3 so I don't get how you guys have turned it around. Luck has been so good, that he has made our situation look better than griffins. Polian said we have 5-6 guys on our defense who are clearly not suited for our defense...he is right. Our whole team is piecemeal except for luck, Wayne and Arians.

maybe it has something to do with the fact that some of us "out of towners" enjoying discussing topics regarding football, our rivals, etc., that we can not entertain locally among our friends in person or on our own teams boards . . . or just simply want to get both sides of the spectrum . . .not many colts fans up my way, so need to come here to chat . . .

also topics like "RGIII v. Luck", "is SF for real again this year", "what up with the NFC West", "CPOY", "Is X divisions the best in he NFL", and so on might be something we want to talk about but can't find elsewhere except on the boards of the teams related to the topic . ..

as for the RGIII v. Luck . . .I think Luck fits in better with the colts system and is the one who I would of drafted as a colt . . . but seeing that the colts have a stronger franchise that Washington (most regular season wins in the 2000s) I would venture to say that Luck has a stonger supporting case, and I am not so sure if RGII would not have at least 4 wins with the colts and maybe 5 or 6 . . .

:thmup: Out of likes, good post sir.

95 percent of the people who were responsible for that regular season success are no longer here. Over half the roster is either rookies or first year Colts. So you can't say Luck has a better supporting cast because of success that was achieved during the Manning era with completely different players, coaches, and front office people.

95 percent of the people who were responsible for that regular season success are no longer here. Over half the roster is either rookies or first year Colts. So you can't say Luck has a better supporting cast because of success that was achieved during the Manning era with completely different players, coaches, and front office people.

There are still some key players, freeney, mathis, wayne, bethea, AV (who hit a game winning FG while Steve G. for the pats missed one on the same day), most of the positional coaches are still there . . . yes there has been a turnover . . . however one could guess that the turnover to the good in Washington, that is the team getting good players outside of RGIII, is not at good in Washington . .

I think Luck is great, but does have a few key players, Wayne and AV, that has helped the team win games . . . and both of those guys helped in the last decade . . . we'll get a better idea as the year goes along. . .also I think Washington has had a tougher schedule too . . .

Vice versely, if the Redskins had Luck would they only be 3-6?

Just something I thought of when my friends were talking about who is better.

Personally I don't think so. Not even to knock RG3 because he's been tremendous as well, but when you're watching Luck you're truly seeing greatness develop week in week out.

Nope cause RG3 has more talent around him, Well thats what the experts say anyways.

It was a matter of time before the gushing of Luck poured over to Luck vs Peyton and Luck vs RG3 threads. :)

Luck was asked if he watches RG3 and he said "yes, as a fan of football, I do. But I cant get caught up in what one person does and try to base my performance on that and it would be a disservice to my team." Great answer, IMO, on NFL Network!!!

If Luck lost both Freeney and Mathis for the season like they lost Orakpo and Carriker, lost Wayne to injury like they lost Garcon who was projected to be their No.1 WR for a while, we will not be 6-3, hands down!!! Let Luck play in the NFC East, that will sure complicate things. Flip side, if RG3 had Wayne, Freeney and Mathis for the most part in the AFC South playing for us, we MAY be 6-3 as well.

So, this discussion is comparing apples to oranges, IMO!!!

With the NFC being more strong and their divisions being stronger, Cam Newton and RG3 will have more struggles for wins than Luck, I am sure we have had this discussion before. Plus, stability from top to bottom is there with a solid organization like the Colts. When Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers were drafted, they went into great situations with great organizations from top to bottom, that played a big part in their success. Luck has been drafted into a better situation than RG3, hands down, IMO!!! So, for the same talent, there will be more results to show with Luck. Not that Luck does not have to do anything with it but I do believe his situation in the AFC and AFC South will help his cause more with all other things considered equal.

Look at Alex Smith, how long it took for his potential to come out due to circumstances beyond his control. The same thing will happen to Blaine Gabbert with a new owner and possible a new GM next year, and possibly a new coach too. Similar thing with Philip Rivers, though coaching has been a big part but lack of retention of talent by A.J.Smith is a big factor too. No wonder Eli refused to go to the Chargers.

Organizations and circumstances do matter, if you want to think about it objectively!!! :)

Did you really just compare Garcon to Wayne? :facepalm:

And don't let these ' rabid homers' chase you away......the majority of postes on here want the fans of other teams to post on here REGULARLY (rather than the game week trolls we get). Sure it can get a bit chippy at times, but I've never been poked in the eye hard with a bolded italic'd apostrophe....

Hard to say. Shannahan designed the playbook with a lot of plays from baylor to fit RG3 so it wasnt as big a learning curve this season for him. Arians had Luck learn the playbook and not cater to him at all. So I guess it would depend if RG3 could handle this offense early in his career. He seems like a very smart hard working guy though.

