Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford Routt waived [Merge]

MTC

They released him and put Javier Arenas(the punt returner) in his place. Supposedly they made the move to make room for bringing in Shaun Smith the DT/NT. I wonder if they are bringing in Smith because Dontari Poe sucks?

chiefs-35.png Chiefs | Javier Arenas to take over Mon Nov 5, 02:58 PM

Kansas City Chiefs CB Javier Arenas is expected to take over as the starting cornerback opposite CB Brandon Flowers after the team waived CB Stanford Routt.

Link to story

Javier Arenas player page

Brian McIntyre of Yahoo Sports adds that Routt has a $10 million option due in 2013.

Considering he is due a $10 million dollar option payment in 2013 he certainly won't be on this team long if we did pick him up

They released him and put Javier Arenas(the punt returner) in his place. Supposedly they made the move to make room for bringing in Shaun Smith the DT/NT. I wonder if they are bringing in Smith because Dontari Poe sucks?

I think Poe was a risky pick...he was a workout warrior with a great combine but his film wasn't consistent...kinda lazy

Wonder what the reason was for the release, he played and started every game this year for the chiefs, He is an aggressive Corner though, But has always played in a 4-3

I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me right the Raiders have played a 3-4 during Routts time there as well.

I think Poe was a risky pick...he was a workout warrior with a great combine but his film wasn't consistent...kinda lazy

I thought it was a really DUMB pick! There were certainly better players the chiefs could have gotten then that.

To be honest, secondary coaching has a lot to do with it. Cassius Vaughn was not lighting it up in Denver. It also showed that Denver had some young talent that made Cassius Vaughn disposable for them. But Vaughn did a great job on Jordy Nelson, IMO, and then limited Hartline better than Powers did.

With Pagano bringing some secondary coaches from the Ravens whose secondary is feeling the pinch of no Ladarius Webb and no Pagano and Roy Anderson (ex-Ravens safeties coach who is now our secodnary coach), I am beginning to think there is merit to saying our secondary coaching is not shabby. The talent maybe but the coaching is not.

And Powers doesn't? Dude has as many INT's as our WHOLE team does.

Powers is very similar to Routt, but Routt would probably demand a decent amount of money. I would not be willing to spend anything more than vet minimum on his burnt self. I'd honestly rather just keep trying out different young guys and wait for the cream to rise to the top.

I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me right the Raiders have played a 3-4 during Routts time there as well.

With Crennel being the head coach I would assume the Chiefs are currently running a 3-4 so it's possible Routt would fit with Indy if we chose to make a move. Could be wrong....

I don't see him being ready by Thurs.

Also, isn't there some kind of 3 day rule before you can go and put a guy on the playing field? I remember somebody on NFL.com wrote about this when the Seahawks signed T.O. in the pre-season? If we signed Routt I doubt it would be today or tommorow, so if the rule is valid then that would stop him from playing on Thursday even if we thought he could play. I could be wrong though.

Also, isn't there some kind of 3 day rule before you can go and put a guy on the playing field? I remember somebody on NFL.com wrote about this when the Seahawks signed T.O. in the pre-season? If we signed Routt I doubt it would be today or tommorow, so if the rule is valid then that would stop him from playing on Thursday even if we thought he could play. I could be wrong though.

That's the acclimation period, and it's only for the preseason. Players can't be in pads until their fourth day of camp. So when TO joined the Seahawks, he should have waited three days before practicing in pads. He was in pads on his third day.

For a player who gets released and then signed by a different team, there's no acclimation period. Technically speaking, we could sign an already acclimated player and have him on the practice field today, and on the active roster on Thursday.

That's the acclimation period, and it's only for the preseason. Players can't be in pads until their fourth day of camp. So when TO joined the Seahawks, he should have waited three days before practicing in pads. He was in pads on his third day.

For a player who gets released and then signed by a different team, there's no acclimation period. Technically speaking, we could sign an already acclimated player and have him on the practice field today, and on the active roster on Thursday.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure!

Powers is very similar to Routt, but Routt would probably demand a decent amount of money. I would not be willing to spend anything more than vet minimum on his burnt self. I'd honestly rather just keep trying out different young guys and wait for the cream to rise to the top.

not sure a guy who just got cut by the chiefs can demand much money

I like the fact that he runs a 4.27 40. I haven't watched any of the Chiefs games this year so I don't have a good idea as to why they cut him. Judging from the kind of D the Chiefs have been playing I'm going to assume that their defensive line doesn't generate a whole lot of pressure, which could leave the CB in coverage too long. That could be part of the issue, along with others.

With Crennel being the head coach I would assume the Chiefs are currently running a 3-4 so it's possible Routt would fit with Indy if we chose to make a move. Could be wrong....

It's come to the point where its clear our weakest link is the secondary...every other part of the team has made improvements with the exception of them....I dont see what wrong with evaluating the dude.

Looks like the Jacob Lacey hate has reached Detroit as well! Fan calling for Lions to sign Routt:

Cul Meeks · Top Commenter · Senior Technician at Western Research Institute

C'mon Detroit. Let's sign Stanford Routt! Can't be worse than the fourth-stringer Jacob Lacey.

Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · about an hour ago

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000090876/article/romeo-crennel-names-gary-gibbs-dcoordinator

Getting cut by the Chiefs has to be the ultimate insult.

if you look at record wise yes but if you look at it talent wise then the Colts are the ultimate insult (Minus Vontae when healthy) every Corner not named Vontae on our team is expendable

It's come to the point where its clear our weakest link is the secondary...every other part of the team has made improvements with the exception of them....I dont see what wrong with evaluating the dude.

I'm not opposed to it if Grigson studies the tape and sees potential. The other prohibitive issue is a 10 million dollar option payment Routt is due next year. I can't see him staying with us for long if we picked him up.