Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coltnorth

Could Mathis play Freeneys Role?

coltnorth    58

I'm wondering if Mathis could take over the rush linebacker role if Freeney goes down again this year or if Freeney doesn't come back next year. Hughes seems to play so much better in Mathis's role than he does in Freeneys. Might be a way of maximizing team strength. Before people jump all over me here, I'm not saying take Freeney out. This is just in a hypothetical situation where Freeney isn't playing.

TKnight24    9,987

I haven't really seen any of our Games like that this year (due to where I am on the US Map) so I can't really say who would be better or anything

Gavin    7,030

If Freeney is out I think that should happen, Hughes has shown some pass rush ability and has some sacks this year but he is better then either Mathis or Freeney in roaming around for tackles although Mathis has proved to be alright at it to

GoColts8818    7,288

Maybe they look at it in the off-season but this year I think you leave Mathis where he's at he's thriving there. No need to mess that up. Honestly it wouldn't shock me if we let Freeney walk and then either use our first round pick or some of our free agent money to go get a 3-4 rush linebacker.

Superman    27,231

I think Robert Mathis could stop a bullet with his bare hands if he put his mind to it. He'd thrive wherever we ask him to play in this system. And the good thing about the OLB spots in this hybrid defense is that they can be interchangeable when you have players like Mathis. He can be the rush linebacker for one series, and then play the strongside spot the next series.

If we were using Mathis and Hughes predominantly, I'd rather have Mathis at the rush spot, because he's better at it than Hughes, and because Hughes seems more capable in the strongside spot.

lollygagger8    6,724

I don't see Freeney and his $14M contract coming back next year. Leave Mathis where he is, rework Hughes contract (ALOT) and rotate them, and find another OLB through FA to take over Feeney's spot.

GoColts8818    7,288

I don't see Freeney and his $14M contract coming back next year. Leave Mathis where he is, rework Hughes contract (ALOT) and rotate them, and find another OLB through FA to take over Feeney's spot.

I don't think Freeney is getting a 14 million dollar contract from anyone next year. If he is willing to take a Reggie type deal to come back I am okay with it. With that said I am not going to be blown away when I read on twitter Freeney has signed with someone else but I still expect it to be below 14 million.

Superman    27,231

Rework Hughes' contract? How? And more importantly, why? He has a $1.9m cap hit in 2013, and a $2.1m cap hit in 2014. No significant base salary or bonuses. Accounts for about 1.6% of the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jerry-hughes/

ProblChld32    486

I think that Mathis can defiantly take over Freeny's role as they swap sides sometimes and when ever Freeny is out Mathis has taken over his duties before so it has been done already. I also do agree that Hughes does perform better when he is rushing from the left side.