Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 topics to discuss

jwilli69

1. The td drop by TY in the endzone

2. The horrific officiating

3. The coaching dcision to play passive with 3:49 left at the end of the game.

I have not seen much discussion around the drop for the EASY td to Hilton. There were a couple other easy drops that hit receivers hands as well including Ballard and I think Avery that just makes you wonder, what preperation does the team make to help the hands? In prior games you could say Luck over/under throw his receiver but the passes today were mostly on the money save a couple.

As for the refs, you always get the sense the refs are just here to screw us in some way. Whatever Polian did to the officials over the years still has them irked at the Colts it seems at times. I can only imagine the tape the Colts send into the league and say really, do we still have replacement guys here or does the other side send you all a check? This game was at home and we get jacked around and have calls go against us that if were called both ways, I'd be ok with but man, they ignored several blatant calls that would have been for us. Rediculous to me. Won despite of them anyway!!

I was shocked to see us run run pass to run out the clock with nearly 4 minutes left in the game and they had 2 timeouts left. I feel like that was a wrong call at the time and still do. That was playing/hoping for a Miami meltdown. It maybe would have been more acceptable IF the game was more than 3 points but all they had to do was get in field goal range to tie and go to OT. Play to win, not to lose. That was a weak non aggressive call and it will cost us a game at some point. Not the call I expected unless it was a dungy or Caldwell led team. I thought we were to become a more aggressive team not the same candy butt team of prior years. Crazy!!

Thoughts? And I know, we won be happy right? Just thoughts moving ahead.

1) Reggie needs to show them where he got his orange gloves.

2) We got some call on our end as well, so we can't complain too much.

3) I didn't like that play calling either, but our D really stepped up. I think a big part of that was Powers going out, and Butler actually covering his man.

Then when we started running it again on the last possesion, I was all mad.....then Ballard took 15 guys for a 15 yard piggyback ride. I calmed down pretty quickly.

1. Agreed. TY needs to improve his hands, and Avery too (however he drops fewer pass). Though Ballard is a RB, RBs are involved in pass plays (pass short and run the ball), but he is OK in that matter. As far as I can see TY needs to improve the most. That dropped pass close to endzone... We would have a comfortable lead.

2. Officials... We aren't the only team that is troubled with officials. I think this is league's competence to fix this situation. I think they could have make some more calls on us. I find more annoying that we keep comitting stupid faults and receiving tons of penalties.

3. Arians wanted to kill the clock... I can't read his mind, but I was close to heart attack in the last 4 minutes. Fact, we lost the ball to easy within that time. If we hadn't lost the ball at that point, we had possessed it till the end, without any nervous breakdown.

3) I didn't like that play calling either ....

Yah, not sure we want Luck throwing nearly 50 passes every game ... I certainly hope that is an anomaly as I think being pass heavy like that brings down his completion percentage. Indy is top 3 in passes per game this season - if we could become just a bit more balanced I think his completion percentage would go up as well.

You hate to see guys drop the ball but elite receivers drop the ball all the time.

When need to run the ball and end games. Over the past decade how many games did we lose with a lead where we needed to run the ball and instead went three and out passing?

1) Reggie needs to show them where he got his orange gloves.

2) We got some call on our end as well, so we can't complain too much.

3) I didn't like that play calling either, but our D really stepped up. I think a big part of that was Powers going out, and Butler actually covering his man.

Then when we started running it again on the last possesion, I was all mad.....then Ballard took 15 guys for a 15 yard piggyback ride. I calmed down pretty quickly.

We got a few calls sure but what I am talking about is blatant calls that would have/should have been called for us were not called yet tick tack crap were for them.

I said to my friends at the game, I wished RW would teach these kids how to catch a ball cause they need instruction and/or practice time with the cannon ball shooter.

The defense did step up but honestly can you say you expected them to do so? No and it was a gamble that was not needed IMO. For the last possession, I was ok with the running. They were out of TO and time would have been 15 seconds or so if we didn't get the first, we made it improbable to get the ball in place for a FG and it would have been desperation hail Mary time.

