Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still too conservative

BProland85

Im happy we won, but I thought we should have blown these guys out. 20 points by the offense and only 6 points in the 2nd half worries me that Arians is still too conservative with his playcalling.

What happened to letting Luck loose like in the Green Bay and Miami games? He is our best weapon, so we need to use him. But a win is a win.

Im happy we won, but I thought we should have blown these guys out. 20 points by the offense and only 6 points in the 2nd half worries me that Arians is still too conservative with his playcalling.

What happened to letting Luck loose like in the Green Bay and Miami games? He is our best weapon, so we need to use him. But a win is a win.

You have to keep in mind that we're missing a lot of starters on both sides of the ball. "You play to win the game" We did.

I'm glad we won, but I'm tired of us not finishing drives in the red zone. The offense really only scored 14 points, when we should have scored around 28, or more. It's going to come back and bite us at some point. We have to get better in the red zone. Good win though!

Dude we didn`t play well enough to EARN that lead. Guess you were not watching.

Linkenboob is GUARANTEED to cause damage, he will be the one to get Luck injured. He is sad at tackle. What is new?

Shipley is only decent at Center, he isn`t fast enough to get outside and make the outside blocks.

1) We beat them by 17 in their house. That's a blowout by NFL standards.

2) Offensively, we still need to develop our run game and offensive balance because there's times where we won't be able to drop Luck back 50 times and win. Running well doesn't happen automatically, we have to put the reps in. So far, it's working- our run blocking is significantly better than it was the first few games.

Dont know what let Luck loose means but Im more interested right now with our Corner controversy, as for how Link played at Right Tackle, he is who we thought he was there so not concerned, he should be moved back to Guard, Justice was out so not concerned

why throw up 35 or 42 points??? we were up 27-3 we pretty much had their hearts ripped out already. no sense in risking luck getting hurt. he was already hit pretty hard a couple times that resulted in penalties no need to put him in harms way in dropping back to pass. and dont worry you will get your air attack next weekend against new england.

They weren't conservative at all. They turned the ball over and didn't finish drives. If anything, they should have been more conservative in a few of those situations, played for FGs and put the game away sooner.

6-3 is great, but in order to beat playoff teams, they must start finishing drives. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team drive up and down the field more with less to show for it.

what im enjoying is watching this butler kid. where the heck did he come from??? 2 INT's one taken for a TD, and a fumble recovery??? thats just crazy. he had more turn overs tonight himself then the whole colts team has had in the last month. how about putting Butler and davis as the two starting CB's and powers as the nickel??? lol

They weren't conservative at all. They turned the ball over and didn't finish drives. If anything, they should have been more conservative in a few of those situations, played for FGs and put the game away sooner.

6-3 is great, but in order to beat playoff teams, they must start finishing drives. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team drive up and down the field more with less to show for it.

It's ABSOLUTELY imperative we start finishing these drives with TDs instead of turnovers and field goals. Against teams like New England and Houston it will cost us the game.

Who cares we won. This offense is not a well oiled machine by any means and probably won't be this year. The Oline is not good enough. The young WRs drop too many passes. As long as we win I'll take it at this point.

There are still protection issues and Mandrew uses his pocket prowess to erase a lot of it. This is not the best situation to be airing it out. What should be appreciated, rather than questioning it is.....

We ran the ball to kill time and to finish the game which is something we use to wish we could do! Out....freaking.....standing.

You have to keep in mind that we're missing a lot of starters on both sides of the ball. "You play to win the game" We did.

Not only that but that was our largest winning margin of the season. With that said the offense scored three points in the second half that's not going to work in New England and some of the better teams we have coming up. I don't think that's due to being too conservative. It's due to being a young team that is still learning how to finish drives and still makes too many mistakes.

If we are up big, I don't mind us going conservative. As long as we don't get too complacent and let the other team back in it, I have no problem reducing the playbook and getting other guys in for more experience. That way, we develop players more and we expose less of the playbook to other teams. We have more surprise plays that they haven't seen before that we can break out when we really need them

If we are up big, I don't mind us going conservative. As long as we don't get too complacent and let the other team back in it, I have no problem reducing the playbook and getting other guys in for more experience. That way, we develop players more and we expose less of the playbook to other teams. We have more surprise plays that they haven't seen before that we can break out when we really need them

It may just be me, but it seems that we actually Try to pick up the first down on those time killing possesions when we are up instead of running 3 times for no gain, puntting, and hoping the D holds......... like we used to do.