There are still some key players, freeney, mathis, wayne, bethea, AV (who hit a game winning FG while Steve G. for the pats missed one on the same day), most of the positional coaches are still there . . .

Nope. Most of the positional coaches are different as well. Thinking off the top of my head, the only guys on the entire staff that i remember staying here is Clyde Christensen and David Walker.

And sure, Luck has a couple good players, but in no way is he surrounded with a great team. It is a team that has overachieved and is the surprise of the NFL and a team full of rookies and castoffs that Luck has made better.

And don't let these ' rabid homers' chase you away......the majority of postes on here want the fans of other teams to post on here REGULARLY (rather than the game week trolls we get). Sure it can get a bit chippy at times, but I've never been poked in the eye hard with a bolded italic'd apostrophe....

thanks mate . . . :highfive2:

yes I am sure it can be different to correspond with posters that just show up out of the internet clouds every 3 months to take a jab at the natives or the rustle up the natives . . . actually I like doing that even tho i post he more than once in three months :) , . . . but I can understand why some posters want to fight back . . . but as you indicated most of the posting in this thread is not from those passing in the night posters . . .

Nope. Most of the positional coaches are different as well. Thinking off the top of my head, the only guys on the entire staff that i remember staying here is Clyde Christensen and David Walker.

And sure, Luck has a couple good players, but in no way is he surrounded with a great team. It is a team that has overachieved and is the surprise of the NFL and a team full of rookies and castoffs that Luck has made better.

I dont think anyone said Luck is surrounded by a great team. When Grigson drafted a lot of offensive players with the cupboard being bare, he did so to surround Luck with players he will learn the new system with, and yes Luck's leadership has this team rolling. The question is, would RG3 have fared similarly.

I am just looking at some numbers here, so bear with me:

Redskins - 27.6 pts per game allowed, Colts - 22.3 pts per game allowed

Redskins - 25.1 pts per game scored, Colts - 20.7 pts per game scored

Turnovers - Redskins +7 while the Colts are -9

To me, the above numbers suggest the Colts are less reliant on Luck than the Redskins are on RG3.

Remember Peyton's rookie year, Colts scored 19.4 pts per game and gave up 27.8 pts per game. More come from behind battles and shootouts, means more INTs and/or losses.

I firmly believe that the Colts are overachieving on defense than expected and that aspect is clearly overlooked. I even started a thread to give Greg Manusky his due. Yes, the QB gets all the credit and glory but the numbers above suggest RG3 is doing enough on the offensive side and taking care of the ball, but his defense is pretty much doing what the Colts D did during Peyton's rookie year, putting him in shootout situations more often.

Our D, on the other hand, as maligned as it might be, has overachieved and that is as much a factor in the Colts' record as Luck is. So, given how our D has played over 9 games, and based on the numbers above, yes, I do believe RG3 would have won at least 5 games, if not 6 with the Colts' schedule and support Luck has received so far. This is regardless of how the support was projected to be when the season started because the numbers clearly paint a different story with Luck's team support after 9 games.

we'll just have to wait and see how the colts do this year and even tho you are two games behind Hou, you have your fate in your hands with two games to play against hou . . . :thmsup:

I had the colts at a 6 -10 win team to be honest going into this year . . .

we'll see how it ends up . . . as for great QB, I always look at the great/top 5 QBs as adding 1 to 3 wins to a team over 16 games . . . so if the colts are say a 4-6 win teams with a middle of road QB, they should be a 5-10 team win with a great QB . . . and as Luck is looking as good as promised the 5-10 wins is right about where I would place them . . .

and getting back to the roster, for me if you have great players are some key positions it can help, QB, RB, WR,an DE, SS, Kicker then you can do well as you have players that can make an impact . . . if a RG does block as perfect as a lesser RG, will have a lesser impact than a WR who can and can not catch a ball . . . well putting it another way, there is, imo, less room for error at the skilled positions than at the not skiled positions and the colts have some solid players at the skilled positions. . .

either tho, Luck is having a great year . . .

I dont think anyone said Luck is surrounded by a great team. When Grigson drafted a lot of offensive players with the cupboard being bare, he did so to surround Luck with players he will learn the new system with, and yes Luck's leadership has this team rolling. The question is, would RG3 have fared similarly.

To me, the above numbers suggest the Colts are less reliant on Luck than the Redskins are on RG3.

Our D, on the other hand, as maligned as it might be, has overachieved and that is as much a factor in the Colts' record as Luck is. So, given how our D has played over 9 games, and based on the numbers above, yes, I do believe RG3 would have won at least 5 games, if not 6 with the Colts' schedule and support Luck has received so far, regardless of how the support was projected to be when the season started.

