Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes a bit of dirty play

GoColts8818

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when a guy is provoking you all game and is attacking you for no absolute reason, especially when a play is already over, it will warrant a reaction. Tell me another time when Andre has had a nasty incident with another player. He is in no way dirty and frankly he did what any other player in his situation would have done. Innegan, on the other hand, is well-known around the league as a overly aggressive to the point of foolishness player.

You took what I said wrong. Johnson was right in every aspect to do what he did. I was rooting for him during that little tussle.

You took what I said wrong. Johnson was right in every aspect to do what he did. I was rooting for him during that little tussle.

yeah exactly. like when Allen body slammed that guy earlier in the season. I have no problem with it. you have to show the defense your not going to be intitmidated or punked out there on the field. cause once you do, there will be blood in the water!

No, I honestly wasn't trying to sound aggressive, sorry if it came across that way. I did think you were making a reference to Andre possibly being dirty though lol so my little rant busted it's way out lol.

No, I honestly wasn't trying to sound aggressive, sorry if it came across that way. I did think you were making a reference to Andre possibly being dirty though lol so my little rant busted it's way out lol.

Not at all. I find nothing about his style dirty or wrong. If I'd of been him, I would of done a lot worse.

Honestly though, would you rather him be a nasty, sort of dirty, productive player or a complete non-factor?

Where does it say that not liking a cheap or dirty play means that one would rather have them be a non factor?

and if Freeney or Mathis does that OH GREAT HIT!

No, I would not.....I would feel exactly the same. Cheap shot does not change because of the number on the uniform.

I am all for an a nasty attitude and the idea our defense isn't going to lay down for anyone and them having an attitude with that said taking cheap shots at the other teams QB especially with in the division is a bad idea for two reasons.

1. The refs are going to catch it and flag you like they did tonight and you are hurting the team giving up yards and keeping drives alive by giving them a first down.

2. Sooner or later those teams defenses are going to protect their QB and start taking cheap shots at our QB.

I want our defense to be the monster that the Colts are trying to build but I want it to be a smart monster. Cheap shots on the other team's QB is not being a smart monster. It's stupid and ends up hurting you in the long wrong.

If this Colts team ever learns to play better defense and get more turnovers were going to be tough to beat.

Thats like saying that I can go out and beat the crap out of somebody and if I don't get caught it's ok to do so.

Players can be aggressive and smart about it or they can be aggressive and dumb about it. What Hughes did was aggressively DUMB!!!

Look all I am saying is to get over it, It didnt cost us any games so big deal. I like the attitude but if you dont ok fine by me.

If you ask me I think Gabbert went out on his own more then the hits. He was shaken up after the late hit and the tackle on the next play, but after the time out he came in then ran back off the field. He was holding his knee after the run on the play after the late hit, but they said he rehurt his shoulder. I think he was tired of getting hit. Henne played alot better any way.

I think Gabbert left because his team was getting there butts kicked....

I am sure you wouldn't be saying that if someone was doing the things he's doing to QB to Luck. Our fan base would label that player the dirtiest player in the game. Again you can be aggressive and feared and a monster without being dirty. Ray Lewis has made a career out of it.

Ray has had his share of dirty hits...Nice try though

Ray has had his share of dirty hits...Nice try though

Tell me a time Ray Lewis pulled a QBs legs out from under him when he was trying to get back up then back it up with video. This isn't a guy hitting a QB in the head when he is trying to make a sack that he really couldn't avoid. This is a DE doing something completely bush league and then following it up two weeks later coming back and looks to give a QB a late hit that he didn't need to give him on a shoulder that was injured going into the game and yes I know we have no way of knowing if Hughes knew about it or not.

Tell me a time Ray Lewis pulled a QBs legs out from under him when he was trying to get back up then back it up with video. This isn't a guy hitting a QB in the head when he is trying to make a sack that he really couldn't avoid. This is a DE doing something completely bush league and then following it up two weeks later coming back and looks to give a QB a late hit that he didn't need to give him on a shoulder that was injured going into the game and yes I know we have no way of knowing if Hughes knew about it or not.

