Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You are entitled to an opinion but wow..........

Michael Lebron

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is making you give more relevance to the Patriots than they currently deserve? I'm sorry but I think you've watched enough Colt games to know the team is playing on more than euphoric highs, and motivational speeches. How about giving our team some credit for executing what Chuck Strong is really about. I get sick of the whole Chuck Strong thing in the sense that people use it to say it's merely some emotional catalyst that's driving a stinky team. I think it's total BULL, and if I could cuss on this forum I would leave the other 4 letters on the end of BULL! The definition of Chuck Strong is not about playing emotional football for some guy who is on his death bed.

Chuck Strong is about playing the game to the professional standards that our coach has taught us to play with. Playing to the whistle blows, staying almost penalty free, tackling with force and sound fundamentals, staying in your gaps and doing your job, executing the defense properly without blowing assignments. As Cory Redding says "not letting the offense get a blade of grass" in the running game. Etc, Etc, Etc. To be honest with you that is really what being Chuck Strong is about.

The above definition is why the Colts are winning. If you're telling me the Colts would not be playing this way if Pagano did not get cancer, I'd say you're kidding yourself. We are playing according to what this man taught and instilled from the very first day he came on the ship. These type of things do not magically disappear once emotions evaporate! I told you in the pre-season that things would translate over into the regular season because you could tell from the effort they were giving that Paganos teachings were taking root. They love that man because he has instilled the right things in them that go beyond emotions.

We have more than enough talent to be competitive with anybody in this league. We may be young, but there is explosive talent all over our offense. Our young quarterback is not playing off of emotions, he's playing sound football. When these teams play our offense, they are not backing off and giving cushions because the Colts coach has cancer. On the contrary, they know the Colts have some guys that can burn you big time if you don't watch out. We are not improving in the running game because Chuck has cancer, it's because we have some big dudes up there who are starting to jell as a unit, and they want to play Chuck Strong.

We've seen enough quality defensive fronts to know the Patriots are not the best one we have faced this year. And don't get me started on that joke of a secondary they have. They need to be worrying about how they are going to contain us, and get us off the field because it's definitely going to be a challenge for that bunch! From what I saw yesterday, they are going to need some kind of "euphoria" to mask the number of issues they have in their secondary. Honestly I think Luck is going to expose them.

Sure they'll give us some problems with their offense, but I think we have more than enough talent in our front 7, and the secondary to give them their fair share of 3 and outs and field goals. If we play according to the definition of Chuck Strong I gave, I don't see why we shouldn't win. I'm even more assured of it after watching the bumbling Bills almost win that game yesterday. I'm sorry but we are better than the Bills!

Well said. However, just one thing. We are better than the Jags. And we lost to them. Forecasting is futile, but it is fun.

It's one thing to be a fan and all together another thing to be realistic. It would be "nice" if the Colts beat New England and it would be nice to win the lottery. Whatever happened to "building" a team over a period of time? I guarantee this kind of "pie in the sky when you die" jargon will vanish if the Pats put on a show and humiliate the very young and very inexperienced Colt team. Be patient as all signs are pointing to a very good team in the future. These guys have done enough to make me happy for the year after suffering the miserable skunk smell last season so... "be happy, don't worry".

It's one thing to be a fan and all together another thing to be realistic. It would be "nice" if the Colts beat New England and it would be nice to win the lottery. Whatever happened to "building" a team over a period of time? I guarantee this kind of "pie in the sky when you die" jargon will vanish if the Pats put on a show and humiliate the very young and very inexperienced Colt team. Be patient as all signs are pointing to a very good team in the future. These guys have done enough to make me happy for the year after suffering the miserable skunk smell last season so... "be happy, don't worry".

Seems like your expectations are very low, and your idea of reality is anything but real.

While you have to give the Colts credit for beating Miami, Minnesota and the biggest win against Green Bay, these games all have one thing in common, they were at home. The Colts have won two road games, one against Tennesee, a very bi-polar team and Jacksonville, a poor team especially without MJD. On the other side, they were blown out by an average at best Jets team and completely destroyed by the Bears(although it was a completely new coaching staff, many new players and a rookie QBs first game). This season has gone beyond expectations and I am very happy with what I expected to be a complete rebuilding year. So my hopes and support for this team will not die with the Patriots game, however I would like to see a close and competitive game. But it's hard not to expect a loss with this team's history at New England, and despite some early season losses, this team is incredibly difficult to beat at home. Couple that with the team struggling on the road, granted they are turning that around, it's understandable that most Colts fans don't expect to win. The thing we have to remember, even though this team is doing better than expected, is that Rome wasn't built in a day, and this team still has alot of work to do before becoming elite.