We mixed it up last night and the lead allowed us to run the ball more and not depend on the passing game as much. My one criticism is the use of the WR screen....it rarely works and teams are always ready for it. I know if you get that one key block it can go for a big gain, but that block doesn't seem to happen. I like all the motion on offense prior to the snap, the different formations and our RB rotation. The one play that almost broke for a huge gain was the end around to Hilton...would like to see us take advantage of his speed more. Alas, I'm not a coach and don't pretend to be one. I know every play is designed to work, but defenses prepare to stop those plays, too. The more different looks you can show, the better the chance of a couple of them resulting in huge gains, or TDs.

Dont know what let Luck loose means but Im more interested right now with our Corner controversy, as for how Link played at Right Tackle, he is who we thought he was there so not concerned, he should be moved back to Guard, Justice was out so not concerned

I think he wants Luck to throw it 60+ Times a Game, cause obviously 40-45 isn't enough for him

We literally DISMANTLED the Jags on all 3 Phases today. Offense, Defense, & Special Teams. I don't think it was Conservative with that long Drive we had late in the Game.

Arians said at Halftime he was gonna "Stomp on the Jags Throat" & I believe he did that. We ran the ball very effectively & held the ball for a Good period of time. That T.O.P. of ours speaks for itself

Correctomundy, oh wise sage...

Keep your foot on the gas...on both sides of the ball...

You're joking, right? Why would we continue to air it out with a double digit lead? We had 2 long, time consuming drives in the 2nd half that all but ending the Jags chances of mounting a comeback. The only thing I'd like to see them do more of is finish the drives and stop settling for FG's. That will all come with time. I didn't have a problem with the game management last night, at all. Pass to score, run to win. That's what we did and we won. End of story

I'm glad we won, but I'm tired of us not finishing drives in the red zone. The offense really only scored 14 points, when we should have scored around 28, or more. It's going to come back and bite us at some point. We have to get better in the red zone. Good win though!

You make a good point. Yes, a win is a win, but if we are going to be a playoff team, then we need to finish like one. You can't stall out when you're so close to putting up a TD.

Before I get started, I know that college and pro are two different levels of competition, but certain principles still apply. When I watch great college coaches like Saban, I see them striving for perfection even when the game is in the bag. I'm not talking about running up the score, I'm talking about execution. When someone misses a defensive assignment, or a blocking assignment he immediately talks to that player about the mistake. He is always teaching and practicing for the next game.

Right now, the Colts need to practice finishing in the red zone, even when the game is won. That needs to be the focus for the offense and the OC.

It's ABSOLUTELY imperative we start finishing these drives with TDs instead of turnovers and field goals. Against teams like New England and Houston it will cost us the game.

As quite a few posters said, the Colts needed to get better at running the ball and with a lead the best thing to do is run the clock down and give the defense a rest. The Colts will be passing alot against New England, that is a guarentee, but being a balanced attack against New England is very important and being able to run the ball makes the Colts much more difficult to defend. People have been complaining about the Colts running too much, but it is finally paying off and it hasn't been a waste of time. If the Colts never worked on their run game and remained a one dimensional offense, New England would have a much easier time defending them. Luck has gotten plenty of passing reps, heck from what I know, more than any other rookie QB, I am sure he hasn't forgotten how to pass. I also expect a completely different gameplan against New England.

Sorry, but with all respect, this kind of post makes no sense to me. We are not running a June Jones run and shoot. It was a perfectly called game....maybe not perfectly executed, but perfectly called. For whatever reason, we now have a running game, so why not use it, especially when you're up and don't need to fling it as much? Luck threw the ball 26 times. That's plenty.

we woudl have blown them out but costly turnovers and bad mistakes...it seemed to me like we had good long drives and then we just failled from 40 yard - redzone...either fumble, INT, drop, penatly etc.

it looked to me like we could have scored at least 10 more points but we didnt get them...signs of ayoung team which is fine since we are a young team