Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The road to 9-7

oldunclemark

Philbin is an unknown as a HC. Kubiak has won what? I'd say the Texans have not at all shown there is any greater coaching caliber or player leadership. Let them win something, anything, then I will believe. They haven't - yet.

The Texans next five games are @ Bears, Jags, @ Lions, @ Titans, and @ Pats. The Colts may well be a game back or tied with the Texans heading into those last two of three games. I am excited to see this play out, see if the Colts can continue the history they have with the Texans, which is great since they came into the league. 17-3 all time? Something crazy like that. Those aren't two easy Texans wins in my mind. Division opponents are never easy.

That how you judge leadership exclusively hardware? Okay...Under Mike Shanahan in Denver, Kubiack has won 2 SBs, he completely turned that insignificant expansion team into a team that would have made the Playoffs every year since his tenure had Peyton Manning not played in the AFC South, he brought in DC Wade Phillips who successfully revamped that defense in 1 season, and Wade Phillips got the most production out of Mario Williams too. How's Mario Williams doing in Buffalo right now? Shhh! If you listen quietly, you will hear crickets chirping in Buffalo, NY.

"Those aren't two easy Texans wins in my mind." Have you seen the Colts offensive line recently NorCalColt? Luck is constantly on the move & running. Luck is a pocket passer who scrambles because he has no other choice. Easy? Who ever said NFL wins are easy? I never did. Go back & read what I said. Thank you.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're strictly speaking about this team, you did not beat anyone, aside from the Packers, that many said you would lose to. Bears. Jets. You even lost to the Jaguars. Just because one upset occured does not mean that you should expect the same from another team that has a better running game and defense than the team that you upset. And no, you cannot predict upsets. That's why they're called upsets. Nobody expects them to happen. This forum is, at times, ridiculous indeed.

Colts have beat 3 winning teams (Vikings, Dolphins, Packers) Texans have beat 3 winning teams (Dolphins, Broncos, Ravens).

Jags have ALWAYS given the Colts fits. Even when we had Peyton and were considered great and the Jaguars were considered horrible, all games were close. Division games are completely different.

Upsets are predicted all the time. That's why you have the choice to bet on them in vegas.

Yes, this forum is ridiculous when people like you think you're team is invisible and can't lose. Texans can lose. Texans have lost already and that won't be their last lose.

According to you though, I'm sure the Texans won't lose another game.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 6, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, November 6, 2012 - personal argument

I will.

Just proves you're clueless when it comes to knowledge of the NFL.

That's your counter argument Coltswarriors. Frivolously attack the intellect of a person you have never even met. You would never make it in graduate school with sub standard reasoning like that. Clearly, I am in the superior football pantheon of Bill Polian, Bill Belicheck, Bill Walsh, & Bill Parcels...Oh wait... :thinking: :hmm: :yeahright: :sarcasm:

Colts have beat 3 winning teams (Vikings, Dolphins, Packers) Texans have beat 3 winning teams (Dolphins, Broncos, Ravens).

Jags have ALWAYS given the Colts fits. Even when we had Peyton and were considered great and the Jaguars were considered horrible, all games were close. Division games are completely different.

Upsets are predicted all the time. That's why you have the choice to bet on them in vegas.

Yes, this forum is ridiculous when people like you think you're team is invisible and can't lose. Texans can lose. Texans have lost already and that won't be their last lose.

According to you though, I'm sure the Texans won't lose another game.

I've never claimed invincibility and never will. Of course the Texans can lose, all I'm saying is that it won't be against the Colts. Bears, Patriots maybe, but not the Colts. You are right about division games being tougher though.

That how you judge leadership exclusively hardware? Okay...Under Mike Shanahan in Denver, Kubiack has won 2 SBs, he completely turned that insignificant expansion team into a team that would have made the Playoffs every year since his tenure had Peyton Manning not played in the AFC South, he brought in DC Wade Phillips who successfully revamped that defense in 1 season, and Wade Phillips got the most production out of Mario Williams too. How's Mario Williams doing in Buffalo right now? Shhh! If you listen quietly, you will hear crickets chirping in Buffalo, NY.