We do need to be able to run more but if its not working what can you do. His completion % was much better this week. Still would like a few more screens to the backs. Arians really wanted to run the ball to end the game, which we all would love to be able to do. Still need some improvement on the Oline to be able to do that. When teams know you are going to run the oline has to be able to just blow the man off his feet in front of him.

We do need to be able to run more but if its not working what can you do. His completion % was much better this week. Still would like a few more screens to the backs. Arians really wanted to run the ball to end the game, which we all would love to be able to do. Still need some improvement on the Oline to be able to do that. When teams know you are going to run the oline has to be able to just blow the man off his feet in front of him.

Exactly!! We all want to run the ball and close out the clock but the other team knows you want to do that as well. We are not a running team yet and they are better against the rush. 4 minutes was just too much time to do it IMO.

I have not seen much discussion around the drop for the EASY td to Hilton. There were a couple other easy drops that hit receivers hands as well including Ballard and I think Avery that just makes you wonder, what preperation does the team make to help the hands? In prior games you could say Luck over/under throw his receiver but the passes today were mostly on the money save a couple.

As for the refs, you always get the sense the refs are just here to screw us in some way. Whatever Polian did to the officials over the years still has them irked at the Colts it seems at times. I can only imagine the tape the Colts send into the league and say really, do we still have replacement guys here or does the other side send you all a check? This game was at home and we get jacked around and have calls go against us that if were called both ways, I'd be ok with but man, they ignored several blatant calls that would have been for us. Rediculous to me. Won despite of them anyway!!

I was shocked to see us run run pass to run out the clock with nearly 4 minutes left in the game and they had 2 timeouts left. I feel like that was a wrong call at the time and still do. That was playing/hoping for a Miami meltdown. It maybe would have been more acceptable IF the game was more than 3 points but all they had to do was get in field goal range to tie and go to OT. Play to win, not to lose. That was a weak non aggressive call and it will cost us a game at some point. Not the call I expected unless it was a dungy or Caldwell led team. I thought we were to become a more aggressive team not the same candy butt team of prior years. Crazy!!

In all fairness to T.Y. he did make up for it with that TD catch where he jumped over 2 defenders to come down with it in the endzone.

I don't have too much to complain about, the team is still growing and learning and they improve each game. Regarding the refs, it was pretty normal, but some huge missed calls irritated me, such as the LEAP FROG! Vernon pushed off o line backs and leap frogged over to block Vinny's 54 yard field goal attempt in the 2nd @ 2:29! I saw it live and it's very obvious on replay! Should this not have been called?????

You want honest feedback, well here it is.

1) Hilton should have caught it. No doubt about it but it happens. He also made a couple of great plays as well and is a key building block for the future.

2) Complaining about the refs is nonsense to me. Go the Fins bouard and they are complaining as well. The Colts won and were most assuredly the benefactors of some calls as well. Complaining about the refs is for losers although I am not sure how that translates in a game the Colts freaking won.

3) Answer honestly - if they had thrown 3 times to get the first down and had incompletions on all of 'em, would you be complaining about the play calls then too? What's more is that they have out the clock in recent weeks with the run game. And for an example I give you the same freaking game you are griping about. The entire world knew what the last play of the game was going to be and yet they still converted on Ballard's run. Or how the salted away the Browns game with the run. Play calling is not the issue. Execution is.

1. Drops happen. They suck when they do, but even Calvin Johnson drops balls. Hilton also made some big plays for us so it all balanced out in the end.

2. I didn't notice much on the officiating end. If you ask me, we probably got the longer end of the stick in that department. If anyone should be complaining it should be Miami.

3. One of the first games this year that I actually liked Arians play calling. Most teams would do a run, run, pass in that situation. We just weren't getting a ton of push against a pretty stout Dline.

