Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happens if the Jags move?

SteelCityColt

I'm asking this more out of curiosity then any firm belief that it would happen, but if the Jags were to up sticks to LA what happens to the AFC South? I take it that they wouldn't stay in it?

In that case is their any rules as to who gets moved into the division, I was just thinking with the Texans on a decent run and ourselves looking like we could be competitive sooner than expected, would throwing a 3rd decent team into the mix make life somewhat harder. I know we don't have that great a record against the Jags but I'd still rather have them then some AFC teams.

The jags moving to a new city wouldnt automatically move them out of our division. They would remain in our division until the nfl decided to do another realignment.

Not sure if you remember but for many years the phoenix/ arizona cardinals were in the nfc east.

:)

The jags moving to a new city wouldnt automatically move them out of our division. They would remain in our division until the nfl decided to do another realignment.

Not sure if you remember but for many years the phoenix/ arizona cardinals were in the nfc east.

I'm slowly trying to teach myself the history of the NFL (and previous incarnations) and the divisions but there's a fair bit to take in! Saying that I still at least would have a fair idea of which team is in which division unlike some of the newer QBs in the league!

If the Jags move to LA, they go to the AFC West (so Peyton can beat them up again :), double whippin' :)) and the Chiefs come to the AFC South.

Makes the most sense geographically and from an AFC perspective without affecting major rivalries.

Chiefs/Raiders and Chiefs/Broncos are some of the oldest and most intense rivalries in the league. In fact, as far as classic rivalries go, they might be the top 2 in the AFC.

More likely would be the Rams coming to the AFC South, Jags to the NFC West.

my opinion i think we should be AFC North:

East:

Baltimore

New York

New England

Buffalo

North:

Cinci

Cleveland

Indianapolis

Pittsburgh

South:

Houston

Jax

Miami

Tenn.

West:

Denver

KC

Oakland

San Diego

but then they would say that takes away from the ravens steelers rivalry ( i dont see how, they can still play each other every year look at indy and new england)

but there has been talk that Jacksonville could move to london if the NFL approves a team there. which would really hurt the NFL in my opinion in terms of teams having to travel there to play and travel back to get ready for their next opponent. jet lag will set in and could effect how the team prepares for their next game.

I don't think I'd be in favour of there being an NFL franchise in London in some ways. Logistically difficult and creates an imbalance in the league, plus I can't see a franchise based in London being able to pull enough fans week in week out. The one off games will always sell well, but asking people to fork out for 8 a season might prove a bit of a harder sell (especially when our soccer football season is under way). Besides which a large portion of the people who would have interest in going to watch NFL already support a NFL team, and if there's one thing we have over here it's team loyalty!

The real shame for me was that NFL Europe never took off, would have created another level of the game for developing talent , in effect the NFL equivalent of the minors.

I don't think I'd be in favour of there being an NFL franchise in London in some ways. Logistically difficult and creates an imbalance in the league, plus I can't see a franchise based in London being able to pull enough fans week in week out. The one off games will always sell well, but asking people to fork out for 8 a season might prove a bit of a harder sell (especially when our soccer football season is under way). Besides which a large portion of the people who would have interest in going to watch NFL already support a NFL team, and if there's one thing we have over here it's team loyalty!

The real shame for me was that NFL Europe never took off, would have created another level of the game for developing talent , in effect the NFL equivalent of the minors.

The NFL doesn't even have a team in Canada, unlike every other major US/North American sports league, another place would be Mexico. While some would think Mexico would be crazy, the NFL is very popular with Mexicans and it would be much closer(plus would stay in a US time zone). If the NFL wants to go international, it needs to try within North America first, going overseas is just too far. No other sports league does that.

And you guys want to move to the north????? Outdoors, not our style

i think it's a lil to early to say what the style of this teams is. listening to grigson and pagano and how they wanna build the team, the outdoors wouldn't be a problem at all.

my opinion i think we should be AFC North:

East:

Baltimore

New York

New England

Buffalo

North:

Cinci

Cleveland

Indianapolis

Pittsburgh

South:

Houston

Jax

Miami

Tenn.

West:

Denver

KC

Oakland

San Diego

but then they would say that takes away from the ravens steelers rivalry ( i dont see how, they can still play each other every year look at indy and new england)

but there has been talk that Jacksonville could move to london if the NFL approves a team there. which would really hurt the NFL in my opinion in terms of teams having to travel there to play and travel back to get ready for their next opponent. jet lag will set in and could effect how the team prepares for their next game.

Nice post betheafan41. I agree 100%. Rivalries always evolve & adapt anyway. Besides, new rivalries in new divisions can be quite entertaining to watch unfold before your very eyes.

One could argue the AFC West was worse.

However, it doesn't matter. Last year the NFC West was the laughing stock. Not so much this year.

Exactly. The AFC West is horrible this year. Like you said, the NFC West shows how quickly things can turn around as far as going from "worst division" to being competitive goes.

The Colts are in arguably the easiest division. Don't ask to move out!!!

I don't know about that one Andy. To me, the easiest division in football is the AFC West. The Broncos are the only real competition in that lackluster group of teams if you ask me. But then again, going head to head with #18 in the same division is not a good idea in terms of moving past the Manning era in INDY.

The NFC North doesn't scare me either. We already beat GB. Neither the Lions or Vikings will make the Playoffs. But the Monsters Of The Midway in the "Windy City" always pack that stout defense though. No argument there & Jay Cutler is clicking right now.

If the Rams did swap in for them it would be kinda ironic that a LA bound team would be replaced by one that had fled done a Kurt Russell out of there previously.

Thanks for the answers though guys, I didn't think there was a set procedure for it, like I said was just an idle thought.

How come no team seems to stick it out in LA?

If the Rams did swap in for them it would be kinda ironic that a LA bound team would be replaced by one that had fled done a Kurt Russell out of there previously.

Thanks for the answers though guys, I didn't think there was a set procedure for it, like I said was just an idle thought.

How come no team seems to stick it out in LA?

It's a basketball city. For some reason, and I have no idea why, the people there just aren't football people.

good point...tampa used to be in the same division as the Bears, GB, Detroit and MInnesota

They wont realign because one team moves. For years you had a NFC east with the cardinals in it while the NFC west had the saints, falcons, and panthers in it. Then when they did realignment they still did something's that don't make sense. The colts should be in the north the ravens in the east and Miami in the south geographically. So if the jags move to LA we will just play a road game each year in LA rather than jax.

They wont realign because one team moves. For years you had a NFC east with the cardinals in it while the NFC west had the saints, falcons, and panthers in it. Then when they did realignment they still did something's that don't make sense. The colts should be in the north the ravens in the east and Miami in the south geographically. So if the jags move to LA we will just play a road game each year in LA rather than jax.

They wouldn't keep LA in the AFC South and have a high percentage of the games of the second biggest market in the country air at 10:00 - 11:00 AM in the morning. As is, it's bad enough for West Coast viewers. For ratings purposes, they would most certainly swap a team.

They wouldn't keep LA in the AFC South and have a high percentage of the games of the second biggest market in the country air at 10:00 - 11:00 AM in the morning. As is, it's bad enough for West Coast viewers. For ratings purposes, they would most certainly swap a team.

That wont be a deciding factor. They can just put the LA team on at 4:15 if they want to even if they are on the road. The NFL has surived this long without a team in LA at all they aren't going to cater to them. If LA wants a team it's going to be on the NFL's terms.