"Those aren't two easy Texans wins in my mind." Have you seen the Colts offensive line recently NorCalColt? Luck is constantly on the move & running. Luck is a pocket passer who scrambles because he has no other choice. Easy? Who ever said NFL wins are easy? I never did. Go back & read what I said. Thank you.

Kubiak career record: 54-50. Finished 4th in the South twice, 3rd twice, 2nd once, and at 10-6 one division title. No, I don't judge great coaching on hardware, but I do on getting talent on a professional team to reach their potential, something he has absolutely not done in Houston yet. The stories of Kubiak's firing was as strong before last season as any coach in the NFL because he had an underachieving team, constant late season faiures...

I did read what you said. That there is no way the Colts beat the Texans. And that the Texans coaching staff is far superior to the Dolphins coaching staff. I simply don't agree with either point, especially the 'no way', as clearly there is a way, and could happen. It shouldn't, but it could. That's why we watch and cheer.

Kubiak career record: 54-50. Finished 4th in the South twice, 3rd twice, 2nd once, and at 10-6 one division title. No, I don't judge great coaching on hardware, but I do on getting talent on a professional team to reach their potential, something he has absolutely not done in Houston yet. The stories of Kubiak's firing was as strong before last season as any coach in the NFL because he had an underachieving team, constant late season faiures...

I did read what you said. That there is no way the Colts beat the Texans. And that the Texans coaching staff is far superior to the Dolphins coaching staff. I simply don't agree with either point, especially the 'no way', as clearly there is a way, and could happen. It shouldn't, but it could. That's why we watch and cheer.

I think a lot of people would think otherwise...if we haven't reached our potential yet then dang I would love to see what we look like next year.

That's your counter argument Coltswarriors. Frivolously attack the intellect of a person you have never even met. You would never make it in graduate school with sub standard reasoning like that. Clearly, I am in the superior football pantheon of Bill Polian, Bill Belicheck, Bill Walsh, & Bill Parcels...Oh wait... :thinking: :hmm: :yeahright: :sarcasm:

I've attempted to have a football talk/argument with you. You provide nothing back, but emoticons.

I think a lot of people would think otherwise...if we haven't reached our potential yet then dang I would love to see what we look like next year.

The Texans have one season with 10 wins in Kubiak's tenure, one playoff appearance. I'm not sure why I need to explain why that isn't very good, especially with the talent that has been on that roster for several years. Does nobody remember the calls for Kubiak's head just two years ago? It's great that they are 7-1, but there are no awards after half a season. Lets see what they do, lets see how they finish.

The Texans have one season with 10 wins in Kubiak's tenure, one playoff appearance. I'm not sure why I need to explain why that isn't very good, especially with the talent that has been on that roster for several years. Does nobody remember the calls for Kubiak's head just two years ago? It's great that they are 7-1, but there are no awards after half a season. Lets see what they do, lets see how they finish.

Does nobody remember the calls for Tom Coughlin's head? We are improving, and that is the best that any team, and coach, could ask for. I too am curious as to how they finish. Hopeful, but curious.

I've never claimed invincibility and never will. Of course the Texans can lose, all I'm saying is that it won't be against the Colts. Bears, Patriots maybe, but not the Colts. You are right about division games being tougher though.

The Bears wont be a cake walk my freind,IMO thats a great matchup and by the way i do value your opinions

The Bears wont be a cake walk my freind,IMO thats a great matchup and by the way i do value your opinions

Thank you Jay, I would have liked your post but I ran out a long time ago hahaha. The Bears game scares me and will be a true test for the Texans. It's not going to be pretty, that's for sure. The Bears are my pick to make the Super Bowl this year, no questions asked.

Thank you Jay, I would have liked your post but I ran out a long time ago hahaha. The Bears game scares me and will be a true test for the Texans. It's not going to be pretty, that's for sure. The Bears are my pick to make the Super Bowl this year, no questions asked.

Id agree that game could be a preview,chances are good if both stay healthy!

Honestly, your road to 9-7 looks pathetic because if we go 9-7 you can forget about the playoffs in all likelihood. The Colts have only one game left against the NFC (Lions). That means if they go finish up 4-4, then at least 3 of those losses are coming against AFC teams which will kill their tie-breaker scenarios.

