Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is Luck's Brady?

GoColts8818

Lets just say for a second luck is as good as people say he will be almost all great qbs have a rival

Manning vs Brady, Marino vs Elway, Young vs Aikman, Montana vs Sims are a few.

So who becomes Luck's Brady and why do you think it's him? To me the easy answer is RG3 but I don't think he will be because they won't play often. I think it's more likely to be a guy in the AFC. I think it might end up being a young guy like dalton or tannahill.

im thinking its going to be Luck vs RG3 in the coming years. the press has already started the whole who will have a better year. now it will be who can get their team to the superbowl first.

The only problem with that is they would only play every 4 years, or in the Superbowl. The Colts and Patriots play each other almost every year. At this moment I say Tannehill, or Barkley.

I thought Barkley might be the next big thing, but based on the history of USC QBs Sanchez, Leinart, heck even back to Palmer - I think that team has done so well because of its defense and offensive weapons around the QB and not on the QBs superior talent.

This was the first person to come to my mind. I think Barkley is going to make a great QB in this league.

He won't be. If someone is dumb enough to take him round 1 they'll regret it. I'm glad we didn't listen to the guys who said if we keep Manning we should draft a QB in the '13 draft. Quite an unimpressive class.

The only problem with that is they would only play every 4 years, or in the Superbowl. The Colts and Patriots play each other almost every year. At this moment I say Tannehill, or Barkley.

The only reason the Colts and Patriots have played each other for the past 10+ years straight is because of demand...The NFL always puts 2 teams together if there is a rivalry or the demand is high because of things like "Manning and Brady"...I have a feeling we'll see the Redskins on our schedule starting next year and it'll become year after year if the hype stays high.

The only reason the Colts and Patriots have played each other for the past 10+ years straight is because of demand...The NFL always puts 2 teams together if there is a rivalry or the demand is high because of things like "Manning and Brady"...I have a feeling we'll see the Redskins on our schedule starting next year and it'll become year after year if the hype stays high.

I think it was due to the fact that Indy and New England won their divisions almost every year. They put the games on in Primetime because of the two future HOF Quarterbacks.

I just dont see barkley being a improvement to an NFL team. more of a Mark Sancehz or Matt Leinart type. i say those guys because they were heisman hyped QB's who really have not done much in the NFL. Leinart rarely anything. he gets a start then he gets a season ending injury, he is nothing but a back up. ironically he is a back up to another USC QB Carson Palmer.

Tannenhill looked pretty good and the dolphins have a pretty good and young enough team around them. Brady is getting older and won't be in the playoff pic over the next 3-5 years as an automatic bid like years past and good give way to the dolphins. Jets suck, bills I'm not sold on as anything special so I think the match could be tannenhill. Heck, Barkley hasn't even played in the nfl so who knows how good bad or how quick he develops.

Dalton is another possibility as he has looked pretty good but it's Cincy and their owner will find a good way to disrupt progress if it involves paying the players for performance.

Weeden, maybe but his team isn't there yet and may not sinc in time plus he has about 5-7 years in career left anyways due to age.

That's about all I can see in the AFC that he would be likely to go up against more consistantly over a 10 year period.

actually has a lot more to do with the way the scheduling is done...

6 games vs the division

3 vs teams in same conference who finished in same place in division (winners vs winners, 2nd vs 2nd etc)

3 vs an AFC division (goes on a rotation)

4 vs an NFC division (goes on a rotation)

and thats your 16 games, has nothing to do with what the NFL wants to see

Everyone keeps commenting on how terrible USC QBs have been, but these comparisons do not work anymore. Sanchez, Leinart, and Palmer were all Pete Carroll products; while Matt Barkley is a Lane Kiffin product.

and lane kiffin has a big resume on proven QB's in the NFL???? that dont even work.

Robert Griffin, no doubt. It would be similar to the Manning Bowl-you wouldn't be able to see it much, but when you did, it would be certainly almost always the game of the week. If you want to go the AFC route then who knows...maybe Tannehill, maybe someone who is not drafted yet. The Dolphins aren't going to usurp the Patriots until Brady leaves, so they won't exactly be perennial contenders yet. No one expected Brady, of all people, to rival 18...maybe a sixth rounder drafted next year will turn into a rival for 12. :)

Or it could be that they always placed first in their divisions and the next years schedule is based on your placement in your division against others of the same rank. But call me crazy, I like your conspiracy theory though.

I also think this will take a couple more years to establish....but I never bought into the media/fan-driven QB vs. QB concept anyway.

Sure....it's fun for conversation and rivalry's sake....but there's a reason NFL teams have 53-man rosters.

All I can say is give Andrew Luck....with the poise, intelligence and athleticism he's already showing, a top flight run/pass-blocking O-line....and for the purposes of these QB vs. QB debates he may wind up having no equal.

If it's truly Luck's foil to Manning's Brady, he won't be drafted until the 6th round in 2014!

Seriously though, you can't manufacture a rivalry, so only time will tell. There are no up-and-comers who will square off with Indy regularly, so right now it seems to me the position is vacant.

I think the OP makes a valid point about it not being RG3 because they won't play each other very often....

So, Tannehill may wind up being that guy....

That said....

I still think it's RG3.... they came out together. Andrew and Griffin went 1-2. RG3 snubbed the Colts for a private workout. He wanted the Redskins, and Washington clearly wanted him, as they made a gigantic trade to get his rights. There were, and still are enough NFL types/fans convinced the Colts had made a mistake.

Their games are similar in some ways, and not so similar in other ways.... and yes, there's the race angle as well.

Put it all into a blender and I think most will watch these two and compare Luck with RG3 for their careers.

Just my two cents....

I was thinking this very thing during the game yesturday...

Could Tannehill be that guy???

While sports media has hyped the RGIII-Luck rivalry, that just won't get built up like Peyton-Brady due to the fact they won't play in as many meaningful games...

Tannehill could be that guy though, Miami has a good team built around Tannehill & it looks like we will be playing them next year already so theres that, too...

Colts will likely be fighting Texans for division titles for a few years as will Miami/New England, so Luck may be playing Tannehill often the next few seasons...

The only candidate I say right now would be Tannehill. I had him pegged as a bust and he's proven me wrong so far, he just needs to keep working. Hopefully the Miami FO doesn't mess things up....I know their fans have wanted Ireland gone for a while.

Also could say Ryan Mallet and keep Colts/Pats rivalry strong....

Cleveland is very scrappy, if they give Weeden some weapons that team could be pretty good.

Problem is, with as old as Weeden is, it better take off soon. Brady/Manning didn't just pop up as soon as they were both in the league... It really didn't take off until after the 2003 AFC Championship game.