Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes a bit of dirty play

GoColts8818

While the defense played fast and furious it also looked very sloppy. Its great to appear to be having fun out there and all but the Jags should have never scored that late TD. Thats the kind of drive that puts opposing teams back in the game when it should be already sealed. Cassious Vaughn trying to jump that route and getting burned, that was a player trying to get a highlight..high risk - high reward type of play and he got burned, should have never happened. Just do your job and don`t force it trying to do too much.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fair to say, Jerry's hit was definitely unnecessary and well after the ball was thrown. He had another instance a couple weeks ago against the Titans I think?...where he made a tackle then pulled the guys legs out from under him. Just dumb...he's gonna cost us more yards than Cassius Vaughn if he doesn't cut it out.

I dont want him costing us games either and he hasnt. Football is getting away from what it was created to be and no Im not missing the point I just have my own views on it. You can look at it many different ways I see it as trying to be aggressive it didnt get called so big freaking deal. Alot of defensive line players have had a late hits. What about the offside penalty on Freeney that could have been a game changer or the pass interference call and even the false starts. Come on dont just single a player out. And telling me to save it on a forum where your supposed to talk and discuss this stuff well maybe you should go start you own forum where your opinion is the only one that matters!

"Have you ever been in the trenches or at the bottom of the pile? I dont believe you have."

This comment was why I told you to save it. It was very condescending and I'm pretty sure you're not out there yourself. I'm very well educated on the game and as I said I "watch" the game just like you do. You are free to give your opinion all you want, as I had no problems with that, but to act like you've "been there"? Again, save it.

"What about the offside penalty on Freeney that could have been a game changer or the pass interference call and even the false starts."

COMPLETELY different than delivering a cheap shot to the QB, or pulling the legs out from underneath a player you just tackled. Those penalties you stated are A PART OF THE GAME. Cheap shots and B*S* tactics ARE NOT. What are you not understanding about this?

"Come on dont just single a player out."

Hughes is the ONLY player that has been guilty of this so far, so yes, he's being singled out.

This is not a hard concept to grasp.

"Have you ever been in the trenches or at the bottom of the pile? I dont believe you have."

This comment was why I told you to save it. It was very condescending and I'm pretty sure you're not out there yourself. I'm very well educated on the game and as I said I "watch" the game just like you do. You are free to give your opinion all you want, as I had no problems with that, but to act like you've "been there"? Again, save it.

"What about the offside penalty on Freeney that could have been a game changer or the pass interference call and even the false starts."

COMPLETELY different than delivering a cheap shot to the QB, or pulling the legs out from underneath a player you just tackled. Those penalties you stated are A PART OF THE GAME. Cheap shots and B*S* tactics ARE NOT. What are you not understanding about this?

Hughes is the ONLY player that has been guilty of this so far, so yes, he's being singled out.

five-stars.jpg

I like some of the nastiness actually lol!!!

I am all for the nastiness and I kind of like the edge it brings, but there is a difference between being a nasty player and *. Ray Lewis was a nasty player and will make you pay, but he always played within the rules and did not cost his team.

Hughes on the other hand is just stupid when it comes to his nastiness. The nastiness is useless if it is costing us chunks of yards.

Cheap shots AREN'T a part of the game and aren't necessary. I especially don't want to see it out of our players either. You can still be aggressive and physical without doing what Hughes has done. I could give a D**N whether its the new, old, or future Colts, play like you have some sense. You don't see Mathis or Freeney pulling that crap.

Could not have said it better myself ! ! !

Players that are not big enough, fast enough, smart enough, tough enough to play the game properly are the ones who take the most cheap shots to "prove themselves"....

NEVER, NOT ONCE, EVER saw Freeney or Mathis take cheap shots...And they had plenty of opportunities.

Even saw Freeney pull up on a QB, step on his foot, sprain his ankle...and the rest is history...

Players that are not big enough, fast enough, smart enough, tough enough to play the game properly are the ones who take the most cheap shots to "prove themselves"....

NEVER, NOT ONCE, EVER saw Freeney or Mathis take cheap shots...And they had plenty of opportunities.

Even saw Freeney pull up on a QB, step on his foot, sprain his ankle...and the rest is history...

Cortland Finnegan comes to mind.

