Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman

crestmount

Unless he's not ready to play yet and the other guys can play. With that said when they are ready to active him I would guess Geathers might be the odd man out even though he's a DE he was inactive on Sunday vs. Miami and with Moala and Redding healthy plus Nevis and Guy also on the roster there isn't really much of a need for him anymore.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd cut Guy or Geathers, but it seems excessive to keep even 8 DL in a 3-4, and we've got 8 DL before Chapman hits the active roster. I'd probably cut one and bring that Alvester Alexander RB onto the active roster for the Jags game. D. Brown should miss the game and I'd rather have a third RB than an 8th DL for the game...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't know if I'd cut Guy or Geathers, but it seems excessive to keep even 8 DL in a 3-4, and we've got 8 DL before Chapman hits the active roster. I'd probably cut one and bring that Alvester Alexander RB onto the active roster for the Jags game. D. Brown should miss the game and I'd rather have a third RB than an 8th DL for the game...

we have Robert Hughes active.. Who i might say resembles addai allot appearance wise with the dreads and #29. But no need to activate Alexander

chapman's twitter have to be the most watched account on this board lol

You're probably right, lol. Also, It is very unlikely even if he is given a green light to come back to the team that he would play right away, it take a while to get into game shape. I would estimate him playing vs. the Texans game (if we are in the playoff hunt, if we are not, he won't play till next year).

I'm real excited to see this guy play and if he's as good as everyone says he is will probably be the next jersey that i buy. However, coming off an ACL can be rough as good as surgery is. I'd rather activate him and save him till the end of the season if we are in the playoff hunt still than throw him out there and he gets injured again.

i say let him loose against the pats. who doesnt wanna see big chap lay a whooping on brady

I hope you dont get too disappointed if that doesnt happen. Just keep in mind that pass rushing is not chapman's strength. His strength is his strength (redundant, i know lol) but basically his job, like mookie's has been, will be to cover the 2 A- gaps to try to stop the run and occupy multiple blockers to allow other players to make plays. Now hopefully his strength will help him to collapse the pocket on early passing downs but on known passing downs he likely wont even be on the field. :)

I'm real excited to see this guy play and if he's as good as everyone says he is will probably be the next jersey that i buy. However, coming off an ACL can be rough as good as surgery is. I'd rather activate him and save him till the end of the season if we are in the playoff hunt still than throw him out there and he gets injured again.

not sure why people keep saying this...you really think the colts would be that careless with chapman. if his knee isn't healthy enough he won't see the field.

I have no idea why some people are expecting a pass rusher in Chapman when

1.Thats not a Nose Tackles job in a 3-4 and

2.He literally has 2 in 5 years of being a 3-4 NT also 88 tackles in 5 years of college as well

Gonna be some people disappointed when he is a rotational NT

I hope you dont get too disappointed if that doesnt happen. Just keep in mind that pass rushing is not chapman's strength. His strength is his strength (redundant, i know lol) but basically his job, like mookie's has been, will be to cover the 2 A- gaps to try to stop the run and occupy multiple blockers to allow other players to make plays. Now hopefully his strength will help him to collapse the pocket on early passing downs but on known passing downs he likely wont even be on the field. :)

I know how a NT works, but im just saying who wouldnt wanna see big chap get a hit on brady

I know how a NT works, but im just saying who wouldnt wanna see big chap get a hit on brady

Wasn't trying to insinuate you didn't know how a NT works. Was merely responding to what you said in your post and just wanted to point out for you, or whoever else may read your post and not be aware, that he's likely not going to be much of a threat as a pass rusher and therefore probably won't get many hits on opposing QB's. If he does then that's great and yeah I'd love to see it. Just don't want to see people get down on him if he doesn't get to the QB, especially when that's not going to be his primary responsibility. :)

chap will play this week was said he looked very good in pract was beating our centers all day we wont know tell mon or tue but heck if chap is as good as they say and can beat double teams have a jump at clogging the holes would be huge his role is to free LBs not fly free very important position huge for the front 7 and i think we will here some good news this week. His playing time may be limited but we will see what he can do!!

chap will play this week was said he looked very good in pract was beating our centers all day we wont know tell mon or tue but heck if chap is as good as they say and can beat double teams have a jump at clogging the holes would be huge his role is to free LBs not fly free very important position huge for the front 7 and i think we will here some good news this week. His playing time may be limited but we will see what he can do!!

