Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happens to Arians after the season?

ReMeDy

I would be shocked if Arians doesn't get offers flooding in for head coaching positions with other teams after what he's done for Indy and Andrew Luck. I'm sure Arians loves Chuck Pagano and Indy, but does he love them enough to turn down a head coaching position?

Only way I see us keeping him is if he thinks he's too old to coach (age 60), we make him our new official HC (doubt it), or if we have him signed to some kind of long-term contract.

I would be shocked if Arians doesn't get offers flooding in for head coaching positions with other teams after what he's done for Indy and Andrew Luck. I'm sure Arians loves Chuck Pagano and Indy, but does he love them enough to turn down a head coaching position?

Only way I see us keeping him is if he thinks he's too old to coach (age 60), we make him our new official HC (doubt it), or if we have him signed to some kind of long-term contract.

Your last option wouldn't come into play simply because even if he has a 5 year contract to be OC, it's terminated if a team hires him as HC.

It will be interesting to see how this part of it plays out.

Does anyone know if Arians has ever interviewed for a HC position before? He has been around a long time, associated with great players and teams, so to me there is something to be said about him not getting a HC job yet. I'm not suggesting anything odd or that he isn't deserving, I'm just saying that OCs and DCs who have accomplished far less, or at least have a shorter resume, have HC jobs (Pagano, for one). This is an interesting topic, great post. I would not have thought Arians would get an interview, let alone a HC job a few weeks ago. But now...

I'm not sure Pagano is coming back....

But..to answer your question...Considering who the QB is, why would he leave?

I won't worry about this now but why would he want to leave? I won't blame him if he does but why would he want to leave Chuck (assuming he comes back) and leave Luck who would be going into his second year and he could help groom him into the next big thing at QB?

He's not a young man either.

Does anyone know if Arians has ever interviewed for a HC position before? He has been around a long time, associated with great players and teams, so to me there is something to be said about him not getting a HC job yet. I'm not suggesting anything odd or that he isn't deserving, I'm just saying that OCs and DCs who have accomplished far less, or at least have a shorter resume, have HC jobs (Pagano, for one). This is an interesting topic, great post. I would not have thought Arians would get an interview, let alone a HC job a few weeks ago. But now...

don't think he has ever gotten an interview...pretty sure i read that somewhere the other day.

I'm not sure Pagano is coming back....

But..to answer your question...Considering who the QB is, why would he leave?

Agree on both points.

1) I pray Pagano comes back healthy and better then ever. But, there is always the chance he doesn't. It's cancer here folks. And even if he recovers what if his family convinces him to retire? I guess this is a wait and see and keep your fingers crossed scenario that we worry about later. Just hope Pagano recovers first and foremost.

2) Yeah why would you want to leave Luck? You won't find a better young QB to help groom for the future and be a part of.

Arians would not make a good head coach, to many questionable and even bad decisions (mixed in with some good), throwing down field on 3rd and shorts a fair share of times, poor use of timeouts, whats made him look like a good head coach this far is Luck,, not trying to take the air out of his or anyones tires, he has this team competing for the division as well as a playoff spot but he is a QB'S coach and thats where he should be

I won't worry about this now but why would he want to leave? I won't blame him if he does but why would he want to leave Chuck (assuming he comes back) and leave Luck who would be going into his second year and he could help groom him into the next big thing at QB?

He's not a young man either.

Money. HC's make more than OC's.

I'm sure he'd like to stay with Pagano & Luck But financial secuirity for himself and family would be a huge factor.

If Arians wanted to be an HC, he would sure be a little jealous of the attention Pagano is getting and I don't see an ounce of that in him. OC's love great QBs (which he has) and tinkering with new plays. He seems to be doing a lot of that these days and loving it.

If he does get an opportunity, this has worked out as well as it possibly could for him. The guy was run out of Pittsburgh as OC, and one year later, might have a head coaching opportunity.

Where and with what QB would he be a fit? That's the question.

I have to say I like his temperament and leadership as head coach. If I needed a coach, I would give him a look.

