Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comeback Player of the Year

IndyTrav

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Peyton has it locked up at all. The more I think about it the more I think it favors AP. Peyton had a full year off, to rehab an arm and was signed by a division winning, playoff team. And probably won't lead a single QB stat category.....AP shredded a knee in every possible aspect, and came back in 5 months, possibly on his way to the rushing title, on a team who is one win away from doubling last years record...

Peyton is a top 5 MVP candidate for me. He's got it.

That's the problem with MVPs. It's a QB award.

I don't think it's outlandish to think he's in the MVP talk. I too think he is top 5 in the race.

But one player is going to lead his peers in nearly every stat category (at this point), after coming off of a career threating injury, in record time. That's AP.

Peterson has a good case, but Peyton is lighting it up. It is the comeback story that voters eat up. There were questions about whether or not he would ever play again, he was let go by his team, people even doubted his abilities right up 'til the first regular season game. Now he's playing at an MVP level. Not to say that AP isn't, but I think Manning's entire story is more compelling, at least to the voters.

I thought it was Peyton all along.

But now Adrian Peterson is coming on fast.

And what about the dark horse. Reggie Wayne.

Peyton's problem is Denver made the playoffs last year. Will that hinder his chances?

I have to admit.....Peterson is a comeback candidate......There was no reason to believe he'd be ready for the opener.....

Its true that he wasnt cut from his team..and he doesnt play every offensive down...

I don think the playoffs will matter because the assumption there is that Minnesota makes the playoffs this season and they wont...they have 2 games with the Bears and that's 2 losses...

Is comeback player....voted on during the regular season only??

I thought it was Peyton all along.

But now Adrian Peterson is coming on fast.

And what about the dark horse. Reggie Wayne.

Peyton's problem is Denver made the playoffs last year. Will that hinder his chances?

I have felt AP was the comeback player of the year at the midway point in the season . . . we must not forget that he had a torn ACL and MCL in late December and as of the midway point of the season was leading the league in rushing (although he had played 8 games) . . .on Sunday I think he put up over 180 yards to further his lead and is near a 1000 yards at the 9 game mark . .. has a average per carry of over 5 yards and likely is having his best season since his first . . .

So for me it has been AP for as long as the awards have been talked about . . .

i think Manning has done very well for himself in Denver, but PM is not leading the league in any catagory that I am aware of . . .also, many times we look at W/L records and the Broncos have only beaten one team with the winning records, and that was at home without some of the teams top defensive players . . .and also, Tim Tebow was 7-4 with the same team and is has added some talent since then and presently Manning has them at 5-3, which is good, but as of yet not that much farther off than a QB, who many consider is not even a vialble NFL QB, did with the same team . . .

for me it comes down to, find me a RB in our history that is less than 12 months removed from a major knee injury and is leading the NFL in the key stat of rushing yards . . . you not going to find them as it has not happened before, and as such I will take AP over anybody . . .

AP played last year, Manning didn't, and many believed Manning wouldn't be the same.

He's arguably the MVP right now, and he's definitely the CPOY

That doesn't matter. It's defined as missing the previous year, severe injury, or previous poor performance.....

I have to ask. Why is it Peyton?

Yehiodi had an excellent post in regards to AP.

That doesn't matter. It's defined as missing the previous year, severe injury, or previous poor performance.....

Peyton is the MVP right now. That makes him the Comeback player too. But Peyton is also 2nd in TDs and passing yards, 1st in completition percentage, 1st in yards per attempt, 1st in qb rating, 1st in QBR, has the most 4th quarter tds, and his efforts have his team in first place in the division.

AP played last year, Manning didn't, and many believed Manning wouldn't be the same.

He's arguably the MVP right now, and he's definitely the CPOY

The issue of comeback player of the year is coming back from adversity, which can be in the form of not being in the NFL the year prior (PM altho he was not put on IR), coming back from severe injury (AP here), or simply a poor performance from the prior year . . . the fact that AP played before his injury is irrelevant as the injury is the timing point of when you look back for being comeback player of the year . . .

EDIT: And think we must remember that PM was throwing last year and the Colts simply decided to not play him . . . so it is not like he got injuried, placed in IR and was not seen again until last August . . . AP's track is not that dissimiliar than McGahee 2004 award . . . altho his injury might of been more survere, he had a year more to recovery and gained about 1200 yards all season . . . whereas AP is one year closer to his injury and might have 1200 after 11 games . . .