Eight games left. Three at home and five on the road. I think they can will all three home games, including the Houston game. By week 17, Houston should have everything wrapped up, I think. If that is the case, they will probably sit most of their key players. Of their five road games, three are very winnable (Jax on Thurs, @Detroit, and KC).

Hold serve at home and win all three of those winnable games and the Colts finish 11-5.

Hold serve at home and win all three of those games plus steal one from Houston or New England and now we're talkin!

I think the Colts will steal one of those road games, probably the NE game, but they will falter at home against someone (maybe Buffalo) and win 5 more games to finish up 10-6.

Does nobody remember the calls for Tom Coughlin's head? We are improving, and that is the best that any team, and coach, could ask for. I too am curious as to how they finish. Hopeful, but curious.

Coughlin made four playoff trips with the Jags before stepping foot in NY. And has made nine playoff appearances in his seventeen years as a HC. Kubiak's 7th year, right? You are far more patient than I, and I respect that. That's a federally funded road project build, not a pro sports build. But if you're happy as a fan, that's what matters, not what I think about Kubiak.

Coughlin made four playoff trips with the Jags before stepping foot in NY. And has made nine playoff appearances in his seventeen years as a HC. Kubiak's 7th year, right? You are far more patient than I, and I respect that. That's a federally funded road project build, not a pro sports build. But if you're happy as a fan, that's what matters, not what I think about Kubiak.

True, Coughlin did, but expectations are way different in NY. The fans wanted him gone at the midpoint of last year and he went on and won the Super Bowl. Just goes to show that head coaches should not care what fans, the media, or anybody other than their staff, owner, and team thinks. And I have no choice but to be patient...our other teams are the Rockets and the Astros. -__- The Texans honestly won the fans' loyalty by default hahahaha.

lets be honest..at this moment of high spirits

...we have 3 losses coming....we will lose to Houston twice and at New England

If Houston loses to the Bears next Sunday...they wont be resting anybody down the stretch...in the final 3 games

..and that run game is just a terrible matchup for the Colts....

.....and we cant defend Shady Tom Brady.....they'll outscore us.

BUT....with a must win over JAX...we have a 3-game stretch against Buffalo, at Detroit and Tennessee

The Detroit game is the biggest worry...an explosive team..dominant receiver...roughhouse defense

I dont know if we can pas protect...

Tennessee seemed broken yesterday against the Bears and Buffalo has been smoked ham all season...

That leaves the road game in Kansas City as the final step to 9-7.

They havent quit yet...but 1-13 could make them quit by the time we get there...

If we're 9-7...are we in the playoffs?

The texans could easily rest their starters the last game of the season. This team really is a wild card team and I mean in the literal sense. Who knows what we will get each week especially with injuries. Could get the team that beat the packers or the team that completely folded against the jets. One thing that is for sure though is I trust Andrew Luck.

Okay, to be fair to you, it is possible that the Texans could lose. Schaub could throw multiple picks, Foster could fumble, JJ Watt double teamed, & Johnson could drop textbook QB throws I suppose. But there is a flip side to that coin too...JJ Watt sacks Luck several times, RB Ballard could cough up the ball more than once, TY Hilton could drop textbook QB throws, and Reggie Wayne can have an off day too I suppose. Your point is well taken though NorCalColt. Nothing is guaranteed. I will acknowledge that. Well said NorCalColt. :hat:

I will.

Just proves you're clueless when it comes to knowledge of the NFL.

I've attempted to have a football talk/argument with you. You provide nothing back, but emoticons.

Tell me something sir. How exactly does & I quote "Just proves you're clueless when it comes to knowledge of the NFL." prove that you respect any contributions that I may have to offer? Generally, mocking someone outright without provocation does nothing to indicate that you respect, let alone value, any persons contributions. You don't invite a pleasant exchange by slamming someone that you have never even met. Do you introduce yourself to all new people in this manner? I sincerely hope not.