Ok I wasnt being specific with the type of dirty hits.Remember the hit to Chad Johnson thats one. I dont hate the hit but by your comment I am lead to believe you think that was dirty. In some people eyes Hughes will never be a Freeney or Mathis even if he finishes the year with 21 sacks. I dont have to put videos on here to prove Lewis had some dirty hits along with other players just go to youtube. Dirty is dirty no matter what you call it.

Ok I wasnt being specific with the type of dirty hits.Remember the hit to Chad Johnson thats one. I dont hate the hit but by your comment I am lead to believe you think that was dirty. In some people eyes Hughes will never be a Freeney or Mathis even if he finishes the year with 21 sacks. I dont have to put videos on here to prove Lewis had some dirty hits along with other players just go to youtube. Dirty is dirty no matter what you call it.

This HAS nothing to do about sacks or Hughes being Freeney for crying out loud. Pulling a QBs legs out from under him when he's trying to get up is flat out dirty and has NO place in the game. Follow that up with a very questionable late hit two weeks later that could have easily been avoided into a shoulder that was already injured coming into the game and yes that questionable. If it was the last one alone I think most people would just look the other way but the fact he had the stunt with Hassekbeck two weeks before that starts to establish a pattern of behavior that's not good. Does it mean Hughes is a dirty player? No the jury is clearly still out on it which is why I made the title of this thread a bit of dirty play and didn't call him a dirty player.

You completely missed my point about Lewis. Lewis isn't respected for that hit on Johnson. Lewis is respected because of how he plays the game which for the most part has been clean. The Johnson play was a stupid play ALL players have that at some point and if these two plays turn out to be that for Hughes great. Even that at least came some what during a play as opposed to well after the play is over and tripping a dude just trying to stand up. Again it doesn't make the Lewis hit clean but it's at least a little more understandable than just pulling someone's legs out from under them. Either way the point is that you don't have to have dirty hits to be feared in this league and you don't have to do bush league stuff like Hughes did especially on the Hasselbeck play to be feared and that has nothing to do with respect and being feared and has everything to do with being bush league which will frankly make people lose respect for you in this league if you do it over and over.

What will make Hughes be feared and respected in this league is if he keeps playing like has been playing this season from the snap of the ball to the end of the play. He doesn't need this cheap shot stuff and if he keeps doing it people are just going to label him a dirty player and a cheap shot artist and those players are most defiantly not feared or respected.

This HAS nothing to do about sacks or Hughes being Freeney for crying out loud. Pulling a QBs legs out from under him when he's trying to get up is flat out dirty and has NO place in the game. Follow that up with a very questionable late hit two weeks later that could have easily been avoided into a shoulder that was already injured coming into the game and yes that questionable. If it was the last one alone I think most people would just look the other way but the fact he had the stunt with Hassekbeck two weeks before that starts to establish a pattern of behavior that's not good. Does it mean Hughes is a dirty player? No the jury is clearly still out on it which is why I made the title of this thread a bit of dirty play and didn't call him a dirty player.

You completely missed my point about Lewis. Lewis isn't respected for that hit on Johnson. Lewis is respected because of how he plays the game which for the most part has been clean. The Johnson play was a stupid play ALL players have that at some point and if these two plays turn out to be that for Hughes great. Even that at least came some what during a play as opposed to well after the play is over and tripping a dude just trying to stand up. Again it doesn't make the Lewis hit clean but it's at least a little more understandable than just pulling someone's legs out from under them. Either way the point is that you don't have to have dirty hits to be feared in this league and you don't have to do bush league stuff like Hughes did especially on the Hasselbeck play to be feared and that has nothing to do with respect and being feared and has everything to do with being bush league which will frankly make people lose respect for you in this league if you do it over and over.