I wasnt trying to be condesending at all. I have played football I know what its like when your in the heat of the moment. The trenches and the piles are the worst place to be and just because you watch the game doesnt mean you see everything that happens in a game. Like I said everybody see's it the way they want. Football is a physical sport and Qbs are so protected its not even funny. I think there should be rules but come on you wear pads and a helmet for a reason. Its like putting kids in a bounce house and telling them not jump around because they could get hurt. We may as well go and play two hand touch. Way to many politics involved anymore. Sorry didnt mean to sound condesending but I love football but its became a game about the offence.

Thats Inaccurate. What about John Lynch He had some nasty cheap shots but was a great player and a safety players feared.

I like some of the nastiness actually lol!!!

Agreed besides those unsportsmanlike plays the kid had 1.5 (possibly 2 sacks if they give him the credit for the play where Zibs hopped over Gabbert and Hughes finished it off). He is stepping up his performance im ok with a Dirty play or two i mean c'mon its football

It might have been retribution fort the helmet to helmet hit on Luck.(not the hit while sliding)

Jerry might have been enforcing some payback.

Even Arians was talking about stepping on the Jags throats.

They weren't happy about something.

I dont want him costing us games either and he hasnt. Football is getting away from what it was created to be and no Im not missing the point I just have my own views on it. You can look at it many different ways I see it as trying to be aggressive it didnt get called so big freaking deal. Alot of defensive line players have had a late hits. What about the offside penalty on Freeney that could have been a game changer or the pass interference call and even the false starts. Come on dont just single a player out. And telling me to save it on a forum where your supposed to talk and discuss this stuff well maybe you should go start you own forum where your opinion is the only one that matters!

Thats like saying that I can go out and beat the crap out of somebody and if I don't get caught it's ok to do so.

Players can be aggressive and smart about it or they can be aggressive and dumb about it. What Hughes did was aggressively DUMB!!!

If you ask me I think Gabbert went out on his own more then the hits. He was shaken up after the late hit and the tackle on the next play, but after the time out he came in then ran back off the field. He was holding his knee after the run on the play after the late hit, but they said he rehurt his shoulder. I think he was tired of getting hit. Henne played alot better any way.

Agreed besides those unsportsmanlike plays the kid had 1.5 (possibly 2 sacks if they give him the credit for the play where Zibs hopped over Gabbert and Hughes finished it off). He is stepping up his performance im ok with a Dirty play or two i mean c'mon its football

I am sure you wouldn't be saying that if someone was doing the things he's doing to QB to Luck. Our fan base would label that player the dirtiest player in the game. Again you can be aggressive and feared and a monster without being dirty. Ray Lewis has made a career out of it.

It might have been retribution fort the helmet to helmet hit on Luck.(not the hit while sliding)

Jerry might have been enforcing some payback.

Even Arians was talking about stepping on the Jags throats.

They weren't happy about something.

I am pretty sure the Hughes hit came first. I think the hit on Luck came on the drive after that.

Also coaches use the step on the other teams throats metaphor all the time and it clearly means finishing the game and not letting the other team back into the game. It is in no way is encouraging dirty play.

I wasnt trying to be condesending at all. I have played football I know what its like when your in the heat of the moment. The trenches and the piles are the worst place to be and just because you watch the game doesnt mean you see everything that happens in a game. Like I said everybody see's it the way they want. Football is a physical sport and Qbs are so protected its not even funny. I think there should be rules but come on you wear pads and a helmet for a reason. Its like putting kids in a bounce house and telling them not jump around because they could get hurt. We may as well go and play two hand touch. Way to many politics involved anymore. Sorry didnt mean to sound condesending but I love football but its became a game about the offence.

and I don't think one person would have an issue with Hughes if he was getting his "payback" for lack of a better term by doing it during the normal course of the game. With that said, doing bush league stuff like pulling another QB's legs out from under them when they are trying to get up has no place in the game and is stupid. It can end up hurting the team like last night when he took his cheap shot and this time the officials caught it. It kept a Jags drive alive that the Colts had stopped and ended up leading to a score. You do that against teams like the Texans and Pats and it might very well cost the Colts a game.