Your actions speak volumes Coltswarriors & I want nothing to do with any individual who is that rigid, unapproachable, & inflexible. I am sure that you are a fine person who is simply misunderstood. Have a pleasant evening Coltswarriors.

This post is full of fail. At what point where they ever considered an under achieving team? Kubiak gave them their first winning season in franchise history. Dom Capers was 18-46 in his tenure. Kubiak has given that franchise a monsterous turn around. They have finally gotten enough talent to be considered a contender and very well could have won it all last year if Schaub does not go down with a late injury.

This post is full of fail. At what point where they ever considered an under achieving team? Kubiak gave them their first winning season in franchise history. Dom Capers was 18-46 in his tenure. Kubiak has given that franchise a monsterous turn around. They have finally gotten enough talent to be considered a contender and very well could have won it all last year if Schaub does not go down with a late injury.

Kubiak was on the hot seat for a good 1 or 2 years before this team won the division. He finally got them to play to their potential. I saw the guy's points.

Tell me something sir. How exactly does & I quote "Just proves you're clueless when it comes to knowledge of the NFL." prove that you respect any contributions that I may have to offer? Generally, mocking someone outright without provocation does nothing to indicate that you respect, let alone value, any persons contributions. You don't invite a pleasant exchange by slamming someone that you have never even met. Do you introduce yourself to all new people in this manner? I sincerely hope not.

Your actions speak volumes Coltswarriors & I want nothing to do with any individual who is that rigid, unapproachable, & inflexible. I am sure that you are a fine person who is simply misunderstood. Have a pleasant evening Coltswarriors.

Stopped reading after your first sentence. You're so lost in this conversation.

Before I stated "Just proves you're clueless when it comes to knowledge of the NFL" (which you are) I quoted you once or twice before that post and made arguments and you replied with things such as "Keep telling yourself that the Colts can beat the Texans Sir. If that makes you feel better, it still won't happen though." and "Colts have NO chance!"

Next.

The Texans for multiple years were the team many picked to rise up, take the next step, make a playoff push, finally knock off the Colts. The roster has had talent. Chris Berman dropped the 'Come on Houston' line more times than I could count between 2008-2011, in reference to expectations, taking the next step. Maybe you don't watch ESPN.

Bleacher Report starts their 2011 season preview on the Texans with this quote, "Going into their ninth season as the newest NFL franchise, the Houston Texans had hoped to make the playoffs by now. While a disappointing 2011 season foiled what seemed to be a great opportunity for the Texans' first playoff berth, hope still springs anew. With a premier defensive mind now running the Texans defense, it seems that Houston may finally have the pieces in place for a postseason appearance."

Maddux Sports, a sports handicapping organization, starts their 2009 Texans season preview this way: "The time for the Texans to be a popular perennial sleeper team is probably over. Houston finished last season third overall in offense, but had just eight wins. They’re in a tough division, but a playoff appearance could be in the cards if their 22nd ranked defense can show some improvement. A number of changes were made to the defensive coaching staff, including new coordinator Frank Bush, while the focus of the offseason was adding talent on that side of the ball."

Here is a quote from SI.com, when Kubiak was a fourth year coach, this is his seventh year, so that would make this 2009, "Texans owner Bob McNair raised the bar, saying that after all of the offseason moves geared toward improving the defense, he expects a playoff appearance. McNair also pointed to a favorable start, as Houston opens with three of four games at home. That won't make fourth-year coach Gary Kubiak sleep any easier. One of the Texans' biggest problems has been in AFC South play; Kubiak is 2-10 over the last three years against the Colts and Titans.

I'm sorry you missed the multiple stories over the last several years which included words like disapponting, hot seat, perennial sleeper, depite ranking third on offense, and the other things which spell out underachieve. I didn't just make that up - I actually saw it, read about it, and saw others say it on big fancy networks like NFL, ESPN, you know, where sports are shown. There are similar articles and opinion pieces for 2008, 2010, and this year. About taking the next step, about taking advantage of the talent on the roster.

The Texans for multiple years were the team many picked to rise up, take the next step, make a playoff push, finally knock off the Colts. The roster has had talent. Chris Berman dropped the 'Come on Houston' line more times than I could count between 2008-2011, in reference to expectations, taking the next step. Maybe you don't watch ESPN.