...i think Manning has done very well for himself in Denver, but PM is not leading the league in any catagory that I am aware of . .

Passer rating, average yards per catch, completion percentage. Tied for second in total yards with Andrew Luck. (Both are four yards behind Brady) Eli is in first right now, but the Giants haven't had their bye yet.

Top all that off with 4 would be TD's that resulted in fumbles or fall downs, the vast majority of his incompletions have been receiver drops, and no run game to speak of.

I think noodle arm is doing pretty darn good. Good for the elite healthy QB's of the league - let alone the fact he's coming off four neck surgeries...and playing on a completely new team on top of it. That second part is what makes it the most impressive. Swapped teams and didn't really miss a beat outside that 3 INT game...even then the Broncos were right there at the end against the 8-0 Atlanta Falcons. One defensive stop away from you know who leading a game winning TD drive.

Your points with AP are all valid - he's a heck of a player and having a great year coming off some nasty injuries. I think the fact Manning is playing not on a team he's been on for twelve seasons and still throwing up the numbers he does puts him over the top.

Passer rating, average yards per catch, completion percentage. Tied for second in total yards with Andrew Luck. (Both are four yards behind Brady) Eli is in first right now, but the Giants haven't had their bye yet.

Top all that off with 4 would be TD's that resulted in fumbles or fall downs, and the vast majority of his incompletions have been receiver drops, I think noodle arm is doing pretty darn good. Good for the elite healthy QB's of the league - let alone the fact he's coming off four neck surgeries...and playing on a completely new team on top of it.

That second part is what makes it the most impressive. Swapped teams and didn't really miss a beat outside that 3 INT game...even though the Broncos were right there at the end.

Your points with AP are all valid - he's a heck of a player and having a great year coming off some nasty injuries.

Yep, AP is familiar with the blocking schemes and his job, while it does depend on others, the others' jobs do not heavily depend on him the way an offensive system depends on a QB. Getting WRs and TEs on the same page plus the O-line, and it is not like it is a replica of the Colts' offensive system either that Peyton is running. That, to me, cements Peyton's importance on a slightly higher level than AP's.

Just because Brady and Peyton make their jobs look easy doesn't mean that ungodly amounts of work do not go into those mentally. The physical aspect of it is a given for most elite players, the mental aspect can be overlooked when they make it look easy.

Top all that off with 4 would be TD's that resulted in fumbles or fall downs, the vast majority of his incompletions have been receiver drops, and no run game to speak of.

I think noodle arm is doing pretty darn good. Good for the elite healthy QB's of the league - let alone the fact he's coming off four neck surgeries...and playing on a completely new team on top of it. That second part is what makes it the most impressive. Swapped teams and didn't really miss a beat outside that 3 INT game...even then the Broncos were right there at the end against the 8-0 Atlanta Falcons. One defensive stop away from you know who leading a game winning TD drive.

Your points with AP are all valid - he's a heck of a player and having a great year coming off some nasty injuries. I think the fact Manning is playing not on a team he's been on for twelve seasons and still throwing up the numbers he does puts him over the top.

Yep, AP is familiar with the blocking schemes and his job, while it does depend on others, the others' jobs do not heavily depend on him the way an offensive system depends on a QB. Getting WRs and TEs on the same page plus the O-line, and it is not like it is a replica of the Colts' offensive system either that Peyton is running. That, to me, cements Peyton's importance on a slightly higher level than AP's.

I he elevates those around him, not just offense, teaching DT route running, what great 1st routes for ist downs he ran before that injury, he never had that, started showing route ability last game

& the D is psyched

& entire team knows he can turn a game around and they are never out of it etc etc etc & hes teaching the coaches some things tooo0000000

^Not that either of us can fault someone for choosing AP. He's an insane RB. IMO though it has to go to Peyton.

AP is insane and had much ligament damage, biut knees were fixed before though he came back faster than most, what Peyton is doing is well without precedent and sure had doubters he should even try, its Historic

Just because Brady and Peyton make their jobs look easy doesn't mean that ungodly amounts of work do not go into those mentally. The physical aspect of it is a given for most elite players, the mental aspect can be overlooked when they make it look easy.