I could not edit my earlier post but wanted to add the two teams schedules for what it is worth

Redskins have played 5 teams which presently have a winning record and are a combined 43-38 record

Colts have played 3 teams with winning records and are overall at 34-49 record . . .

It must be a lot of fun to be a fan of a team that has had the "best QB of the league" discussion for the past 12 years and quite possibly are going into another 12 years of the same discussion . . . :cheer2:

Remember Peyton's rookie year, Colts scored 19.4 pts per game and gave up 27.8 pts per game. More come from behind battles and shootouts, means more INTs and/or losses.

I firmly believe that the Colts are overachieving on defense than expected and that aspect is clearly overlooked. I even started a thread to give Greg Manusky his due. Yes, the QB gets all the credit and glory but the numbers above suggest RG3 is doing enough on the offensive side and taking care of the ball, but his defense is pretty much doing what the Colts D did during Peyton's rookie year, putting him in shootout situations more often.

Our D, on the other hand, as maligned as it might be, has overachieved and that is as much a factor in the Colts' record as Luck is. So, given how our D has played over 9 games, and based on the numbers above, yes, I do believe RG3 would have won at least 5 games, if not 6 with the Colts' schedule and support Luck has received so far. This is regardless of how the support was projected to be when the season started because the numbers clearly paint a different story with Luck's team support after 9 games.

Nice research.

The defense might be overreaching a bit, but from a PPG(points per game) perspective they have made greater strides than the offense.

Through 9 games in 2011 the offense scored 14.2 ppg, the defense gave up 31.4 ppg.

Through 9 games in 2012 the offense scored 20.7 ppg, the defense gave up 22.3 ppg.

Last year the scoring differential was -17.2 ppg.

This year the scoring differential is -1.6 ppg.

Improvements to each side of the ball, better coaching and a weaker schedule(last years opponents were 44-31, this years opponents are 34-49, can do wonders for an 0-9 record. Last year 8 of the 9 opponents had a .500 or better record, this year, three of them have a .500 or better record.

Now whether RG3 would have a 6-3, record or better or worse is up to an opinion. He has been impressive and has been far more accurate than I anticipated, and that isn't only on shorter routes, and there is no reason for me to suggest that the team wouldn't be equally as good, and there is zero evidence to suggest that it would be worse.

You don't THROW for 4700 yards in a read-option offense. That offense was a completely spread style offense.

I'm a Colts fan by the way. I just don't own a pair of those fancy rose colored glasses that a lot of people seem to wear around here.

First off he threw for 4300 yards in 2011.

Second, Baylor runs a zone read offense, an offense that doesn't require the QB to read the defenses.

Third the great Greg Cosell of NFL films breaks down what Wash has been doing with Shanny....

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8550473

There I just did your homework for you.... ;)

How does -9 turnover ratio vs a +7 suggest to you that Luck is / "Colts are less reliant on Luck than the Redskins are on RG3"

One D is getting takeaways (Skins) +7 yet he is asked to do MORE, and the other team (Indy) is -9 yet their QB is not asked to do all that much? hmmmm

Wash has fallen behind the last 2 games, the rest of the season they played within one score of the opponent pretty much until the Pitt game. RG3 has failed to keep up when the run is not a factor. And HE is asked to get it done.

Have you watched the games? How many times does Luck have to bring this team back to get a little love?

Luck is simply Clutch... as clutch as it gets.

How does -9 turnover ratio vs a +7 suggest to you that Luck is / "Colts are less reliant on Luck than the Redskins are on RG3"

Luck is a part of the turnover differential being high, that is why. Our turnover ratio is also impacted by Luck turning it over, that is a factor not to be ignored. We can make excuses for Luck like "our running game sucks, so Luck has to wing it more..." but that does not mean that he has to turn it over as much while winging it more. It is commendable that Luck has short term memory and forgets his previous mistake to gather himself and put together a winning drive, it still does not erase the fact that he left points on the board with his turnovers which would reduce our deficit induced situations in games.

So, one could easily make an argument that the Colts' D is keeping it close enough despite our turnovers on offense (based on PPG allowed and scored) that Luck does not have to be a world beater most of the time to win it while the defensive numbers of Washington suggest that RG3 is having to score more to create more wins for his team.

I just do not think there is enough evidence to suggest that RG3 could not have had as many wins with the schedule and support Luck has had. The "eye test" as a Colts fan is always going to lean towards Luck and then it becomes just a matter of opinion.

One thing I am certain is Luck being asked to throw more this early in his career will bode better for him as a passer in this passing league as the years go by.

BB8792

So googled Washington running Baylors offense ....

and guess what I found...

Straight from the Washington Times.....

http://www.washingto...n-rg3s-offense/

Directly from that article:

"Dual-threat QBs who excelled in spread-type college offenses rarely get much love from the NFL. They’re allowed to continue operating a similar style of attack even less often. Either they get with the program of playing on Sundays, or content themselves with memories of glory on Saturdays."

