Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what are the keys to beating new england

Stephen

Limit turnovers, convert scoring opportunities, get the defense off the field on third down. If we don't do those three things, we don't have a chance.

And if we're ever going to get a big return this season, this would be the perfect game for that to happen.

That sums it up. They need big plays anywhere they can get them outside of the passing game - turnovers, a long run, long return, blocked kick, trick play, anything.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the love of god - PASS RUSH. Give Brady 4+ seconds to throw and good night.You can't cover all of his weapons - one of them will eventually come open.

No pass rush = no chance.

Oh, and we might want to keep an eye on that Welker guy. I hear he's half decent. Please have somebody glued to him. If one can't, double cover him all night.

The Patriots scare me far more than the Packers did. Everyone knows about the Patriots passing attack, but few are mentioning their rushing attack. This year especially, they have been more of a rushing threat with Ridley and Vereen. And all of their RBs are a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield, for big gains. If we focus on stopping the passing game, they can run, and vice-versa. We need to have a complete defensive appoach to have a shot at stopping them.

On offese, we need to convert on third downs, like we did in the Dolphins games. They've greatly improved their pass rush, so we need to execute and be very efficient.

I am glad that it appears we did not have any injuries in the Jags game, and now we may have some time to heal up.

Keys to beat patriots 2012:

1. The offense must not give away the ball, not a single time.

2. The defense must not give more than 27 points. (The pats average 32.8 aka 33 points a game so... yes holding them to 27 will be really good.)

3. Keep the run respectable so we have a chance to send some bombs with the play action. (The timing Avery-Luck is getting better.)

And finally something that we haven't done all season long, and I think that playing against a high scoring offense on home will be great:

4. Do a trick play with the special teams, these are the possibilities:

- Onside kick

- Fake punt

- Fake field goal

We will need all, our special teams, defense and offense to win this game!!!

How sweet would it be to return home 7-3? :number1:

Win the matchups, play with passion and energy like we have been, and constantly attack. I want to see them take the wind out of NE's sails (and the crowd) and just keep coming at them. Not easy but we can leave Foxborough with a win.

Oh, and I want to see Chapman introduce himself to Brady three times.

I want Chapman is as much as the next Colts fan.... but, for whatever it's worth, he's not a pass rush guy. He's a run stuffer and an O-lineman eater so the LB's can make plays. He could play an entire game and barely get near Brady but still have done his job well.

Just sayin....

(Of course, if he could get some pressure -- even just a little -- that'd be sweet too!) :thmup:

1. Have an extra few days more to prepare than they do.

check

2. Have a QB that can dissect a defense and get out of the pocket and make plays.

check

3. Have an offense that is not as predictable as we were 3 years ago.

check

4. Have a running game that can eat up a little clock and keep the defensive backfield looking in.

check

5. Make sure that our other WR are ready to step up. Bill B. will do everything to make us beat them without Reggie going for 9+ catches and 100+ yards.

this is the key to the game

Spike Brady's gatorade.

Since it is looking increasingly likely this team has a shot at playoffs, I want to see something from them to suggest they can handle a tough opponent on the road, under intense pressure and scrutiny, and at least be competitive.

I have no idea strategy wise. Anyone want to try and outsmart Brady and Belichek?

Just better play inspired football.

You don't outsmart Mr. Brady and the Grey Hoodie. You just play mistake free football, tackle, & claw & fight vigorously through the 4th Quarter & see how the ball bounces in the final 2 minutes...

Spiking Brady's Gatorade isn't a bad idea & I think it explains Brady's rational behind doing this TV commercial...[i don't blame Tom; I blame his marketing agent.] :facepalm:

http://youtu.be/lOclC9bbeQU

I'm sorry! I am not afraid of the Patriots defense. They have a number of problems in that secondary that will not be fixed by the time we play them. They are just not that talented in the secondary. We are just better than them. Don't mean to sound arrogant, but what I saw in todays game against the Bills was just not impressive at all.

You can say what you want, but I feel we should beat them if we play our game.

3 things to win Freeney, Mathis, and Redding have to get to Brady make him uncomfortable in the pocket Freeny and Mathis more than any opponent has always had success.2nd. Stop the Patriots main weapons the TE's take a chance and let Welker beat them him and Brandon since Welker is used more as a decoy these days he prone to drop some passes that could be key to the gm.And 3rd the Colts offense must not kill themselves with turnovers do not turn the ball over and help them out.

I believe the key is getting pressure and sacks on Brady.

Lots of good points here. For the Colts, they need to expose the seams of the defense, which most teams have been doing alllllllllll season long. TEs will be a key for the Colts offensively. I expect the Patriots to play a lot of nickel with quite a few blitzes, keeping it exotic. The Colts' running game is average, and the Patriots tend to shut down average running games.

It'll be a close game (it shouldn't be, but the Patriots' defense is annoyingly bad). Patriots should win by 17+, but it'll probably be by 7-8.

Lots of good points here. For the Colts, they need to expose the seams of the defense, which most teams have been doing alllllllllll season long. TEs will be a key for the Colts offensively. I expect the Patriots to play a lot of nickel with quite a few blitzes, keeping it exotic. The Colts' running game is average, and the Patriots tend to shut down average running games.

It'll be a close game (it shouldn't be, but the Patriots' defense is annoyingly bad). Patriots should win by 17+, but it'll probably be by 7-8.

