Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comeback Player of the Year

IndyTrav

But either way, I dont think Peyton cares because he has gotten all the accolades he needs, he just needs more rings at this point in his career. :)

Well he just may get a few more..

The Broncos are a pretty scary team right now with the Manning element on their side. He has the weapons on offense to build some early leads, and then defense is designed to just pin the ears of the O-line back and get after the QB. Their secondary is solid and can create a lot of turnovers, they have a solid defense all the way around. With a QB like Manning managing the game and the ability to get into shootouts and win, they're a serious contender this year. This would be true of the Broncos if they got a QB like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.. The Broncos just needed a QB to put them over the top and be a contender, but they were still a good team before his arrival. Again, I don't say that to knock Manning, I say that to credit the Broncos as a whole organization.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broncos were a good team but great, not so fast. Even now, I would not say they are a great team. With Peyton, they have the potential to be. But I do agree that they had enough pieces they could surround Peyton with and needed a QB to get them to the next level. They were a little more one dimensional under Tebow, and now they are not.

Like I said before, you can either go with the PHYSICAL freak or MENTAL freak. What is overlooked is the physical rehab Peyton had to do, that is dismissed because more of us can relate personally to a knee injury than to nerve damage and loss of triceps strength. Forget the fact he could not throw like a great NFL QB, he could not even throw like a middle school QB.

To go from that to where he is now is incredible. Less constants for Peyton - move out of town, audition with teams while rehabbing temporarily at Duke, rehab with different coach after joining Broncos, and collaborate with new OC and new teammates establishing new chemistry. AP - big knee injury, less variables in circumstances surrounding rehab, offensive blocking schemes, teammates etc.

But either way, I dont think Peyton cares because he has gotten all the accolades he needs, he just needs more rings at this point in his career. :)

Well he just may get a few more..

The Broncos are a pretty scary team right now with the Manning element on their side. He has the weapons on offense to build some early leads, and then defense is designed to just pin the ears of the O-line back and get after the QB. Their secondary is solid and can create a lot of turnovers, they have a solid defense all the way around. With a QB like Manning managing the game and the ability to get into shootouts and win, they're a serious contender this year. This would be true of the Broncos if they got a QB like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.. The Broncos just needed a QB to put them over the top and be a contender, but they were still a good team before his arrival. Again, I don't say that to knock Manning, I say that to credit the Broncos as a whole organization.

knowing my rehab post 5 cervical Vetrerbrea, knowing I went threw 2 reconstructed ankles , 1 totally blown apart with all major and some minor ligaments sheared off from the splintered bony fragments, knowing rear ended 2 x in 4 days while unbuckled so can cover up mother and lower back gets ruined, , knowing the rehab of 2 torn rotator cuffs and 1 torn bicep & various other trauma endured

I would take all the rehab put in for the fractured ankles , arms and lower back & NEW current right hip, groin, & knee issues than what I went threw and still am dealing with Regarding my neck & I am being mild in the true difference in comparison,

The cervical rehab is to the rest of the body, for me at least , as different as Manning is to Painter in ability

I know not one analyst , or so called expert out there on TV or online who can really appreciate what Peyton has done from the way they talk & write, its something one must go threw to fully appreciate\

& being a disabled Dr I have a further incite beyond the above

=================================================================================

snapback.pngchad72, on 12 November 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

AqGEED or he would have thrown for a TD to break Marinos tie and not give hillman his first TD on a run, though of course he knows he will break it shortly, but he is unselfish

I don't even understand how Peterson is qualified for the award. Maybe I don't understand the award. I always thought it was for a player who missed significant time the previous season. Or maybe for someone who was out of the league for another reason, like a suspension or being released and playing in another league, etc.

Peterson missed four games last year, spread out over the last half of the season. He last played in Week 15, which is when he hurt his knee. Crazy difficult injury to come back from, especially in a short period of time (I don't know why people are saying five months; December to September is more than five months), and at a really taxing position. But I don't think he missed enough time in 2011 to qualify for this award.

Stafford won in 2011 after missing 13 games in 2010. Vick won in 2010 after being out of the league for two years and riding the bench in 2009. Tom Brady won after missing 15 games. And so on. It's an award for a player who was missing in action for a while, not someone who suffered a bad injury at the end of the previous season.

I don't even understand how Peterson is qualified for the award. Maybe I don't understand the award. I always thought it was for a player who missed significant time the previous season. Or maybe for someone who was out of the league for another reason, like a suspension or being released and playing in another league, etc.

