Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I need to give Greg Manusky his due

chad72

Greg Manusky has overachieved on D with a limited talent pool given, IMO. We may not be lights out on D but we seem to make the stops when it matters most. I think Manusky has exceeded my expectations with his scheme and utilization of whatever personnel he has at his disposal.

This is the ultimate 'blue collar' defense.

No mattere who seems to get hurt, the coaches get the next man up and ready. And the guys play hard. Seemingly always.

You can't ask much more of the guys than what we're getting right now. They. Play. Hard.

We'll need that for 8 more weeks. This road is not going to get easier, no matter what the record of our opponents will be.....

this. i saw a post ripping him last night...unbelievable. the guy is in the first year of a 34 conversion, doesn't have a true nt, and has had to dea with a slew of injuries

Yes. It starts at the top. Jim Irsay made the two biggest decisions of all, gutting the team and staff, and then hiring Ryan Grigson. Then came Chuck and the rest of the staff. I don't see a single hire that I am questioning at this point.

Got to admit overall defensively with what he has to work with he has done slightly better then expected, I wouldn't call it good because he has done a fair share of things that made no sense to me anyway and he seemingly has problems with being creative with his packages but first year with a secondary that if ya held a gun to there heads individually and said intercept this ball or die would be dead then Manusky has done respectable

Greg Manusky has overachieved on D with a limited talent pool given, IMO. We may not be lights out on D but we seem to make the stops when it matters most. I think Manusky has exceeded my expectations with his scheme and utilization of whatever personnel he has at his disposal.

IMO, you're being kind with that statement. Yes, we have three pro bowl players, but only one has been healthy consistently. We don't really have a true NT and except for AB our entire current D backfield is suspect.

I think Davis is going to be our best CB if he can stay healthy, and he's worth the draft pick.

It's a testament to coaching when you can make a team of low draft picks and unwanted FAs play respectable D.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I said this exact thing "give manusky his due" 3 weeks ago and got flamed right outta town.. maybe I was being premature then, but yes... I agree... its time to give it up for Manusky who has gotten little respect since he came here, even by the FO, if you ask me. I'm not ready to crown him or anything, but we have done a serviceable job with big talent holes, lots of injuries, and a brand new scheme.... I am looking forward to seeing what he does with some shiny new toys next season!

on a "mixed emotions" note: Freeney was a beast, even with zero tackles he was all over Tannihill (sp) and in his face all day... if he plays lights out for the rest of the season we will be in a pickle, will we overpay, or will we let him walk for nothing... feels great now, but turning into a future lose-lose with every sack fumble....

I don't want to be "that guy", but I said this exact thing "give manusky his due" 3 weeks ago and got flamed right outta town.. maybe I was being premature then, but yes... I agree... its time to give it up for Manusky who has gotten little respect since he came here, even by the FO, if you ask me. I'm not ready to crown him or anything, but we have done a serviceable job with big talent holes, lots of injuries, and a brand new scheme.... I am looking forward to seeing what he does with some shiny new toys next season!

on a "mixed emotions" note: Freeney was a beast, even with zero tackles he was all over Tannihill (sp) and in his face all day... if he plays lights out for the rest of the season we will be in a pickle, will we overpay, or will we let him walk for nothing... feels great now, but turning into a future lose-lose with every sack fumble....

It's odd, but sometimes as you get older you find that timing is so important in life.

You were right 3 weeks ago. But perhaps the masses just weren't ready to accept it yet. Now that we're halfway through the season, there's enough data to confirm what you said back then. Of course, if the defense implodes over the next 8 weeks, all of us here will be laughed at and the "I told you so..." crowd will be back with a vengeance...

But, if the defense continues to play well, then being 'that guy' will turn into a Badge of Honor! :thmup: You saw it before the rest of us! Props to you! :thmup:

We will still let him walk because of what he will demand as a 3-4 OLB will not be on par with what we will be willing to pay him as a 3-4 OLB.

wouldn't call it good because he has done a fair share of things that made no sense to me anyway...

I've defended you on occasion, Gavin, but this cracks me up!

Seriously? Since when would any coach's abilities be reasonably judged against how their actions make sense to you?

I know we all like to squabble over the minutiae to keep ourselves entertained between games, but few of us have enough working knowledge of the game to honestly claim the right to accurately judge. The best most of us can usually do is wait for statistics to accumulate and respond to that, which is what the OP is doing.

The "fair share of things that make no sense to [you]" appear to be working better than expected. Manusky's management of the D has been effective, so far.