It amazes me how people can over analyze everything. I would rather have this Jerry Hughes than the one we have had the last couple of years. I think its just not Jerry, I see us having a whole new attitude. Which brings out some of the plays you're gonna get flagged for. I like the direction we are going. Even though we didnt get a lot of sacks, we were getting pressure all night! Our D line is improving every week and if we can jump out infront of teams, i think its gonna be hard for teams to throw on us. I know it was against the Jags but I was impressed with Butler. If you watch the tape, his footwork was really impressive and quick. I thought this was one heck of a pick up for us. All this being said, I'll take this Hughes over the past Hughes!!

Andre Johnson ripping his helmet off and sticking him in the face a few times comes to mind.

Well, when a guy is provoking you all game and is attacking you for no absolute reason, especially when a play is already over, it will warrant a reaction. Tell me another time when Andre has had a nasty incident with another player. He is in no way dirty and frankly he did what any other player in his situation would have done. Innegan, on the other hand, is well-known around the league as a overly aggressive to the point of foolishness player.

its football no golf. supposed to be nasty. supposed to make wr's scared to come across the middle and make the qb's nervous in the pocket and get it away faster than they wanted to. period....now, lets just watch the hits that are going to cost us yards/game/penalties. but sometime a real nasty hit to instill fear is worth a penalty...imho ofcourse :)

its football no golf. supposed to be nasty. supposed to make wr's scared to come across the middle and make the qb's nervous in the pocket and get it away faster than they wanted to. period....now, lets just watch the hits that are going to cost us yards/game/penalties. but sometime a real nasty hit to instill fear is worth a penalty...imho ofcourse :)

Like that beautiful flying shoulder job into Luck's face after he had given himself up and was sliding. :thinking:

Thats Inaccurate. What about John Lynch He had some nasty cheap shots but was a great player and a safety players feared.

Wonder how he would have done with a leather helmet.....

Pi$$ poor, I'd say....

too small, too dumb,

Like that beautiful flying shoulder job into Luck's face after he had given himself up and was sliding. :thinking:

exactly! Im not in a tizzy about it. they got they flag. Lucks not hurt. I would want our guys laying wood to opposing teams as well. maybe im more of a Butkus, Ronnie Lott, Singleterry, Ray Lewis, Pat Willis type of guy. if they get hurt everytime they get hit playing football then maybe they shouldnt be playing.

I don't care if he is nice, dirty, fair or nasty. I just want him to be a game changer. Which he is not, and never will be. An eternal 2nd stringer.....

Right now he is 1 of the 2 best OLB's we have, he is actually doing much better then your willing to give him credit for, he has 4 sacks in 6 starts. I think its only fair to wait to see what Hughes can do in this new position before passing judgment, He is developing at that position very well and is still very young, Only 24, Demarcus Ware did not have an elite year his first year, he had 8 sacks and it took 16 games to get there, its not a far fetched scenario that Hughes can be a double digit sack man in this role if he gets a full season under his belt

Right now he is 1 of the 2 best OLB's we have, he is actually doing much better then your willing to give him credit for, he has 4 sacks in 6 starts. I think its only fair to wait to see what Hughes can do in this new position before passing judgment, He is developing at that position very well and is still very young, Only 24, Demarcus Ware did not have an elite year his first year, he had 8 sacks and it took 16 games to get there, its not a far fetched scenario that Hughes can be a double digit sack man in this role if he gets a full season under his belt

As always, i respect your comments. I just think he's not doing enough. He is always too late to the play, where it counts. Guys like Connor and Freeman (forget the position) have come in and delivered. Jerry has done very little to excite me. Grigson is not thinking big dollars, that's for sure...

As always, i respect your comments. I just think he's not doing enough. He is always too late to the play, where it counts. Guys like Connor and Freeman (forget the position) have come in and delivered. Jerry has done very little to excite me. Grigson is not thinking big dollars, that's for sure...

big dollars certainly not at this point I agree but Conner was doing so good he got put to 2nd string the minute Angerer was ready to come back. Hughes has 9 games at OLB total, 9 thats it and has delivered more then Freeney or any other OLB not named Mathis on our team, its not impossible if he continues to get starts that he can get double digits in sacks and 50 or so tackles

That's like saying Luck came in for Peyton. Playing 9 games means nada. Painter had 8 games I think. I'd have Freeney on one leg before Hughes. Are you saying you'd prefer Hughes?

I fail to see how 4 sacks in 6 starts means nada, I will take Hughes every day of the week and his 4 sacks in 6 starts as well as 23 tackles over Freeney and his 7 starts and two sacks and 4 tackles