Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes a bit of dirty play

GoColts8818

I am not going to call him a dirty player but twice in the past month he's done cheap plays one got caught by the refs the other did not.

In the Titans game he pulled the legs out from under Hasselbeck when he was trying to get back up tonight and got away with it. Then tonight he leaned into Gabbert well after the ball was gone to give him a shot and got flagged for roughing the passer and a play later Gabbert would leave the game and he did not look comfortable after the late hit put on by Hughes.

Let's be honest for a second if someone did those things to Luck we would be losing our minds so I think it's fair to call Hughes out on it. I hope the coaches do it too and make it known to him you can't do those things.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like some of the nastiness actually lol!!!

I am all for an a nasty attitude and the idea our defense isn't going to lay down for anyone and them having an attitude with that said taking cheap shots at the other teams QB especially with in the division is a bad idea for two reasons.

1. The refs are going to catch it and flag you like they did tonight and you are hurting the team giving up yards and keeping drives alive by giving them a first down.

2. Sooner or later those teams defenses are going to protect their QB and start taking cheap shots at our QB.

I want our defense to be the monster that the Colts are trying to build but I want it to be a smart monster. Cheap shots on the other team's QB is not being a smart monster. It's stupid and ends up hurting you in the long wrong.

I am all for an a nasty attitude and the idea our defense isn't going to lay down for anyone and them having an attitude with that said taking cheap shots at the other teams QB especially with in the division is a bad idea for two reasons.

1. The refs are going to catch it and flag you like they did tonight and you are hurting the team giving up yards and keeping drives alive by giving them a first down.

2. Sooner or later those teams defenses are going to protect their QB and start taking cheap shots at our QB.

I want our defense to be the monster that the Colts are trying to build but I want it to be a smart monster. Cheap shots on the other team's QB is not being a smart monster. It's stupid and ends up hurting you in the long wrong.

I agree that he shouldn't be giving cheap shots to QB's though.

and if Freeney or Mathis does that OH GREAT HIT!

No. I wouldn't be saying that at all. It's bush league and doesn't need to be happening regardless of what player does that. This isn't hating on Hughes. Frankly outside of these plays I've been a big fan of Hughes as he's had a really good season and is finally starting to play like the guy we drafted. With that said this has nothing to do with his performance this has to do with two dirty plays that he doesn't need to be making.

Honestly though, would you rather him be a nasty, sort of dirty, productive player or a complete non-factor?

How about being a nasty productive player who doesn't take cheap shots? It's not like you have to take cheap shots to do that. Honestly he's been productive several times this season without playing dirty. The dirty stuff is something the coaches just need to work on with him because like I said it's going to end up hurting you more in the long run than helping you.

No. I wouldn't be saying that at all. It's bush league and doesn't need to be happening regardless of what player does that. This isn't hating on Hughes. Frankly outside of these plays I've been a big fan of Hughes as he's had a really good season and is finally starting to play like the guy we drafted. With that said this has nothing to do with his performance this has to do with two dirty plays that he doesn't need to be making.

What quarter exactly

What quarter exactly

What does the quarter have to do with it? It's not needed at any point in the game.

The Titans one happened late in the game on a drive where the Titans were driving and if I remember correctly it was when the Colts had stopped them. If the refs throw that flag it keeps a drive alive and maybe changes the out come of that game.

Tonight's game was either in the late third or early fourth. It was the play before Gabbert was knocked out of the game. It kept a Jags drive alive that ended in a Jags TD and gave them 15 free yards. It was stupid and hurt the team. Again if other teams players were doing this to Luck we would be losing our minds and calling them every name in the book. Let's not have a double standard just because Hughes happens to be a Colt.

What does the quarter have to do with it? It's not needed at any point in the game.

The Titans one happened late in the game on a drive where the Titans were driving and if I remember correctly it was when the Colts had stopped them. If the refs throw that flag it keeps a drive alive and maybe changes the out come of that game.

Tonight's game was either in the late third or early fourth. It was the play before Gabbert was knocked out of the game. It kept a Jags drive alive that ended in a Jags TD and gave them 15 free yards. It was stupid and hurt the team. Again if other teams players were doing this to Luck we would be losing our minds and calling them every name in the book. Let's not have a double standard just because Hughes happens to be a Colt.

we all draw different conclusions on plays, I'd like to see the play exactly your talking about thats why I was asking what quarter, QB's are way overprotected these days but like I said I dont remember the exact play

we all draw different conclusions on plays, I'd like to see the play exactly your talking about thats why I was asking what quarter, QB's are way overprotected these days but like I said I dont remember the exact play

There isn't much to draw from it.

