Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-Week 9 Draft/FA Mock

Free Agency Targets : The theme - Young and dominant.

WR Mike Williams (PIT) - As an eventual successor to Wayne, having Williams on the field will be reminiscent of the Harrison/Wayne days in Indy. How dangerous does that sound?

OT Ryan Clady (DEN) - Clady is on my wish list simply because he's one of the best left tackles out there. I don't know what the move would be if it meant putting either him or Costanzo at RT, but having two good T's on the team would help out a lot.

DE Michael Johnson (CIN) - This guy is 6'7", 270. Aka...Cory Redding's new partner in crime. Getting a guy like this will allow us to have real personnel up front to run a legit 3-4 defense. If you've ever seen him play...he's such a beast.

OLB Connor Barwin (HOU) - He'll likely be getting the franchise tag, but it won't stop me from putting him on my list. Freeney is great, but not $14 mil worth of great. He's likely gone next season unless he wants to take a big pay cut and we'll need another pass-rushing linebacker.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Love him or hate him, he's still really, really good. He already has 3 INT's on the year, which is 1 more than all Colts combined right now. Powers is getting dominated and not making a great case for a contract extension in my book. Sure, they'll keep him around, but I think he's a nickel back on our team. We need more talent at CB and DRC is going to be available.

The Draft

As it stands right now, we'd be picking at 24 based on W/L % so I'll go with that.

1st Round - 24th Overall - Chance Warmack OG Alabama - With a lot of talent at the Tackle position, Warmack could make it to the 24th spot. Seems to be a fan favorite for 1st round on these boards.

3rd Round - 86th Overall - Robert Lester SS Alabama - He's the 2nd best SS in the draft and we could use the upgrade/depth - however you want to look at it. Zibby doesn't seem like the longterm answer here.

4th Round - 119th Overall - Devin Taylor DE South Carolina - Another big body on the D-line will be a huge help.

I like it. I'd prefer depth for the interior OL or at NT in the 4th, but I love the FA targets and getting an OG and SS.

Yeah, similar to last year...we are not really "loaded" at any one position and it could be argued that we could make an upgrade at ANY position except QB. I'm reserving the NT argument after I see what Chapman can do and hopefully he can show that sometime soon. Most are going with the guilty until proven innocent aspect on him...i'm the other way around. But if he doesn't cut it...we'll need a NT for sure in either the draft or FA...but Chapman would have been a 2nd rounder if not for the injury, so i'm optimistic.

Thanks for the feedback! Should be a fun off-season.

WR Mike Williams (PIT) - As an eventual successor to Wayne, having Williams on the field will be reminiscent of the Harrison/Wayne days in Indy. How dangerous does that sound?

OT Ryan Clady (DEN) - Clady is on my wish list simply because he's one of the best left tackles out there. I don't know what the move would be if it meant putting either him or Costanzo at RT, but having two good T's on the team would help out a lot.

DE Michael Johnson (CIN) - This guy is 6'7", 270. Aka...Cory Redding's new partner in crime. Getting a guy like this will allow us to have real personnel up front to run a legit 3-4 defense. If you've ever seen him play...he's such a beast.

OLB Connor Barwin (HOU) - He'll likely be getting the franchise tag, but it won't stop me from putting him on my list. Freeney is great, but not $14 mil worth of great. He's likely gone next season unless he wants to take a big pay cut and we'll need another pass-rushing linebacker.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Love him or hate him, he's still really, really good. He already has 3 INT's on the year, which is 1 more than all Colts combined right now. Powers is getting dominated and not making a great case for a contract extension in my book. Sure, they'll keep him around, but I think he's a nickel back on our team. We need more talent at CB and DRC is going to be available.

The Draft

As it stands right now, we'd be picking at 24 based on W/L % so I'll go with that.

1st Round - 24th Overall - Chance Warmack OG Alabama - With a lot of talent at the Tackle position, Warmack could make it to the 24th spot. Seems to be a fan favorite for 1st round on these boards.