I don't think it's fair to involve "team" aspect into the conversation all tho it is inevitable. Peyton IS playing for a new team, and IS performing at an MVP level. But the team made the playoffs last year and went 7-4 with Tebow....AP isn't on a new team, but his team is 1 win away from doubling last seasons win total, in arguably the best division in football, mostly on the legs of Peterson.

At the end of the day, the QB is going to win out, that's just the NFL today, but that doesn't make APs comeback anything less than award winning.

I don't think it's fair to involve "team" aspect into the conversation all tho it is inevitable. Peyton IS playing for a new team, and IS performing at an MVP level. But the team made the playoffs last year and went 7-4 with Tebow....AP isn't on a new team, but his team is 1 win away from doubling last seasons win total, in arguably the best division in football, mostly on the legs of Peterson.

At the end of the day, the QB is going to win out, that's just the NFL today, but that doesn't make APs comeback anything less than award winning.

That is what will end up factoring into this eventually (the same factor that got Peyton MVP over Brees and Favre in 2009 because of having to work with 2 rookie WRs in Garcon and Collie without Harrison and Gonzo going down game 1)!!! Peterson was a physical freak entering the NFL and just showed us he is still a physical freak with his recovery and comeback. Peyton is the mental freak. We will see if they reward the physical freak or the mental freak!!! :)

To be frank i would hope that as PM is a great HOF QB that is expected, that he play well for another team. Heck Brett Farve had one of his best statistical seasons in his first year in Min in 2009, even lead the league in the lowest INT%, this Brett Farve we are talking about . . .

So I would except him to play well in his first year in another team . . . that is what makes him great as opposed to a average run of the mill QB . . . we still have the rest of the season to see what happens . . . but for me a guy that is leading the league at position where cuting back and forth is of all importance and is doing so with an injury that has direct impact on said movement is just amazing . . . and not only that . . . he might put up say 1800 yards or so, which would put his season among the best of all time, not just among his peers for the given season . . . and to do this 9 month removed from major knee injury is just amazing . . .

To be frank i would hope that as PM is a great HOF QB that is expected, that he play well for another team. Heck Brett Farve had one of his best statistical seasons in his first year in Min in 2009, even lead the league in the lowest INT%, this Brett Farve we are talking about . . .

So I would except him to play well in his first year in another team . . . that is what makes him great as opposed to a average run of the mill QB . . . we still have the rest of the season to see what happens . . . but for me a guy that is leading the league at position where cuting back and forth is of all importance and is doing so with an injury that has direct impact on said movement is just amazing . . . and not only that . . . he might put up say 1800 yards or so, which would put his season among the best of all time, not just among his peers for the given season . . . and to do this 9 month removed from major knee injury is just amazing . . .

Maybe they can Co win it & recognize both as great achievements

As crazy as this may sound, I think Peyton has a better shot at MVP then he does at winning the CPOTY award. The argument Moose is making actually supports Peyton for MVP more than Peyton for CPOTY award. This was a Broncos team that people were picking to finish no better than 6-10 this year because they weren't going to produce the same miracles they did last year. But Peyton comes in and has them in contention for a 1st round bye and they've heavily improved there offense, from 23rd in yards and 25th in scoring last year to 3rd in yards and 4th in scoring this year through 8 games. Not only are his numbers astounding, his story is very compelling and will help him win it over Ryan or any other candidate as long as the Broncos finish strong, preferably 12-4(or better).

But CPOTY on the other hand, it could go either way. Yes people though Peyton would retire and if he came back, he'd never be the same player he was before. But ADP came back from his injury in shorter time span and is putting together one of his best season's ever and has done it on a team with a terrible passing game. So he's the focus for every defense and he's still getting his yards. So there is a strong argument for both sides on who should win this award.

Lowest INT%? Brett Farve?

My mind = blown.

All valid points, like I said I can't fault someone for choosing AP. He's a beast no question.

AP is playing strong, but he played majority of the season. Peyton missed all of last year, and is coming off of a bigger injury. He is also playing at MVP level. If he wins the MVP, he is the best in the league, and obviously makes him the best to comeback from an injry.

What about Reggie though? He wasn't injured.

4 neck surgeries for Peyton, poor triceps strength, we dont have a precedent, or do we??? AP's knee injury precedents, do we have any???

