Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Butler

Playoffs2013

They dealt with Peyton Manning, who is considered an MVP candidate by many. How much more real can a QB get?

I guess we'll find out. In sports, there's always someone that can achieve more. That's why people love it. If it wasnt possible to do better, the nfl would be in trouble.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he played great last night. Better then any thing we have seen in recent past games. Butler will become a solid corner and I hope its with the Colts. I dont understand when people say well its just the Qb we are playing and I dont believe Gabbert is Great or anything but give Butler some credit he played like a corner should better then any of the Colts corners as of late. But I also do not want to over hype him either. I hope he continues to grow.

Butler is a great CB, and he does generate turnovers, but the problem with him, which is why he was cut from his last teams, is that he was too aggressive, trying to jump routes, and then he gets burned. We saw a play just like that in the 4th Quarter.

FWIW I Still think it should be Butler and Davis on the outside, with Powers in the nickel.

Butler is a great CB, and he does generate turnovers, but the problem with him, which is why he was cut from his last teams, is that he was too aggressive, trying to jump routes, and then he gets burned. We saw a play just like that in the 4th Quarter.

FWIW I Still think it should be Butler and Davis on the outside, with Powers in the nickel.

I would take him getting burnt on routes and actually trying to make plays on the ball than sit off the LOS 10 yards and get dink and dunked to death. The safety's should be giving him help anyways. I will take Butlers aggressive play all day. He put himself in position to make plays and he made them.

Besides if they do get burnt the ball goes right back into Luck's hands.

Not really. They were both terrible throws. Gabbert might as well have sent Butler a text before the game telling him that pass was coming.

Not trying to take anything away from Butler. It's a huge deal that he had two picks for us tonight. I'm happy for him, and I don't think he played poorly at all. But the picks were supreme examples of poor quarterbacking.

I agree, it isn't like they were going against Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I thought it was impressive because our defense should have more INTs but they drop them and Butler was the only one on the team to actually bring them in.

Butler had a great game. He makes Powers look like garbage. I bet you Powers toe magically heals itself pretty quickly after that. Regardless, Butler should get ALOT more reps if not the starting job. Power should play nickel as well.

Also, Vaughn needs to stop with the little dances after his receiver doesn't catch the ball. I'm really tired of the celebrations he does like he actually did something to make a play besides get hit in the helmet with the ball.

They didn't really deal with Peyton. Peyton was 31 of 44 for 3 TDs 0 INTs and 337 yards and a QB rating of 115.4 that game. It's not like they shut him down.

The popular saying around here lately: It's the win that counts. I know they didn't shut him down, that would be preposterous considering that defense lol.

I guess we'll find out. In sports, there's always someone that can achieve more. That's why people love it. If it wasnt possible to do better, the nfl would be in trouble.

You're measuring a statue and a clay mold, but okay, I guess I get the gist of what you're saying.

I agree, it isn't like they were going against Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I thought it was impressive because our defense should have more INTs but they drop them and Butler was the only one on the team to actually bring them in.

Interestingly enough, Butler played for the patriots for two years.. I'm sure he has picked Brady off numerous times in practice.

Butler definitely has the talent and I believe Gillhamer can turn him into a quality, consistent back. Coaching is everything sometimes.

I agree with this, look at Tim Jennings....I hated him for us. I thought he was horrible. Look at him in Chicago? He is a stud at times!

Hey since our corners had one pick all season (Freeman had the other one) coming into the game I'll take them. Honestly most picks are poor decisions and poor throws by the QB because if it was a good decision and a good throw it wouldn't get picked in the first place. Credit to Butler and the Colts coaches for being aggressive and recognizing that the Jags were not going deep at all. With that said the last one wasn't so much a bad decision as it was a great job of the Colts getting their hands up at the line and doing the tip drill to keep it alive.

That's the smartest statement in this entire thread. People somehow belittling his interceptions just because they came off of Jacksonville QB's is ridiculous. Just like GoColts said, virtually every interception thrown is a result of a bad decision from the QB, it don't matter who the QB is.

That's the smartest statement in this entire thread. People somehow belittling his interceptions just because they came off of Jacksonville QB's is ridiculous. Just like GoColts said, virtually every interception thrown is a result of a bad decision from the QB, it don't matter who the QB is.