1. Agreed. TY needs to improve his hands, and Avery too (however he drops fewer pass). Though Ballard is a RB, RBs are involved in pass plays (pass short and run the ball), but he is OK in that matter. As far as I can see TY needs to improve the most. That dropped pass close to endzone... We would have a comfortable lead.

2. Officials... We aren't the only team that is troubled with officials. I think this is league's competence to fix this situation. I think they could have make some more calls on us. I find more annoying that we keep comitting stupid faults and receiving tons of penalties.

3. Arians wanted to kill the clock... I can't read his mind, but I was close to heart attack in the last 4 minutes. Fact, we lost the ball to easy within that time. If we hadn't lost the ball at that point, we had possessed it till the end, without any nervous breakdown.

Agreed, buy overall TY Hilton has show big play ability we will all be smiling 3 years from now about this guy

You want honest feedback, well here it is.

1) Hilton should have caught it. No doubt about it but it happens. He also made a couple of great plays as well and is a key building block for the future.

2) Complaining about the refs is nonsense to me. Go the Fins bouard and they are complaining as well. The Colts won and were most assuredly the benefactors of some calls as well. Complaining about the refs is for losers although I am not sure how that translates in a game the Colts freaking won.

3) Answer honestly - if they had thrown 3 times to get the first down and had incompletions on all of 'em, would you be complaining about the play calls then too? What's more is that they have out the clock in recent weeks with the run game. And for an example I give you the same freaking game you are griping about. The entire world knew what the last play of the game was going to be and yet they still converted on Ballard's run. Or how the salted away the Browns game with the run. Play calling is not the issue. Execution is.

Yes Hilton did make some great plays and I'm not saying he sucks and needs cut. I am merely pointing out he missed an easy TD and he has missed other balls that have hit him in the hands. Yes other good players drop balls but not many miss balls that are not contested and hit them in the hands. Hilton needs to work on his hands. That's my take

As for the refs, they missed calls that were blatant. The no call when a player went at Lucks knee after the ball left his hand. If that was Brady, the call is made no question. The call near the endzone was called by a distant ref instead of the guy staring at the play who should have called it but we got lucky on that call being made. Wr's getting mugged and not being called but we get called for it. Could go on and on. The point is the NFL needs to get this resolved and perhaps with the ability to sit refs for being bad next year, it will have an effect. If discussion is being a "loser" than maybe you should hide your mirror!

I am NOT griping about the game jerk, I am making observations. Discussion on topics I noticed. I would rather have thrown the ball and make a play ( since it had worked in over 433 other yards) instead of run run run when it hadn't worked well all game. If the time split would have been in the 2 minute range instead then yes, you run clock and make them use timeouts. It was a bad cautious call that ended up working out for the colts but it had a bigger chance to not work out. I want controlled aggressiveness instead of playing not to lose. If we had a bowling ball runnIng game then I would be more accepting of it but we know we don't and so did the other team. Nothing wrong with ending a game on your strength instead of hoping your weakness comes through or that your defense that is I consistent will make the stop knowing they have plenty of time and don't have to rush decisions. Coaching decisions can get better.

Yes Hilton did make some great plays and I'm not saying he sucks and needs cut. I am merely pointing out he missed an easy TD and he has missed other balls that have hit him in the hands. Yes other good players drop balls but not many miss balls that are not contested and hit them in the hands. Hilton needs to work on his hands. That's my take

As for the refs, they missed calls that were blatant. The no call when a player went at Lucks knee after the ball left his hand. If that was Brady, the call is made no question. The call near the endzone was called by a distant ref instead of the guy staring at the play who should have called it but we got lucky on that call being made. Wr's getting mugged and not being called but we get called for it. Could go on and on. The point is the NFL needs to get this resolved and perhaps with the ability to sit refs for being bad next year, it will have an effect. If discussion is being a "loser" than maybe you should hide your mirror!

