Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still too conservative

BProland85

As quite a few posters said, the Colts needed to get better at running the ball and with a lead the best thing to do is run the clock down and give the defense a rest. The Colts will be passing alot against New England, that is a guarentee, but being a balanced attack against New England is very important and being able to run the ball makes the Colts much more difficult to defend. People have been complaining about the Colts running too much, but it is finally paying off and it hasn't been a waste of time. If the Colts never worked on their run game and remained a one dimensional offense, New England would have a much easier time defending them. Luck has gotten plenty of passing reps, heck from what I know, more than any other rookie QB, I am sure he hasn't forgotten how to pass. I also expect a completely different gameplan against New England.

What you are saying I can understand, but it means nothing if we can not finish drives with TD when we get in that Red Zone. It is a weak point for us, and it is going to cost us against quality football teams. We should be one of the highest scoring teams in the league if you count the amount of Red Zone trips we have almost every game. But we are not because we either turn the ball over in the Red Zone, or we get field goals. We need to capitalize when we get down there, so we can put our foot down when it matters most. That's what Super Bowl teams do, and we have to adopt the same habits. With these extra days before the Patriots game, I hope Arians puts extra emphasis on Red Zone execution. We need to score points because the opportunities are there.

You make a good point. Yes, a win is a win, but if we are going to be a playoff team, then we need to finish like one. You can't stall out when you're so close to putting up a TD.

Before I get started, I know that college and pro are two different levels of competition, but certain principles still apply. When I watch great college coaches like Saban, I see them striving for perfection even when the game is in the bag. I'm not talking about running up the score, I'm talking about execution. When someone misses a defensive assignment, or a blocking assignment he immediately talks to that player about the mistake. He is always teaching and practicing for the next game.

Right now, the Colts need to practice finishing in the red zone, even when the game is won. That needs to be the focus for the offense and the OC.

This is a legitimate criticism, and one I agree with.

WOW, just WOW! In a yr. where just about everybody predicted we would lose about every game and look really bad doing so, and yet, were 6-3, second in the division, the surprise of the league, and in the hunt for the playoffs, but every week people find something to whine and complain about. Every Colt fan should be ecstatic with our team and how well they have played.