I agree. We will have our hands full with Welker and Gronk. If Powers comes back, do we put him in nickel because he will be covering Welker after coming back from injury? Is that a chance we take? I dont think we will have an answer for Gronk in the red zone, that is my biggest concern. Welker between the 20s and Gronk in the red zone, if you take care of those, we might force more FGs from the Pats and stand a chance.

check

2. Have a QB that can dissect a defense and get out of the pocket and make plays.

check

check

4. Have a running game that can eat up a little clock and keep the defensive backfield looking in.

check

5. Make sure that our other WR are ready to step up. Bill B. will do everything to make us beat them without Reggie going for 9+ catches and 100+ yards.

This is actually to a "T". Someone other than Reggie will need to make some big plays.

This is actually to a "T". Someone other than Reggie will need to make some big plays.

Not a bad break down at all. Although I don't think the Patriots have anyone that could really stop Reggie Wayne if they wanted to. With that being said, I do think Luck should spread the ball more and not target Reggie so much at times.

check

check

check

check

We can do all of that and still lose. Our offense can play, we know that. We know we're at least as good as Buffalo.

The key to the game is how our defense plays. Can we make them punt?

Luck and the Colts' offense will be able to move the ball through the air pretty much at will. Brady and the Patriots' offense should have plenty of success also.

So to me, this game comes down to which team can make more stops, probably via turnovers. If Indy holds onto the ball this will be a shootout that goes down to the wire, IMHO...

Luck and the Colts' offense will be able to move the ball through the air pretty much at will. Brady and the Patriots' offense should have plenty of success also.

So to me, this game comes down to which team can make more stops, probably via turnovers. If Indy holds onto the ball this will be a shootout that goes down to the wire, IMHO...

I agree (or at least I hope that's true). But, isn't that remarkable that we're even having a discussion like this? Most talking heads picked us to win maybe 3 or 4 games at most.

I agree (or at least I hope that's true). But, isn't that remarkable that we're even having a discussion like this? Most talking heads picked us to win maybe 3 or 4 games at most.

We were in several close games last year like the Chiefs game, Steelers game, Browns game etc. that we could have won. I am glad we didn't then because we got Luck because of that. I am glad we are winning those close games with Luck now. :)

What's beaten NE is hitting Brady in the mouth all day long....They dont have a great O Line so he needs to be pressured...I think we can stop the run game though...

Um.

Seriously?

Tell me, how many times has Brady been sacked this year? Even with the makeshift line, Brady has had plenty of time this season. Heck, I don't even think he was touched, let alone pressured or sacked, against St. Louis.

The O-line has been fantastic this year for NE.

Um.

Seriously?

Tell me, how many times has Brady been sacked this year? Even with the makeshift line, Brady has had plenty of time this season. Heck, I don't even think he was touched, let alone pressured or sacked, against St. Louis.

Wellllllllllllllll in the games he lost it was due to a lot of pressure all day.....does that make you feel better?

In some ways, but I don't think last year's Indy team was nearly as bad as their record. I think the way things kind of worked out, there was very much a defeated feeling going into the season without Manning. So while I definitely see where you're coming from, I think the 2011 Colts were probably the "best" 2-14 team in NFL history, if that's a reasonable way to put it, LOL...

Um.

Seriously?

Yup. Thanks, Dante. He's the man.

680433_01offCoach.jpg

Wellllllllllllllll in the games he lost it was due to a lot of pressure all day.....does that make you feel better?

Not even so much, though... honestly. The games they lost were due to their inability to hold a lead. In all three losses, the Patriots held a two-score edge early in the 4th quarter. The defense has had repeated breakdowns late in games and the offense has failed to move the ball at times in key situations. It really hasn't been the pressure on Brady... that's not really an issue for NE at all right now. His uniform's been pretty clean after most games. Just giving you honest feedback here.

Here are some things that worked for the Bills that we can take away from.

On Offesne:

1. Vince Wilfork- he is a force in the Patriots run D. Unfortunately for us, he will often line up on our left, between our LG and LT, or C and LG. We have mainly had success running to our left and not to our right. The Patriots will look to take away this strength. We should run to our right to test it out, or use the no-huddle offense to wear down Wilfork. This will create running lanes later in the game as he becomes exhausted. This is exactly how the Bills had success running last week, especially in the fourth quarter.

2. The Pats defense allowed many intermediate pass completions over the middle. This is where we like to throw. I am curios if Belicheck will adjust his scheme here.

3. The Pats pass rush was getting pressure but not sacks. Fitzpatrick was able to avoid the pressure. Luck may not have a lot of time to throw, but similarly, I think he can avoid the rush to create more time. The extra time will allow for our receivers to get seperation.

Defense:

1. We need to adjust to the speed of their offense. I rewatched the Jags game and immediately after, I watched the Pats game. It was like watching a Pinto (Jags offense), and then comparing it to a Ferrari. Brady gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. The receivers are in and out of their breaks in 2 seconds or less. It's a well oiled machine. We need to study film, know their routes, and know their tendencies in order to have a shot at slowing them down.

2. We should be aware that Brady will often look for his check down RB (Woodhead) on third downs. This used to be Faulk. On third down, I would do whaterver we need to do in order to keep Woodhead from converting a 1st.

3. The Pats take shots down field, inhopes of a completion or a pass interference call. We cannot give up free plays with pass interference call. That's what killed the Bills in the first half. The refs handed the game to the Pats. We need to play smarter.