The Titans game Hasselbeck was down and starting to get up and Hughes just reaches out and pulls his legs out from under him. It's the play where Hasselbeck was getting in his face and there was good reason for it. There is no justifying it either he simply didn't need to do it.

Tonight Gabbert went back to throw and let the ball go and Hughes comes in well after the pass is gone and leans into him to give him a shot in the shoulder. It was plan as day Hughes went out of his way to lean into him as he was slowing down. Gabbert went down and didn't look right getting up and would come out of the game one play later and when they said he was out they said he had a shoulder injury coming into the game on the same shoulder Hughes hit him on. It wasn't a case of Hughes being blocked into him or Hughes not being able to stop. I don't know if Hughes knew about the injury or not so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there in terms of saying he was targeting an injury but I do think he was just giving a cheap shot he thought he could get away with.

Could that be the reason why the DB took a shot at luck when he was sliding?

TBH though, a lot of teams are taking shots at Luck. There have been several late hits on Luck this year. Could it be that our D is saying you mess with our QB, we mess with yours? Not saying that I am condoning it, although I did appreciate Vaughn's gesture towards Bush last week, but I can't stand Bush for a plethora of reasons.

Regardless, this defense is not going to be the defense of old. IMO our whole attitude on Defense is a lot meaner for lack of a better word. This D seems to me to have a nastier streak in them. I could be wrong but we have drawn far more penalties on D this year than years past. Especially personal Foul. . . . .

TBH though, a lot of teams are taking shots at Luck. There have been several late hits on Luck this year. Could it be that our D is saying you mess with our QB, we mess with yours? Not saying that I am condoning it, although I did appreciate Vaughn's gesture towards Bush last week, but I can't stand Bush for a plethora of reasons.

Regardless, this defense is not going to be the defense of old. IMO our whole attitude on Defense is a lot meaner for lack of a better word. This D seems to me to have a nastier streak in them. I could be wrong but we have drawn far more penalties on D this year than years past. Especially personal Foul. . . . .

I don't think the slide was a shot. If you watch the play just as Luck is going to slide he starts his dive. He also hit Luck in the pads rather than the head. It was the right call by the rule and looked A LOT worse live than it did on replay. He also went right over to Luck on the next play and shook his hand as if to say hey sorry about that. As for hitting Luck in the head that's a product of the NFL rules to protect QBs. I don't think any of the hits Luck has taken from the other team this season when he was throwing were designed to be knock out shots. It's just the guys were trying to make a play and didn't get their head down far enough. It's not pretty but it does happen.

If Hughes was doing those kinds of things I wouldn't have an issue with it. Both of his plays though came well after the play was over and were not products of him trying to make a play it was him going out of his way to do something to the other teams QB that he could have easily avoided.

Again I have no issue with the defense playing nastier and having an attitude but I do have a problem when they start doing bush league things. There is a difference between playing with a mean attitude and being bush league. Hughes has made a couple of bush league plays and those are not needed.

There isn't much to draw from it.

The Titans game Hasselbeck was down and starting to get up and Hughes just reaches out and pulls his legs out from under him. It's the play where Hasselbeck was getting in his face and there was good reason for it. There is no justifying it either he simply didn't need to do it.

Tonight Gabbert went back to throw and let the ball go and Hughes comes in well after the pass is gone and leans into him to give him a shot in the shoulder. It was plan as day Hughes went out of his way to lean into him as he was slowing down. Gabbert went down and didn't look right getting up and would come out of the game one play later and when they said he was out they said he had a shoulder injury coming into the game on the same shoulder Hughes hit him on. It wasn't a case of Hughes being blocked into him or Hughes not being able to stop. I don't know if Hughes knew about the injury or not so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there in terms of saying he was targeting an injury but I do think he was just giving a cheap shot he thought he could get away with.

yeah I just saw the play it was a late hit, of course dont know if Hughes knew about Gabberts shoulder injury. It wasn't a dirty hit to me or a even malicious, at least it didnt look that way to my eyes but dumb decision, I get what your saying and agree, dumb decision but on a positive note outside of that dumb play I am liking what I am seeing out of Hughes this year, 6 starts and 4 sacks out of those 6 starts, I think if he continues working on his pass rush moves he could be a real asset going forward

yeah I just saw the play it was a late hit, of course dont know if Hughes knew about Gabberts shoulder injury. It wasn't a dirty hit to me or a even malicious, at least it didnt look that way to my eyes but dumb decision, I get what your saying and agree, dumb decision but on a positive note outside of that dumb play I am liking what I am seeing out of Hughes this year, 6 starts and 4 sacks out of those 6 starts, I think if he continues working on his pass rush moves he could be a real asset going forward

I agree in terms of his play. That has been very good. I just want the stupid things he doing cleaned up as I would any player for the Colts that is doing stupid things like this.