Peterson missed four games last year, spread out over the last half of the season. He last played in Week 15, which is when he hurt his knee. Crazy difficult injury to come back from, especially in a short period of time (I don't know why people are saying five months; December to September is more than five months), and at a really taxing position. But I don't think he missed enough time in 2011 to qualify for this award.

Stafford won in 2011 after missing 13 games in 2010. Vick won in 2010 after being out of the league for two years and riding the bench in 2009. Tom Brady won after missing 15 games. And so on. It's an award for a player who was missing in action for a while, not someone who suffered a bad injury at the end of the previous season.

Yet the TV pundits , those that dont agree with u , actually say hes MVP & COMEBACK PLAYER for the opposite reason , that he was able to comeback so fast and Peyton had all that time to rehab so Peyton should of come back as he has

Unbelivable

Yet the TV pundits , those that dont agree with u , actually say hes MVP & COMEBACK PLAYER for the opposite reason , that he was able to comeback so fast and Peyton had all that time to rehab so Peyton should of come back as he has

Unbelivable

I guess they think playing NFL QB at such a high level is a piece of cake when coming back from all that Peyton has. :)

I do think Peyton is his own worst enemy because the standards and expectations from him are high that when he meets them, it is almost par for the course, 4 neck surgeries or not. :)

Heres an NFL article on AP

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094300/article/adrian-peterson-i-can-still-get-stronger-for-vikings

We're running out of superlatives to describe Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson.

0ap1000000083297.jpg

With apologies to Peyton Manning, the NFL Comeback Player of the Year race is already over. All Day already has that in the bag -- or at least he should. He might take home the league's MVP award before it's all said and done.

Again, this is the same player who shredded his knee in a game last December. Peterson is -- quite literally -- a medical marvel, performing at a level thought to be impossible this soon after reconstructive surgery.

"I can still get stronger," he told The Star Tribune after he went more than 120 yards on the ground in a fourth consecutive week. "I'm still not there, man."

Peterson has rushed for 1,128 yards on 195 carries, averaging a career-best of 5.8 yards per carry. All this while still technically in a recuperation period for his left knee.

Game-rewind_inside.jpg

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.

"Last week in Seattle, on one run, I felt scar tissue break up around my patella tendon on one of my cuts," he told Peter King from Minneapolis. "That's part of the recovery, that scar tissue breaking."

Peterson's recovery has been impressive enough to earn notice from opponents on the field.

"They just tell me that, 'You're great, just some of the things you're doing,'" he said. "I guess it shocked me. You're out there, you're playing against guys and they come up and say different things like that to you."

This is not normal behavior in the NFL. Then again, there's nothing normal about what Peterson is doing right now.

ya its a little tricky of an award and it more judgement than rules or set standards . . . it has to do with a player's perseverance in overcoming adversity and coming back from it . . . and it could be an injury, missed year playing or poor performance . . . and it it really more to do with the timing and severity of the injury as opposed to number of missed games . . .

the posted boy for little games misses is Tedy Bruschi who, after playing in his first pro bowl, was on the top of his game in Feb 2005 and in his early 30s . . . well within a week of his first probowl, he suffered a stroke and found himself in the hospital not know if he would every play again, or if he normal life would return, and if he did return would it have drastic results on a bad hit . . .. he came back midway through the season from this, and never missed a game the year prior as he played in the prior years probowl days before the stroke . .

so even tho he did not miss a game in the prior season [but missed games in the season he won the award] he won the award with steve smith in 2005 . . .

so the candidates can be players who missed an entire season, part or none of a season . . . the key timing point has to due with when the injury happened and how the same is anticipated to effect the following, that is, the player wont be able to play, will not be as effective, etc. . .

Heres an NFL article on AP

http://www.nfl.com/n...ger-for-vikings

Love the scar tissue breaking up, I had thoracic outlet syndrome due to way arm strapped post pacemaker implantation

so hardly could use arm without pain but did anyway

Then 1 day months later , after months of PT that failed I jumped into a pool for first time in summer, & CAME UP SCREAMING

I did a breast stroke and tore at once all the scar tissue & totally fixed the problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of the PT for me they should have, & could have done same with AP maybe but he probably had relatively little accumulated scar tissue post op as explained below

If enough scar tissue to hinder motion or cause pain , one would normally go under anesthesia and have the drs move the area to break up the scar tissue, Had a girlfriend many years ago with reconstructed knee issue post op and thats what they did and next day all better & full raange

AP cant have much scar, surgery must have went really well with little unexpected during it, or wouldn't have enough range of motion to run , let alone cut

Wayne? Reggie Wayne? He played last year and did pretty well...almost 1,000 yards.