Eh, not every interception. I'm not downgrading anything that happened last night but if a QB's pass is tipped by his own wideout or RB and is picked off, it is not his fault. Same goes for balls that are batted up at the line of scrimmage, or freak plays like that ball that bounced off of a player's knee and into the defender's hand a few years ago, the unlucky team of which shall remained unnamed lol. Just saying that it's not always the quarterback's fault.

I agree with this, look at Tim Jennings....I hated him for us. I thought he was horrible. Look at him in Chicago? He is a stud at times!

Yeah, typically every Sunday lol. Jennings is playing at an All-Pro level, which he deserves props for. I don't think anyone thought he had that in him.

Eh, not every interception. I'm not downgrading anything that happened last night but if a QB's pass is tipped by his own wideout or RB and is picked off, it is not his fault. Same goes for balls that are batted up at the line of scrimmage, or freak plays like that ball that bounced off of a player's knee and into the defender's hand a few years ago, the unlucky team of which shall remained unnamed lol. Just saying that it's not always the quarterback's fault.

Well, that's why I said "virtually". Of which, my definition of virtually means "Almost but not quite"(I stole that out of websters).

Now Butler is the new "Vaughn".... until HE, himself, has a bad game and someone like Josh Gordy plays well, to which someone will start a new thread about Gordy being our starter opposite Davis

Yep Butler is the flavor of the week!!! But it is easier to press and play aggressive when you know the playcalling is like that for a Chad Pennington type offense, so you can tee off.

When you have Gronk and Brandon Lloyd and shifty Wes Welker underneath with Hernandez too, more zone would become necessary, IMO. Play man on Wes Welker, and play zone on the rest, IMO, would be the best way to contain the Pats. Less yards after catch that the Pats thrive on is a big key to limiting their offense to less than 30 pts, which would be a great feat for our D.

Give the kid credit he's played well and Gordy has too

Interesting to see how that changes the nickel and possibly the 2nd starting spot because of how awful powers has been. But then again Jax is no New England or Green Bay.

But that was the game Thursday..we had 2 backup corners..and if they exposed them, we lose..,.,

Good game....not great.but enough to win.

Man oh Man i am loving this Butler signing more and more. He has the potential to become i great corner for us he is very physical playing man (which we need), and he has amazing feet. It is crazy to think that he had all the turnovers for us last night. I also am very impressed with Gordy's play as well, it is going to be interesting to see how the secondary pan's out when Vontae and Power's returns. Butler looks as if he is thriving on the Left side which is the side Power's start's on. Great to see this Defense getting fired up and forcing Turnovers.

Butler had a nice jumped route that led to a pick six. I will not take that away from him. Everyone really needs to temper their expecations a little bit. Powers is not a bum, Butler is not a god.

I've always been impressed with Powers play the last couple years and so have most of you. He has not transitioned as well as we had hoped to the 3-4, but there are a lot of factors that you might not be away of. Powers and Davis will be starting once they are back and healthy.

For scientific purposes I might be interesting to record all the people who claim what a beast Butler is this week, and compare it to the people who claim he is a bum once he gets picked on next week at NE.

At least we are collecting solid depth. In Grigson We Trust. #chuckstrong

Butler brings 2 things to the table that Powers does not, 1.obviously he is not afraid to jump a route and go for a pick and 2. he appears to have mor physicality in his pinky then Powers does in his whole body, Butler should be #2 just better all around skill set. Thats not to say but Butler in and that will be the end of it but we have a better chance of making some noise in the secondary with Butler in

I'm not trying to belittle his interceptions. I'm just saying that I didn't think they were great plays, or even the result of great coverage.

One good thing about Mayock is that he has watched all of these NFL players in college, on tape and at combines. The NFL is soooo popular and there are so many sports programs, fans get tired of hype and want x's and o's or insight as to what is going on in this kid's life. Players like Butler, who have the talent and ability, just disappear into the night on a regular basis and we fans don't know why. Mayock relating to Butler that this might be his last chance in the NFL is really good insight.

Fantastic game from him!!

2 picks, and shut down the guy he went against (he went against Blackmon for the most part, but went against Shorts too).

This kid is a keeper. Definitely better than Vaughn, who had another bad performance.

I keep reading this and went back to watch the game. They both were targeted about the same amount of time and gave up about the same number of receptions. Vaughn actually defended more passes ( 4-1), though Butler got the int. Most of the receptions were given up when they went prevent and were giving the receivers 10 yards of cushion. When the game was in doubt and they were playing up on the receiver, Vaughn allowed only 2 receptions. I don't know why folks are so down on him.