Jerry is a speed rusher so sometimes he will overpursuit and get knocked on the ground because of it, Freeney is the same way actually, Hughes was on the ground a couple times tonight do to rushing real hard but he got another sack and made two more tackles which were both unassisted so I was definitly pleased with his play, He wont be a Free Agent until the end of 2014 so thats good, we get to see how much he develops in that time frame as a 3-4 OLB to truly see if he can be the full time starter going forward in Mathis role in my opinion

this....wil wolford said he would have started a brawl vs the jets....or at least of found out if maybin was wearing knee braces. not that hughes is retaliating, but the defense should let the offensive line get retribution.

Go, you have NO IDEA why Hughes pulled that QB`s feet. I will bet you there WAS a reason.

When I saw it I thought it was funny and wondered what brought that on. I see guys squaring off after almost EVERY PLAY for Some Reason so why pick on Hughes for that little NO CALL move?

There is a reason Hughes hasn`t measured up to his draft level. Decision making has got to be right up there.

He is fighting for his NFL life now, so what he can control is Max effort all the time and being physical. That is going to be playing on the edge a lot.

We see That multiple times Every Game from guys on both sides, Maybe it was a payback for some dirty prior play. Even from the last time they played.

If Hughes opponent had been very physical with him, holding him too and not being called for it, i could see him thinking the payback for that will be a tough hit if he gets a shot at it. And i could see that being something understood in the lockerroom. A 15 yard penalty with the game not on the line.

But of course he can end up on the Jags future hit list. Along with a couple100 other guys in a season.

Go, you have NO IDEA why Hughes pulled that QB`s feet. I will bet you there WAS a reason.

When I saw it I thought it was funny and wondered what brought that on. I see guys squaring off after almost EVERY PLAY for Some Reason so why pick on Hughes for that little NO CALL move?

There is a reason Hughes hasn`t measured up to his draft level. Decision making has got to be right up there.

He is fighting for his NFL life now, so what he can control is Max effort all the time and being physical. That is going to be playing on the edge a lot.

We see That multiple times Every Game from guys on both sides, Maybe it was a payback for some dirty prior play. Even from the last time they played.

If Hughes opponent had been very physical with him, holding him too and not being called for it, i could see him thinking the payback for that will be a tough hit if he gets a shot at it. And i could see that being something understood in the lockerroom. A 15 yard penalty with the game not on the line.

But of course he can end up on the Jags future hit list. Along with a couple100 other guys in a season.

Why he did it is completely irrelevant based on the fact that he already had Hasselback tackled. To pull his legs out from under him, the QB of all people, when the play had been long over, could have cost the Colts the game HAD he been flagged for that. I believe that was the Titan's last drive as well and it was DEEP in the Colts territory. What he did was completely uncalled for. If I'm not mistaken he was called for a late hit last weekend as well on Tannehil. He's got to do better in keeping his composure. I don't mind him being aggressive however that crap he pulled in against the Titans was wrong. I'm a big fan of Jerry hence the screen name, but the last few weeks he's done some very questionable things, that as a Colts fan and how this organization has been for the last 15 years, I just don't expect to see out of our players.

I don't think the slide was a shot. If you watch the play just as Luck is going to slide he starts his dive. He also hit Luck in the pads rather than the head. It was the right call by the rule and looked A LOT worse live than it did on replay. He also went right over to Luck on the next play and shook his hand as if to say hey sorry about that. As for hitting Luck in the head that's a product of the NFL rules to protect QBs. I don't think any of the hits Luck has taken from the other team this season when he was throwing were designed to be knock out shots. It's just the guys were trying to make a play and didn't get their head down far enough. It's not pretty but it does happen.

If Hughes was doing those kinds of things I wouldn't have an issue with it. Both of his plays though came well after the play was over and were not products of him trying to make a play it was him going out of his way to do something to the other teams QB that he could have easily avoided.

