Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Down

not sure why everyone is obsessed with trading down. the colts received a 24 yr old corner in exchange for that 2rd pick...it's not like it disappeared. and nobody knows how the comp picks will sort out. not that there would be anything wrong with trading down, just depends who is available when the colts pick.

We're obsessed because all we have for sure that we know of are 3 picks. A 1, 3, 4. That's it.

We likely will pick up a 5 for Garcon.

I think in need of as much talent as we are needs more young talent. The only way to get that young talent is trading down and picking up more picks.

The OP's comment that the 2014 draft is much stronger is the first I've heard of it.... can ColtsGuy 510 tell me where he heard that claim? I'd love to know. If true, I'd consider it. Or, at least, I wouldn't rule it out.

That said, you've got to find a team willing to do that. Give up a #2 in 2013, and a #1 next year (and more?) to get the Colt's #1 in 2013. That is likely much easier to say here on the Internet than it is to make happen in real life.

It's certainly peeked my curiosity......

We're obsessed because all we have for sure that we know of are 3 picks. A 1, 3, 4. That's it.

I think in need of as much talent as we are needs more young talent. The only way to get that young talent is trading down and picking up more picks.

The OP's comment that the 2014 draft is much stronger is the first I've heard of it.... can ColtsGuy 510 tell me where he heard that claim? I'd love to know. If true, I'd consider it. Or, at least, I wouldn't rule it out.

That said, you've got to find a team willing to do that. Give up a #2 in 2013, and a #1 next year (and more?) to get the Colt's #1 in 2013. That is likely much easier to say here on the Internet than it is to make happen in real life.

nobody knows what we are getting for garcon, although it prolly will be a 4th or a 5th...or any other players the colts lost. and like i said, the 2nd rounder just didn't vanish, the colts actually got a very young cb in exchange. and trading down isn't the only way to get young talent, there is free agency and the colts have a ton of money.

nobody knows what we are getting for garcon, although it prolly will be a 4th or a 5th...or any other players the colts lost. and like i said, the 2nd rounder just didn't vanish, the colts actually got a very young cb in exchange. and trading down isn't the only way to get young talent, there is free agency and the colts have a ton of money.

Free Agency is the other way.... but I just don't see us showing up in New York for a draft, making 4 picks, (the 1, 3, 4 and the Garcon pick) and just going home after that. I could be wrong, but I don't see that scenario playing out. I think we'll trade down and perhaps even multiple times.

Honestly, as the evaluation period goes on, I'm more and more concerned that this will not be a great year for either the Free Agency or the Draft. Hope I'm wrong, and things will change in the months to come as more information is known.... but as of now, I'm a bit skeptical of what I'm seeing....

As much as I'm enjoying this unexpected season, part of me is very, very curious about this up-coming off-season. But, then again, I'm wired differently....

:thmup:

Most of the top players from this draft are juniors and may come back for next year. Next years draft could also include Marquis Lee, Jadaveon Clowney, Stephon Tuitt, Austin Sephrarium Jenkins, Sammy Watkins, Kenny Ladier, Aaron Lynch, Cyrus Kouandjio, Braxton Miller, Anthony Johnson, and Marcus Roberson

The Pats traded late out of the first in 2011 and got a future first in return.

Not a big fan of doing that seeing as how we wont know whats going to be in that future first or where in that future first would be, we need that first now

not sure why everyone is obsessed with trading down. the colts received a 24 yr old corner in exchange for that 2rd pick...it's not like it disappeared. and nobody knows how the comp picks will sort out. not that there would be anything wrong with trading down, just depends who is available when the colts pick.

I share your thoughts on this. Davis is more than likely a greater or equal value than/to any 2nd round pick we would have in the upcoming draft. The idea of trading down is nice to some degree, but it's becoming a non-factor as our season record gets better. If the draft were today, we'd be picking in the 20's and that's not a position of leverage for an additional 2nd round pick. The best thing for the Colts at this point is to use the 1st round pick on the best possible player available and hit free agency to fill holes until 2014.

i am all for trading downt o get our 2nd pick back since i think we are not 2 players away from being real sb contenders, so i want a trade down to get more players...however i can see us, if we have a top 10 pick(which seems less likely), sticking to it, drafting a top player and trade down a future 1st rounder to get our 2nd pick back. i dont think thats out of the question since i dont think in the next draft we would be having a top 10 pick

The Pats traded late out of the first in 2011 and got a future first in return.

Different team, different circumstances. They're a team loaded with talent. That gives the Pats the leeway to build for the future while at the same time building for the present.

We're building for the NOW.

The only reason I don't rule it out for the Colts is the possibility that this might not be a very good draft and the 2014 draft might be very good. I don't know, but I'm speculating.

Maybe Grigson thinks the strength of the 2013 draft is not in the first round but in rounds 2, or 3, or 4. Again, I don't know. But that has happened before. Most famously in '86. Walsh and the 49ers traded down roughly a half-dozen times, picking up more picks in lower rounds of that draft while also adding a 1 and a 2 in the '87 draft. So, it can happen. It's just not done very often.

Agreed that if we're picking in the 20's because, hypothetically, we win 10 games and reach the playoffs, then it will be next to impossible to trade out of the first round and get some teams #1 the following year.

But.... I'd consider.... (and I'm saying now that this would not be very popular here) that I'd consider trading to the top of the 2nd round and getting a 2, 3 and a 5 for giving up our 1. (I can already here the screams of 'Nooooooooo!!)

Here's why.... I've read that the draft is considered deep, but without any real elite talent at the top. OK.

That tells me that, hypothetically, the player at pick 35 might have roughly the same grade as the player at pick 25. So, if you think you can get just as good a player 10 spots lower, trade back and get more picks, the added 3 and 5.

To be clear, I'm not saying do that.... (at least, as of right now).... all I'm saying is I'd consider it.... it would be a draft day trade down based on how the 1st round unfolds and who is taken and who is left and how our board looks.... all factors I don't know...

Just thinking out loud now.... (always dangerous, I know!) :thmup:

Don't let the haul the Rams got for the #2 pick fool you- it's cheaper to move up than it was before the new CBA was signed, so teams moving down don't get as much. I don't think there's any chance we'd pick up a 2014 1st and a 2nd rounder for giving up the 22 spot.

Our best bet is to go BPA, with priority given to the O-line and D-liner if there's a tie.