Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jags plan to air it out versus colts

Stephen

I promise a shoot out favors Indy ... I hope Jax goes for it... Indy is more talented and HEALTHY on O.

Who has the better QB?

People look at his raw stats and dismiss him. I'm glad someone else finally brings this up.

It would be stupid for them not to try to air it out on us with all the injuries in our secondary.

On a side note, maybe we'll have a clint session sighting this Thursday night. If there is we can all point and laugh hysterically at him...

He would not be the first player to ever lose his career to concussions. Kinda mean ... He was a very good player for Indy. Just glad Jax gave him all the dough and not Indy.

I feel bad for him.

Blaine Gabbert isn't that bad.

Seriously. Stop laughing.

He struggles deep into his progressions; in other words, if his first or second option isn't open, he doesn't really know what to do with the ball. So if I were the Jags, my objective would be to try to get my outside receivers open right away, especially with the Colts top two corners out with injuries. If Blackmon and Shorts can run some quick slants, Gabbert can get the ball to them. If they can get Lewis open up the seam or outside the numbers, he can pick up some yards and catches on our linebackers. The key is to get receivers open quickly, and the last five quarterbacks we've played have done a great job on quick routes. Rodgers was 62.5%, Sanchez was 61%, Weeden was 58.5% but started out 13/17, Hasselbeck was 75.9%, and Tannehill was 57.9% but had his streaks against us, and threw for nearly 300 yards. Our defense is susceptible to the pass, even against the likes of Blaine Gabbert, who has a decent arm and can throw it accurately when there's no pressure.

The other thing about Gabbert is that he has limited awareness inside the pocket. Being a spread quarterback in college, five step drops are not native to him. Or, I should say, what he does after the drop, especially if his receivers aren't immediately open. Good pocket quarterbacks know how to move around within the pocket to avoid the pass rush, and stand tall and make throws down the field. Luck did a tremendous job of this against the Dolphins. Tony Romo did a terrible job of this against the Falcons. Gabbert is prone to taking bad sacks, breaking down, and wilting under pressure. This was the biggest criticism of him last season, and it's probably why he's fumbled 18 times in 23 games. But again, if the Jags receivers can get open quickly -- and I'm not confident that we'll be able to prevent this from happening -- Gabbert can get them the ball.

Our defense is also susceptible to screen passes and play action fakes, which might allow Gabbert some chances to get the ball down the field a few times.

So I'm seriously serious when I say -- very seriously -- that I would NOT surprise me if Blaine Gabbert has a good game against us. If the Jags coaches put together a game plan that neutralizes our pass rush and keeps Gabbert comfortable, they actually could air it out tomorrow night. Blackmon has been coming on; Shorts hurt us last time; Lewis is a good tight end. And we haven't forced a turnover in a month.

was having a good laugh until you got all logical about it... i was dismissing your arguments right up until an image flashed in my mind of Cecil Shorts splitting our secondary for the game winner a few weeks back.... now my laughter is on the nervous side

Why would it not be as good as Sunday ? The Dolphins was leading the league on 3rd down defense and the Colts did very well, I doubt the jags defense will be as tough.

Tough to replicate that kind of success. It just doesn't happen often. Plus its on the road. THey're all NFL teams. No easy outs

No MJD and we have backup CBs in. That's exactly what I would expect them to say, but executing it is a whole other issue. I'm sure they will have some success, probably more than they usually do, but our air attack will make it a non-issue.

No MJD and we have backup CBs in. That's exactly what I would expect them to say, but executing it is a whole other issue. I'm sure they will have some success, probably more than they usually do, but our air attack will make it a non-issue.

assuming they actually show up to play the colts should win

Here's the thing....If the Jags plan on airing it out, I hope that they are not successful. Not just because that would mean that they would have a shot at winning, but because they have struggled mightily to air it out with Blaine Gabbert against everyone else. I would hate to be the one and only team that Blaine can have a good game against.

He's ranked 30th in pass yards, and the only players with less yards are QBs who haven't started all of their team's games. I think good teams win the games that they're supposed to win. I know "any given Sunday," but we have a shot at the playoffs. We can't take this game lightly. We need to take care of business and put this team away.