Ultimately, it depends on whose injury is considered more serious to come back from to produce at a high level for their position and the variables surrounding their comeback.

To me, AP's injury MAY have had the more physically demanding rehab but Peyton's comeback had a pretty physically demanding rehab as well but also a mental component that accompanied it to a higher degree because of him having to cut ties to a system he knew like the back of his hand to another system and other variables too. If Peyton had to come back to Wayne and his Colts' offensive system and a familiar set of coaches and conditioning staff, AP gets the nod. But with Peyton going to a different division, stadium, players, training staff for rehab, and offensive system, he has had to overcome far more variables in his comeback than AP, hands down, in addition to all the physical work he had to put in to get back to 100% strength. Just because he is playing close to the Peyton of old, we have forgotten all that we had read and written about his arm strength, accuracy etc.

Remember, Brett Favre went to the Vikings because he knew the system Childress ran and it was very similar to what he ran at Green Bay. He knew the division, knew the system, all those things could not be applied for Peyton. Heck, Brady got comeback player of the year for coming back to a system he was familiar with and producing excellent numbers in 2009. Peyton should in fact walk away with this award, the more I think about the variables involved in his comeback.

4 neck surgeries for Peyton, poor triceps strength, we dont have a precedent, or do we??? AP's knee injury precedents, do we have any???

Ultimately, it depends on whose injury is considered more serious to come back from to produce at a high level for their position and the variables surrounding their comeback.

To me, AP's injury MAY have had the more physically demanding rehab but Peyton's comeback had a pretty physically demanding rehab as well but also a mental component that accompanied it to a higher degree because of him having to cut ties to a system he knew like the back of his hand to another system and other variables too. If Peyton had to come back to Wayne and his Colts' offensive system and a familiar set of coaches and conditioning staff, AP gets the nod. But with Peyton going to a different division, stadium, players, training staff for rehab, and offensive system, he has had to overcome far more variables in his comeback than AP, hands down, in addition to all the physical work he had to put in to get back to 100% strength. Just because he is playing close to the Peyton of old, we have forgotten all that we had read and written about his arm strength, accuracy etc.

Remember, Brett Favre went to the Vikings because he knew the system Childress ran and it was very similar to what he ran at Green Bay. He knew the division, knew the system, all those things could not be applied for Peyton. Heck, Brady got comeback player of the year for coming back to a system he was familiar with and producing excellent numbers in 2009. Peyton should in fact walk away with this award, the more I think about the variables involved in his comeback.

Peyton 4 surgeries was a totally unknown thing for football too , Doing surgery with scar tissue already , this is no easy challege , there is a reason he went to europe to try / investigate stem cells first

( i need another spinal neck procedure on 2 cervical areas at least but with my scar tissue from 5 veterbrae operated on in the 1980's they dont want to go back in at all & neither do I , unless I simply cant cope,))

many doubted Peyton should even try playing let alone start anew with a new team out of his comfort zone in Indy,

who doubted AP would ever play again, it is just how fast he is back thats truly suprising

Lowest INT%? Brett Farve?

My mind = blown.

All valid points, like I said I can't fault someone for choosing AP. He's a beast no question.

Yes and Manning is playing strong too . . . we'll just have to wait to see how the next 8 weeks shakes out . . . its going to be exciting . . .

and you guys have two teams to cheer for . . . :cheer2:

davis_2.jpg

/thread

Entering this season Thomas Davis had played in only 4 games since October 2009. The ACL in his right knee was completely torn & reconstructed THREE times in less than 23 months. The last injury occured in week 2 of last season. Everyone assumed his career was over. There was no way a player could tear the same ACL 3 times in 2 years & play again in the NFL.

Thomas Davis took a $6 million per year paycut this offseason & endured a 3rd reconstructive surgery & rehab to remain a Carolina Panther & return to the NFL. Doctors told him it was too risky & he wouldn't be able to stay healthy. The fan base, while they love him, were convinced he was done & would only get himself hurt again. Thomas Davis is not only back on the field, he is starting & playing at an All-Pro level. He is the anchor of our defense, a team captain, & playing great football.

29 year old linebacker, right ACL reconstructed 3 times in 23 months, playing at an All-Pro level. The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award should already be on his mantle.