Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman

crestmount

I highly doubt that. AJ has outplayed Tevaseu all year long. I don't foresee Tevaseu being on the team next year. AJ will continue to be the starter at NT until Chapman can prove that he is the better NT, which I'm sure in time he will. Even then, I believe AJ will be kept as the 2nd string NT unless another team offers him more money as a starter.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the stats for how many snaps Tevaseu had? Neither Tevaseu nor AJ saw many snaps against the Packers either. When playing more pass happy teams, the NT's are on the field less because their main function is to help stop the run. Maurice Jones-Drew was out of the game and the Jags running game wasn't really getting anything done. The Jags were using more spread out sets and quite a bit of shotgun, so the Colts sent their better pass rushers on the field more often. I'm sure the same will be true when we play the Patriots. I doubt AJ, Tevaseu or Chapman see the field much because we'll want the best pass rushers on the field.

Also, 3 tech is the undertackle position in a 4 man front, not a DE position. You're probably thinking of the 5 tech position which is the DE in a 3-4 front. I do believe AJ could be a 5 tech on running downs. I don't believe he's to the point where he could be relied on to provide a steady pass rush however. He has been slowly but steadily improving in that area though. He was only a step away from getting 2 sacks on Weeden and I he has done the same in a couple of other games recently on occasion. He's not, however, going to be a major threat in the pass rush department, especially since the focus seems to be for him to bulk up and improve his strength to be more stout against the run. If he was going to strive to be a pass rusher then he'd need to trim a few pounds in attempt to get quicker. For the record, the same is true of Chapman. Chapman likely is not going to be much of a pass rushing threat. That was not his strength at Alabama. His strength is being able to clog the middle and stop the run. I don't think either of them will be used intentionally on passing downs any more than necessary. That's where guys like Nevis, Redding, Moala and Ricardo Matthews come in.

no im thinking of a 3 tech(outside shade of the guard) in the 3-4 when Freeney or mathis would be in a standing 5 tech Moala/Nevis/Mathews/Redding would slide down to a 3 tech in the 3-4 defense and the weakside end would play the opposite 5 tech with the NT shaded to the weak side 1 tech over the center. here is a picture of what im talking about. notice how Moala in this case is playing the 3 tech in the 3-4. that is the technique Johnson should be more comfortable playing rather than NT.

v._JAX_2.1_medium.png

in this case Nevis is the 3 tech

v._JAX_3.2_medium.png

here Nevis is the 3 tech

__Jets_1.2_medium.png

just about 70% of the time one of our ends slides down and plays the 3 tech and freeney/hughes/mathis would come down and play the 5 tech. Johnson should be comfortable playing the 3 tech in this defense and I know he is comfortable to play DT in nickel situations

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no 3 technique player in a 3-4 front. The 2 DE's in a 3-4 using 2-gap principals are both playing the 5-tech position while the NT is playing 0-tech.

ddz5oh.gif

The 3-tech is a position in a 4-man front. This player is supposed to penetrate as opposed to clog space. His job is to get into the backfield and disrupt. Here is a good photo that shows where each tech would align:

D-line-alignment-and-gaps-copy.png

For more detailed breakdown see https://www.profootb...the-prototypes/ (which is where the above photo came from).

AJ may be able to play the 3-tech but that would not be playing to his strength. His strength is at either 0-tech or 1-tech. He is more of a space-eater than he is a penetrator and the prime responsibility of a 3-tech is to penetrate. Now I do think AJ could play the 5-tech role, especially on earlier downs or short yardage plays. He could play 5-tech but his responsibility would pretty much be to try to occupy both the OG and OT to free up the OLB to rush the passer.

there is no 3 technique player in a 3-4 front. The 2 DE's in a 3-4 using 2-gap principals are both playing the 5-tech position while the NT is playing 0-tech.

ddz5oh.gif

The 3-tech is a position in a 4-man front. This player is supposed to penetrate as opposed to clog space. His job is to get into the backfield and disrupt. Here is a good photo that shows where each tech would align:

For more detailed breakdown see https://www.profootb...the-prototypes/ (which is where the above photo came from).

3 tech is not a position. 3 tech is simply outside shade of the guard. its where you line up, i played in a 3-4 defense for 6 years on the high school and college level. what your showing above is a 50 defense with both ends playing a 5 tech and a head up nose thats a defensive play call not a position. you can call something like "31 right"(simple high school 3-4 defense playcall, college more terminology in there play calls) with the same front but the strong side end would slide to the 3 tech nose shades to the weak side and the weakside end stays at the 5 tech

3 tech is not a position. 3 tech is simply outside shade of the guard. its where you line up, i played in a 3-4 defense for 6 years on the high school and college level

To the bolded part, that's just a matter of semantics. When I say the 3-tech position I'm talking about his physical position on the line, as in where he is lined up on the line of scrimmage. Yes it's about where you line up but it's also about what the responsibility of the player lining up in that spot is. In a 3-4 front, they generally don't line up a lineman at the 3-tech position alignment (that better?), they position him out wider in the 5-tech. If he's in the 3-tech spot then whether Mathis or Freeney are standing or with their hand in the ground, they're still playing 4-man front principles.