The reason I mentioned Reggie was simply because one of the stipulations to the award was previous poor performance. Sure last year he was "decent" but this year he has been outstanding.

2011-75rec 960yds 4TDs

2012- 69rec 931yds 3TDs. In only 9 games

That is a truly significant difference in performance. He's on track for 122/1655. Blowing his previous year away by nearly double. And he's currently leading the league in rec. and 2nd in yards.

He's not going to win it. Not with Peyton/AP. but he too deserves recognition.

Love the scar tissue breaking up, I had thoracic outlet syndrome due to way arm strapped post pacemaker implantation

so hardly could use arm without pain but did anyway

Then 1 day months later , after months of PT that failed I jumped into a pool for first time in summer, & CAME UP SCREAMING

I did a breast stroke and tore at once all the scar tissue & totally fixed the problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of the PT for me they should have, & could have done same with AP maybe but he probably had relatively little accumulated scar tissue post op as explained below

If enough scar tissue to hinder motion or cause pain , one would normally go under anesthesia and have the drs move the area to break up the scar tissue, Had a girlfriend many years ago with reconstructed knee issue post op and thats what they did and next day all better & full raange

AP cant have much scar, surgery must have went really well with little unexpected during it, or wouldn't have enough range of motion to run , let alone cut

It makes me cringe just thinking of scar tissue ripping off while someone is running or moving ha, it sounds like you definitely have quite a bit of experience dealing with injuries. Ive been pretty fortunate most of my life, I've only broke my arm once and other than that, I've really only sprained things. I did mess my ankle up real bad though one time, couldn't even walk on it for a day or 2, but then the pain quickly went away and it was fine, but I find its still easy to roll that ankle years and years later. i didn't properly rehab it, so its not as strong as it should be.

It makes me cringe just thinking of scar tissue ripping off while someone is running or moving ha, it sounds like you definitely have quite a bit of experience dealing with injuries. Ive been pretty fortunate most of my life, I've only broke my arm once and other than that, I've really only sprained things. I did mess my ankle up real bad though one time, couldn't even walk on it for a day or 2, but then the pain quickly went away and it was fine, but I find its still easy to roll that ankle years and years later. i didn't properly rehab it, so its not as strong as it should be.

when u tear an ankle ligament, even if just the mildest of tears, and is not properly immobilized, Picture a small gap between the 2 ends of the ligament that gets filled in with scar and eventuall the body hopefully reforms that to true ligamentous tissue, whether it does or doesnt in either case by filling in a gap that ligament is in effect lengthened and thus cant hold the ankle as tightly together as normal and thus u can have chronic instability and the rolling u noted, sounds like u only did the 1 minor ligament of the 3 or would be more frequent and need surgical work to reconstruct them

======================================================

before my disability, in 1988 i did ankle reconstruction surgery , birth defect corrections of the ankle and bought a practice, & please remember there are good & bad in every profession , from a surgeon who from all i could tell did many a surgery wrong, either a complete incompetent, ( that was at least part of it I would imagine ) or may even have desifgned surgeries to fail so can redo & make more money ,, so my first week I actually had 5 ankle redos to start off my practice which is unheard of, and each was a different issue, thus i got a good reputation for fixing other surgeons mistake

was great while it lasted , i have said this before but the most satisfying aspect of my 6 years in practice was fixing birth defects esp of this 1 , for clubfoot, that had correct procedure at 2 days old that didnt work and some Dr only had special shoe with heel built up or tons of padding in a shoe so back of heel can touch ground and I at age 7 of the child totally opened virtually all major joints in the foot , lengthened various tendons there, took a wedge out of the heel bone and bone after it in the foot it & fused the 2 together to re position how foot works bio mechanically , gave him free orthotics to help position both feet and ankles upon walking as he couldn't afford them and he later wrote me once I was disabled that he was scoring touchdowns for me as he now could finally play running games & I no longer couldn't

Nothing like making a suffering childs smile - exactly why i went into medicine and made my short 6 year career & all that studying worth it

You know where I stand and I remain firm :D

u also have to understand the system

I believe as u do, I just dont trust the process,

it doesnt always end in a just vote, at leastr this time Peyton , that is Broncos has a local writer with a vote, Jeff Legg.... >>>> SPELLING NOTE he is different than listed in the 2009 table explained below