Again I have no issue with the defense playing nastier and having an attitude but I do have a problem when they start doing bush league things. There is a difference between playing with a mean attitude and being bush league. Hughes has made a couple of bush league plays and those are not needed.

Of course we dont want Luck to get hit and if it looks dirty we fans are going to complain about it, Because we are fans lol. I kinda like the attitude Hughes has we have been such a lay down nonaggressive defence in the past and I dont care if it was cheap. Look at all the Great defensive players in the past they all do it. If im the coach I would never ever coach a player to do it but would love the pitbull attitude. If its bad enough the refs will call it and the league will fine them for it. But dont ever try to take the Football out of these guys. Look at the Cardinals at the end of the Giants game. The only time I would get upset with it is if cost us the game.

Why he did it is completely irrelevant based on the fact that he already had Hasselback tackled. To pull his legs out from under him, the QB of all people, when the play had been long over, could have cost the Colts the game HAD he been flagged for that. I believe that was the Titan's last drive as well and it was DEEP in the Colts territory. What he did was completely uncalled for. If I'm not mistaken he was called for a late hit last weekend as well on Tannehil. He's got to do better in keeping his composure. I don't mind him being aggressive however that crap he pulled in against the Titans was wrong. I'm a big fan of Jerry hence the screen name, but the last few weeks he's done some very questionable things, that as a Colts fan and how this organization has been for the last 15 years, I just don't expect to see out of our players.

Why not. its a new era. the Colts are not the same.

Why not. its a new era. the Colts are not the same.

Cheap shots AREN'T a part of the game and aren't necessary. I especially don't want to see it out of our players either. You can still be aggressive and physical without doing what Hughes has done. I could give a D**N whether its the new, old, or future Colts, play like you have some sense. You don't see Mathis or Freeney pulling that crap.

Cheap shots AREN'T a part of the game and aren't necessary. I especially don't want to see it out of our players either. You can still be aggressive and physical without doing what Hughes has done. I could give a D**N whether its the new, old, or future Colts, play like you have some sense. You don't see Mathis or Freeney pulling that crap.

Have you ever been in the trenches or at the bottom of the pile? I dont believe you have. Let me explain it gets dirty down there and you have to be a tough physical player to play in those positions. I love the attitude didnt Hasselback gloat after the Td pass maybe hughes was sending him a message. Only if you knew the stuff that happens down there you would be so surprised.

I "watch" the same game you do, so save it. Pulling the legs out of a QB long after the play is over isn't called for. You are obviously missing the point. He's pulling this crap with the QB's. If he's got a problem with the O-line he needs to take it with them NOT the QB. Again, and as GOCOLTS stated, what he did in Tenn could have cost the Colts the game. Luckily there was no flag and the Titans had to kick a FG.

Being a LB in the 3-4, you have to be nasty and get after the QB because most of the time, the offensive line is going to hold you for most of the offensive plays.

I remember plenty of times during the Jets game that the Jets D would do late hit after late hit on Luck. And all I could say was that is what a Rex Ryan defense does.

Hughes does have to play smart and determined, not play angry. Unless that is Manusky wants from him. He just can't cost us penalties on defense.

I am sure once he gets called for plays like that coaches will tell him to stop. I am just glad that he is actually getting to the QB, whether late or not because it is more than Freeney so far.

I "watch" the same game you do, so save it. Pulling the legs out of a QB long after the play is over isn't called for. You are obviously missing the point. He's pulling this crap with the QB's. If he's got a problem with the O-line he needs to take it with them NOT the QB. Again, and as GOCOLTS stated, what he did in Tenn could have cost the Colts the game. Luckily there was no flag and the Titans had to kick a FG.

I dont want him costing us games either and he hasnt. Football is getting away from what it was created to be and no Im not missing the point I just have my own views on it. You can look at it many different ways I see it as trying to be aggressive it didnt get called so big freaking deal. Alot of defensive line players have had a late hits. What about the offside penalty on Freeney that could have been a game changer or the pass interference call and even the false starts. Come on dont just single a player out. And telling me to save it on a forum where your supposed to talk and discuss this stuff well maybe you should go start you own forum where your opinion is the only one that matters!

I can't believe so many on here are glorifying dirty play. There's no room for it in the NFL at all, regardless of whether you want your guys to play tough or not. Imagine how the other team and their fans feel when they see their QB get hit late. It's just unnecessary.

I cant help but picture a "smart monster" as a big olger with books under both arms!..lol..but agree, 2 great points you made