Bleacher Report starts their 2011 season preview on the Texans with this quote, "Going into their ninth season as the newest NFL franchise, the Houston Texans had hoped to make the playoffs by now. While a disappointing 2011 season foiled what seemed to be a great opportunity for the Texans' first playoff berth, hope still springs anew. With a premier defensive mind now running the Texans defense, it seems that Houston may finally have the pieces in place for a postseason appearance."

Maddux Sports, a sports handicapping organization, starts their 2009 Texans season preview this way: "The time for the Texans to be a popular perennial sleeper team is probably over. Houston finished last season third overall in offense, but had just eight wins. They’re in a tough division, but a playoff appearance could be in the cards if their 22nd ranked defense can show some improvement. A number of changes were made to the defensive coaching staff, including new coordinator Frank Bush, while the focus of the offseason was adding talent on that side of the ball."

Here is a quote from SI.com, when Kubiak was a fourth year coach, this is his seventh year, so that would make this 2009, "Texans owner Bob McNair raised the bar, saying that after all of the offseason moves geared toward improving the defense, he expects a playoff appearance. McNair also pointed to a favorable start, as Houston opens with three of four games at home. That won't make fourth-year coach Gary Kubiak sleep any easier. One of the Texans' biggest problems has been in AFC South play; Kubiak is 2-10 over the last three years against the Colts and Titans.

I'm sorry you missed the multiple stories over the last several years which included words like disapponting, hot seat, perennial sleeper, depite ranking third on offense, and the other things which spell out underachieve. I didn't just make that up - I actually saw it, read about it, and saw others say it on big fancy networks like NFL, ESPN, you know, where sports are shown. There are similar articles and opinion pieces for 2008, 2010, and this year. About taking the next step, about taking advantage of the talent on the roster.

Pick them enough years in a row eventually they will be right. Instead consider they were just bad baseless predictions and they were overrating the texans. The texans were a sexy pick for what reason? What did they ever prove that they should take that next step? I see it as more of an opportunity for people to try to dethrone the colts. Trying to pick someone to knock off Manning. People love to pick sleepers but they rarely ever pan out. None of those articles made any sort of a compelling argument on why the texans should have been seen as a legitimate contender. All they did was build their own expectations over something that was never there. Last year can be labeled as dissapointing cause it has a big what if for what if Matt Schaub was healthy.

I say we just take it one game at a time and worry about the record at the end of the season... Focus on beating the next team.

we dont play....so we can look at the entire second half as a whole...and the only goalis to make the post-season....

realistically...not is some type of 'we can win any game if we really try ' world.....9-7 is very possible and 10-6 is reachable..

as an aside...Isnt it great to be debating how many games we're going to win????

but the post was...give me YOUR road to 9-7...or 10-6

My apologies, I didnt read the post from the beginning so was not aware of that, but I will gladly give you my honest opinion.....

First off, our run defense has been, at best ok...we have not been able to shut down 1 RB this season(haven't since the 08 season) so even though MJD is out, doesnt mean well have our way, the still have good backups. Same goes for the rest of the games, our biggest threat is the run games, even with the patriots.

@ Jaguars - WIN, 24-17....going to be close all game and we will drive in the 4Q

@ Patriots - LOSE, 27-21...A lot of people think we will get blown out, just like they did with the packers...Pats defense isnt the packers defense, they are more like ours, young and learning...so we will keep it close, but shady brady always has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Vs. Bills - WIN, 16-13....Adam V. will be very important in the game, bills will be a lot better vs us, then what we have seen.

@ Lions - WIN, 28-21....High scoring offensive capabilities...as long as we keep playing like we are and putting up 20+points we can have this game

Vs. Titans - WIN, 21-14...We need to take what we did in the first matchup and apply it here...keep CJ under 100yrds

@ Texans - LOSE, 28-14....They will not win vs bears, so they will have to play their best vs us.

@ Chiefs - WIN, 21-17....We have to play astounding defense, we cant let them run all over us, they have no QB threat so we must play run 70% of the game

Vs. Texans - WIN, 17-13.... Simple, they will be resting their starters so we have a good shot.