In Indy was not a local writer covering colts that have a vote

Effectively some teams have no local writers with a vote & others have more than 1 and some Have even an extra as have a regional writer too witha preference, like SI Peter King cover's northeast & based in Boston is considered a pat fan so can vote that way if close

FLAWED VOTING PROCESS< THIS GOES FOR ALL AWARDS from 12/31 /2009

http://espn.go.com/b...d-award-process

http://espn.go.com/b...d-award-process

Looking inside year-end award process

Flawed MVP Voting Process ,Real Eye Opener & Why Peyton Shared 1 with McNair

December, 31, 2009

Dec 31

4:35

PM ET

Entire 50 people with votes and city etc affifikliates aligned to are given in a table @ the end where says , this from 2009 , some have changed names but same cities I read somewhere like Denvers has different 1 than 1 in table but still has 1

note there are 2 in wASHINGTON & ANOTHER IN vA SO THAT 3 TO 1 THERE FOR AP IF VOTE THAT WAY

New York & EAST Coast have a ton

Here is a look at the panel of 50 voters assembled by the Associated Press that determines the NFL's year-end awards: MVP, offensive and defensive player of the year, offensive and defensive rookies of the year, comeback player of the year, coach of the year and the All-Pro teams.

Email Print Share

By Paul Kuharsky

Flawed MVP Vote Proces

ARTICLE EXCERPTS

Peyton Manning is expected to win the NFL MVP award, which will come to light Jan. 9.

Like the three he’s won before, the MVP award won’t come with the support of Indianapolis Star reporter Mike Chappell or any other reporter from any medium who has seen all of Manning’s games. That’s because no one who covers the Colts has a vote.

HOWEVER

There are 21 by my count ( NOT ME ARTICLES WRITER ) who may follow the league but are locked in on one team all season, following a team home and away. Their presence has the potential to throw things off for the 12 teams whose markets don’t have such a focused representative.

Tthe fact that the AFC East has a voter connected to each of its teams means more visibility through voters' lenses for a player on a team in that division than for one in the AFC South or NFC South.

In 2003, when Manning and Steve McNair split the MVP award, there was a voter who covered the Titans, but not one who covered the Colts. The Titans writer backed McNair. If there had been a vote out of Indy, it could have offset that and McNair might not have won his half of the trophy.

Two voters the AP considers national cover the Cleveland Browns full time, including home and away games.

It seems most fair to me to have a voter from each of the 32 markets plus national folks, but the days where that’s feasible are probably ending as the media landscape continues to evolve. There were about six spots that changed hands this year.

We shouldn’t expect a perfect distribution, and it shouldn’t be the AP’s goal. It’s not realistic to seek national NFL reporters or analysts who are based in San Diego or Kansas City or Indianapolis.

Still, that 20 percent of the voters are New York-based or 32 percent come from New York, Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia lends itself to complaints of East Coast bias -- an issue I am usually loath to give any credence. For a league that extends from San Diego to Miami to Minneapolis, could things be better dispersed?

MY ADDITION TO ARTICLE IS JUST THIS ( MVP Panel Brees has New Orleans Voter, Farve has Minnesota & Green bay voter, Rivers & Manning no local Voters , check out cities each voter has home base & some give Division affiliation if with specific team, YET U CANT TELL ME THAT PETER KING < BASED IN BOSTON< EVEN THOUGH NO TEAM? DIVISION AFFILIATE IS NOT PRO PATRIOTS , besides the one with a vote who cover Pats )

You know where I stand and I remain firm :D

did u see the part that said

Still, that 20 percent of the voters are New York-based or 32 percent come from New York, Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia lends itself to complaints of East Coast bias -- an issue ...... For a league that extends from San Diego to Miami to Minneapolis, could things be better dispersed?

so many more familar with AP in a sense if not cover him cover those in his division etc and leads at times to regional bias vote I havev read when things are close

This though was only article & an old one I have link for that detailed it

NOW DO U SEE WHY I SAY I DONT LIKE THE PROCESS

did u see the part that said

Still, that 20 percent of the voters are New York-based or 32 percent come from New York, Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia lends itself to complaints of East Coast bias -- an issue ...... For a league that extends from San Diego to Miami to Minneapolis, could things be better dispersed?

so many more familar with AP in a sense if not cover him cover those in his division etc and leads at times to regional bias vote I havev read when things are close

This though was only article & an old one I have link for that detailed it

NOW DO U SEE WHY I SAY I DONT LIKE THE PROCESS

Yeah, I did. As a west coast sports fan, I am definitely familiar with east coast bias. As bad as it is in football, it's much worse in basketball. Some media people routinely demonstrate their lack of knowledge about west coast teams. I understand how it works, but it is discouraging nonetheless.