3rd Round - 86th Overall - Robert Lester SS Alabama - He's the 2nd best SS in the draft and we could use the upgrade/depth - however you want to look at it. Zibby doesn't seem like the longterm answer here.

4th Round - 119th Overall - Devin Taylor DE South Carolina - Another big body on the D-line will be a huge help.

I would much rather sign WR Danny Amendola since he is a perfect slot WR to replace Collie. We already have burners in Avery and Hilton. I like the Michael Johnson and DRC signings! Not sure we will get Clady and we need a RT more than a LT anyways.

For the draft...LOVE the pick of OG Chance Warmack. Installing him with Costanzo, Reitz, Satelle would make a solid OL and Warmack can really open holes in the run game.

Round 3 I would rather try and trade up a little by giving up a 2014 mid round pick to go back up into the 2nd to get SS Matt Elam or Kenny Vacarro. Both are SOO much better than Lester.

Round 4 we go DE/OLB so Im fine with the Devin Taylor pick.

I would much rather sign WR Danny Amendola since he is a perfect slot WR to replace Collie. We already have burners in Avery and Hilton. I like the Michael Johnson and DRC signings! Not sure we will get Clady and we need a RT more than a LT anyways.

For the draft...LOVE the pick of OG Chance Warmack. Installing him with Costanzo, Reitz, Satelle would make a solid OL and Warmack can really open holes in the run game.

Round 3 I would rather try and trade up a little by giving up a 2014 mid round pick to go back up into the 2nd to get SS Matt Elam or Kenny Vacarro. Both are SOO much better than Lester.

Round 4 we go DE/OLB so Im fine with the Devin Taylor pick.

First off..I meant Mike Wallace. Not Mike Williams (durp)

I think when Griff Whalen gets healthy, he'll be our next Austin Collie. Not interested in Amendola. Mike Wallace is a #1 WR. We need all the help we can get. Imagine how good we'd be if not for all of these dropped passes by our WR's!

Elam and Vaccaro would both be great picks, but I don't think we should/would give up multiple picks to get them.

Michael Johnson is not a 3-4 DE. He'd have to bulk up about 40 more lbs to fit that role.

I think he's big enough. It is possible to be successful at 3-4 DE being under 300 lbs. Ask J.J. Watt or Justin Smith. For my money...the two best 3-4 DE's at 295/285. Just saying...it's not unthinkable.

I think he's big enough. It is possible to be successful at 3-4 DE being under 300 lbs. Ask J.J. Watt or Justin Smith. For my money...the two best 3-4 DE's at 295/285. Just saying...it's not unthinkable.

I can't argue about the effectiveness of Watt or Smith, but from my eyeball test they're both above their respective weight listing, especially Smith....not that the semantics really matter. I do think he could make the conversion and be something of a Calais Campbell type player, but 6'7 270 is just a little too lanky to be effective as a 2 gap Dlineman. For my money I'm hoping Henry Melton makes his way over to our roster this offseason.....if the Bears let him go they're beyond stupid though.

I would much rather sign WR Danny Amendola since he is a perfect slot WR to replace Collie. We already have burners in Avery and Hilton.

Are you suggesting Hilton is an outside receiver? We'd have Wayne and Wallace outside with Hilton and Whalen splitting time in the slot. We have enough slot guys.

The Draft

A lot of what you have said is what I very much would like to happen in the offseason. I would prefer maybe sean smith instead or as well as DRC.like peytonater said, johnson isn't really a 34 DE, instead I would maybe look at arthur jones from the ravens. I like the idead of getting taylor in the draft but if he was still available, I would go after maybe margus hunt from SMU

A lot of what you have said is what I very much would like to happen in the offseason. I would prefer maybe sean smith instead or as well as DRC.like peytonater said, johnson isn't really a 34 DE, instead I would maybe look at arthur jones from the ravens. I like the idead of getting taylor in the draft but if he was still available, I would go after maybe margus hunt from SMU

If you want Margus Hunt, you'll need to do some explaining as to why Michael Johnson shouldn't be on the team. They are pretty much the same size and have similar pass-rushing traits.