To the bolded part, that's just a matter of semantics. When I say the 3-tech position I'm talking about his physical position on the line, as in where he is lined up on the line of scrimmage. Yes it's about where you line up but it's also about what the responsibility of the player lining up in that spot is. In a 3-4 front, they generally don't line up a lineman at the 3-tech position alignment (that better?), they position him out wider in the 5-tech. If he's in the 3-tech spot then whether Mathis or Freeney are standing or with their hand in the ground, they're still playing 4-man front principles.

that is false just watch the 3-4 teams and you will see. they run both 5 tech de plays but rarely simply because they rush the olb off on edge and the 5 tech is on the other side. most of the time there is a DE that slides down and plays the 3 tech. ex. Brett Kiesel, JJ Watt, Justin Smith, antonio smith. yes they rush from the 5 tech on occasions but most of the time they are in a 3 tech in their 3-4 defense

IMG_0185.png

GQ1.jpg

GQ9.jpg

that is false just watch the 3-4 teams and you will see. they run both 5 tech de plays but rarely simply because they rush the olb off on edge and the 5 tech is on the other side. most of the time there is a DE that slides down and plays the 3 tech. ex. Brett Kiesel, JJ Watt, Justin Smith, antonio smith. yes they rush from the 5 tech on occasions but most of the time they are in a 3 tech in their 3-4 defense

Which means theyre playing a 1 gap 3-4 front as opposed to 2-gap. Its well known that wade phillips' defense in houston is a 1-gap defense, which is why he can effectively use smaller players on the DL than say the ravens or steelers. This is something the colts definitely do but in passing situations. Thats because the 1-gap 3-4 is more about getting penetration. On early downs and run downs (the primary times aj, chapman or tevaseu would be on the field) they would be more likely playing a 2-gap principle with both de's lined up at the 5-tech spot.

Also to add to something you said a few posts back, i dont think ive ever seen mathis, hughes or freeney line up at 5-tech. They split out far wider than that, closer to the 7-tech spot, often times (when standing up) even closer to the wide 9 range.

Also to add to something you said a few posts back, i dont think ive ever seen mathis, hughes or freeney line up at 5-tech. They split out far wider than that, closer to the 7-tech spot, often times (when standing up) even closer to the wide 9 range.

their lined up outside the tackle thats a 5 tech, and they line up as a 7 tech outside the tight end when there is one. in the pictures above thats what pass rushing 5 techs look like so they have an angle to the quarterback. even 4-3 ends line up in their 5 techs like that to rush the passer

their lined up outside the tackle thats a 5 tech, and they line up as a 7 tech outside the tight end when there is one. in the pictures above thats what pass rushing 5 techs look like so they have an angle to the quarterback. even 4-3 ends line up in their 5 techs like that to rush the passer

Look more closely at the picture. A 5-tech is lined up directly in front of the ot. Mathis, freeney and hughes never line up directly across from the ot. They're always lined up much wider which puts them in the 6-9-tech range. The link i provided even lists freeney as a textbook example of a pass rushing 9-tech player

5-Technique (3-4 DE) –Ty Warren

Much like the 0-technique, the traditional 5-technique is a two-gap player, lining up directly over the offensive tackle, he is responsible for the B and C gaps on his side of the formation.

This is not in any way what freeney, mathis or hughes do.

9-Technique (4-3 DRE) –Dwight Freeney

The 9-technique is the speed rushing defensive end, and aside from a few defenses in the NFL, is often used more in obvious pass-rushing situations than as an every down alignment, such is the size of the gap left between the DRE and anybody else inside him. The 9-technique lines up well outside the offensive tackle, and outside even the tight end if there is one on that side of the formation.

ddz5oh.gif

AJ may be able to play the 3-tech but that would not be playing to his strength. His strength is at either 0-tech or 1-tech. He is more of a space-eater than he is a penetrator and the prime responsibility of a 3-tech is to penetrate. Now I do think AJ could play the 5-tech role, especially on earlier downs or short yardage plays. He could play 5-tech but his responsibility would pretty much be to try to occupy both the OG and OT to free up the OLB to rush the passer.

AJ is able to do either or. Remember AJ has been here since we were playing Cover 2. He shouldn't have a problem with being asked to penetrate if called upon to do so.

AJ is able to do either or. Remember AJ has been here since we were playing Cover 2. He shouldn't have a problem with being asked to penetrate if called upon to do so.

He was still the nt in the defense we played. He would have been playing the 1-tech spot. Even in the old defense he was used primarily in run support to clog lanes and occupy blockers, which is how hes being used now because that plays to his strengths.

Im not saying he flat out cant do it, but rather its not his strength and we have other players better suited. Now if he were forced to move and play that role due to injury or all other players being fatigued then thats one thing. But his skillset is better used as it is now. I also think he would be better in the 5-tech role than 3-tech. Probably said that already but posting from phone so have limited forum functionality.

He was still the nt in the defense we played. He would have been playing the 1-tech spot. Even in the old defense he was used primarily in run support to clog lanes and occupy blockers, which is how hes being used now because that plays to his strengths.

Im not saying he flat out cant do it, but rather its not his strength and we have other players better suited. Now if he were forced to move and play that role due to injury or all other players being fatigued then thats one thing. But his skillset is better used as it is now. I also think he would be better in the 5-tech role than 3-tech. Probably said that already but posting from phone so have limited forum functionality.

I think he can play DE in the 3-4 as well. I agree. I've said he may do better in that role.

Recent news seems to dispell your thesis. ;)

yea, he's activated and such but i still don't think he'll play. just think the injury on that big an athlete is so severe that it's too big a risk vs. reward situation. he could be a real beast in the playoffs if they would just let the man be for now.

Couple problems here....Chapman was never on IR, he was on PUP. Very different. Also, the player specially designated as being able to return from IR was, I believe, Seth Olsen. Chapman was able to be activated at any point after week 6 (or the sixth game, depending on who you ask). ;)

Thanks for clarification. I remember when Seth was designated and i was thinking, wow, he has been real stinky, why put Seth on there. PUP makes more sense, thanks!

yea, he's activated and such but i still don't think he'll play. just think the injury on that big an athlete is so severe that it's too big a risk vs. reward situation. he could be a real beast in the playoffs if they would just let the man be for now.

ok dr farley