Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what are the keys to beating new england

Stephen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one. Stopping the run will certainly put us in the right direction, but even then Brady could still win it with his arm. So it would probably have to come down to a shootout in order to win this one. Hopefully we come away with an upset, but this one is definitely New England's to win.

• First we have to stop the run, 2nd we have to keep Luck upright and 3rd we HAVE to get healthy and last we have to be able to pressure Brady. With a long week to prepare and nerse some injurys hopefully we can get key players back and healthy, Powers,Davis,Mathis,Justice,Satele and Fleener

Getting back davis,powers,justice,and Mathis are most important. Stopping Ridley and gronkowski will be problematic, gronkowski is to big for our linebackers and safeties to cover. If we play 6 to 8 yards off the line in pass coverage majority of the plays then we automatically lose(it barely worked against the jags, def won't work against Brady and belichek). Samson Satele and/or AQ shipley need to do their best to try and contain Vince wilfork. Our receivers need to catch the ball(except Reggie wayne). Also would like to see josh chapman play. Pat Angerer needs more snaps

3 things to win Freeney, Mathis, and Redding have to get to Brady make him uncomfortable in the pocket Freeny and Mathis more than any opponent has always had success.2nd. Stop the Patriots main weapons the TE's take a chance and let Welker beat them him and Brandon since Welker is used more as a decoy these days he prone to drop some passes that could be key to the gm.And 3rd the Colts offense must not kill themselves with turnovers do not turn the ball over and help them out.

3 things to win Freeney, Mathis, and Redding have to get to Brady make him uncomfortable in the pocket Freeny and Mathis more than any opponent has always had success.2nd. Stop the Patriots main weapons the TE's take a chance and let Welker beat them him and Brandon since Welker is used more as a decoy these days he prone to drop some passes that could be key to the gm.And 3rd the Colts offense must not kill themselves with turnovers do not turn the ball over and help them out.

Why just Freeney,Mathis and Redding. I think it should be a team effort lol.

Interesting. This will be billed as a mismatch, but rankings would suggest otherwise. The Pats have the 1st rated offense going into this week, and the Colts have the 4th. The Pats' D is ranked 22, and the Colts' D is ranked 18. Every opponent has to deal with stopping Welker, Gronk, and Ridley, but 3 of 8 have figured out how to beat the Pats...so why can't we?

They come at you with a pretty balanced attack this year, so I think you have to play assignment-based defense and hope you can slow down the scoring a little. I don't really expect us to do anything different than we have done on D all year. It'll really help us to have Mathis back, but I don't know if that'll happen. The onus will really be on Luck and the offense. We have the weapons to light them up, much like they can probably light up our D. I really expect a shootout, and we'll see if Luck is ready to outgun Brady...

We'll need Davis back. Vaughn is a liability. Play Butler on the other side. Powers can play nickel if he even gets to play at all.

We've got to stop Welker. He will eat us alive in the middle of the field. Gronkowski is another problem.

I really hope Chapman is ready to roll by then, that would be a huge advantage up the middle.

Mathis should be ready by then as well, so that will help both on pressure and against the run. We need to use Zibs on blitzes right behind Freeney so that when Freeney goes wide they can't just run it right past him.

Last year the Colts made it a game even though they lost. This year is no different. The Colts are coming off a short week and now have a lot of time to rest up for New England. New England does have weak spots that the Colts can expose. Our run game has improved and the defense is starting to make big plays. The Colts have a chance to win this game, especially if it comes down to the wire. I see New England having the lead in the 4th quarter and then Andrew Luck does his thing and brings the Colts back for a victory. Its going to be interesting to see.

Win the matchups, play with passion and energy like we have been, and constantly attack. I want to see them take the wind out of NE's sails (and the crowd) and just keep coming at them. Not easy but we can leave Foxborough with a win.

Oh, and I want to see Chapman introduce himself to Brady three times.

The key is going to be Luck not forcing passes and making the rookie mistakes that he has made during this season. He is going to basically have to play a perfect game out there because I really doubt we are going to slow the Pats offense.

We are going to really need to be able to run the ball, keep Brady on the sideline and not turn the ball over. Defensively we have to get pressure or Brady will pick us apart. Yeah Butler and company looked good last night, but that is going against Gabbart. When you have Welker, Lloyd, and Gronk out there they will have a hard time stopping them. Frathis will have to have a great game or it will be a long day for our defense.

Of course we have a chance, but we will probably need to play our best game for all four quarters.

Stop the run. Pressure Brady. Score td in the redzone not fg and try to be within 1 score in the 4th.

I'd much rather the Colts be up by more than just 1 score in the 4th... :)

I guess to me, this is the toughest road matchup this team has had in a few weeks. I want to see a drastic improvement in their play over what they showed against the Jets. I want to see toughness and fight right to the end of the game. I want to see the dropsies get cleaned up a little more. I don't want to see Luck abused like the Jags were allowed to do.

Since it is looking increasingly likely this team has a shot at playoffs, I want to see something from them to suggest they can handle a tough opponent on the road, under intense pressure and scrutiny, and at least be competitive.

1. No turnovers.
  2. Stop the run and run the ball effectively enough to keep their D honest.
  3. Play man on Wes Welker and zone on the rest. Give Brady different looks.
  4. Limit yards after catch with good tackling to stand a chance to limit them to 30 pts. or less. Score more than 30 pts by coming away with TDs instead of FGs and when you do have a chance to make a FG, Adam, make it :).

1) Since Freeney and Mathis should be healthy we really need our interior to collapse the middle so Brady can't step up and make throws

2) Limit runs to the outside while our pass rush has theirs ears pinned back

3) Don't settle for field goals, play like you have nothing to lose.

Limit turnovers, convert scoring opportunities, get the defense off the field on third down. If we don't do those three things, we don't have a chance.

And if we're ever going to get a big return this season, this would be the perfect game for that to happen.