What will make Hughes be feared and respected in this league is if he keeps playing like has been playing this season from the snap of the ball to the end of the play. He doesn't need this cheap shot stuff and if he keeps doing it people are just going to label him a dirty player and a cheap shot artist and those players are most defiantly not feared or respected.

Well I guess just pulling the feet out from under a player is really dirty. Dang I hope that never happens again. Look there are all types of cheap shots in the NFL Im not defending him at all I just dont think it was severe enought to start a thread about and for the late hit it happens you dont know if it was intentional or not. If you dont like it ok thats fine. Who cares if another player or team respects us or not you dont have to respect a team or player to get jacked up. And for labels they can label all they want.

Who cares if another player or team respects us or not you dont have to respect a team or player to get jacked up. And for labels they can label all they want.

I care. I do not want dirty players on our team and I sincerely hope this is not something that is going to be allowed. Like GoColts8818 I am not ready to label this dirty as of yet but I did notice the play and I will be watching. Play the game right. There is no reason for dirty shots and I don't care how many other teams allow it. The Colts have not and I certainly hope it stays that way.

Well I guess just pulling the feet out from under a player is really dirty. Dang I hope that never happens again. Look there are all types of cheap shots in the NFL Im not defending him at all I just dont think it was severe enought to start a thread about and for the late hit it happens you dont know if it was intentional or not. If you dont like it ok thats fine. Who cares if another player or team respects us or not you dont have to respect a team or player to get jacked up. And for labels they can label all they want.

I would agree with you about the late hit that it happens. Like I said before I think people would side with that if for the fact it didn't come two weeks AFTER the Hasselbeck play. That starts to establish a pattern and if you watch the play it become clear this wasn't some late shot that he really couldn't pull up on and was just a second late. It was a good two to three seconds after the pass was gone and a good two or three extra steps and he leans into hm to hit him. He had to go out of his way to do it and could have avoided it all together had he wanted too. Add into that Gabbert had a known injury in that shoulder going into the game and it just makes you step back and go hmmm. Again, like I said does it mean Hughes is a dirty player? No but there is a pattern here that does need to be watched.

Also I don't think anyone is saying what he did to Hasselbeck is the worst thing to ever happen in football. Clearly players have much worse things done to them on a weekly basis. That's not the point. The point was it was completely bush league and completely not needed regardless of how violent it was. Again how do you think most people would react if a Pats player did that to Luck this weekend? My guess is that would lose their minds over it.

Playing dirty has nothing to do with getting jacked up. There have been several examples of players in this league who can do that without having to get dirty. That's most peoples point the dirty play is simply not needed and doesn't help the team and frankly it can hurt your team with the flags like Hughes got on Thursday. It's stupid and there is no reason to do it.

I would agree with you about the late hit that it happens. Like I said before I think people would side with that if for the fact it didn't come two weeks AFTER the Hasselbeck play. That starts to establish a pattern and if you watch the play it become clear this wasn't some late shot that he really couldn't pull up on and was just a second late. It was a good two to three seconds after the pass was gone and a good two or three extra steps and he leans into hm to hit him. He had to go out of his way to do it and could have avoided it all together had he wanted too. Add into that Gabbert had a known injury in that shoulder going into the game and it just makes you step back and go hmmm. Again, like I said does it mean Hughes is a dirty player? No but there is a pattern here that does need to be watched.

Also I don't think anyone is saying what he did to Hasselbeck is the worst thing to ever happen in football. Clearly players have much worse things done to them on a weekly basis. That's not the point. The point was it was completely bush league and completely not needed regardless of how violent it was. Again how do you think most people would react if a Pats player did that to Luck this weekend? My guess is that would lose their minds over it.

Playing dirty has nothing to do with getting jacked up. There have been several examples of players in this league who can do that without having to get dirty. That's most peoples point the dirty play is simply not needed and doesn't help the team and frankly it can hurt your team with the flags like Hughes got on Thursday. It's stupid and there is no reason to do it.

Point wel taken. I get what your saying.