Krunk,

Thank you for such a well thought out post. Sure, we are exceeding expectations and Chuck Pagano and his staff are darn good teachers of fundamental football. Is the #ChuckStrong phenomenon solely responsible for our current success? No, not entirely, but we are kidding ourselves if we refuse to acknowledge that rallying behind Chuck's battle with Cancer isn't play a pivotal role here. It's a question of degree and why we are defying expectations. I can't put an exact percentage on it. But, if you eliminated Leukemia from the equation and the intense defiance to defeat and rally behind our coach would we have gelled so swiftly and quickly? No, I don't think so.

"We have more than enough talent to be competitive with anybody in this league. We may be young, but there is explosive talent all over our offense. Our young quarterback is not playing off of emotions, he's playing sound football. When these teams play our offense, they are not backing off and giving cushions because the Colts coach has cancer. On the contrary, they know the Colts have some guys that can burn you big time if you don't watch out. We are not improving in the running game because Chuck has cancer, it's because we have some big dudes up there who are starting to jell as a unit, and they want to play Chuck Strong."

A well written paragraph krunk. I have 1 question though. The year Tony Dungy's son committed suicide and tragically ended his life did the Colts go to the SB? Andy Reid's son committed suicide this year. Are they going to the SB this year? Unfortunately, that is an emphatic no on both counts. My point is good will alone will not carry a team across the Lombardi glory finish line. To NE's credit, they darn achieved Lombardi glory in the wake of Myra Kraft's tragic passing as well.

Yes, NE currently has secondary issues, which is their fundamental weakness. However, NE's ground game is postively amazing, even with Bolden out for 4 games, and more than counteracts their secondary weakness IMO. The Colts fundamental weakness is our offensive line and Vince Wilfork is gonna implode and collapse our pocket right up the middle everytime he steps on the field.

I think you misinterpreted my intent behind the words passionate and talent. Defying the odds while slamming head first into the reality and experience of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady won't end well for us next week. Experience matters. NE's got a roster littered with clutch veterans while we, on the other hand, have a roster littered with youth. A classic buzz saw scenario IMO.

Regarding the Buffalo Bills, "I'm sorry but we are better than the Bills!" The Patriots won the game. Don't forget that. Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons firing. NE won the game due to experience, calmness, and a little luck. The Colts are on the way back, but the Patriots are at the top of the NFL mountain, and we are still rock climbing the lower levels. The Pats and Colts are at 2 different points of the Playoffs perspective. We will get back? Absolutely! Are we there now? Nope, not close. Be cautious and keep our optimism and reasonable expectations in check.

Just my :2c: Thank you

Krunk,

Thank you for such a well thought out post. Sure, we are exceeding expectations and Chuck Pagano and his staff are darn good teachers of fundamental football. Is the #ChuckStrong phenomenon solely responsible for our current success? No, not entirely, but we are kidding ourselves if we refuse to acknowledge that rallying behind Chuck's battle with Cancer isn't play a pivotal role here. It's a question of degree and why we are defying expectations. I can't put an exact percentage on it. But, if you eliminated Leukemia from the equation and the intense defiance to defeat and rally behind our coach would we have gelled so swiftly and quickly? No, I don't think so.

"We have more than enough talent to be competitive with anybody in this league. We may be young, but there is explosive talent all over our offense. Our young quarterback is not playing off of emotions, he's playing sound football. When these teams play our offense, they are not backing off and giving cushions because the Colts coach has cancer. On the contrary, they know the Colts have some guys that can burn you big time if you don't watch out. We are not improving in the running game because Chuck has cancer, it's because we have some big dudes up there who are starting to jell as a unit, and they want to play Chuck Strong."

A well written paragraph krunk. I have 1 question though. The year Tony Dungy's son committed suicide and tragically ended his life did the Colts go to the SB? Andy Reid's son committed suicide this year. Are they going to the SB this year? Unfortunately, that is an emphatic no on both counts. My point is good will alone will not carry a team across the Lombardi glory finish line. To NE's credit, they darn achieved Lombardi glory in the wake of Myra Kraft's tragic passing as well.

Yes, NE currently has secondary issues, which is their fundamental weakness. However, NE's ground game is postively amazing, even with Bolden out for 4 games, and more than counteracts their secondary weakness IMO. The Colts fundamental weakness is our offensive line and Vince Wilfork is gonna implode and collapse our pocket right up the middle everytime he steps on the field.