There you have it, 6-2 in the second half of the season, now these are only my honest predictions so if you dont agree thats fine, and honestly anything could happen in the NFL, but i predict we can finish 11-5

My apologies, I didnt read the post from the beginning so was not aware of that, but I will gladly give you my honest opinion.....

First off, our run defense has been, at best ok...we have not been able to shut down 1 RB this season(haven't since the 08 season) so even though MJD is out, doesnt mean well have our way, the still have good backups. Same goes for the rest of the games, our biggest threat is the run games, even with the patriots.

@ Jaguars - WIN, 24-17....going to be close all game and we will drive in the 4Q

@ Patriots - LOSE, 27-21...A lot of people think we will get blown out, just like they did with the packers...Pats defense isnt the packers defense, they are more like ours, young and learning...so we will keep it close, but shady brady always has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Vs. Bills - WIN, 16-13....Adam V. will be very important in the game, bills will be a lot better vs us, then what we have seen.

@ Lions - WIN, 28-21....High scoring offensive capabilities...as long as we keep playing like we are and putting up 20+points we can have this game

Vs. Titans - WIN, 21-14...We need to take what we did in the first matchup and apply it here...keep CJ under 100yrds

@ Texans - LOSE, 28-14....They will not win vs bears, so they will have to play their best vs us.

@ Chiefs - WIN, 21-17....We have to play astounding defense, we cant let them run all over us, they have no QB threat so we must play run 70% of the game

Vs. Texans - WIN, 17-13.... Simple, they will be resting their starters so we have a good shot.

There you have it, 6-2 in the second half of the season, now these are only my honest predictions so if you dont agree thats fine, and honestly anything could happen in the NFL, but i predict we can finish 11-5

Thank you Kevin......

If what you predict is true..we will win a total of 11 games by 7 points or less....be the No. 5 seed and open the Playoffs in (wait for it) Baltimore

I like it :thmup:

My thoughts?

@ Jaguars - WIN, 27-17....Not as close as score says. We start slow but separate, especially second half.

@ Patriots - LOSS, 35-23...Brady moves on us at will, we have problems getting TD's in redzone in their house.

Vs. Bills - WIN, 20-17....12th man helps us in crunch time.

@ Lions - LOSS, 31-24....Stafford and Megatron explode, their 12th man and front 7 give some us issues.

Vs. Titans - WIN, 23-13...Agree, keep CJ under 100yrds. Keep their passes underneath and make them make mistakes.

@ Texans - LOSS, 38-17....They show dominance vs. our D in their house. :(

@ Chiefs - LOSS, 21-20....We can't overcome their 12th man in a nasty environment and they squeak it out (please be wrong!!)

Vs. Texans - WIN, 27-24.... We have a plan to attack their D, and they rest big names before first half ends.

\We end up 9 - 7, and slide into the playoffs. Luck gets great playoff intensity exposure, prepares him for the near future. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts?

@ Jaguars - WIN, 27-17....Not as close as score says. We start slow but separate, especially second half.

@ Patriots - LOSS, 35-23...Brady moves on us at will, we have problems getting TD's in redzone in their house.

Vs. Bills - WIN, 20-17....12th man helps us in crunch time.

@ Lions - LOSS, 31-24....Stafford and Megatron explode, their 12th man and front 7 give some us issues.

Vs. Titans - WIN, 23-13...Agree, keep CJ under 100yrds. Keep their passes underneath and make them make mistakes.

@ Texans - LOSS, 38-17....They show dominance vs. our D in their house. :(

@ Chiefs - LOSS, 21-20....We can't overcome their 12th man in a nasty environment and they squeak it out (please be wrong!!)

Vs. Texans - WIN, 27-24.... We have a plan to attack their D, and they rest big names before first half ends.

\We end up 9 - 7, and slide into the playoffs. Luck gets great playoff intensity exposure, prepares him for the near future. :)

If we can't beat the Chiefs we should just lay down for draft position... I know anything can happen in the NFL, but I think there is a better chance that the Houston backups beat us at home in week 17 than KC the week before....