Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen Vs. Fleener

ProblChld32

Im just curious as to what everyone's opinion are on these two and who's playing better.

Im a huge Fleener fan ive followed him at Stanford but IMO, I think Dwayne Allen has emerged as the better overall TE. This kid does it all, he is the better blocker more elusive and a better receiver if you ask me. One thing that ive realized is that Allen has amazing hands and makes some great tough grabs. If you watch film on him from the previous games when he is targeted more often than not he catches the ball, and amazingly makes an acrobatic catch or two. Don't get me wrong Fleener has been very serviceable but i don't think he has emerged as that play maker that we were expecting him to be. Allen on the other hand has exceeded expectations and is making a huge impact.

Any thoughts on this everyone?

I thought Allen really, really outplayed Fleener yesterday.

In fact, I thought Fleener played his worst game of the season. He flat out sucked!! (can we say that here?)

It was almost as if he disappeared from the team! Where was that guy? He was useless to Luck!

What? He was hurt? He didn't play? Not at all? Not a single down?

Then why are we having this conversation?!? :facepalm:

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :panic:

In fact, I thought Fleener played his worst game of the season. He flat out sucked!! (can we say that here?)

It was almost as if he disappeared from the team! Where was that guy? He was useless to Luck!

Fleener didn't even play yesterday he was out with a shoulder injury.

I don't really see it as a Competition. But more as the TE Duo up in NE of Hernadez & Gronk. One compliments the other, but BOTH cause problems for Defenses. Now as time goes on, they'll both get better & they will put up good numbers. But I'm just glad we got both of them, definitely a "Steal" imo

i like allen better so far. since the beginning of the season ive been wanting to see more of him, and was pleased with yesterday with the opportunities he got. he fights for literally every yard. nothing against coby fleener, who has also been really great. allen is more of an antonio gates IMO and coby fleener is like a dallas clark.

Im sorry i didnt know i stated that Fleener played on Sunday, Way to Troll bro

I think Allen has out performed Fleener all year, and I for one did not expect it. Fleener's hands have seemingly been an issue, even as far back as training camp. I think he's having some growing pains transitioning to the NFL, but I still think Fleener, in the long run, has the tools to be the better TE. I think Fleener has the physicals to be one of the best ever if he can turn that into production.

Im sorry i didnt know i stated that Fleener played on Sunday, Way to Troll bro

Sorry, I was just trying to have a little fun with you. Don't take it personally.

You asked a valid question. My only problem is that (A) we've probably had 5-10 different threads on who is better, Allen/Fleener, or what's wrong with Fleener... etc, etc. And (B) Fleener didn't play yesterday, while Allen did and played well. So perceptions are going to be shaped by the most recent game. Based on that, Allen really did outplay Fleener yesterday.

Just one fans point of view.... Sorry, didn't mean to rub you the wrong way...

Allen has been the better tightend, and it was obvious very early on that he was going to be. Fleener struggled badly early, but i will say that he was coming on a little bit before he got hurt. Looked a bit more confident and actually started catching the ball. But Allen is just on another level right now and it's not even that close. He's going to be a stud for a long time.

Allen hasn't outplayed him before yesterday?

Both have been utilized in 7 games, Dwayne wasn't used week one, Allen has played better.

Through 8 weeks their receiving numbers are nearly identical. Allen has 23 for 249, 2 TDs, 10.8 yards per catch, one fumble. Fleener has 21 for 222, 10.6 yards per catch. YAC goes to Fleener by about 20 yards, but he has also been targeted more than Allen. Allen has 15 catches for first downs, Fleener 10. For whatever reason, Allen may be winning the 'eye' test, but I'm really happy with both players. The Colts got the best two TEs in the draft class by nearly all accounts, and by miles in production so far this year too. One thing I feel like I see is the TEs sitting down on routes a lot, turn in the soft spot of the zone and wait to get the ball. Yesterday Allen got hit in stride a few times and ran a bit, and I think that matters, impacts how one 'feels' about produciton. It looks better. But the reality is, in terms of receiving, Allen and Fleener have been nearly identical.

Allen hasn't outplayed him before yesterday?

Both have been utilized in 7 games, Dwayne wasn't used week one, Allen has played better.

Of course he has. I know that. You know that. We ALL know that!

Sorry, I just grew tired of the least Allen/Fleener thread. Feels like we've had one every week since the start of training camp.

If we all had just $1 for every post on every thread about these two guys, we could all retire right now!!

Sorry, I can't talk much longer. I have to get ready for the latest Allen/Fleener thread. It'll start Friday. Allen is going to catch many more passes than Fleener Thursday night. Yes, Fleener is hurt and not playing, but that's no excuse! He should still be catching passes. And we can talk it about AGAIN later this week in a brand new thread?

OK?

I am in a keeper league and have been banking on pairing Fleener with Luck, but now I'm not so sure... Allen might be a good pick as he appears to be comfortable in the offense, but I am also considering Hilton due to his great upside and we also get points for returns... Any advice?