I am NOT griping about the game jerk, I am making observations. Discussion on topics I noticed. I would rather have thrown the ball and make a play ( since it had worked in over 433 other yards) instead of run run run when it hadn't worked well all game. If the time split would have been in the 2 minute range instead then yes, you run clock and make them use timeouts. It was a bad cautious call that ended up working out for the colts but it had a bigger chance to not work out. I want controlled aggressiveness instead of playing not to lose. If we had a bowling ball runnIng game then I would be more accepting of it but we know we don't and so did the other team. Nothing wrong with ending a game on your strength instead of hoping your weakness comes through or that your defense that is I consistent will make the stop knowing they have plenty of time and don't have to rush decisions. Coaching decisions can get better.

Why John, you called me a jerk and I am pretty sure that is againtst board rules. You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Learn to know the difference between play calling & execution. They ran twice and got to 3rd and managable while forcing the Fins to use a timeout and run some clock. If they keep Luck clean in the pocket on 3rd down, then given the way the game went, there is a high probability of a conversion. Fact is the Fins made a play and the Colts did not. They got players on scholarship too. The series of calls was entirely reasonable and not the abomination you seem to think it was.

Some people like to complain just for the sake of it.

Why John, you called me a jerk and I am pretty sure that is againtst board rules. You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Learn to know the difference between play calling & execution. They ran twice and got to 3rd and managable while forcing the Fins to use a timeout and run some clock. If they keep Luck clean in the pocket on 3rd down, then given the way the game went, there is a high probability of a conversion. Fact is the Fins made a play and the Colts did not. They got players on scholarship too. The series of calls was entirely reasonable and not the abomination you seem to think it was.

Some people like to complain just for the sake of it.

Yes I did call you a jerk and yes I know it is against board rules and yes I knew there would be a whiner who goes to the principle and guess what, I didn't care. You don't seem to understand the difference between a complainer and a discussion. You called me a whiner, a griper and a loser sooooo

Yes I did call you a jerk and yes I know it is against board rules and yes I knew there would be a whiner who goes to the principle and guess what, I didn't care. You don't seem to understand the difference between a complainer and a discussion. You called me a whiner, a griper and a loser sooooo

I did not go to the principal. Never have and never will. If they see it, it is only because they stumbled across it.

I understand plenty and most notably the game of football. I find your "observations" to be full of holes that can easily be discounted with facts and reason. Let me again address your takes.

1) Hilton needs to work on his hands. Really? You know who else knows that? Hilton. And Arians. And Pagano. And anyone else who has watched the game. He is still a playmaker and a building block for them.

2) Fans complain about officials. It is what they do. But I find it comical that your complaints are lodged in a game they won. More so, I went to the Fins board and they are making the same complaints. The fact is the Colts won because they made more plays not because of official's calls.

3) See my previous post about the completely reasonable play calling.

There was horrific officiating? Really? I must have been watching another game.

The Dolphins got hit with more penalties.... and some of them were questionable...

I thought we caught plenty of breaks with the zebras...

I had no issue with the officials.... other than they threw a lot of flags on both teams. But Miami got more.

I agree the thread is from a complainer.

He thinks flying down the field with someone chasing him with 60,000 people watching, yelling and a ball comes over your shoulder and you have maybe .2 of a second to make a play is EASY. lmao!

If run run pass had worked Arians is a genius. Running on 1st down is obvious. Running on 2nd down is logical. Making the play on 3rd down was running 66%.

Sound coaching plain and simple.

Reggie had the best hands in his draft. THAT is why the Colts took him. It pick was a big surprise and questioned.

Lots of balls are dropped in any game you watch. Besides Andrew was off target on MOST of his throws the first 6 games. Behind on most throws, HIGH on many, late on most. There were chances for defenders to contest many of his throws. A number of our "drops" go to Andrew.

Avery has shown very good hands, and Hilton has good-average or better hands. Not an issue at all.

i shook my head a few times at the Refs calls. A typical Sunday.