The man was just fired and sent into early retirement just last season. Now people are saying he is going to get some offers at a HC positions. I doubt it

People aren't saying he's going to get offers to be hired. They're saying he'll get offered to be interviewed. Big, BIG difference.

Once he's interviewed, who knows how many (if any) offers he might get. But he should get some offers to be interviewed, I'd be stunned if he doesn't.

The man was just fired and sent into early retirement just last season. Now people are saying he is going to get some offers at a HC positions. I doubt it

Good coaches get fired sometimes. It happens. Doesn't mean they'll never get another shot.

If I were running a team and was interviewing coaching candidates, I would place value on the experience Arians is getting right now. Whenever an assistant coach is in the running, you always wonder how they would exercise leadership over the whole team, how they would handle game management, whether they can motivate players, etc. Those questions are being answered right now in Arians case, and mostly to the positive.

What works against him is his age. The NFL has become a young man's league. Irsay placed a premium on finding young, energetic people to lead the team, and Pagano was the oldest guy interviewed, I believe. Retreads don't get a lot of love unless they've had good success in the past. Lots of early 40s coaches, and some younger. And there are a lot of young up-and-comers that will get attention this next offseason.

But I would have Arians on my short list of candidates, absolutely. I'm not that excited about his play calling, but he's improved in game management every week, he trusts his players, and they all speak very highly of him. I like him a heck of a lot more as a head coach than as a coordinator. Maybe I wouldn't hire him, but I'd feel like I didn't do my job if I didn't at least ask about him.

I like him a heck of a lot more as a head coach than as a coordinator.

It's complicated, isn't it? That's exactly how I feel. But the perfect coach probably doesn't exist, so you add up everything in his favor and make a decision.

New Orleans had months to prepare for their coach not being around and look at them. The Colts had ONE day to prepare.

What Arians has done is impressive. He will get some run if he is open to it. The Colts have played really hard for him, and he is a proven commodity as a QB coach.

Don't be shocked if he leaves. But don't be shocked if Irsay slips him a nice BONUS check to stay either.

If he wants it and gets a shot good for him. He deserves the chance.

Come on, you certainly know what i mean! Dungy and he who shall not be named were known for being very conservative, like 4th and 1s, offensive and.defensive schemes, etc etc

Very conservative on D, yes I agree there..

I won't mind if I ever see another 10 cushion from a Colt CB again.

I believe he stays another one or two years. I just don't forsee him walking away just after one year. Because in all likelyhood, it'd be either Dallas, Philly or some team in the AFC South. Hes a perfect fit and him and Pags have a close friendship. Remember Pagano was the one who convinced him to come out of "retirement".

Too hard to say because we don't know for sure what jobs are going to be open and maybe more importantly who these teams GMs are going to be. A lot of GMs hire people they know so if someone who doesn't have a relationship with Arians gets a job it's less likely he would hire Arians. With that said if a team hires a guy like Tom Telesco to be their GM he might very well reach out to Arians. I wouldn't waste your time now though worrying about what might happen. I would spend it enjoying the magic run the Colts are on right now and what's going to happen in the off-season is going to happen and we'll deal with it then.

Too difficult to tell. I'm actually heading towards a 3rd interview for a new job. If successful, there will be more money, more staff, more work and more travel. I'm happy where I am just now, so why would I move jobs? The challenge. And even if offered, I might not take it.

If I don't even know what I'm going to do, how is Arians, at this stage in the season, going to know what he want's to do?

Stupid analogy probably, but hope you get my drift....

I think the real question that should be asked here is, if Arians does leave, how does everyone feel about Clyde calling the plays next season? Because that's Arians' most likely replacement if he does leave. Grigson and Pagano will be all about continuity and stability for Luck early in his career, so I doubt that we'll be bringing any big name coordinators, with a totally different schemes, in to replace Arians. Just my opinion

The guy is 5-1 since taking over the reigns of the team.

He will definitely get calls from teams wanting HCs like the Chiefs.

If Arians does leave, I wouldn't blame him even though I think that in a couple years we could very well be a deep playoff team if he stayed.

I would love to get a good offensive HC that will likely get fired like Chan Gailey or Norv Turner.