I think you misinterpreted my intent behind the words passionate and talent. Defying the odds while slamming head first into the reality and experience of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady won't end well for us next week. Experience matters. NE's got a roster littered with clutch veterans while we, on the other hand, have a roster littered with youth. A classic buzz saw scenario IMO.

Regarding the Buffalo Bills, "I'm sorry but we are better than the Bills!" The Patriots won the game. Don't forget that. Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons firing. NE won the game due to experience, calmness, and a little luck. The Colts are on the way back, but the Patriots are at the top of the NFL mountain, and we are still rock climbing the lower levels. The Pats and Colts are at 2 different points of the Playoffs perspective. We will get back? Absolutely! Are we there now? Nope, not close. Be cautious and keep our optimism and reasonable expectations in check.

Just my :2c: Thank you

Southwest,

I tend to be in disagreement with you about what the team would have accomplished without Chuck being sick. I think that they still would be somewhere around the same record because of the motivation to change the circumstances from last years pitiful record. The winning tradition that has spanned the last 10 years should be taken into account as well. I don't think a team like Cleveland for example could do what we have done here.

Now when we are looking at the Patriots I'll start off with Wilfork. I think you are speaking of him in a tone that gives him a level of dominance as someone like Godzilla would have facing our O-line! Wilfork has always been a good player, but never has he been on the level of Reggie White. I don't even think he is as good as Ted Washington was when he was with the Pats. I just don't see Wilfork as dominating as you state him to be. We've played some pretty good D-lines this year, and Wilfork won't be the best.

I think the Patriots have a good running game but I'm not sure it's on the level you are giving them. Ridley is a good back, but let's see where he's gotten his yards since he is the best back on that team. The rest of those guys are supplemental backs.

I'll give you Ridleys highlight games:

He got 125 yards on 21 carries against the Titans. Didn't our Colts achieve a similar result against the Titans? The Titans run defense stinks. Therefore I'm not ready to annoint Ridley off this game.

Next Ridley achieved 106 yards on 22 carries against a REALLY suspect Buffalo Bills run defense. The same run defense that was TORCHED by CJ2K a week or two ago. These are the stats from their first match up. Therefore I'm not ready to annoint Ridley off this game either.

Next he went for 151 on 28 carries against Denver. A good performance against a team that was so so at the time. Denver turned the ball over some in that game if I recall.

Next he went for 127 on 15 attempts against the Rams. We all know the rams are some what of an up and down team.

Finally he went for 98 on 22 carries against the lowly Bills again.

Any team that is not listed above, Ridley didn't sniff 100 yards and they were all losses except for the Jets game.

The Patriot have not run for 100 yards against any base 3-4 team this season. Our Colts have gotten healthier along the D-line and we are playing our gaps, techniques and tackling better in our last couple of games. We are not a get pushed around team anymore. Usually when we have problems in the run game it is due to guys not playing their gaps properly as opposed to getting dominated. I think as of late we are playing the defense better when it comes to the run. I have confidence we'll carry this into the Patriots game.

I don't think I can totally buy the Bellichick/Brady experience thing. Arizona walked into Gillette and pulled out a victory this year. They certainly are not going to the Super Bowl or the playoffs. I don't think it's realistic to not give our team a chance.

I'll leave it at that my brother! Talk to ya later.....

Considering injuries ,i think we have exceded expectations,and Yes we have some good young talent,and in my estimation a pretty good leader in the huddle ,not unlike PM,does Chuck serve as motivation ,I think to a degree,because all players like him and are pulling for him.Is it changing the outcome of these games?Probably not IMO.I knew if the OL gelled the running game would come alive,my Brother Southwest and Brent all discussed this being key before regular season started.Are we on schedule?Ahaid IMO all the way around.IF you asked me about playoffs before season ,id said unlikely,now its a distinct possibility without catastrophic injury IMO .IM proud of the Colts and very proud of the hard work and progress.Regaurdless of if we make playoffs or not i think its been a productive season my hats off to you guys

Krunk,

Don't forget... apparently there's a new CB in town:)

One thing I can tell you for sure..there will be no exotic defense for the rookie QB. They're not smart enough yet so BB has them playing vanilla.

Still there's more to it than just a weak secondary which gives up some big plays. The front seven is good and the defense still gets turnovers.

So piling up yards doesn't always mean getting a win:)