The Draft

An interesting list.... but I think it's mostly a pipe dream.

Clady is not going anywhere. He'll either get the Franchise Tag or be signed Long Term. The Broncos can't let Manning's blind side tackle walk for nothing.

But, for discussion's sake, let's say they did...

Clady wants $11Mill+ a year 5 years.

Wallace wants $10 Mill+ a year for 5 years.

Johnson and Barwin could both command $6-8 Mill per year for 4 years.

Then, we need to give pay raises to certain players currently on the team. And the rest of the players on the team that are already signed to multi-year deals will all be getting raises.

Even with $40 Mill to spend, I think we've exceeded our limit.

Honestly, I think Grigson is going to be very reluctant to give out contracts that average $10 Mill+ per year. Just my hunch. I could easily be wrong. But that's my read of the man...

p.s. -- and as to the draft, I'm doubtful that any of your 3 picks will be available when we pick in those rounds. I think all three will have already been drafted.

Apologies for my post being such a downer....

our 1st priority is to sign rodgers-cromartie, he's not gonna wanna stay in philly and grigson knows him well. i think we let freeney and powers both go neither are suited for the 3-4 and vaughn can play the slot. as far as the draft i think we should take the best available pass rusher, offensively were fine warmack is great but the o-line is good enough just need the right chemistry and that'll come overtime. dion jordan or alex okafor should be the pick,both have 1st round talent and are athletic enough to play the olb in the hybrid 3-4.

An interesting list.... but I think it's mostly a pipe dream.

Clady is not going anywhere. He'll either get the Franchise Tag or be signed Long Term. The Broncos can't let Manning's blind side tackle walk for nothing.

But, for discussion's sake, let's say they did...

Clady wants $11Mill+ a year 5 years.

Wallace wants $10 Mill+ a year for 5 years.

Johnson and Barwin could both command $6-8 Mill per year for 4 years.

Then, we need to give pay raises to certain players currently on the team. And the rest of the players on the team that are already signed to multi-year deals will all be getting raises.

Even with $40 Mill to spend, I think we've exceeded our limit.

Honestly, I think Grigson is going to be very reluctant to give out contracts that average $10 Mill+ per year. Just my hunch. I could easily be wrong. But that's my read of the man...

p.s. -- and as to the draft, I'm doubtful that any of your 3 picks will be available when we pick in those rounds. I think all three will have already been drafted.

Apologies for my post being such a downer....

no apologies are needed. Your conclusions and opinions are just as valid as mine and vice versa. I listed the Free Agents as "Targets"... as in people we should look to bring in. I don't think any of them are out of the realm of possibility except Clady and Barwin personally.

As for the draft targets. I just looked at where a couple of different scouting sites had them graded and based it on that. *shrug* whatevs ;) None of us know how the draft will go. If you want proof of that...look at the mock drafts on this board back in February/March. Too funny.

The base defensive scheme at SMU is a 3-4 d,so we would atleast have a rough idea of what hunt is capable of in a 3-4 defense. With the bengals and the defense which 4-3 ( correct me if I'm wrong), it would be quite hard to determine how effective johnson would be in our scheme. Although I see what you're getting at, and believe me I would love to pick up johnson if he was already in a 3-4 d, but I think would be the safe bet.

If you want Margus Hunt, you'll need to do some explaining as to why Michael Johnson shouldn't be on the team. They are pretty much the same size and have similar pass-rushing traits.

The base defensive scheme at SMU is a 3-4 d,so we would atleast have a rough idea of what hunt is capable of in a 3-4 defense. With the bengals and the defense which 4-3 ( correct me if I'm wrong), it would be quite hard to determine how effective johnson would be in our scheme. Although I see what you're getting at, and believe me I would love to pick up johnson if he was already in a 3-4 d, but I think would be the safe bet.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love Margus Hunt on the team.