I rest my case....

This is laughable to me.

Before the season, all the punditry -- blogs, shows, experts, fans -- had reached a consensus that the Redskins had a better team around Griffin than the Colts had around Luck, and as a result, Griffin and the Redskins would do better this season than Luck and the Colts.

I spent a significant part of this offseason defending the roster moves the Colts had made, preaching to people that our roster is not as bad as it's made out to be, too much had been made of the releases of people like Addai, Brackett, Clark, etc., the departure of Garcon to Washington, etc. My entire argument was not that the Colts were a good team with a bunch of talent and would compete for the playoffs; even I didn't expect us to be in the hunt for a wildcard spot. My argument was simply that we weren't as terrible as people were making us out to be.

Now that the Colts are 6-3 and the Redskins are 3-6, the script is being flipped. Now, the Colts have a better roster and Luck has a stronger supporting cast. This is double-talk at it's finest.

Too many fall captive to the moment. Our roster is slightly better now than it was in August, only because we added a couple of players and our youngsters have grown up a bit. The Redskins roster is probably slightly worse, mostly because of injuries. You don't go from "worse supporting cast" to "better supporting cast" just because one team is doing better than the other.

The Colts weren't getting credit in June for being a more successful franchise over the past decade. All everyone wanted to talk about was how teams who replace their GM, coaching staff and All Pro quarterback with rookies across the board don't have good season, and what the Colts would be doing with the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft.

I have nothing against the Redskins or Robert Griffin III. I wish them both the best. I have nothing against you, Yehoodi. You're a good poster. But I can't sit here and let someone get away with arguing that the Colts have a better roster and are a better franchise, and using that as ammunition in a discussion about who is doing more for their team between Luck and Griffin. It's too disconnected from reality. Not just the present reality, but the reality we've been coming to terms with since April.

So Indy is -9 in turnover ratio ... yet they are 6-3 ...

and the D is OVERACHIEVING? Seattle is -4 I think... but their D is "very good" ...

I'll take that kind of underachievement any day of the week..

Normally when an NFL team is in the minus ... they are not very good teams. Good teams overcome a negative turnover ratio.

I don't get how you can poo poo this D. They have stepped up when they have had too.

It's hard to tell. Who's to say what Luck would do if Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, and Donnie Avery all went on IR or missed significant portions of the season. That's what RG3 is dealing with in D.C. along with a host of other defensive injuries. A lot of that has contributed to their current record.

Directly from that article:

"Dual-threat QBs who excelled in spread-type college offenses rarely get much love from the NFL. They’re allowed to continue operating a similar style of attack even less often. Either they get with the program of playing on Sundays, or content themselves with memories of glory on Saturdays."

I rest my case....

Bro read that quote all over again... you just totally made my case ...

Shanny has adjusted his O to the QB. Which is brilliant... It's only the smart play when you know he won't be able to learn a new one in ONE pre season.... Which Luck did.

And you highlight "spread O" .... do you know how many variations of spread there are.

Baylor ran the read option. which is a spread option. The same one Cam Newton ran at Auburn. And the same principles Carolina is running right now with Cam. Only diff. Cam is not as accurate as RG3.. and Cam doesn't have the top rushing attack in the NFL.

Geezz...

Bro read that quote all over again... you just totally made my case ...

Shanny has adjusted his O to the QB. Which is brilliant... It's only the smart play when you know he won't be able to learn a new one in ONE pre season.... Which Luck did.

And you highlight "spread O" .... do you know how many variations of spread there are.

Baylor ran the read option. which is a spread option. The same one Cam Newton ran at Auburn. And the same principles Carolina is running right now with Cam. Only diff. Cam is not as accurate as RG3.. and Cam doesn't have the top rushing attack in the NFL.

Geezz...

I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. We are talking about him passing the ball and the formations that were used at Baylor, which were primarily spread/shotgun formations. Whether he had the ability/option to run out of those formations is honestly irrelevant. Yes, I stand corrected about it not being a zone-read offense. The basis that Arians uses formations similar to that same spread-style, again the option portion of it being irrelevant, offense that Baylor ran and how Griffin would be familiar with it is my point. 402 attempts, and as you said 4300 yards, says there was more to that offense than him just looking off and running hence only ~600 yards rushing by him. I think he would be just fine and very familiar with Arians offense and how its utilized, and I think his transition would be minimal especially with him having to use his arm more than his legs.

I find if amusing how Colt fans defended Manning unconditionally.

Yet Luck is still getting some "grief" from so called Colt fans....

Oh well...

Typical waving of the "I am a better fan because..." flag or card to me, though stated cleverly, I must admit.

Oh well... :)