SI -Stretching The Field, Peter King

A bit of investment advice—double down on physical therapy—has added years (and millions) to Peyton Manning's portfolio

Peyton's ongoing rehab, WOW & another reason he went to Denver,

Before signing with Broncos , while still In Indy he flew out Denver cutting edge specialist greg roskeptf in muscle activation techniques, a rehab specialist to work with as couldnt use colts rehab unit. the specialty finds traumatized muscles & then trains others to compensate for them.

So yeah Peyton had to retrain other Muscles and still is & I emphazize that to those who say its only a neck issue

Former Bronco Safety john lynch , peytons friend, suggested sign with denver so u can still use this guy

Peyton follows a manical body upkeep program now with 2 muscle specialists, 1 the above now employed by the broncos and another discussed below

, today the broncos employ both roskopf and michael leahy a Colorado springs specialist in active realease therapy for muscles, but besides all bronco's using him, peyton on Mondays adds 75 minutes of deep tissue massage then 30 of stretching on tuesdays, wed& Fridays he sees roskopf at his office for painful but helpful treatment & on game days another 30 minutes with Leahy

Now besides this intense rehab routine Peyton says he feels like a child with his mandated diet by broncos nutritionist snyder, this guy directs peytons cook on what he can make & on what days, like pasta night on thurdsays & he walks Peyton threw the Bronco's cafeteria saying u can have 1 piece of this and 2 of that. Peyton says he feels like he is being treated like child being told what to eat

http://sportsillustr...06327/index.htm

Before signing with Broncos , while still In Indy he flew out Denver cutting edge specialist greg roskeptf in muscle activation techniques, a rehab specialist to work with as couldnt use colts rehab unit. the specialty finds traumatized muscles & then trains others to compensate for them.

Thanks for posting this article. I've gone through ART for my overuse injuries. It's quite painful but very effective. I'm glad Denver has some great practitioners. Thank you, John Lynch!

Thanks for posting this article. I've gone through ART for my overuse injuries. It's quite painful but very effective. I'm glad Denver has some great practitioners. Thank you, John Lynch!

My Drs are to afraid for me to try it as the slightest error in manipulation & I wont be able to get off the massage table by myself & will be wheel chair bound, my condition is just that unique and thready

Thats it for me today

GUESS HOW I FOUND THE ARTICLE

'took car in for routine service at 730 this morning so can be first in line as opens at 8

so sitting and waitiong for it and looked down on table at left and there was a SI with JJ watt on the cover from Nov 5, 12 at the right in black letters in a res boz x it said Tony Gonzolez, Peyton Manning & footballs Fountain of youtrh By Peter King

so picked it up , turned to page noted and there was the article, took home, after asking, the SI mag & googled title by peter king and found it to post here

By the way the article actually has an added part called prolong shots and King picks his OLD GUYS TEAM, of 30 + year olds

, There are 5 broncos Peyton, Brookings, Stokely, Mcgahee, & of course Bailey

& for the Colt fans out there ex colt Jeff Saturday is at center & from the way the D is contructed, he uses a 3-4 defense

davis_2.jpg

/thread

Entering this season Thomas Davis had played in only 4 games since October 2009. The ACL in his right knee was completely torn & reconstructed THREE times in less than 23 months. The last injury occured in week 2 of last season. Everyone assumed his career was over. There was no way a player could tear the same ACL 3 times in 2 years & play again in the NFL.

Thomas Davis took a $6 million per year paycut this offseason & endured a 3rd reconstructive surgery & rehab to remain a Carolina Panther & return to the NFL. Doctors told him it was too risky & he wouldn't be able to stay healthy. The fan base, while they love him, were convinced he was done & would only get himself hurt again. Thomas Davis is not only back on the field, he is starting & playing at an All-Pro level. He is the anchor of our defense, a team captain, & playing great football.

29 year old linebacker, right ACL reconstructed 3 times in 23 months, playing at an All-Pro level. The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award should already be on his mantle.

a great story but Peyton will get it.

I thought it was Peyton all along.

But now Adrian Peterson is coming on fast.

And what about the dark horse. Reggie Wayne.

Peyton's problem is Denver made the playoffs last year. Will that hinder his chances?

Has to be Manning hands down... plenty of players are coming back fast from ACL / knee injuries.

Manning had nerve damage to his arm... and still does. Remarkable.