He's not healthy yet. Not going to happen.

no, once activated as an exception from the special IR, he has to play in every game from that point on (if physically able to), and further must clog all the running lanes and be a beast space-eater and make at least 8 tackles a game with 50% of the number of full tackes required to be assists, lastly he must intimidate the opposing center with insults including but not limited to "yo momma" references and "who shur daddy" references.

Go Big Daddy Chap!!!!!

Man, that new CBA is strict.

no, once activated as an exception from the special IR, he has to play in every game from that point on (if physically able to), and further must clog all the running lanes and be a beast space-eater and make at least 8 tackles a game with 50% of the number of full tackes required to be assists, lastly he must intimidate the opposing center with insults including but not limited to "yo momma" references and "who shur daddy" references.

Go Big Daddy Chap!!!!!

Couple problems here....Chapman was never on IR, he was on PUP. Very different. Also, the player specially designated as being able to return from IR was, I believe, Seth Olsen. Chapman was able to be activated at any point after week 6 (or the sixth game, depending on who you ask). ;)

Couple problems here....Chapman was never on IR, he was on PUP. Very different. Also, the player specially designated as being able to return from IR was, I believe, Seth Olsen. Chapman was able to be activated at any point after week 6 (or the sixth game, depending on who you ask). ;)

And as follow up no need to rush him,let him playhimself into game shape,IMO in the long run he will be a beast! You are correct about PUP also

- The 18 snaps recorded by Antonio Johnson last night were a season low both in terms of the raw number and the percent of defensive plays (25%) that he was in for.

I think Johnson is getting the message and now that Chapman is on the active roster Johnson might lose all his snaps or he can back up redding at the 3 tech DE and DT in nickel packages. Chapman and Teveasu will be the rotation from here on at NT so it seems

- The 18 snaps recorded by Antonio Johnson last night were a season low both in terms of the raw number and the percent of defensive plays (25%) that he was in for.

I think Johnson is getting the message and now that Chapman is on the active roster Johnson might lose all his snaps or he can back up redding at the 3 tech DE and DT in nickel packages. Chapman and Teveasu will be the rotation from here on at NT so it seems

I highly doubt that. AJ has outplayed Tevaseu all year long. I don't foresee Tevaseu being on the team next year. AJ will continue to be the starter at NT until Chapman can prove that he is the better NT, which I'm sure in time he will. Even then, I believe AJ will be kept as the 2nd string NT unless another team offers him more money as a starter.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the stats for how many snaps Tevaseu had? Neither Tevaseu nor AJ saw many snaps against the Packers either. When playing more pass happy teams, the NT's are on the field less because their main function is to help stop the run. Maurice Jones-Drew was out of the game and the Jags running game wasn't really getting anything done. The Jags were using more spread out sets and quite a bit of shotgun, so the Colts sent their better pass rushers on the field more often. I'm sure the same will be true when we play the Patriots. I doubt AJ, Tevaseu or Chapman see the field much because we'll want the best pass rushers on the field.

Also, 3 tech is the undertackle position in a 4 man front, not a DE position. You're probably thinking of the 5 tech position which is the DE in a 3-4 front. I do believe AJ could be a 5 tech on running downs. I don't believe he's to the point where he could be relied on to provide a steady pass rush however. He has been slowly but steadily improving in that area though. He was only a step away from getting 2 sacks on Weeden and I he has done the same in a couple of other games recently on occasion. He's not, however, going to be a major threat in the pass rush department, especially since the focus seems to be for him to bulk up and improve his strength to be more stout against the run. If he was going to strive to be a pass rusher then he'd need to trim a few pounds in attempt to get quicker. For the record, the same is true of Chapman. Chapman likely is not going to be much of a pass rushing threat. That was not his strength at Alabama. His strength is being able to clog the middle and stop the run. I don't think either of them will be used intentionally on passing downs any more than necessary. That's where guys like Nevis, Redding, Moala and Ricardo Matthews come in.