I don't know how much Bengals football you get to watch, I have to almost every week with as many Bengals fans as I have for friends...They don't run a strictly 4-3 defense. You will see Johnson rushing the passer on "passing downs" from time to time in a 3-4. He is still effective. The guy has a knack for getting to the QB and thats sometime that I don't think goes away based on where he lines up. He'd be valuable to the team is all I'm trying to say.

watt is right around 300lbs and he plays in the bum philips system which is a bit different than most 3-4 defenses. and as was mentioned above justin smith is well over 300lbs. i just don't see micheal johnson being a 34 DE.....he weighs about the same as freeney, but is 6 inches taller.

Eh Hughes has 3 sacks in 5 starts to Freeneys 2 sacks in 6 starts, Hughes needs to work on disengaging from his blocks better but he does alright, he is more a jack of all trades can tackle and do some pass rush kind of Linebacker which is one of the reasons he will probably never put up Freeney or Mathis type sacks (while not great at that teams still have to game plan for him). I do think with some work on his pass rush moves he can be an 8-10 sack guy definitly worth keeping

watt is right around 300lbs and he plays in the bum philips system which is a bit different than most 3-4 defenses. and as was mentioned above justin smith is well over 300lbs. i just don't see micheal johnson being a 34 DE.....he weighs about the same as freeney, but is 6 inches taller.

I'm just going off of their ESPN Profiles and their respective teams official roster listing. Watt 295lbs, Smith 285lbs. So...you might want to tell the teams your inside information ;)

I disagree that he couldn't play DE, but even if not, line him up at OLB. He's a pass rusher and very good at it. I'm not saying we HAVE to sign him...I just think he would bring value to the team.

I'm just going off of their ESPN Profiles and their respective teams official roster listing. Watt 295lbs, Smith 285lbs. So...you might want to tell the teams your inside information ;)

I disagree that he couldn't play DE, but even if not, line him up at OLB. He's a pass rusher and very good at it. I'm not saying we HAVE to sign him...I just think he would bring value to the team.

noting that roster info is often wrong and rarely updated is hardly inside information....

Throw in Tracy porter and DRC to the free agents and we would smash

Need to be sure Porter is healthy before dropping big bucks:

http://www.denverpos...because-seizure

"Porter recalls that before he had his epileptic attack in August, his heart was racing and his head felt light and dizzy. When those symptoms returned before the Broncos traveled to San Diego for their Oct. 15 game against the Chargers, the team's medical staff held him back as a precaution."

Perhaps instead of resorting to name calling you could enlighten us on Wilforks true weight if not, then 325 is it then

saying one is ignorant on a subject is not name calling. if you wanna believe wilfork has only gained 2lbs since his combine workout go ahead.

Need to be sure Porter is healthy before dropping big bucks:

http://www.denverpos...because-seizure

"Porter recalls that before he had his epileptic attack in August, his heart was racing and his head felt light and dizzy. When those symptoms returned before the Broncos traveled to San Diego for their Oct. 15 game against the Chargers, the team's medical staff held him back as a precaution."

if he's not we will spend less for more

saying one is ignorant on a subject is not name calling. if you wanna believe wilfork has only gained 2lbs since his combine workout go ahead.

Oh Im certainly not gullible enough to believe he only gained 2lbs, I do wonder how much he weighs, I bet its a little south of 340 though

So, since i'm so ignorant...can you please provide me with your source of truth that is far superior to my pedestrian methods?

it's called eye sight.....plus players in the nfl and nba have joked about height/weight discrepancy for years . i'm not sure why you're making such a big deal about something that is well known.

it's called eye sight.....plus players in the nfl and nba have joked about height/weight discrepancy for years . i'm not sure why you're making such a big deal about something that is well known.

lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. EYE SIGHT is more accurate than official team data measured with scales. lol. Wow...what a joke.

Andrew Luck is actually 6'7"... I have no evidence to support that, but you must believe me! I can see it! lol. Don't try to refute me with your facts!